2019-2020 Johns Hopkins

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Are there any MD/PhD specific prompts? If so, could you post them?

MSTP secondary was all MD prompts plus:

Please list your area(s) of interest in graduate study. This may be general and/or specific. (2500 characters)

Foreign language reading proficiency

List of people writing MD/PhD letters for you for graduate program

@PapaGuava

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
List of people writing MD/PhD letters for you for graduate program

Does this mean people who were your PIs essentially? I don't think they were very clear. I explicitly told all my letter writers to address MD/PhD programs, so I don't know is that qualifies.

@Beyonce2.0

Does this mean people who were your PIs essentially? I don't think they were very clear. I explicitly told all my letter writers to address MD/PhD programs, so I don't know is that qualifies.

@Beyonce2.0

Yeah I interpreted it as just PIs since it says that the letters are in support of your application to the graduate program.

Members don't see this ad :)
how many characters are you guys writing for each prompt? like i wrote 5000 for one and like 500 for another...

I had asked a similar question about letters and got a response--they are strict. You will need a letter from a non-science faculty member who taught you in a course. From what I can tell Hopkins doesn't start sending out IIs until mid-August. Can you get a letter before then?

!! I managed to get one of my non-science professors to write me a rec, and he said it will be strong! So i'm excited. However, all 10 of my slots are already taken, and I wanted to remove the 2 slots I had for the professor that had ghosted me (1 for MD only schools, 1 for MD/PhD). I've only been able to mark those letters as "Letters not sending." Do I call AMCAS and ask them to remove those slots, or is there anything else I can do to add this new letter??

!! I managed to get one of my non-science professors to write me a rec, and he said it will be strong! So i'm excited. However, all 10 of my slots are already taken, and I wanted to remove the 2 slots I had for the professor that had ghosted me (1 for MD only schools, 1 for MD/PhD). I've only been able to mark those letters as "Letters not sending." Do I call AMCAS and ask them to remove those slots, or is there anything else I can do to add this new letter??
I believe you must call AMCAS

how many characters are you guys writing for each prompt? like i wrote 5000 for one and like 500 for another...

I'm keeping them all under the original limits so like less than 1000 characters for all of them. I am giving a longer one of like 2500 for the overcome adversity essay. 5000 is super long i don't think they'll read the whole thing. Which essay is your long one?

I submitted my secondary a while ago but have not received an email confirmation as I have from most schools. Anyone else experience the same thing? Also most schools have a way for applicants to check if their application is fully complete (letters have been received, etc.) and I'm not seeing that from JHU.

+2

Sorry if this was already addressed, but I emailed JHU in regards to using soft returns instead of hard returns and they told me they were not expecting any paragraphs whatsoever for secondaries. Just an FYI if anyone here was wondering about that.

Sorry if this was already addressed, but I emailed JHU in regards to using soft returns instead of hard returns and they told me they were not expecting any paragraphs whatsoever for secondaries. Just an FYI if anyone here was wondering about that.
Apologize for my ignorance, but what does this mean? I'm not sure I know what soft and hard returns mean even after looking them up.

Apologize for my ignorance, but what does this mean? I'm not sure I know what soft and hard returns mean even after looking them up.

Oh I was basing it off of last year's prompts, cause they specifically asked not to use Tab + Hard Returns then, so I just asked to see if that still applied.

I also don't know this very well, but to my current knowledge, a hard return is essentially whenever you press "Enter", which in things like Word will indicate that you want to start a new paragraph. A soft return is when you press "Shift + Enter", which Word will read as you wanting to start a new line or something along those lines.

Oh I was basing it off of last year's prompts, cause they specifically asked not to use Tab + Hard Returns then, so I just asked to see if that still applied.

I also don't know this very well, but to my current knowledge, a hard return is essentially whenever you press "Enter", which in things like Word will indicate that you want to start a new paragraph. A soft return is when you press "Shift + Enter", which Word will read as you wanting to start a new line or something along those lines.
So they basically want us to hit shift+enter between paragraphs? Thank you for replying to me btw.

Members don't see this ad :)
So they basically want us to hit shift+enter between paragraphs? Thank you for replying to me btw.

No problem! Well their words were "we do not expect to see any paragraphs" when I asked if soft returns were okay, so I'm assuming that means that your entire secondary essay should be 1 paragraph.

No problem! Well their words were "we do not expect to see any paragraphs" when I asked if soft returns were okay, so I'm assuming that means that your entire secondary essay should be 1 paragraph.
Hmm okay that's especially weird since they gave us 9999 characters this year

Reactions: 2 users
lol i definitely had multiple paragraphs....

lol i definitely had multiple paragraphs....

It could also be a case where the person who responded to my email may not be involved in the actual application review process. It was never stated in the prompt this year, so there's that.

I'm keeping them all under the original limits so like less than 1000 characters for all of them. I am giving a longer one of like 2500 for the overcome adversity essay. 5000 is super long i don't think they'll read the whole thing. Which essay is your long one?

My essays are 4000/2000/2000/2000 characters...I think I went a little overboard but I wanted to tell a full story haha

How did you all fill out the "Family Background" question? The only instructions are "For your siblings, can you list Undergraduate School attended, Graduate School attended & Degrees." Do they only want to know about my sibling? Should I not list where my parents went to college? Very strange wording on this one.

How did you all fill out the "Family Background" question? The only instructions are "For your siblings, can you list Undergraduate School attended, Graduate School attended & Degrees." Do they only want to know about my sibling? Should I not list where my parents went to college? Very strange wording on this one.
I just listed sibling

Admittedly I applied 5 years ago, but I did not have a non-sci letter due to various circumstances (and I've reviewed plenty of apps w/o non-sci letters). In fact, all my letters were pretty much... science. Ultimately was accepted to several schools where I did not fit their LoR requirements, so I don't think it's a complete deal-breaker.

The most informative LoR portfolio likely comes from a wide breadth of people – professors, employers, PIs, nonprofit leaders, etc. I think the non-science LoR is an effort to get someone who can attest to a different skillset than your usual pre-med science req letters. Ask people who you think would be eager and excited about your application; those are the ones that want to be read!

I'd say a lacklustre letter is more harmful than the absence of one. Often times the professorial letters can be the least informative (or I am sure mine were at any rate: "Hella Nutella was a student in my bio class. She did good on exams. Did not seem to have glaring personality defects. Once ate an entire wheel of Laughing Cow cheese during a midterm").

I'm gonna go with this and hope it works. I have a letter from my graduate advisor and PI (graduated in 2015, currently work for him as research staff), a post-bacc science professor, and a physician from a long term (8 year) clinical volunteer experience. Hopefully that'll be good enough.

According to last year's thread, the first person was marked complete and received an email on 8/9!

I just got another email telling me about the letter of recommendation requirement and asking me to upload a photo. Interesting how this is separate from the secondary.

Reactions: 3 users
I just got another email telling me about the letter of recommendation requirement and asking me to upload a photo. Interesting how this is separate from the secondary.
Same just got this as well. Any chance this is correlated with an incoming II?

Literally got so excited when it said "invites you to take the next step with your application" before I realized they just wanted a photo

Well...first time in my life anyone DMed me for a photo, just sayin

• Haha
They seriously couldn't come up with a better way to phrase that than "we invite you to take the next step with your application"???

If we have already submitted our letters of rec to AMCAS we don't need to take any further steps right (other than uploading a photo)

They seriously couldn't come up with a better way to phrase that than "we invite you to take the next step with your application"???

My thoughts exactly, "Please upload documents..." or something would've suffice

Did you receive a complete email from them before this email?

just got another email asking me to fill in pre reqs

Same just got this as well. Any chance this is correlated with an incoming II?
Did you receive a complete email from them before this email?

As much as I would love to hope that I might have an II at JHU, my file isn't even complete yet haha. Still waiting on my committee recommendation packet.

As much as I would love to hope that I might have an II at JHU, my file isn't even complete yet haha. Still waiting on my committee recommendation packet.
Same....any chance you go to HYPSM?

So, I was driving when I got the notification on my watch and all I could see was "Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Regular M.D. programs invites you..."

Got home and checked this thread. :arghh:

• Haha
Edit: I spoke too soon. Got the email and I haven't received a complete email yet

Last edited:

So, I was driving when I got the notification on my watch and all I could see was "Johns Hopkins School of Medicine Regular M.D. programs invites you..."

Got home and checked this thread. :arghh:

+1! o_O

So got two emails: one for photo and one for pre-reqs. Anyone get any more emails?

Do you want a PM asking for your photo?
Dear Memelord,

The Student Doctor Network invites you to take the next step with your application. Please visit your SDN Applicant Gateway via this link to complete your next activity.

• Haha