This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BestoFriedo-Todo

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Source: Admissions Lifecycle - Admissions - AAMC

Wait list movement

March 15
"From March 16 to the first day of class, notify AMCAS within 2 business days of all admissions acceptance, withdrawal, or deferral actions, either written or verbal, that have been communicated to an applicant. All admission actions are listed and defined on the AAMC website. "

and

" By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS. "

April 30
" After April 30, implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs."

Members don't see this ad.

Source: Admissions Lifecycle - Admissions - AAMC

" By March 15 of the matriculation year, issue a number of acceptance offers at least equal to the expected number of students in its first-year entering class and report those acceptance actions to AMCAS. "

April 30
" After April 30, implement school-specific procedures for accepted applicants who, without adequate explanation, continue to hold one or more places at other schools or programs."
Thus, a school with 100 seats need only have made 100 offers by tomorrow, even if it takes more than twice that number to seat the class.

Reactions: 1 user
So a question - why would schools extend more offers than what's needed to fill the class? ie. As @gyngyn wrote, schools need to extend just n offers for n seat by mar 15. Why not just extend n offers, make a giant Waitlist, and slowly draw from them as needed?

Reason why I'm asking this is because I've heard some schools did have problem with over-enrollment and according to @Goro, getting numbers right is tricky. Wouldn't this way solve the schools' problems (aside from all the ****show and sufferings applicants will have to go through)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
So a question - why would schools extend more offers than what's needed to fill the class? ie. As @gyngyn wrote, schools need to extend just n offers for n seat by mar 15. Why not just extend n offers, make a giant Waitlist, and slowly draw from them as needed?

Reason why I'm asking this is because I've heard some schools did have problem with over-enrollment and according to @Goro, getting numbers right is tricky. Wouldn't this way solve the schools' problems (aside from all the ****show and sufferings applicants will have to go through)?

I think USF does this (or so it seems that way) as for the past few years on the school specific threads nobody has received anything but a WL after January or so

But this is just a guess so i have no idea!

Reactions: 1 users

Strategically, it makes more sense to calculate the number needed to fill (based on historical data) and just slightly under-fill, so that only a small amount of waitlist movement is needed.
Waitlist management is a nightmare. It can be reduced by strong data management.

Reactions: 4 users

For the same reasons that airlines overbook flights. Not everybody shows up. And while there are plenty of bodies to fill seats, there are only so many qualified bodies.

Does TX schools participating in TMDSAS extend more offers than class size on/by match day or just one to one match (meaning number of offers made = number of seats)

Does TX schools participating in TMDSAS extend more offers than class size on/by match day or just one to one match (meaning number of offers made = number of seats)

After Match Day in Texas, all Texas schools have extended exactly the number of acceptances needed to fill the class (not equal to number of seats because some prematchers did not choose schools where they prematched).

Match Day in Texas is predicated on the idea that all students who received a match will be attending that school (of course, that's untrue).

Most of the waitlist movement in Texas stems from Baylor COM. Baylor's class (215?) is filled with roughly 75% Texas residents. A vast majority of these students will have also received a TMDSAS acceptance, and will thus forfeit a TMDSAS seat should Baylor offer them an acceptance (that the student would accept). A handful of other spots open up for a wide variety of reasons: deferral, students suddenly deciding they want to pursue another profession, family or financial issues, etc.

Because all of the TMDSAS schools are linked, consider the following scenario: A student who matched to UT Southwestern receives an acceptance from Baylor COM. This student accepts the Baylor acceptance, thus forfeiting their UTSW seat. This seat, say, is offered to a person who matched to UT Houston McGovern, thus filling the UTSW seat and opening a McGovern seat. This repeats until someone who was 1) waitlisted and 2) did not hold an acceptance already fills a position.

Thank you for explanation. I understand how one having a prematch at oneo school can match to a different school where there is no prematch.
Tryning to understand what 'number of acceptances' ( just after match day) mean and how it is different from class size. Is this higher than the number of matriculants in that year ? If so, how close this number would be to total number of acceptances published once all said and done..

Lets say a school matriculates say 150 students and extends offers to 350 students in a year.

Does this mean
A) 150 were matched on match day. And additional 200 offers were extended after match day - wait list offers.
Or
B) Say may be 300 were matched on match day. And additional 50 were extended after match day - wait list offers.

I would think there will be a lot of waitlist movement in scenario A compared to B.

Thank you

Then I guess United would be Touro-NY? Haha
Touro-NY in the spirit of airlines would be Spirit Airlines: overpriced, overbundled, and unable to meet demand.

574777e2dd0895c4148b46f1-960-652.jpg

• Haha
Thank you for explanation. I understand how one having a prematch at oneo school can match to a different school where there is no prematch.
Tryning to understand what 'number of acceptances' ( just after match day) mean and how it is different from class size. Is this higher than the number of matriculants in that year ? If so, how close this number would be to total number of acceptances published once all said and done..

Lets say a school matriculates say 150 students and extends offers to 350 students in a year.

Does this mean
A) 150 were matched on match day. And additional 200 offers were extended after match day - wait list offers.
Or
B) Say may be 300 were matched on match day. And additional 50 were extended after match day - wait list offers.

I would think there will be a lot of waitlist movement in scenario A compared to B.

Thank you

Texas schools extend fewer offers/seat than would be expected (2.5 - 3.0 per seat) because of the Match Day process. It is likely closer to 1.5 or 2.0 per seat.

The scenario that actually occurs is most like what you describe in B. A school will extend a number of prematch offers (presumably, prematches < seats - however, some schools have overfilled using prematches before) and Match Day does the rest.

There are comparatively few waitlist offers after Match Day.