1. It’s Test Prep Week! Visit the Test Prep Forums to learn about test prep products and services, ask questions in test-related AMA threads, take advantage of exclusive SDN member discounts, and enter to win free stuff!
Whether you’re preparing for the USMLE, COMLEX, NBDE or APMLE, Test Prep Week Exhibitors can help you ace your boards!

2017 Updated List on Best TY/Prelim Programs

Discussion in 'Internship' started by HG1HH217, Mar 23, 2017.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. HG1HH217

HG1HH217 5+ Year Member

May 6, 2011
    I'll be applying this year and haven't been able to find a good list of candidate programs for the TY/prelim programs. Obviously "best" is entirely subjective and depends upon what you want to get out of the program, but I'd be interested in any definition (eg. most cush, best learning, etc) and the recommendations that follow. In particular, I've heard that TY programs have changed a lot over the last couple years and seem to be a dying breed -- which ones are still known to be particularly easy?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. Misterioso.

Misterioso. Banned Banned

Mar 31, 2017
    Generally speaking, the cush programs are the easy ones without as much experience, which translates to less learning. If you want to skate through, pick a cush program. If you want to get good at diagnosing and managing problems, pick somewhere non-cush that will help you develop your skills.

4. byaaaaaaah23

byaaaaaaah23 SDN Gold Donor Gold Donor 5+ Year Member

Jul 31, 2011
    Cush:
    Scripps SD TY
    Several midwestern TYs (?Gunderson, Chicago, Aurora in Denver)
    Cottage Santa Barbara prelim IM

Prestige/Academic:
    MGH
    BWH
    Yale NH

My advice for choosing prelims/TYs to apply to would be to find a good mix of programs that are rigorous and cush near where you live (as you want to be able to make sure you can interview easily at these places without extensive travel, also throw in some non-competitive ones near where you live too to make sure you can list at least a few on your ROL and avoid SOAP), and then a few others that sound interesting to you or are in neat places you might want to live. I ended up only interviewing at prelims I could drive to, as interviewing for prelim + advanced specialties really gets draining after about the 10th interview knowing you're only half way through..

5. Bronze Medal

Bronze Medal 2+ Year Member

Apr 30, 2015
    Cush TYs are becoming less common as hospitals tighten their purse strings. I know of one program that used to be very cush and offered 2 months of research. Recently the program has changed their policy and now those months are used for other inpatient rotations. The rationale was that the program is paying residents a salary and so residents should be taking care of patients.

6. OTOSwap

OTOSwap

Apr 2, 2017
    You won't find cush anymore. I would try to pick the one that will give you the strongest base knowledge and management. You never know what the future holds and having a strong foundation will be beneficial even years later.

7. ophthapp1

ophthapp1 2+ Year Member

Aug 23, 2015
    First sentence: False.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

8. PDTY

PDTY

Feb 26, 2017
    I wouldn't recommend "cush." Look for customization (elective choices) and fit (community vs academic). If you like teaching and doing research, don't look at community as heavily.

My current musing: "Cush" can set you up to be "lazy," and with current burnout rates for all age physicians, I wonder if the expectation for some was set in a "cush" program that work life would always be easy. As an attending, they got broadsided by CMS, hospital admin, partner expectations, and general regulatory systems that make physician life hard. And now are burned out.

In reality, I just think we're all burned out due to increased regulations, and previous resident experience doesn't play into it at all.

9. catzzz88

catzzz88 Purrrrrr!?!11?? 5+ Year Member

Mar 28, 2011
    Los Angeles
    MDApps:
    Yeah guys I am wondering if anyone has an excel sheet with the TY programs and things like # weeks of electives, # weeks of ICU, # weeks of night float, etc.

10. Cognovi

Cognovi Knowledge worker

Feb 10, 2016
    Physician
    BWH gives two months of research (or other electives).