2018-2019 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Thread (Fall 2019)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GraceL

Reaction score
Wondering when people are receiving their invites... Post your invitations here and I will update often. Add oil!

Below is the format for posting that has been used in the past:

School Name:
Date Interview Invite Received:
Degree
: PhD/PsyD
Type: Clinical/Counseling/School/Combined/Experimental (w/in Experimental please specify social, developmental, cognitive, neuroscience, etc.).
Track: e.g., adult, child, health, etc.
Notified via: Email, phone call, etc. Please indicate if mass or personal!
From: POI (Professor of Interest), DGS (Director of Graduate Studies), administrative assistant, etc.
Interview Date:
Additional Info:
e.g., social event the night before, expenses (partially) covered, etc

-------------------
TheGradCafe Admission Results - click here instead for the most up-to-date results
Psychology Grad School Decisions 2018-2019 google document of invites, acceptances, etc.!

Auburn University: PhD Clinical, Email, DCT, Interview: 2/8
Eastern Michigan University: PhD Clinical, Email, DCT, Interview: 2/1 or 2/4
Florida State University: PhD Clinical, Email, POI, Interview: 1/25-27 (social night before, night of)
George Mason University: PhD Clinical, Email, DCT, Interview: 1/25 or 1/26
Texas A&M University: PhD Counseling, Email, Doctoral Student Coordinator, Interview: 1/24-1/25
University of Georgia: PhD Clinical, Email, General with POI follow-up, Interview: 1/10-11
University of Kentucky: Received: 12/14/18, PhD Counselling, Email, DGS, Interview: 1/25/19
University of Southern Mississippi: PhD Clinical, Phone, POI, Interview: 2/13 and 2/14 (social night of 13)
Utah State University: Received: 12/17/18, PhD Combined Clinical/Counselling, Phone, POI, Interview: 1/25/19

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Program: Florida State University
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Personal Email
Interview Date: 1/25-27
Additional Info: Social event the night before and night of

Program
: University of Southern Mississippi
Notified via: Phone Call
Interview Date: 2/13 and 2/14
Additional Info: Social event the night of the 13th

Program
: University of Georgia
Notified via: General email with POI email follow-up
Interview Date: 1/10-11

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Program: Texas A&M University
Type: Counseling
Notified via: Personal email from Doctoral Student Coordinator
Interview Date: 1/24-1/25

Ohio State interview invites have gone out for the most part

Did anyone apply to these Ph.D. counseling psychology programs: Auburn Uni, Purdue Uni, Southern Illinois Uni, Western Michigan Uni, and/or Uni of Nebraska?

Did anyone hear back yet from any of these?
Hi! I saw a rejection from Nebraska posted here: Clinical Psychology • thegradcafe.com

It's a pretty good resource for checking to see if your schools have sent any invites.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Just because we've submitted our applications doesn't mean it's time to stop "applying ourselves". We're at the interview stage. This is not an advertisement, and it could be helpful for us: I updated my website's section on Do I Attend And In-Person? While attending an interview in-person is the typical way people think of an applicant's ultimate admissions acceptance, counseling psychology, the field I'm and some of you are interested in, strongly supports case-by-case decisions, as well. Good luck!

Is anyone still waiting to hear from schools? I haven't heard anything at all from Arizona State (Clinical) or St. Louis U.

Program: University of Colorado- Colorado Springs
Notified via: Phone call from PI
Interview Date: 2/1

Program
: University of Memphis
Notified via: E-mail from PI
Interview Date: 2/1

I can’t be at two places at once lol

I'm glad you've received invites!

Just to be helpful/supportive, some thoughts on how to choose which one you'd like to attend in person if you can are:
1) Which is your favorite?

2) Were the PIs who contacted you both PIs you expressed interest in working with? If so, did either the phone or email conversation stand out more? Even if they weren't PIs you expressed interest in working with but were other program faculty, how well did you get along with each? The more information you have to make an informed decision the better.

3) Is your likelihood higher of getting accepted to one or the other?

The program that you decide not to interview with in person you could ask for an alternative way of interviewing such as by phone or Skype.

Just to be helpful/supportive, some thoughts on how to choose which one you'd like to attend in person if you can are:
3) Is your likelihood higher of getting accepted to one or the other?

The program that you decide not to interview with in person you could ask for an alternative way of interviewing such as by phone or Skype.
Applicants will not have a good gauge of their chances for acceptance between two programs if they receive an interview for both. This is simply not something that is evident from anything applicants have access to consider (e.g., they will be unaware of the competition, of how certain things like GRE/research/etc. are weighted in comparison to the interview, how they will perform/act, what mentors are looking for, etc). Also, rather than going to a phone/skype it is reasonable to request an alternative day to visit.

As mentioned before, I would discourage you from offering advice and suggest it may be more useful to you and others if you read/listen instead.

Reactions: 3 users
Applicants will not have a good gauge of their chances for acceptance between two programs if they receive an interview for both. This is simply not something that is evident from anything applicants have access to consider (e.g., they will be unaware of the competition, of how certain things like GRE/research/etc. are weighted in comparison to the interview, how they will perform/act, what mentors are looking for, etc). Also, rather than going to a phone/skype it is reasonable to request an alternative day to visit.

As mentioned before, I would discourage you from offering advice and suggest it may be more useful to you and others if you read/listen instead.

Thanks for the information. I do read, and I do listen.

The blind leading the blind <<< :rolleyes:

I understand your concern. Like I wrote, I was just trying to be helpful.

I'm interested in counseling psychology including advocating for minorities, and the statement you made may be offensive to people who are blind.

School Name: Widener University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/04/2019
Degree: PsyD/MEd in Human Sexuality dual degree
Notified via: Email, personal
Interview Date: 1/30/2019

Has anyone heard from UHart, JFK, Clark, Pacific, Palo Alto, or Marshall yet?

If there are additional counseling psychology faculty (thank you, sincerely, @Justanothergrad so much for your helpful comments!) reviewing the discussion on here, would you please introduce yourself? I'm very interested in learning new ways of viewing things and hearing from you.

Last edited:
School Name: Indiana University of Pennsylvania
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/22/2018
Degree: PsyD
Notified via: General e-mail
Interview Date: 1/25 to 2/04

Is anyone still waiting to hear from schools? I haven't heard anything at all from Arizona State (Clinical) or St. Louis U.

I'm still waiting to hear back from 7 Ph.D. programs (none of which have sent out mass rejection emails according to GradCafe), including St. Louis U. I wouldn't sweat it just yet.

School Name: Boston College
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/16/19
Degree
: PhD
Type: Counseling
Notified via: Phone call and personal email (after I didn't answer the phone call)
Interview Date: 2/11/19

I'm still waiting to hear back from 7 Ph.D. programs (none of which have sent out mass rejection emails according to GradCafe), including St. Louis U. I wouldn't sweat it just yet.

Great! Thank you! I already HAD one interview on the 14th, so I was starting to worry. I have another interview on Feb. 8th in Oklahoma. Good look with St. Louis!!!

Hey! For those of you familiar, I'm looking for a comparison between the reputations of the Counseling Psych PhD programs at Purdue vs. Ball State Universities. I loved both of them for different reasons... is one generally held in higher esteem in terms of education/training/publications/other? I know there are many personal factors to consider in these decisions, but I'm pretty much in-the-dark about overall reputations and your opinions and knowledge are appreciated

Thanks!

Purdue has higher recent APA internship match rate and EPPP pass rate. Ball State has higher licensure percentage. I would definitely look at how much funding you'll get from each since it seems variable student to student every year. Also, your research interest and the prestige of your chosen faculty probably matters more.