2017 Midwestern University PsyD Program Thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CarsonH19

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview scheduled for the end of November at MWU Downers Grove. I've read past forum post's about their program when they were recently APA accredited, although they are still considered a "new" and "developing" program. Does anyone have any opinions on modern day MWU at Downers Grove IL? MWU has about a 75% APA internship match rate as of last year. But the EPPP pass rate for first attempt students is horrifyingly low from what I understand (54%). But beyond this do you feel as if the program is growing and has potential?

Thanks for your time!

Members don't see this ad.

27k in tuition alone. I'd be looking elsewhere and for cheaper options. I wouldn't recommend spending that much in tuition even at an established program, let alone a "growing" program with some horrible stats in years past.

I've trained with students at the "degree mill" PsyD programs in Chicago (including Midwestern), and I keep hearing about large cohort sizes (20+), horrible match rates (75% is their highest since the program started), and in general low satisfaction with the program as a whole. Most programs don't publish acceptance rates, but I'd imagine if you're accepting that many students then you're also bringing in students that are bound to drop out (see Attrition rates) or shouldn't be psychologists to begin with. Also, a number of the profs at this program don't have their degree in Clinical Psych. If you're on the PsyD route and want to stay in Chicago, perhaps consider Roosevelt. They take about 20 students as well but I know some students there have landed part/full-time GAs for a tuition waiver, and their match rates are much better than Midwestern.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I have an interview scheduled for the end of November at MWU Downers Grove. I've read past forum post's about their program when they were recently APA accredited, although they are still considered a "new" and "developing" program. Does anyone have any opinions on modern day MWU at Downers Grove IL? MWU has about a 75% APA internship match rate as of last year. But the EPPP pass rate for first attempt students is horrifyingly low from what I understand (54%). But beyond this do you feel as if the program is growing and has potential?

Thanks for your time!
I would definitely NOT consider them. I wouldn't waste any time or expense on attending the interview unless it is local for you, in which case you could use it like a practice interview I guess. Just don't let them woo you over with any fancy talk :) Definitely not worth the gamble and expense of attending though.

CarsonH19 wrote: "But beyond this do you feel as if the program is growing and has potential?"

So, I will ask: "But beyond the unfortunate incident during the third act, how did you enjoy the rest of the play Mrs. Lincoln?"

Forgive my snarkiness here, but I think it helps to illustrate the obvious point that everyone is making. One should not perform mental gymnastics to find "positives" (not that I think the craptastic 75% match rate is actually acceptable), but then essentially downplay obvious fatal flaws - and definitely not at such a high price tag. One does not pay for a new Rolls Royce only to accept delivery of a used Yugo with three tires and a hissing radiator.

Last edited:
Didn't Midwestern try to get accredited several years ago and was denied the first time around?

I attended an internship interview with two of their students in a group format. It was nothing short of horrifying because they clearly didn't know what they were talking about...And this is when they were trying to present themselves in the best light possible. They also divulged some pretty concerning things about their program's leadership during non-interview time. Steer clear.

I attended an internship interview with two of their students in a group format. It was nothing short of horrifying because they clearly didn't know what they were talking about...And this is when they were trying to present themselves in the best light possible. They also divulged some pretty concerning things about their program's leadership during non-interview time. Steer clear.
Can you tell us anymore about these?

Can you tell us anymore about these?
Basic, foundational knowledge of theoretical approaches to case conceptualization was lacking in general, to the point that I'm pretty sure other interviewees had to pick up their jaw in order to reply. I'd prefer not to be specific about the administrative issues publicly. If you have questions, I'm happy to answer what I can over PM.