2018-19 Pain Fellowship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got 75.6% based on

Fellowship Match Data and Reports - The Match, National Resident Matching Program
https://mk0nrmpcikgb8jxyd19h.kinstacdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Results-and-Data-SMS-2018.pdf

Looks like these programs didn't fill through the match
Northwestern McGaw/NMH/VA-IL
University of Toledo-OH
Cincinnati Childrens Hosp MC-OH

Used last year's data. Dang.

Looks like these programs didn't fill through the match
U South Cali - LA 1 open spot
U MICHIGAN HOSPS-ANN ARBOR - 2/3 PM&R spots open
PENN STATE HERSHEY MED CTR-PA - 1 PM&R spot open
TEXAS TECH U AFFIL-LUBBOCK - 3/3 spots open
VIRGINIA COMMONWEALTH U HLTH SYS - 3/4 spots open
U WASHINGTON - 1 pediatric pain spot open
U WISC - 1 Anesthesia Pain Spot open
JACKSON MEMORIAL HOSP-FL - 2/2 spots open

Outside of the pediatric pain spot, I assume the other spots were gamed outside of the match system, but I'm not sure. I would assume the NRMP/ACGME and other boards would look closely at those programs to make sure they aren't abusing the system to lock residents/fellows into non-NRMP/ACGME backed things to keep them for longer periods or working outside the protections of the system
------------

When people say "these programs went unfilled" - do they mean these places likely filled prematch or did they have to SOAP/Scramble after the match?

Members don't see this ad.

------------

When people say "these programs went unfilled" - do they mean these places likely filled prematch or did they have to SOAP/Scramble after the match?

I'm a third-year pm&r resident and I know that one of those spots was filled by one of our fourth years in the scramble.

Hi all,

I am making my Rank Order List for Anesthesia residency programs. If I want to better my chances for a Pain fellowship in the future, what criteria should I keep in mind while ranking anesthesia programs? I already know I should rank programs with in-house Pain fellowship higher, especially the ones with a high number of fellowship positions. What about some other factors?

Is reputation of program important or is having free time on the side to do research more important? Because some programs may have good reputation, but may be workhorse programs and not give enough time to the residents to do research. Some brand new programs that just opened up 2 years ago may look promising because of its excellent program leadership who is committed towards residents, but may not have the reputation/name behind it. What is more important?

Hi all,

I am making my Rank Order List for Anesthesia residency programs. If I want to better my chances for a Pain fellowship in the future, what criteria should I keep in mind while ranking anesthesia programs? I already know I should rank programs with in-house Pain fellowship higher, especially the ones with a high number of fellowship positions. What about some other factors?

Is reputation of program important or is having free time on the side to do research more important? Because some programs may have good reputation, but may be workhorse programs and not give enough time to the residents to do research. Some brand new programs that just opened up 2 years ago may look promising because of its excellent program leadership who is committed towards residents, but may not have the reputation/name behind it. What is more important?

I think a strong pain chair recommendation is your ultimate tool for matching into PM. Typically that requires a brand name program. Besides that, may sound obvious, but try to be great anesthesia resident. Be known as that guy/gal who shows up to work, always prepared and doesn’t complain. It will show in your Evals and recs. In the end, most PDs want a person who is affable and will do the above. Try to be a good anesthesiologist above all.