2019 Radiology Job Market ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sircalvin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking at the future radiology job forecast. Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I wouldn’t call next year a toss up.

Drastic shifts in hiring practices don’t happen abruptly. The job market will stay blazing hot for people to take academic/corporate jobs

Members don't see this ad :)
top notch. my buddy is dumber than a door nail and he landed a cush academic job. come on in. ai is a joke.

Reactions: 1 users
The only threats immediately observable to the radiologists are AI and bundling reimbursements. The latter lacks the policy infrastructure to be a threat right now, the former lacks the technical infrastructure to be a threat. I’d say for the next three years at least the job market will be what it currently is.

The only threats immediately observable to the radiologists are AI and bundling reimbursements. The latter lacks the policy infrastructure to be a threat right now, the former lacks the technical infrastructure to be a threat. I’d say for the next three years at least the job market will be what it currently is.
radiology is the prime rib steak of medicine. my med school buddies complain about everything under the sun with their fields. rads has none of those problems. AI is a joke. it's something radiologists bring up as a conversational piece. i know i do when talking with coworkers. 'blah blah the NP down the street has taken some of my business blah blah'. radiologists look dumb standing there and grinning their way to the bank. of course, AI: 'yeah, i'll be replaced by Alexa soon haha'. we're making mountains out of molehills and you know it. i know it. i said it before and i'll repeat, rads is the medicine prime rib grade A.

Reactions: 3 users
radiology is the prime rib steak of medicine. my med school buddies complain about everything under the sun with their fields. rads has none of those problems. AI is a joke. it's something radiologists bring up as a conversational piece. i know i do when talking with coworkers. 'blah blah the NP down the street has taken some of my business blah blah'. radiologists look dumb standing there and grinning their way to the bank. of course, AI: 'yeah, i'll be replaced by Alexa soon haha'. we're making mountains out of molehills and you know it. i know it. i said it before and i'll repeat, rads is the medicine prime rib grade A.

AI will not replace radiologists, but when people say “improve workflow” what it amounts to is increased efficiency and increased rate of list clearing. This may end up reducing the need for radiologists, tightening the job market.

Reactions: 3 users
AI will not replace radiologists, but when people say “improve workflow” what it amounts to is increased efficiency and increased rate of list clearing. This may end up reducing the need for radiologists, tightening the job market.
machine learning hype has existed since dinosaurs were roaming the earth. well, maybe not that long but certainly for the last 15+ years. here are two relevant papers from the year 2000. 20 years ago now. https://pubs.rsna.org/doi/abs/10.1148/radiology.214.3.r00mr22823 An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie radiologists are still churning out studies and average salaries for radiology has increased over the last decade. say what you will, but i think algorithms will improve efficiency to the benefit of radiologists. in the long term, yes there could be contraction of the job market. but, that's decades away.

fwiw - there is a difference in ai and machine learning. machine learning depends on your parameters and is generally what we talk about when we discuss computers overtaking radiologists. ai is independent learning that does not rely on software engineers or human interface.

I doubt most radiologists can read much faster than they already do. Maybe AI will help the slow readers. I doubt it. They’re slow for reasons unrelated to what AI brings to the table. AI will improve quality, accuracy, sensitivity, and specificity, not so much speed. AI will help “efficiency and workflow” in that it will triage which cases need to be read yesterday, and which ones can wait. So I doubt less radiologists will be needed as a result of AI.

I predict job market will remain just as hot or slightly more so in 2020.

AI won't make a dent in the Radiology job market until it becomes sufficiently advanced. When or if it will be advanced enough to be used in practice is anyone's guess. I will say the tech's working on AI seem strangely malicious towards Radiologists in general, however, as if they're working against rather than with them.

Reactions: 1 user
AI won't make a dent in the Radiology job market until it becomes sufficiently advanced. When or if it will be advanced enough to be used in practice is anyone's guess. I will say the tech's working on AI seem strangely malicious towards Radiologists in general, however, as if they're working against rather than with them.
its like all the socially awkward geeks who couldnt hack med school interviews went into software engineering to get their revenge on the 'evil, money grabbing radiologists'

Reactions: 1 users