[2019-2020] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes. Although you’ll probably be fine assuming your sloes are good, now isn’t the time to stop playing it safe just to save a few bucks. Your app is great but all the rest of it doesn’t matter if one of your sloes has a red flag, and you have no real way of knowing that unfortunately. Whoever told you to apply to only 15 programs is out of their mind.

Well, unless that person knows what one of the SLOEs says, that would be the only way this advice made sense. Lets say you rotated at their program and they had you ranked as a top 10% candidate. Saying apply to 15 could make sense in the sense that they know they are ranking you to match, so you have a backup no matter what. I didn't apply to that many programs. I only ranked 8. I was a very competitive candidate and knew I'd match at my #1. There wasn't a point to just ranking more for me. I'm not saying everyone should cut down their number of interviews, but if you are absolutely confident you will match at your #1 or #2 spots, you certainly don't need to feel pressured into over-applying just to feel safe.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How are y'all coming up with your application list? We have great advisors at our school (at least I think so, they certainly mean well and care about our success), but each advised me to apply to a different # of programs (anywhere from 15 to 45). My classmates are having the same issue with very variable advice. My app: STEP1/2 in the 250's, US MD, midwest, 3 SLOE's uploaded by Sept 15 (both aways completed in the midwest and southeast), tons of research and pubs, involvement in EMRA, etc.

I have a pretty top heavy list, with apps all over the country, so I'm thinking I should have some backups, but whenever I try to go over a specific list with anyone, I get a "Looks good! Go for it!" without anyone actually being willing to go over program by program to see which places make the most sense.

I guess my question is, if you apply to a lot of bigger "names" outside of your region, despite having an overall strong application, should you by default just apply to all the programs in your region as well to be safe?

Apply to your 15 dream programs all over. Apply to some regional programs (10-15). You'll get interviews at all the regional ones with your stats unless you have bad SLOEs (that will be your tip off that you do). That should be more than enough.

Apply to your 15 dream programs all over. Apply to some regional programs (10-15). You'll get interviews at all the regional ones with your stats unless you have bad SLOEs (that will be your tip off that you do). That should be more than enough.

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the advice!

Members don't see this ad :)
Do programs usually display their classes's board score averages? I don't want to apply to programs if their classes' average is like 245 or something lol

Do programs usually display their classes's board score averages? I don't want to apply to programs if their classes' average is like 245 or something lol
There’s a “residency explorer” tool that has stats for a lot of programs so you can get a sense. I’ll see if I can find the link...

ETA: Residency Explorer: Log in

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
How much will average or below average SLOEs from top programs affect the # of programs you should apply to? For context, Step scores are 242/272, honored a little more than half of 3rd year, and CV considered "competitive" by PDs from top schools (solid research, strong leadership, volunteerism, etc.). Was told I could get away with applying to 30, but after seeing how strong other rotators have been on my away rotations and realizing that realistically I am probably in the bottom half of the pack I am now thinking around 60. Feel students should be warned to select away rotations very carefully, because it seems like they can undo years and years of hard work :(

The only problem you could have is if you have a low 1/3 sloe or two. Its tough, there’s a lot of strategizing in the rotation game. On one hand, you should always rotate where you want to end up. On the otherhand, you definitely want to make sure you are competitive at the place you rotate. Ultimately though, if you are a really good student who just got surrounded by all stars on rotation, you’ll probably end up with middle 1/3 sloes at worst, and that wont effect your chances that much at matching. 60 programs is probably still too many tbh. Apply to 30. Max 45. You can always add more.

I got a 14 on the svi. bottom sixth percentile. I’m freaking out over it.
I talked to PDs from my home institution, which happens to be a "top 10" program. They don't care about it, especially not compared to SLOEs, grades, board scores. They know its graded by non-medical people

I have no idea where to apply. Ive been looking at Michigan/Wisconsin schools, does anyone have any advice on which programs are known for high acuity? I guess most places in Detroit would fit.

I have no idea where to apply. Ive been looking at Michigan/Wisconsin schools, does anyone have any advice on which programs are known for high acuity? I guess most places in Detroit would fit.

Let me take some of the stress off of you. Don’t worry about applying where someone else tells you you should apply. No matter where you train, you were going to see enough patients and do enough procedures to be a functional EM doc when you get out. So apply where you want to live, or where you wanna work. Dont worry about other peoples perception of one program vs another having sicker people. Just go where YOU want to go. You’ll be a lot happier in the end that way.

Reactions: 2 users
If I have 4 interviews granted as part of my auditions, can I count those toward the ideal 10-12 number for total interviews or should I aim to get an additional 12 interviews in order to hit that match rate from charting outcomes? (I think it's 95-99%)

If I have 4 interviews granted as part of my auditions, can I count those toward the ideal 10-12 number for total interviews or should I aim to get an additional 12 interviews in order to hit that match rate from charting outcomes? (I think it's 95-99%)

The data are based on the number of programs you rank, so you do include the interviews granted as part of audition rotations. Really, those are even higher-yield because you (probably) have a better shot at matching at places you rotate, presuming they do well. A substantial part of our residency class comes from our subinternship.

Reactions: 4 users
The data are based on the number of programs you rank, so you do include the interviews granted as part of audition rotations. Really, those are even higher-yield because you (probably) have a better shot at matching at places you rotate, presuming they do well. A substantial part of our residency class comes from our subinternship.

That’s reassuring to hear, thank you!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Sooooo I just did my SVI, thought I was doing the practice one BUT apparently I misclicked and was doing the real one, good thing I didn't swear on camera or stand up to show my shorts or something.

On the plus side, I was very relaxed cos I thought I was doing a practice one. However I'm sure I barely answered 1-2 questions cos in my head I was like this question is dumb, so I'm gonna be that applicant with the 1st percentile SVI.

Ended up with a 17. To future applicants, remember to read before you click.

Reactions: 3 users
What should be put into the Medical School Honors/Awards section of ERAS? There seems to be multiple opinions on the matter. My school doesn't have any distinct honors/awards aside from AOA/GH and grades but I've seen people advocate against including clerkship honors given that they are present elsewhere in the application.

However, leaving the sectino blank returns a print-out that says "None" which doesn't look too great.

What should be put into the Medical School Honors/Awards section of ERAS? There seems to be multiple opinions on the matter. My school doesn't have any distinct honors/awards aside from AOA/GH and grades but I've seen people advocate against including clerkship honors given that they are present elsewhere in the application.

However, leaving the sectino blank returns a print-out that says "None" which doesn't look too great.

Personally, I think it's silly to list "honors" in the awards section. I've seen people do that. That's not an award. It's ok if you didn't get any awards in medical school, many students don't. But including things that aren't awards as awards to try to make it look like you did is just silly to me.

Since our transcripts are not requested to the NBME until after we submit and today is the last business day before the submission deadline, does it mean if we dont submit our application today, then programs wont have our transcripts until September 16 (Monday)?

I honestly don't know, but I highly doubt any PD/APD/Coordinator is logging on to ERAS on Sunday to start sending out invites, so its unlikely to matter anyways. I'd imagine Monday will be the earliest people start looking at apps, and that's pretty early to say the least, considering many wait until October to start invites.

Howdy folks, I've gotten myself in a MASSIVE, IDIOTIC pickle and was hoping some of you guys would help. I asked an EM Program Director for 1 General Letter (meant for my backup specialties) and 1 SLOE. The SLOE will be my 2nd and will be available next week. Unfortunately, my anxiety kicked in and I accidentally assigned the general letter which came today, to the 20 EM programs that I had already applied for. My question is do I :
1-Go through with 20 EM programs that currently have 1 IM, 1 EM, and 1 SLOE, and wait for the 2nd SLOE next week from the SAME WRITER as the EM letter. My concern is that programs will see that the same author wrote the general letter and the 2nd SLOE, and I'm afraid the program my randomly delete the 4th letter that would be the SLOE.
OR
2-Withdraw the 20 Applications, and submit an incomplete application of 1 IM and 1 SLOE, and assign the 2nd SLOE next week. I'll have to pay another $500, but I'm ok with that.

God I can't wait for this process to be over. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How many programs should I apply too? 230s USMLE <500/550 COMLEX. One initial SLOE (probably middle 1/3 idk) with 2 more coming mid cycle.

I think about 50-60 programs should be about the max anyone should apply to. If you apply to the 50 least competitive programs, and aren't getting interviews, why would you get interviews at more competitive places?

As a DO with a sub-500 comlex and one middle 1/3 SLOE, I'd apply to all regional programs, all former AOA programs, more rural programs, new programs, etc.

You can always add more programs, but adding more will only help if the places added are less competitive than the places you initially applied IMO.

I've heard mention in other threads about some programs requiring additional information outside of ERAS. Do EM programs do this? Is there an easy way to figure out which programs require additional info?

I've heard mention in other threads about some programs requiring additional information outside of ERAS. Do EM programs do this? Is there an easy way to figure out which programs require additional info?

Not saying this isnt a thing, I dont know what every single program does. But this is the first time Ive heard of something like this, so i doubt its very common at all.

Has anyone heard back from programs yet?
I heard back from Western Michigan today, but it was an expected invite because I am rotating there. From the spreadsheet it looks like Orlando also sent out invites today.

There were also some logged as invites received from: (NOT ME)

+Rowan
+Arizona south

Last edited:
HCA Orlando basically sent an invite to everyone at UCF med

Reactions: 2 users
no one should include offers from aways and or home programs, just increases anxiety. i got II from my home program monday, yet didnt include on the sheet because my home program interviews their own students on the first day of interview season.

Reactions: 7 users
MPSE's aren't out until October. Early invites are going to be from places you rotated at. Maybe a few regional ones. But don't expect to get many invites before October. Honestly, a large portion of invites won't be had until NOVEMBER. It's way too early to be counting invites.

Reactions: 5 users
I heard back from Western Michigan today, but it was an expected invite because I am rotating there. From the spreadsheet it looks like Orlando also sent out invites today.

+Rowan
+Arizona south

Did you rotate at AZ south too? Or ties?

Did you rotate at AZ south too? Or ties?

I didn't receive any invites to those programs, was just providing information on what was logged in the spreadsheet. I only received one and it was one that I knew was coming because I am rotating there so it's not even a true, random II. Most of the invites come out in October (basing this on the trends from prior years spreadsheets). I don't want to lock the page down because I have no way of knowing what date the actual "real invites" will start to release and I don't want to block people from listing information. Sorry everyone, not trying to cause anxiety, just bear with me please.

Last edited:
I didn't receive any invites to those programs, was just providing information on what was logged in the spreadsheet. I only received one and it was one that I knew was coming because I am rotating there so it's not even a true, random II. Most of the invites come out in October (basing this on the trends from prior years spreadsheets). I don't want to lock the page down because I have no way of knowing what date the actual "real invites" will start to release and I don't want to block people from listing information. Sorry everyone, not trying to cause anxiety, just bare with me please.
anxiety triggered. and then relieved.

So I was looking that some interviews are offered via interview broker. Would I be offered an interview through interview broker and not get any notification via ERAS or how does this work. Am I interpreting this right or are they just scheduled through interview broker?

IV is offered in an email (to whatever email you entered into ERAS) from the program with a link to interview broker to schedule. No hassle it's easy no set up required. They have the listed dates and you pick. That's why its advised to set up an email account and use it solely for ERAS so any time you get an email notification you know its an IV and you stop what you are doing. Highly recommend setting it as your only notification that rings, set it to push, and put your phone on ring.

Reactions: 3 users
On ERAS, I currently only have 1 SLOE (home) submitted and am waiting on 1 SLOE (away) and 1 EM faculty letter which should be uploaded over the weekend. I know that only ~6% of interviews are extended prior to October, but as a fairly competitive applicant (USMLE 1&2 > 75%ile for every program), would it be in my best interest to email program coordinators as soon as those letters are in? Most of the programs I applied to require >2 letters for consideration, but I'm not sure if they want to be bothered by this kind of thing prior to 10/1 when MSPEs are released.

Anyone else having issues with programs being late on their SLOE's? And Is there any reason other than lack of time management that they shouldn't be completed by now? Request was sent back in July, and I'm still here trying not to email too often and be that guy...I wish there was some kind of accountability system set up with ACGME for this, hell there are deadlines for everything else...

Anyone else having issues with programs being late on their SLOE's? And Is there any reason other than lack of time management that they shouldn't be completed by now? Request was sent back in July, and I'm still here trying not to email too often and be that guy...I wish there was some kind of accountability system set up with ACGME for this, hell there are deadlines for everything else...

Just my personal experience and the anecdotal evidence of my peers, but seems to me this is not uncommon. "Late" appears to be a relative term - while applications can be submitted on the 15th, SLOEs can and do trickle in all the way into October even when people rotated in June/July/August. A week or two (!!) after applications go out is not considered to be late or unusual by some people.

Personally, I think it's a bigger deal professionally when programs are not transparent with their timelines to release SLOEs, because it creates anxiety like the type you are experiencing and its absolutely grueling.

Yeah I think the transparency is the issue. I tell students when they rotate exactly when there SLOE will be done based on when our SLOE committee meets. It heads off all these questions.

True. So far all the timelines I’ve been told have been incorrect cuz I’m still waiting for it, but I guess there’s nothing to do but wait.

Sent out one SLOE from last year that I know was decent, and then a non-SLOE LOR from our school EM chair.

I do have another middle 1/3 SLOE from last year that I could send out that I was told probably won’t hurt or help my application. Should I just send that out now so that i’m at least considered for interviews? Or just hang tight and wait for the better/more recent SLOE?

During an audition rotation, when should you schedule your interview? I'm rotating in January and have the option to schedule my interview during the rotation. They have a date for each week I'm there and I'm trying to decide if I want to do it the 2nd week I'm there, the 3rd, or the 4th.

During an audition rotation, when should you schedule your interview? I'm rotating in January and have the option to schedule my interview during the rotation. They have a date for each week I'm there and I'm trying to decide if I want to do it the 2nd week I'm there, the 3rd, or the 4th.
4th week makes sense

FYI for those of you applying EM this year, there's a new website for tracking interview invites and sharing EM rotation info/experiences that's making the rounds on the med school reddit - EMRAT. Seems like a pretty handy tool in addition to the spreadsheet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Need an opinion. Have a sub-i at one of my top programs 11/18-12/15, the peak of interview season. Should I 1. go for it and schedule interviews around this, 2. try to get the program to reschedule me (have been in contact w' them several times to reschedule and at this point I may just be getting annoying), or 3. drop the sub-i?

Need an opinion. Have a sub-i at one of my top programs 11/18-12/15, the peak of interview season. Should I 1. go for it and schedule interviews around this, 2. try to get the program to reschedule me (have been in contact w' them several times to reschedule and at this point I may just be getting annoying), or 3. drop the sub-i?
Get them to work with you as the interviews come up
They know.
If it's a place you'd like to be, I probably would just straight up cancel on them.

If a SLOE goes up AFTER October 1 will programs see it?
Or will they have to re-download the whole application, and do they even do that after October 1?

I'm assuming most programs just download the applicant's file on October 1 and then that's that.
I'm worried because my letter won't be uploaded in time because the LOR author used the wrong name and it got rejected. I was relying on this and I'm terrified my application of 4 years in the making will tank because of something like this