Navy 2019 4-Year HPSP Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DentalDoge

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just wanted to start a thread for those who are applying for the 4-year HPSP program for (this year) the c/o 2019, so that people can ask questions and get questions answered as there are alot of conflicting information out there.

Members don't see this ad.

Currently in Navy HSCP program. A little different than HPSP but I have decent knowledge on both subjects.

Will be happy to answer any questions you folks have..

I'm a third year dental student in the HSCP program and I would like to serve as a resource for those applying to HSCP and HPSP. I'm also an executive officer in the military dental club at my school so if I can't answer your questions, I will connect you with someone who can. Unfortunately some of the information provided to applicants is inaccurate, so please ask questions here so that those in the programs can offer thier experience.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I've been considering the navy HPSP for a while (just submitted my D-school applications) and I think it's a great deal all around. Convincing my wife is a little more difficult... anyways I'm wondering what deployments are currently looking like? Seems like the Navy and Air Force hasn't changed too much, but now that we're essentially out of Iraq I'm wondering how the Army has changed? Yes I realize that it could be WWIII and a totally different picture in 4 years.

In the Army there continue to be deployments to Afghanistan and we have had some recent ones to Bosnia/Kosovo. Typically they ask for volunteers first, but when they can't get a volunteer they assign someone. Deployments are usually 4 1/2 months now for most dentists.

I agree, hopefully the US avoids any wars for a while... say at least 9 years or so (when my payback would be done)

Never underestimate the power of the Military-Industrial Complex and of how easy public opinion can be swayed. I'm sure there are conflicts we will be entering off and on for many years to come.

Do any of you happen to know how many scholarships are available?
I believe for AF it is 12
Navy is 60 for hpsp 20 for hscp (An officer told me there are also 180 applicants last year. Can anyone confirm? That seems low)
What about army?

Do any of you happen to know how many scholarships are available?
I believe for AF it is 12
Navy is 60 for hpsp 20 for hscp (An officer told me there are also 180 applicants last year. Can anyone confirm? That seems low)
What about army?

There were 70 Army scholarships last cycle, usually hovers around there.

There were 70 Army scholarships last cycle, usually hovers around there.
I would imagine earning one of these scholarships is highly competitive. What are they looking for exactly in applicants?

I would imagine earning one of these scholarships is highly competitive. What are they looking for exactly in applicants?

They are getting more competitive each year with the soaring tuition trend. Last year, all 70 of the Army scholarships were given out in the first board (January), I would imagine it to be similar for the other branches. The most important thing you can do is to have everything completed/submitted and ready for board review before the first board, or else you may not even be looked at considering what happened last year. I believe the recommended/rough stats are >3.5 GPA and >19 AA, however as long as you have your application completed with a LOA (Letter of Acceptance) for review by January, your chances greatly increase.

How long does it take a recruiter to contact you normally? It has been about ten days now since I first contacted a person from the navy and 4 days since I last had contacted. I heard this matter is pretty time sensitive so I was wondering if there are anything I can do ATM while I wait for someone to contact me?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Ive been getting ready for my interviews.

In the process of completing the first part of my application. Still kind of confused about the whole process. Not exactly sure when I am supposed send in my letters, transcripts, and stuff. I will try to dig up a timeline or a summary of the application process I suppose.

Are the navy interviews conducted before or after your packet is submitted with the letter of acceptance?

edit:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...g-hpsp-couple-questions.962482/#post-13361420

Does this advice still hold true? You only have three days to accept or decline the army hpsp offer?

Last edited:
In the process of completing the first part of my application. Still kind of confused about the whole process. Not exactly sure when I am supposed send in my letters, transcripts, and stuff. I will try to dig up a timeline or a summary of the application process I suppose.

Are the navy interviews conducted before or after your packet is submitted with the letter of acceptance?

edit:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...g-hpsp-couple-questions.962482/#post-13361420

Does this advice still hold true? You only have three days to accept or decline the army hpsp offer?

You should be sending your transcripts/letters/personal statement ASAP. Once you have contacted a recruiter, ask if you could send these things to him/her. He/she will just put them together and work on completing your packet. I was told by my recruiter that you need to have a Letter of acceptance/email before you can have your packet submitted to the board meeting (the first board meeting is around december so an acceptance by then would be nice)..

The interviews are conducted to enhance your packet as it goes to the board meeting

I don't believe that you only have 3 days to decide to accept/decline the scholarship.

Has anyone received any news about any of the board deadlines? I have been told that there might be a pre-dec1 board this year.

how soon should you have everything in? would it be late now to start the application process?

how soon should you have everything in? would it be late now to start the application process?

*Speaking only regarding Navy HPSP.*

Well generally, you application cant be submitted until you have an acceptance letter (which is dec 1). I can't really say how earlier you should start your application process. My recruiter seem to be able to get me through the bulk of the paperwork pretty quick (but I am stuck in limbo right now because of problems with BUMED...).

So yeah the first board isn't until december. But I heard a rumor from my recruiter that the Navy is now allowing early submission for an even earlier board (like the army?). However, i am not sure how accurate that rumor is because I heard nothing else about it. I am not sure what other Navy HPSP applicants are hearing either...

Last edited:
Word on the street is that the Navy isn't doing the $20,000 signing bonus this year. And, as expected, with the sequestration of the military that less (40-50) scholarships will be available this year.

Tried to contact Navy recruiter to apply. They don't seem very interested in helping me since they probably know I've already applied with the Army :(

Tried to contact Navy recruiter to apply. They don't seem very interested in helping me since they probably know I've already applied with the Army :(
How would they know that?

I have a question, I am interested in the HPSP scholarship so I went on the website and submit a request for more info, only to get an email that my age is making me ineligible, 20 going on 21 in less than a month, but I have a couple of questions and I would really appreciate your responses.

1) i'm currently a permanent resident, but i will get my citizenship in 1-1.5 years, can I still apply for the scholarship?
2) if the answer to the above question is no, can i pay my way through college on loans and apply to a similar scholarship/contract as a dental school graduate?

thank you for your time

I have a question, I am interested in the HPSP scholarship so I went on the website and submit a request for more info, only to get an email that my age is making me ineligible, 20 going on 21 in less than a month, but I have a couple of questions and I would really appreciate your responses.

1) i'm currently a permanent resident, but i will get my citizenship in 1-1.5 years, can I still apply for the scholarship?
2) if the answer to the above question is no, can i pay my way through college on loans and apply to a similar scholarship/contract as a dental school graduate?

thank you for your time
As far as I know, being a citizen is the most basic of requirement to apply for the scholarship.

And for no. 2, do you mean pay your way through dental school (not college)? There's the health fee assistance program and the direct accession program. But neither of those are good deals in terms of money.

On another note... Anyone with any updates from the navy?

As far as I know, being a citizen is the most basic of requirement to apply for the scholarship.

And for no. 2, do you mean pay your way through dental school (not college)? There's the health fee assistance program and the direct accession program. But neither of those are good deals in terms of money.

On another note... Anyone with any updates from the navy?

Basically you can fill out the paperwork and do MEPS and stuff whenever you want (sooner is better esp. if you have medical conditions). But they won't really consider you until you get an acceptance, unless you have some ridiculously good stats

I am super nervous that I wont get the scholarship b/c I broke my tib/fib about 10 years ago and had surgery on it. It doesnt give me any problems at all. My recruiter says that all I need is a waiver and Ill be ok but Im still super worried about it. I have a 3.64 GPA and 20 AA DAT. Does anyone know someone that has gotten the scholarship with a health waiver??

So I need to contact a recruiter in order to start my application process? I can't do it online?

I am super nervous that I wont get the scholarship b/c I broke my tib/fib about 10 years ago and had surgery on it. It doesnt give me any problems at all. My recruiter says that all I need is a waiver and Ill be ok but Im still super worried about it. I have a 3.64 GPA and 20 AA DAT. Does anyone know someone that has gotten the scholarship with a health waiver??

You can totally get a scholarship, it will just take longer to get your paperwork processed and approved. How much longer? Probably should ask your recruiter. Either way start early because it's another hoop you have to jump through

So I need to contact a recruiter in order to start my application process? I can't do it online?
Yes. You absolutely need a recruiter to get started on the process.

Has anyone's recruiter told him/her when's the deadline for the first board for the navy?

Yes. Your recruiter will have all the information and paperwork you need to complete. You dont think they were going to give away potentially a million dollars of taxpayer money to someone who they have never met.

Yes. You absolutely need a recruiter to get started on the process.

Has anyone's recruiter told him/her when's the deadline for the first board for the navy?

I dont know if there is a deadline, but I have everything in before Dec 1st. So that the only thing holding my application back is the acceptance letter.

Do any of you know what is the date for the upcoming boards?

Do any of you know what is the date for the upcoming boards?
the first board is tomorrow, december 5. my recruiter said they release their decisions on december 19.

Anyone know if the Dec 5th board includes 3 Yr HPSP applicants?

What... The first board is today? I was told some people might not need an acceptance letter. Is this the one?
Didn't even know there was one..

Last edited:
when is all of the paperwork due for the January boards??? I just have my interview left and hopefully my recruiter will send it out by monday

There's seems to be clamor on my end. Is the next deadline coming up soon?

Hi everyone. How did you guys do your interviews? (In-person, phone, skype)

I had my interviews on monday... It was over the phone... Your recruiter sends out a request and they have to set up a time with you... Afterwards they write up a report of how the interview went and send it to your recruiter...

Preparing for my interviews on Monday. Any tips?

Just have reasoning about why dentistry, why navy, and have questions for them. Pretty stress free.

Got the call from my recruiter a couple weeks ago that I got the 4-year Navy dental HPSP. My kit was sent to NRC for the November board. Can't wait to get started with everything!

Last edited:
Got the call from my recruiter a couple weeks ago that I got the 4-year Navy dental HPSP. My kit was sent to NRC for the November board. Can't wait to get started with everything!
There was a Nov board?? My recruiter told me the earliest would be Jan... Why does it seem like every recruiter is saying different things to us?? :(

Ha, I heard there was a Nov and Dec board. I dont think anyone really knows.

I was told that there was a board for both Army and Navy as early as October.