2018-2019 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! I'm a school psychology PhD student with experience in large urban district and in a hospital affiliated therapeutic day school. Does anyone know someone who has interviewed or matched at the attached sites?

I have some info on several of these sites. You are welcome to PM me with questions.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a tentative site list of 20 programs (5 of which are in NYC) and have drafted 2 of my essays! I'm planning on whittling my list down in the next few weeks-months. Q: How do people without partner/parental financial support live on internship stipends of ~20k/year in NYC? Is it foolish to use this as a way to cut down my list, particularly if they're otherwise a good match?

Back to dissertation writing... !

I have a tentative site list of 20 programs (5 of which are in NYC) and have drafted 2 of my essays! I'm planning on whittling my list down in the next few weeks-months. Q: How do people without partner/parental financial support live on internship stipends of ~20k/year in NYC? Is it foolish to use this as a way to cut down my list, particularly if they're otherwise a good match?

Back to dissertation writing... !

My understanding is that people take out loans for the year, because the stipends are NOT generous for the cost of living.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My understanding is that people take out loans for the year, because the stipends are NOT generous for the cost of living.

I won't be eligible for student loans because my university will not be covering my tuition while I'm away on internship (I plan on defending my dissertation before I start). Despite attending a "fully funded" reputable PhD program, I still have a significant amount of student loan debt from both undergrad and grad school. I am not planning on taking out a personal loan for internship year. In light of this, it seems like cutting a few of the NYC programs may be a good idea, despite fit?

I am on internship now and, while I'm not living in the lap of luxury, the stipend is sufficient to provide for my basic needs. Although I'm not in the city. I imagine this depends greatly on where you end up.

What are everyone's thoughts on internships which offer several tracks that meet one's training goals? For example, if I find 3 tracks that meet my training goals, should I apply to all 3? I only ask because it seems like it would be one extremely stressful interview day.

What are everyone's thoughts on internships which offer several tracks that meet one's training goals? For example, if I find 3 tracks that meet my training goals, should I apply to all 3? I only ask because it seems like it would be one extremely stressful interview day.
I only applied to multiple tracks if the brochure stated that it was acceptable. I had interviews at two sites for multiple tracks. It made for a tricky interview(s) to be sure. In your cover letter and interview, you'd need to justify why you are good fit for either and how each meets your goals. One interviewer did, however, ask me to choose which track was preferable- that was tough to answer.

I just a received a wonderful email from my supervisor who offered on behalf of a well-known (very well know to some internship sites) psychiatrist offering to write a recommendation. Any thoughts on the perception is of a psychiatrist writing a recommendation vs a licensed psychologist? Should I ask if they can collectively write one essay? I'm a flattered as he has direct contacts with one internship site and the practicum is EXTREMELY supportive of me getting accepted to my top choice. Any thoughts, recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I just a received a wonderful email from my supervisor who offered on behalf of a well-known (very well know to some internship sites) psychiatrist offering to write a recommendation. Any thoughts on the perception is of a psychiatrist writing a recommendation vs a licensed psychologist? Should I ask if they can collectively write one essay? I'm a flattered as he has direct contacts with one internship site and the practicum is EXTREMELY supportive of me getting accepted to my top choice. Any thoughts, recommendations?

It's hard to tell from your question if the psychiatrist supervised you closely. In my opinion, a strongly written, glowing letter from a licensed psychologist who supervised you closely and can comment on specific skills would probably carry more weight than a vague, if also glowing, letter from a psychiatrist. Plus you unfortunately can't predict who will be reading your letter, and it ends up getting sent to a training committee member who has a grudge against psychiatry/this psychiatrist/name-dropping, you're in trouble. No expert in their field is universally loved, and this one carries the added risk of not being in your discipline. Perhaps your supervisor could comment in his/her letter on the psychiatrist's offer, as evidence of your interdisciplinary skills?

It's interesting....seeing the app thread used to be anxiety producing bc it reminded me of the match process. Now it is anxiety producing bc I look at the year and go, "No freaking way! The class of 20xx?!"

It's hard to tell from your question if the psychiatrist supervised you closely. In my opinion, a strongly written, glowing letter from a licensed psychologist who supervised you closely and can comment on specific skills would probably carry more weight than a vague, if also glowing, letter from a psychiatrist. Plus you unfortunately can't predict who will be reading your letter, and it ends up getting sent to a training committee member who has a grudge against psychiatry/this psychiatrist/name-dropping, you're in trouble. No expert in their field is universally loved, and this one carries the added risk of not being in your discipline. Perhaps your supervisor could comment in his/her letter on the psychiatrist's offer, as evidence of your interdisciplinary skills?

Yes, he did supervise me closely. I think it may be beneficial to have my direct supervisor comment in the letter. I don't think it's a matter of name dropping as they work closely with the internship site and they all know each other. I am going to limit the psychiatrist recommendation to a few sites since I'm unsure about having him as a main recommender.

This thread has been quiet..... too quiet...... How is everyone doing and whereabouts are you in the process?

I just about finished my first draft of all my essays! Woohoo! Pro tip: make sure to back up your files -- my computer crashed and I almost lost all of my work (including dissertation and research stuff). :scared:

Now that I have a first draft finished I'm trying to figure out the best way to start the editing and re-writing process. How many people did you guys ask to read your drafts? Is there anyone in particular you guys would recommend I ask for feedback?

Now that I have a first draft finished I'm trying to figure out the best way to start the editing and re-writing process. How many people did you guys ask to read your drafts? Is there anyone in particular you guys would recommend I ask for feedback?
I asked my advisor , who is also my clinical supervisor and DCT) to look at my essays, as well as the practicum coordinator at my program, who just recently graduated with her PhD, and thus is up to date on what internship sites are looking for. Right now, a friend of mine who recently graduated is looking at it, and then I will turn it to another friend who is an excellent writer for some final tweaking. Can't express how happy I am to be done with those essays...500 words is not a lot to answer these questions.:meh:
I just tweaked my first coverletter after two rounds of feedback, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier from here on out. I'm getting impatient about APPIC opening up their portal to register,though.:nailbiting:

I just about finished my first draft of all my essays! Woohoo! Pro tip: make sure to back up your files -- my computer crashed and I almost lost all of my work (including dissertation and research stuff). :scared:

After losing all of my data once early in college, and another scare a few years back, I am pretty much not saving anything on my computer anymore. Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive all the way! It also makes it much easier to work on the same files on different computers. Though, I might eventually have to pay for using them just due to the sheer amount of files/file size, but at least I don't have to worry about my computer's harddrivc capacity.

Members don't see this ad :)
This thread has been quiet..... too quiet...... How is everyone doing and whereabouts are you in the process?

Oh gosh, I recently dropped a large sparkling water on my laptop and everything is gone! So I feel for you. I'm lucky I was thinking ahead and backed it up. Plus, out of fear from something happening I have been using google drive to edit my essays so I can access it anywhere.

I have finished all my essays and the template for the cover letters. I edited it closely with a supervisor and used our weekly supervision to review all the essays. I'm asking 3 people to review essays and cover letters. One for content (done!), one for grammar and one to review the package deal to see what they think. For feedback, I'm asking anyone who offers to help! I always ask in what way can they offer feedback once the offer. Many supervisors will tell you in what way they can help. I had a previous supervisor said he was too busy but was able to offer his copy of essays. This was super helpful given he was 2 years out from graduation.

I asked my advisor , who is also my clinical supervisor and DCT) to look at my essays, as well as the practicum coordinator at my program, who just recently graduated with her PhD, and thus is up to date on what internship sites are looking for. Right now, a friend of mine who recently graduated is looking at it, and then I will turn it to another friend who is an excellent writer for some final tweaking. Can't express how happy I am to be done with those essays...500 words is not a lot to answer these questions.:meh:
I just tweaked my first coverletter after two rounds of feedback, so hopefully it'll be a bit easier from here on out. I'm getting impatient about APPIC opening up their portal to register,though.:nailbiting:

After losing all of my data once early in college, and another scare a few years back, I am pretty much not saving anything on my computer anymore. Google Drive, Dropbox, and OneDrive all the way! It also makes it much easier to work on the same files on different computers. Though, I might eventually have to pay for using them just due to the sheer amount of files/file size, but at least I don't have to worry about my computer's harddrivc capacity.

I thought the portal was supposed to open in July? What's taking so long???? Eeek

...500 words is not a lot to answer these questions.:meh:

One suggestion that helped me was to think of the four essays more like one 2000-word narrative rather than 4 500-word answers. Use the different prompts to show many strengths, and be careful not to repeat things.

I thought the portal was supposed to open in July? What's taking so long???? Eeek

Nope, not until mid- August: Applicant Registration

If you are seeking a psychology internship position that begins in 2018, it is expected that information on registering for the APPIC Internship Matching Program for positions beginning in 2018 will be available on this web site by mid-August, 2017.

I started dishing out the yearly fee for dropbox when I ran out of space 3rd year in my program, and still have no regrets. It's so fantastic. If you have important documetns on shared files I would also back them up on a private file or on a computer... last year, a folder I shared with my dad on dropbox was held hostage. Like all the documents were taken and I got a message about sending bitcoin to who knows where. Fortunately, I had my dropbox synced to a laptop that I had not used for quite some time, so I turned off my internet, booted up teh computer, and disconnected it from automatically refreshing dropbox files, so all was saved. Scared the crap out of me though.

That is a very good question, ours needs updating.
There's not a specific date, but we did receive the first "You need to update your site" email on the 10th of July. I'm just now getting to updating my directory entry today. I imagine many sites will be updating theirs in the next couple of weeks as one cohort transitions out and another transitions in.

There's not a specific date, but we did receive the first "You need to update your site" email on the 10th of July. I'm just now getting to updating my directory entry today. I imagine many sites will be updating theirs in the next couple of weeks as one cohort transitions out and another transitions in.

That's good to know! Thanks

Got a Match News email this morning. The AAPI Online application is now open! :nailbiting:

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Got a Match News email this morning. The AAPI Online application is now open! :nailbiting:

May the odds be ever in your favor!

Once I opened that email I realized that I'm not ready for this!!! It's like you're at the top of the roller coaster and realizing "what did I get myself in to?"

I should have stayed in surgery... Administering anesthesia was less stressful than this process.

Hi All - I'm starting the process, too. We will get through it!

I'm getting married in August and I've heard the APPI opens mid-July. Any suggestions on how I should register? Should I use my current last name or the last name I anticipate having?

I changed my name during the internship application process. I used my previous name on all application materials so that the name on the applications would match the name on my transcripts. The site had no problem updating my info with HR prior to my start date. The next year, when I applied for postdoc, my masters and doctoral transcripts had different names on them (I had updated my name at my doctoral institution prior to graduating so that the change would be reflected on my diploma). It was a major hassle. APPA CAS just could NOT get it figured out, even though I called them multiple times and filed all the proper paperwork. I wound up having to resend transcripts multiple times and emailing training directors to let them know why my application was still showing as incomplete. Having everything under one name was MUCH easier and I highly recommend it.

Question for those of you who work on internship committees. Cover letter length preferences? I'm leaning toward just at or over a page, but I've seen almost two pages in length. 0.0

Question for those of you who work on internship committees. Cover letter length preferences? I'm leaning toward just at or over a page, but I've seen almost two pages in length. 0.0

Mine are two pages and is based on what I was suggested in supervision while at a medical setting practicum. I've also seen recent examples that were 2 pages long. Just my perspective but interested in what folks say who review apps

1 page, these are just briefly skimmed anyway.

In another thread, someone mentioned that people care way to much about the four internship essays, and that those are skimmed anyways.

My question then is: what part of my application materials actually do get looked at? What is important? Is it hours? Diversity of clinical experiences?

Last edited:
In another threat, someone mentioned that people care way to much about the four internship essays, and that those are skimmed anyways.

My question then is: what part of my application materials actually do get looked at? What is important? Is it hours? Diversity of clinical experiences?

It'll vary site by site, and my advice is probably especially relevant to neuro specific positions, so take it with a grain of salt. The CV and letters of rec are the most important IMO. The quality of your hours, who you've worked with/trained under. If you're neuro and want a good postdoc, you better have some quality research exp. For me, the letters are pretty much just to weed out obvious personality issues, they don't really do anything for me one way or another outside of that.

There are people, who go nuts over what they think is an "awesome" essay, sure. But those also seem to be the people who pick up on irrelevant things during interviews (e.g., the shoes an interviewee was wearing, or choice of blouse, etc). Those people are stupid. I care about the objective info and what I can verify.

From the places I've been, anywhere from 1-2 pages was fine. Try not to go over two pages. It also depends on what you have to say... if the letter is two pages of filler and redundancy, then it will look bad. But if it is describing relevant experiences, research interests, how the available rotations or didactics fit with your professional goals, etc... then it's fine. Be concise and showcase your ability to write as a professional.

I wouldn't say that the cover letters make or break an application, but I think they are more than just skimmed. More important than the essays, but won't make up for a bad CV or poor LOR.

Yes, 1-2 is fine for cover letters. Don't exceed 2.

Re essays, impossible to say who will read what. I went through several interviews convinced that no one read them... or my CV for that matter. Then I got to two top (neuro) sites, and my autobiographical essay was the conversation piece. Made for some memorable discussions. Write something you're proud of and can talk about, but don't spend months. I am glad I didn't start them in May like some colleagues (jeez).

It'll vary site by site, and my advice is probably especially relevant to neuro specific positions, so take it with a grain of salt. The CV and letters of rec are the most important IMO. The quality of your hours, who you've worked with/trained under. If you're neuro and want a good postdoc, you better have some quality research exp. For me, the letters are pretty much just to weed out obvious personality issues, they don't really do anything for me one way or another outside of that.

There are people, who go nuts over what they think is an "awesome" essay, sure. But those also seem to be the people who pick up on irrelevant things during interviews (e.g., the shoes an interviewee was wearing, or choice of blouse, etc). Those people are stupid. I care about the objective info and what I can verify.

I agree with much of this, even though my site is a UCC not neuro. I prefer 1 page cover letters - definitely no more than two pages, and we also focus on your diversity essay (in part because we're a very very diverse site for population seen).

From the places I've been, anywhere from 1-2 pages was fine. Try not to go over two pages. It also depends on what you have to say... if the letter is two pages of filler and redundancy, then it will look bad. But if it is describing relevant experiences, research interests, how the available rotations or didactics fit with your professional goals, etc... then it's fine. Be concise and showcase your ability to write as a professional.

I wouldn't say that the cover letters make or break an application, but I think they are more than just skimmed. More important than the essays, but won't make up for a bad CV or poor LOR.

Internship supervisor and selection committee member here.

My process is: 1) look at cover letter. Can you clearly show insight into why our program fits with your career goals and builds upon/complements your previous experience? Are there any huge red flags like spelling errors, you clearly left things in specific to other sites accidentally, are you interested in all that we have to offer or only small bits? 2) personal essay--- is it boring? Does it tell an interesting and compelling story about you that makes me want to meet you?
3) diversity essay: can you demonstrate experience with diverse populations? Do you show enthusiasm about working with patients you may see in my clinic? Any personal diversity characteristics
4) theoretical orientation/others: honestly, I'm just looking to see if your orientation and method complement my own and that of our program. Does your research have Anything to do with what we have to offer? Can you articulate an interest in research that we could help with?

Edit: also make sure your CV clearly states the training you had for each pratica. Sometimes that's the only real information we get about what you've done. Be clear, concise, and sell yourself!!! A lot of my decision making happens as a result of the cv and cover letter. Most of the other things are a check box in my mind.

Last edited:
Internship supervisor and selection committee member here.

My process is: 1) look at cover letter. Can you clearly show insight into why our program fits with your career goals and builds upon/complements your previous experience? Are there any huge red flags like spelling errors, you clearly left things in specific to other sites accidentally, are you interested in all that we have to offer or only small bits? 2) personal essay--- is it boring? Does it tell an interesting and compelling story about you that makes me want to meet you?
3) diversity essay: can you demonstrate experience with diverse populations? Do you show enthusiasm about working with patients you may see in my clinic? Any personal diversity characteristics
4) theoretical orientation/others: honestly, I'm just looking to see if your orientation and method complement my own and that of our program. Does your research have Anything to do with what we have to offer? Can you articulate an interest in research that we could help with?
Ps I don't care how long your essay is. If it meets my criteria and is well written, a 1 page or a 3 page essay is fine. I will say that I read a lot of essays though, so shorter is probably better than longer -- especially bc I'm reading a lot of them on my own time outside of work.

Hey folks! Soo my advisor wants me to write a rough draft of my recommendation. What should I emphasize? Dissertation, poster presentations, or just emphasize my ties to the community? Any tips or thoughts?

Hey folks! Soo my advisor wants me to write a rough draft of my recommendation. What should I emphasize? Dissertation, poster presentations, or just emphasize my ties to the community? Any tips or thoughts?

Depends on the type of sites where you are applying. If you're applying for neuro sites emphasis should be on neuro experience. If you're applying for CMH emphasis should be on how you qualify for that.

Keep in mind though there is a reference letter format that is used that breaks things down by category. Make sure you use that for your draft.

Assuming your other letters will cover clinical activities, you might want your advisor's to focus on research and scholarly pursuits- depends on the combination of folks you have. A clear delineation of your academic strengths, how they tie into your clinical work, and your technical and scientific thinking skills would be beneficial. If you have made substantial progress on your dissertation, it absolutely helps to have that come straight from your advisor.

Is it common for letters of references to be written jointly by more than one supervisor? I worked very closely at a therapy site with two supervisors who can speak to different skills. Is it strange to ask them to write the letter together, or is this common practice? Or would it be better to have them write separate letters and submit 4 letters instead of the requested 3 stated on the brochures?

Is it common for letters of references to be written jointly by more than one supervisor? I worked very closely at a therapy site with two supervisors who can speak to different skills. Is it strange to ask them to write the letter together, or is this common practice? Or would it be better to have them write separate letters and submit 4 letters instead of the requested 3 stated on the brochures?

I had a similar situation. I had the one supervisor who is a bit more well-known write the letter and included a statement on behalf of the other supervisor. Some sites allow 4 letters, but some specifically state no more than 3, so better to integrate.

How's everyone doing in their process? I had a few internship sites in Houston (in the medical center), do you think it's worth removing the sites or see if the withdraw? Hurricane Harvey has been so devastating...

How's everyone doing in their process? I had a few internship sites in Houston (in the medical center), do you think it's worth removing the sites or see if the withdraw? Hurricane Harvey has been so devastating...

I'd keep them, I have some colleagues there that are still planning on going forward with all of their internship and postdoc positions. Training-wise, it's a great place to be.

Thanks for the feedback! I will consider keeping them as they are a great fit.

No problem. No real danger of keeping them in. By the time ranking decisions roll around, it will be very clear whether or not they are still a viable site, or are offering the position next year. Worst case scenario is that you are out a couple application fees.

As I am revamping my theoretical orientation essay, I received feedback that makes me rethink some things about working in AMC or general medical settings. Do people emphasize their theoretical orientation in medical settings (health psych) as much as at a UCC? I did my practica at a UCC, burn hospital, and private practice. Currently while here at the UCC as a paid counselor I feel they emphasize it so much here. Is that an accurate perception? I am attempting to restructure my essay so it has a more direct and better fit with medical settings. Yet, getting feedback from someone in private practice (not by my choosing). Any suggests are appreciated!

Hey everyone! How's it going? This thread has been so quiet.. I have *working* drafts of all of my essays but haven't started the actual application or my cover letters yet. I also have been pretty bad about tracking my hours so that's next up on my to do list (I knew I would regret this one day!). I was wondering what information people typically provide to their LOR writers, beyond their CV and tentative site lists?

Hope everyone is hanging in there--this is certainly a stressful semester!

Hey everyone! How's it going? This thread has been so quiet.. I have *working* drafts of all of my essays but haven't started the actual application or my cover letters yet. I also have been pretty bad about tracking my hours so that's next up on my to do list (I knew I would regret this one day!). I was wondering what information people typically provide to their LOR writers, beyond their CV and tentative site lists?

Hope everyone is hanging in there--this is certainly a stressful semester!
yeah, it took me like 2 days to catch up on tracking hours. Not fun. Regarding LORs, for my top 3 sites I also provided information about why I was especially interested in each site specifically and why I thought I would be a good fit. Some of my writers offered to personalize 3 letters and then send a standard one for the rest. Also, if there are any bullet points you would really like for them to consider including, because they might forget a thing or two since they're probably writing several letters in a relatively short time frame. On my site list I also included the names of training directors, rotations and supervisors I was particularly interested in, etc. because you never know if someone might know someone who has since moved to that program, ya know? That led to a couple of conversations that were helpful like "oh yeah, I know so-and-so from postdoc/wherever. here's what I liked / didn't like about working with them at that time...."

Obviously you also want to provide them with AMPLE TIME.

Good luck everyone!

I finished all of my essays - finally after having 4 people look over them , often with contradicting feedback :arghh:. I also finished drafts of all of my coverletters after dedicating about 12 hours every day for an entire week to them :soexcited:. Luckily, after a while it got a lot less painful because most of my sites are similar, so towards the end it was a lot of copying and pasting with only minor tweaking. As I was writing them, though, it definitely became clear which sites I'm really excited about, and which ones I feel so-so about. Writing the latter ones certainly was pretty excruciating at times.

Now waiting on feedback - luckily my program is super supportive, and provides us with a lot of feedback. Back to dissertation stuff....:uhno:

How is everyone doing? I unfortunately have hit a hard time as I failed my assessment competency, which is a requirement for applying to internship. I am resubmitting but now having to put all my cover letters editing on hold, dissertation on hold and life on hold. I am feeling overwhelmed and frustrated by the lack of support I am receiving by my horrible program. They seem to have their own agenda and are very critical of the sites I am choosing...anyone else in the same boat with their program? Unfortunately, since our program is closing and faculty are pretty harsh (the ones that are left), I am getting pretty anxious about this internship application process. Time is ticking and I am consumed with the demands of this assessment comp. So frustrating.

How is everyone doing? I unfortunately have hit a hard time as I failed my assessment competency, which is a requirement for applying to internship. I am resubmitting but now having to put all my cover letters editing on hold, dissertation on hold and life on hold. I am feeling overwhelmed and frustrated by the lack of support I am receiving by my horrible program. They seem to have their own agenda and are very critical of the sites I am choosing...anyone else in the same boat with their program? Unfortunately, since our program is closing and faculty are pretty harsh (the ones that are left), I am getting pretty anxious about this internship application process. Time is ticking and I am consumed with the demands of this assessment comp. So frustrating.
Your program is closing? Gah, I bet tensions really are running high. I don't have any words of advice for you, just feel really really bad for you. I'm so sorry!! ::hug::