[2018-2019] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am applying next year. Will I be able to apply to EM without a single SLOE, being that I have 2 auditions scheduled in July & August to be from places rumored to send in SLOEs in the timeline which you describe? If that's the case I'll only have 1 non-EM letter of rec from a 3rd year rotation by the Sept application deadline.

If you rotate in July and August, you'll have two SLOEs. Even if a place writes group SLOEs, they'll get them done in a timely fashion before or shortly after ERAS opens up. EM interviews don't get decided on until early October. You'll be fine. For a frame of reference, I author all of our SLOEs but we have a SLOE committee to decide on all our rankings. We meet before early-Sept and I have all my SLOEs written before ERAS opens up. We meet again in October to decide on the next batch of candidates who were rotating a little later.

Members don't see this ad.

Third year here, I have an audition at Beaumont Hospital Trenton, MI for EM. I overheard from a current MS4 that the program director does not fill out SLOEs. Is there anyone that auditioned there or know people who did, who can attest that indeed they do write SLOEs? I like the program, but if this rumor is true, I'll have to find another site to audition. (sorry for the awkward question)

This always amazes me. It always seems to be some of the former AOA programs. Most of them write SLOEs. I just don't know why a place would refuse to. It completely puts the students that rotate there at a disadvantage.

Reactions: 1 users
I have a question about a SLOE written from non residency program ER faculty, according to CORDEM.org, a faculty member of an ER rotation may write a sloes, what are your thoughts on this? basically if your medical school is affiliated with a hospital that has ER medical students regularly rotating with them then you can get the head of that program to write a SLOE. will ER programs accept this as a sloe?

"Q. My Letter Author is not faculty for an Emergency Medicine residency program, is there an alternate version of the SLOE?
A. There are 2 alternate versions of the SLOE currently available. 1. For Authors who do not have an established emergency medicine residency program at their institution BUT regularly have medical students complete rotations and monitor and/or supervise multiple students OR 1. For Authors from a subspecialty rotation. More information on the different versions of the SLOE as well as eligibility information for authors can be found at
www.cordem.org/sloe
. If your author does not fit into any of the categories they will need to complete a regular letter of recommendation."

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a question about a SLOE written from non residency program ER faculty, according to CORDEM.org, a faculty member of an ER rotation may write a sloes, what are your thoughts on this? basically if your medical school is affiliated with a hospital that has ER medical students regularly rotating with them then you can get the head of that program to write a SLOE. will ER programs accept this as a sloe?

"Q. My Letter Author is not faculty for an Emergency Medicine residency program, is there an alternate version of the SLOE?
A. There are 2 alternate versions of the SLOE currently available. 1. For Authors who do not have an established emergency medicine residency program at their institution BUT regularly have medical students complete rotations and monitor and/or supervise multiple students OR 1. For Authors from a subspecialty rotation. More information on the different versions of the SLOE as well as eligibility information for authors can be found at
www.cordem.org/sloe

. If your author does not fit into any of the categories they will need to complete a regular letter of recommendation."

My understanding is that a letter like this, while technically a form of a SLOE, will not be looked at as strongly as a traditional SLOE and you should use it as a 3rd/additional SLOE, not one of your required two.

Reactions: 1 user

www.cordem.org/sloe

What EmergDO said above. It's a middle ground LOR. Better than a traditional written LOR, but not considered to have the same weight as a group SLOE from a residency program. In the tier of LOR strength, it goes like this:

1. Group SLOE from a Residency
2. Individual SLOE from a residency
3. Subspecialty and non-residency SLOEs
4. Traditional Letters

Reactions: 1 users
What EmergDO said above. It's a middle ground LOR. Better than a traditional written LOR, but not considered to have the same weight as a group SLOE from a residency program. In the tier of LOR strength, it goes like this:

1. Group SLOE from a Residency
2. Individual SLOE from a residency
3. Subspecialty and non-residency SLOEs
4. Traditional Letters

thanks for the info!