2020/2021 Critical Care Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That would be nice. But, as usual, supply and demand dictates, i.e. programs have more applicants than slots, thus no motivation to improve transparency, etc for applicants...

Plus the usual difficulty of "what makes a program good". You could objectively rank things like board pass rate (and most programs do provide that bit of data), and number of research projects published by the program (and most programs do provide that bit of data)...

But how do you rank things like...
"Sickness of patients" (other than ranking average APACHE score divided by number of beds; but APACHE is something you have to pay to subscribe to and not every hospital does that)
"Ability to get the job you want after graduation" (which is subjective and dependent on graduates giving accurate feedback about their personal job hunt)
"Desirability of location" (this is subjective and the ideal answer is different for different people)
"Frequency of fellow remediation/probation/firing" (there's a lot of argument about how much of this is dependent on the institution and how much is dependent on the fellow; and is it per capita? total number? My program is 0/0/0 but... it's also 3 months old so not a useful piece of data)

Even things that should be easier like "name recognition" are still somewhat subjective and the relative weight is different.

Which are the top CCM programs?

See above

Reactions: 1 user
Plus the usual difficulty of "what makes a program good". You could objectively rank things like board pass rate (and most programs do provide that bit of data), and number of research projects published by the program (and most programs do provide that bit of data)...

"Sickness of patients" (other than ranking average APACHE score divided by number of beds; but APACHE is something you have to pay to subscribe to and not every hospital does that)
"Ability to get the job you want after graduation" (which is subjective and dependent on graduates giving accurate feedback about their personal job hunt)
"Desirability of location" (this is subjective and the ideal answer is different for different people)
"Frequency of fellow remediation/probation/firing" (there's a lot of argument about how much of this is dependent on the institution and how much is dependent on the fellow; and is it per capita? total number? My program is 0/0/0 but... it's also 3 months old so not a useful piece of data)

Even things that should be easier like "name recognition" are still somewhat subjective and the relative weight is different.

See above

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do offers usually come via email or phone call? I am stuck in a classroom for the next two weeks with zero cell phone service from 7-5pm and it is making me uber anxious.

See above
Hi Dr Bob,
Do you usually send an email to all the candidates you interviewed once your spots are filled to let them know that? Is that something most programs do? Thanks

I dont seem to be able to edit the spreadsheet, but university of maryland ccm filled all of their spots

Has anyone heard if the ccm spot has been fill at medstar washington hospital center in DC?

Do offers usually come via email or phone call? I am stuck in a classroom for the next two weeks with zero cell phone service from 7-5pm and it is making me uber anxious.

I've heard of both. Via phone call/text/email.

A friend missed a call 3x so the PD texted him. I have a feeling if they want you they will find a way to reach you aka email/text despite missed calls

Yes.
The official offer is the written one (eg: the email). The courtesy notification is the phonecall.
Because our offers are time-limited (albeit 48 hours), I call all of the people I'm sending an offer to, so they know to check their email. My biggest worry is that I would send an offer to the wrong email and then the person I want wouldn't respond. So by calling them I ensure that they look for it and if they don't get it they'd call/text me back.

Hi Dr Bob,
Do you usually send an email to all the candidates you interviewed once your spots are filled to let them know that? Is that something most programs do? Thanks

Yes, we do. I don't know if all programs do it. I actually send an email to everyone who applied; not just the people we interviewed. I figure it's simple courtesy. A "sorry we've filled all the spots" email is a lot better than silence and wondering for months if you missed a notification...

Reactions: 2 users
I see the georgetown em-cc spot is filled on the spreadsheet. Anyone aware if this is the same as the medstar washington hospital center program (I believe they are one and the same)

For the spreadsheet, how accurate is it?
I just interviewed at one of the programs and they still interviewing till probably October.
I'm pretty sure that most of the program have not offered yet and I think this spreadsheet is misinterpreted.

Anyone has any idea about philadelphia programs... Jefferson north east or Sidney kimmel?
Also, do u guys know any program on NRMP?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just offering a glimmer of hope to everyone.
My husband applied for CCM - got one interview from an academic institution recently, they offered him a prematch and he accepted.
It only takes one interview! Good luck to all, don't give up! :)

Reactions: 2 users
I’m finishing up a fellowship in another sub specialty and I accepted a 2 yr CCM offer. I would technically be a PGY6 when I start critical care - the contract states that I will be designated as a PGY5 and receive a PGY5 salary despite my current experience. I was wondering if DrBob or anyone here on this forum had any experience with this?

People who interviewed at UPMC, did you get a generic message today about them being filled?

Ccm not going thru match works against candidates, I had 10 interviews and was at real risk of being without a spot but then got lucky at the end.so I will favor Ccm being in match .
Ccm is incredibly competitive and I was told during numerous interviews that Ccm programs were receiving 100-150 applications per spot which is stunning.

Ccm is very cerebral and intellectually challenging

best of luck to y'all

EM applicant applying IM-CCM next year, might be a silly logistical question, but how did everyone gather their letters of rec? Where do you have them submitted? ERAS? A third party site that you can then have the letters sent wherever you need them?

If ERAS, do we need to register with ERAS to get that process started and have access to letter uploading?

Don't have access to very much advising for this process so any info is greatly appreciated!!

EM applicant applying IM-CCM next year, might be a silly logistical question, but how did everyone gather their letters of rec? Where do you have them submitted? ERAS? A third party site that you can then have the letters sent wherever you need them?

If ERAS, do we need to register with ERAS to get that process started and have access to letter uploading?

Don't have access to very much advising for this process so any info is greatly appreciated!!

They’re uploaded to ERAS just like for residency

Once this cycle ends eras will open up for the next cycle and you can create an account. You’ll have to purchase a token. I think we were able to start uploading stuff in June or July this year

For the spreadsheet, how accurate is it?
I just interviewed at one of the programs and they still interviewing till probably October.
I'm pretty sure that most of the program have not offered yet and I think this spreadsheet is misinterpreted.

i can only speak for the programs i interviewed at, but they all interviewed and offered spots very early

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,
Hope you guys are well. I’m an applicant from IM who’s interested in applying for critical care next year. How much would doing a 4th year chief help.

thank you for your input In advance

Hi,
Hope you guys are well. I’m an applicant from IM who’s interested in applying for critical care next year. How much would doing a 4th year chief help.

thank you for your input In advance
Hello. I think it does matter and gives you and advantage. With that being said, I was not chief, had another administrative position (House Staff President) and still got 8 interviews for CCM, received two offers and matched.
I think the most important aspect is the way you present your CV, be thorough and specific, having connections helps TONSSS, but ultimately, your LoRs will give you the extra push.

Last edited:
Hello. I think it does matter and gives you and advantage. With that being said, I was not chief, had another administrative position (House Staff President) and still got 8 interviews for CMM, received two offers and matched.
I think the most important aspect is the way you present your CV, be thorough and specific, having connections helps TONSSS, but ultimately, your LoRs will give you the extra push.
Thank you so much for your input!
I hope to be in your shoes this year :)