2019-2020 Hofstra

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd tier waitlist - mid december

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol another wl. What does the tier system mean? Is it better to be on the first tier

got the 2nd tier... is not worth just being on the wl then?

Accepted via e-mail just now! Interviewed 12/20. Was deferred in an earlier wave so definitely didn't expect this lol

Reactions: 4 users
how do yall feel about the preclinical curriculum being almost entirely small-group/PBL? I feel like it'd prepare me well for residency but the downside is having to put in extra work for step 1 studying, esp since they do essay-based exams. any thoughts?

Reactions: 1 users
how do yall feel about the preclinical curriculum being almost entirely small-group/PBL? I feel like it'd prepare me well for residency but the downside is having to put in extra work for step 1 studying, esp since they do essay-based exams. any thoughts?
Second this, I like the school but having to chose between here and a school with no mandatory lectures is making it difficult...

Reactions: 4 users
Second this, I like the school but having to chose between here and a school with no mandatory lectures is making it difficult...

Agreed. The idea of having 8am classes everyday is a big yikes; I feel like I'd learn better by watching lectures at my own pace so I can pause and look stuff up.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Agreed. The idea of having 8am classes everyday is a big yikes; I feel like I'd learn better by watching lectures at my own pace so I can pause and look stuff up.
100% agree with you. I like to start my mornings with a run and nice breakfast so being able to go the library at 10 AM to study would be amazing; I can’t imagine having to rush my mornings at like 5 AM to make an 8 AM class

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah I'm having the same issue. But I've heard from students that they felt well-prepared for Step despite the CBL and essay exams. I think they supplement with Step 1-style MC questions. And with the mandatory activities, I feel like they foster a collaborative learning environment and you get to know fellow students really well. We're gonna have to interact with others and wake up early for rotations so why not get used to it, right? The good thing is that the days end at 1 pm so the rest of the day is pretty much free. So I guess it's up to personal preference.

Are there any current students who could talk about their experience with the curriculum/exams?

100% agree with you. I like to start my mornings with a run and nice breakfast so being able to go the library at 10 AM to study would be amazing; I can’t imagine having to rush my mornings at like 5 AM to make an 8 AM class

Go to sleep earlier?

• Hmm
Go to sleep earlier?

1581025387925.png

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Have y'all done anything besides FAFSA for financial aid for Hofstra yet? Or are we just waiting for forms to be released? I'm super not tech savvy and finding the portal a lil hard to navigate lol

Have y'all done anything besides FAFSA for financial aid for Hofstra yet? Or are we just waiting for forms to be released? I'm super not tech savvy and finding the portal a lil hard to navigate lol

once you pay your $100 deposit, you'll get an email from the financial aid office with the next steps.

Just stopping by to add a data point. Pre-II R today, complete 7/17!

Withdrew waitlist, good luck to everyone else

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone think that with the new p/f step 1 that Hofstra’s curriculum/early clinical exposure will be advantageous?

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone received information about second look? Or about financial aid packages? or have any info about when these will be released.

Has anyone received information about second look? Or about financial aid packages? or have any info about when these will be released.

Second look is on April 4-5. Financial aid packages won't be released until mid-March I believe.

I interviewed in Mid-December and only heard back once after that. Neither a rejection nor acceptance. Not even waitlisted. Anyone think there's no chance for an acceptance for me? The last I heard from them is that my application is still reviewed

1st tier WL. With only 1 decision left at 3 WL I am feeling very sad.

• Sad
Reactions: 5 users

Sorry to hear my friend! I know it sucks to play the WL game, but I think being put on the 1st tier puts you in a good position to get off the WL here! Keep up the faith.

Reactions: 3 users
Sorry to hear that :( but at least you made 1st tier. Be sure to send letters here and other schools you were WL to help your chances of getting off. If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that :) but at least you made 1st tier. Be sure to send letters here and other schools you were WL to help your chances of getting off. If you don't mind me asking, when did you interview?
1/21

Interesting, I also interviewed on 1/21, but I didn't get a response yet
Btw, I totally did not mean to put a smiley face in my previous message. It should have been this one :( sorry for the confusion

Last edited:
2nd tier waitlist, interviewed 1/21.

• Sad
Anyone else from 1/21 hear back yet? Am I the only one who didn't?