2018 ITE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Scaled score 45, 95th percentile. Obviously very happy with the result but wish it actually benefited me in some way in the future. PP jobs don't give a squat about ITE scores, correct?

Scaled score 45, 95th percentile. Obviously very happy with the result but wish it actually benefited me in some way in the future. PP jobs don't give a squat about ITE scores, correct?

Correct

Reactions: 1 user
CA-3 here. Scaled score was 65. 131% percentile. Great to see the studying paid off!

Reactions: 6 users
And congrats, looks like as usual everyone scored >90 percentile

That’s the SDN median. I don’t really judge people by their ITE scores but if it makes people feel better than have at it!

When you get to attending-hood, you’ll hear about the $700K jobs, 40 hours a week with 20 week vacations on here too. If only!

Going to a fellowship at a great location. At this major metropolitan university program, the chiefs are always the most docile and controllable residents of each year. Current chiefs each failed an ITE and did remediation which means attending lectures while those who passed covered their case load. None published, lot of politics and who you know. Where you match makes a huge difference in your education, case exposures, duty hours, research opportunities. Don't go to a program that is not well established or has a bad reputation. Even hearsay on interview trails is usually well founded, unless one is stupid enough to try to prove these assertions wrong.

Which program? This sounds too familiar

Hi everyone,
First post on SDN. PGY-4 (CA-3 equivalent) Anesthesia resident from Ontario, Canada, who wrote the ABA this year and got brutalized. You can all thank me for bumping up your percentiles!
I need some help understanding the results: I got a scaled score of 30 (please don't laugh). What exactly is a scaled score?

Apparently 2 CA3s and 1 CA1 scored a perfect 50 in our program. !! and though most of our CA2 class scored between 38-44 it seems like the percentile varies so widely . Why cant the ABA standardize the standardized test. or do i not understand the scaled score correctly.

WHAT IS IT EVEN SCALED TO!!

Is it just me or is it a bad test if the standard of deviation is 7? Is it normal for 14 questions to separate 50th and 97th percentiles?

Reactions: 1 users
Is it just me or is it a bad test if the standard of deviation is 7? Is it normal for 14 questions to separate 50th and 97th percentiles?

It's a meaningless test, who cares about the score?

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately fellowship programs put some weight into it.

Less than you might think compared to the Steps for residency, and it depends on the competitiveness of the field (cardiac/pain more than CCM/regional). A low score hurts a lot more than a high score helps. What you define as a “low score” depends on your frame of reference.

It's a meaningless test, who cares about the score?

It's my understanding it used to have some prognostic value in determining who pass the written boards. Hard to believe people are going to fail written boards getting 70 or 75% of the questions correct. This is especially true in light of some rather esoteric information. Guessing correctly on a few questions has a disproportionate impact

My understanding is that the basic exam itself is only a few years old

Is this test getting easier, more study-able or is everyone just getting smarter? These scores go up every single year

Is this test getting easier, more study-able or is everyone just getting smarter? These scores go up every single year
I'd say with all the resources available, the test is easier to study for--especially with TrueLearn having a qbank specific for the ITE. On top of that, CA-1s are probably studying more because of the Basic (not to mention the possible? implications for fellowship). It could explain the bell curve moving to the right and becoming more narrow.

Reactions: 1 users
Brought up with pretty much every interview at each fellowship program.

Sent from my SM-N950U using SDN mobile

You've been asked about your scores during interviews?

They definitely play a role in getting one for sure, but I went on several and I know we don't ask about them here... There are dozens of more important topics to discuss than multiple choice test performance.

But really, consider the conversation - "Wow Dr. Chz, your ITE score was so good you must be smart! What was it like to score in the 95th percentile all 6 years of residency?"
"Well, TrueLearn is THAT good sir."

You've been asked about your scores during interviews?

They definitely play a role in getting one for sure, but I went on several and I know we don't ask about them here... There are dozens of more important topics to discuss than multiple choice test performance.
Yes, nearly each interviewer on the trail brought it up, along with discussing research and involvement in associations.

Associations.. like ASA? That’s bizarre, but ok then............

Subspecialty associations like ASRA, NANS, AAPM. Membership, resident/ fellow participation in committees and courses, conference attendance, poster presentations at these conferences was a common topic during interviews.

I think ITE scores matter less if the fellowship program you are interested in has had some interaction with you clinically (home program or place where you rotated), or you have someone connected to the program that they trust vouching for you. Otherwise they have to use surrogate measures to differentiate people. LORs are next to meaningless because they are invariably positive, research is great, but not everyone is a researcher, and what fellowships want is a solid clinical fellow in most cases.

I think ITE scores matter less if the fellowship program you are interested in has had some interaction with you clinically (home program or place where you rotated), or you have someone connected to the program that they trust vouching for you. Otherwise they have to use surrogate measures to differentiate people. LORs are next to meaningless because they are invariably positive, research is great, but not everyone is a researcher, and what fellowships want is a solid clinical fellow in most cases.

Very true

LORs are next to meaningless because they are invariably positive, research is great, but not everyone is a researcher, and what fellowships want is a solid clinical fellow in most cases.

Disagree, by a lot. I review some of our fellowship applications - a big name in the field with a strong letter goes a very, very far way. Just like with residency it’s pretty easy to pick out the lukewarm form letters many of department chairmen and PDs write, compared to glowing recommendations with personal anecdotes. For research the proof is in the production, and honestly intensive research isn’t something typically seen or expected of anesthesia residents.

Especially in small, concentrated fields like Peds and Cardiac, letters and connections can make a huge difference. Some of the faculty here in fellowship even reach out to the letter writers for more information about an applicant.

LORs (and research in the area) take much more of a positive and impactful role compared to residency apps, and ITEs are much less emphasized compared to USMLEs.

Disagree, by a lot. I review some of our fellowship applications - a big name in the field with a strong letter goes a very, very far way. Just like with residency it’s pretty easy to pick out the lukewarm form letters many of department chairmen and PDs write, compared to glowing recommendations with personal anecdotes. For research the proof is in the production, and honestly intensive research isn’t something typically seen or expected of anesthesia residents.

Especially in small, concentrated fields like Peds and Cardiac, letters and connections can make a huge difference. Some of the faculty here in fellowship even reach out to the letter writers for more information about an applicant.

LORs (and research in the area) take much more of a positive and impactful role compared to residency apps, and ITEs are much less emphasized compared to USMLEs.

We don’t disagree- in my mind an excellent letter from a household name in a small field is akin to having a former grad call you up and say “you gotta take this kid”. It’s the LORs from rando attending x that’s always going to be positive because who is going to ask someone to write a letter if it isn’t essentially in the bag?

Does anyone know how to check previous ITE scores? I lost my papers with the results and i dont remember what i got
You may still be able to email the ABA and get a transcript. Years ago they would just email you a PDF of everything without verifying your identity or asking for a signed release form ...