2018-2019 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Message me, I'm the current Vice President of the military medicine group. I'll put you in contact with some Air Force HPSP that can help you out.
Omg that would be amazing !!! I have no clue how to start a message on this but if u could message me, I’d love to send u some contact info! Wow that would be amazing

Members don't see this ad.

Can any upper classmen tell me how difficult learning OMM is and how big they are on it at this school?

Can any upper classmen tell me how difficult learning OMM is and how big they are on it at this school?
It's really well taught and they more than prepare you for boards. I personally don't think it's hard, but I guess it depends on the person.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
It can be hard and there is a good bit of class time placed on it just due to COMLEX being heavy with it. But like kristy said, it's person dependent. Some people love it, others hate it.

It's really well taught and they more than prepare you for boards. I personally don't think it's hard, but I guess it depends on the person.
Shouldn't you be studying for WH 1? +pity+

Hey guys, I just got an email saying I was recommended for acceptance into the fall class which makes me semi-excited but they're saying they *might* have filled up their class for this year. I already called and put myself on the Priority waitlist and will be keeping in touch with LUCOM weekly because I really want to attend LUCOM in the fall. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys, I just got an email saying I was recommended for acceptance into the fall class which makes me semi-excited but they're saying they *might* have filled up their class for this year. I already called and put myself on the Priority waitlist and will be keeping in touch with LUCOM weekly because I really want to attend LUCOM in the fall. Just wanted to hear your thoughts.
They accepted me after a LOI and actually ironically ok someone who just got into their dream school and is withdrawing their seat (they deposited at lucom). I’d predict plenty of movement and showing a lot of interest is what did it for me! dr patten loves enthusiasm for the med school

I’d say u will likely get in especially if u show interest and wanna attend.. also I meant Ik someone who got into their dream school (not ok someone)
Lol

Just be patient, there has been a lot of movement in the past in May and June.

How long after the interview should I expect an answer. They said 30 days due to deposit deadlines for other people. Anyone know if at this point they just have a waitlist.

I found out within a week but 2 weeks max tbh. And then u have 1 month to make a deposit if accepted. I believe the class is currently full but tons of movement on the waitlist / they r still finalizing seats with waiting to see if ppl make a deposit who were offered admission

I’d say u will likely get in especially if u show interest and wanna attend.. also I meant Ik someone who got into their dream school (not ok someone)
Lol
thanks so much for your answer! That made me feel better. I will definitely be sending in a LOI and will keep in touch weekly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am planning on reacing out

When did you interview?

I am also gonna be devastated if they’ve already filled there class up and still invited me up for an interview. If the class is filled up why would they continue to interview people? And isn’t there usually a ton of switches and changes in April and May? Would love some clarification on this, especially since I’ve been told do schools traditionally go longer with their cycles

I am also gonna be devastated if they’ve already filled there class up and still invited me up for an interview. If the class is filled up why would they continue to interview people? And isn’t there usually a ton of switches and changes in April and May? Would love some clarification on this, especially since I’ve been told do schools traditionally go longer with their cycles

For my class i think a large majority of the wait list was eventually accepted into the class year they applied for. I'm pretty sure other schools interview after their class is "filled" because of movement on the wait list during spring and summer. @kristysmiles i think probably has a better perspective on this than i do.

QQs for current students: Do you all have a dress code requirement every day? And how is attendance during OMS-I and OMS-II? How often/long are you in lecture?

Last edited:
Reject after interview. Just saw the portal. I would have rather they not have interviewed me.

QQs for current students: Do you all have a dress code requirement every day? And how is attendance during OMS-I and OMS-II? How often/long are you in lecture?

Dress code - yes - Girls can pretty much wear anything professional. Guys wear a collared shirt with nice pants. essentially just don't wear jeans and a torn up old t-shirt and youre good. On lab days you can dress out in the afternoon and weekends you can walk around in your PJs if you desire.

Attendance is required for some events - quizzes, group quizzes, OMM lecture, PCM lecture, and some random lectures here and there. Some people really learn well in class, i do not, so i haven't been to class since last Tuesday when we had required lab. Everything is lecture captured and a fair number of people just stay home. I think i see someone atleast once every few weeks and go "who the hell are they" because they just don't come to school.

If you chose to go to lecture they run from 0800-1400 most days with an hour break for lunch. Some days run late, others finish early.

OMS-1s have a lot more required labs due to anatomy. So they have to be at school a good 4-6 hours more a week then we do (OMS-2s).

Reject after interview. Just saw the portal. I would have rather they not have interviewed me.
Try not to look at it that way. Ultimately u know before every single med interview, u have no way of knowing whether it will or won’t workout. Before all my travel interviews I was like ugh I’m spending all this money so it would suck to not get in. But then I thought well that’s life, u gotta risk it and accept whatever the outcome is, bc there’s also no other way to be accepted. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason so even though again u can’t realize that now, this door closing is just leading u to the right open door for you. Good luck on this journey!

Try not to look at it that way. Ultimately u know before every single med interview, u have no way of knowing whether it will or won’t workout. Before all my travel interviews I was like ugh I’m spending all this money so it would suck to not get in. But then I thought well that’s life, u gotta risk it and accept whatever the outcome is, bc there’s also no other way to be accepted. I truly believe that everything happens for a reason so even though again u can’t realize that now, this door closing is just leading u to the right open door for you. Good luck on this journey!
I guess im just thinking of how broke I am after this cycle, but what you say makes sense.

I guess im just thinking of how broke I am after this cycle, but what you say makes sense.
And don’t get me wrong that sucks. No other way to say it. But so many people have been in the same exact position and unfortunately that’s a risk U gotta take. I wish I didn’t apply to half the schools I applied to! I also traveled to another school and 500$ later (airfare and everything) and I didn’t get in. I know someone that lost thousands on 2 cycles and then got in. U just gotta accept this was a risk u had to take, hope u learned from all these opportunities even if they didn’t turn out the way u hoped, and move forward. That’s all u can do! And dr Patton even spoken about re applicants (ppl who re interviewed the next cycle) and then got in! Wish u the best :)

Classes will be filled by many schools at this point, however, there is usually a fair amount movement in May and June. Previously there has been a specific date in May where students can hold seats at multiple schools. They cannot after that date (it was around May 10th when I applied). Since many drop their excess seats at that point, schools pull from their waitlist or priority waitlist to fill those spots. As those who were previously waitlisted at a school they wanted to attend more get offered a seat, they drop their seat at the other school(s). So yes, you may be interviewing for a waitlist spot, but that doesn't mean you won't get in. I submitted my application in February, got interviewed in March, and put on a priority waitlist. I got accepted at the end of April or the first week of May. Many of my classmates were on the general waitlist and got accepted in May and June. It varies how many get pulled each year from the waitlist.

Also DEF contact Patton and ask why u weren’t accepted! At the interview he says he is happy to give feedback and that would certainly be extremely invaluable in the future!!!!

Also DEF contact Patton and ask why u weren’t accepted! At the interview he says he is happy to give feedback and that would certainly be extremely invaluable in the future!!!!

I still have a chance to be interviewed at two other schools. Just sent Dr. Patton an email.

Recently put my deposit in. Mad excited See some of you guys this July :)

Reactions: 2 users
How long does all the stuff take thats due on 5/1? I just put my deposit down and had been still considering another school. I will be back in 2 weeks and bang it all out. Is this a bad situation?

How long does all the stuff take thats due on 5/1? I just put my deposit down and had been still considering another school. I will be back in 2 weeks and bang it all out. Is this a bad situation?

When I did my paperwork, it took me two weeks, but it all depends on how long it takes you to get an appointment with your doctor to get the health forms you need. The drug test and background check took a week total to get an appt scheduled and then to school. Otherwise if you stay on top of everything you should be fine. Hope you’re enjoying Europe! What part are you visiting? I’ll be going to Eastern Europe in April.

I’m stressing about this but I should have plenty time when I return home. I’m currently in Germany, and I have been to London and Amsterdam thus far and tomorrow leave for Switzerland and then last stop Paris ! I’ll just get super on top of everything once I come back.

Any current students have any advice on stuff we should buy now? Stethoscope brand requirements? Study books? Supplies? Scrubs?

R there any places on campus u can access for 24/7 study?
OMS1 here. The medical library closes at 11:30pm and technically the whole building at midnight. Main doors open again at 5am. But if you’re inside before midnight you’re free to use all the other study rooms in the building and they won’t kick you out. Any other questions just ask or DM me, I’d be happy to help!

Any current students have any advice on stuff we should buy now? Stethoscope brand requirements? Study books? Supplies? Scrubs?
The facebook group told us to wait and buy everything at orientation, and to budget roughly $1,000 to whatever we'd need. They do have specific requirements for stethoscopes and a couple of other things, but no one could tell me exactly what they were. They did say there would be group discounts available, and that one of the student groups sells scrubs at low prices during this time.

Don't buy books. LUCOM provides most of them online for free.

I need help with housing. Lol help. I found a roommate and housing stuff is actually more complicated than I thought. We don’t want oasis bc u can’t move in until August 1. Other places r kind of far from campus. I looked on the suggestions but ugh it’s hard to figure out with out seeing the places

I need help with housing. Lol help. I found a roommate and housing stuff is actually more complicated than I thought. We don’t want oasis bc u can’t move in until August 1. Other places r kind of far from campus. I looked on the suggestions but ugh it’s hard to figure out with out seeing the places
Last year, my MVP OMS2 mentor gave me a really detailed (prices, bedrooms, w/d, etc) spreadsheet with 20+ living options within a convenient radius of school. Message me your email and I can send it to you :)

I’m confused about something- if let’s say 93% of class matched and then the rest scrambled and all found residency slots- does liberty then say they have 100% residency placement? I guess scrambling isn’t bad if u ultimately get a slot it’s probably just stressful

Can any current student comment on what students typically do to de stress and what weekend life is like?

Hi. I’m having insurance problems and may not get all my things done by May 1. Do you think if I ask, the school would extend my due dates??

Hi. I’m having insurance problems and may not get all my things done by May 1. Do you think if I ask, the school would extend my due dates??

If you let them know now, they will probably be very willing to work with you!

They've already granted me an extension to complete immunizations and titers. Just call them, they're very friendly and helpful.

I haven't received a phone call from Dr. Patton, but in myLU I can see "Acceptance 1/18". Also there are locks next to the deposits that are due. Has anyone else seen this?

Last edited:
I haven't received a phone call from Dr. Patton, but in myLU I can see "Acceptance 1/18". Also there are locks next to the deposits that are due. Has anyone else seen this?

Dude call them back ASAP! What this could mean is that you were accepted, but you accidentally didn’t receive a call or something. And your deposit was due a long time ago, Aka you might have forfeited ya seat.

Does anyone know if they will be posting a match list in the near future?

I was accepted here pending an open seat! I'm a little disappointed, because i really want to go this year! Hopefully we see some movement soon.

Does anyone know if they will be posting a match list in the near future?
During Dean's Hour this past friday they said it will be up on the website soon.

Orientation Week Schedule is up.

And the academic calendar for 2019-2020

Anyone doing the 1 year B.S biomedical sciences? Deciding weather to register after being accepted. Also looking for a roommate possibly