2017-2018 PM&R Application Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is it too early for this? I only have two interview invites so far, both at places that I did away rotations at. I fit in really well with these programs, and I’m pretty sure if I’m going to match, it will probably be with one of these programs.

I’m tempted to email some other programs about interviews, but based on some past threads it seems like people start emailing sometime in mid November. Maybe I should start doing it, I’m very nervous.

I applied very broadly, about 50 programs. Below average board scores but no red flags. I think this year will Show how difficult it is to match pm&r. Hope everyone is having a bit more success than me

I think the additional contact is especially important geographically. For example: if you are at UVA, went to Georgetown for uni, and grew up in Philly, UC Irvine might assume that you are not truly about that West Coast life.

Bottom line: PDs don't want to burn interview spots.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you misinterpreted the ERAS message. There were only a few dates left available to schedule an interview, and they said to put your name down on the waitlist for a date if you couldn't get the one you wanted.

Wait so simply "responding to the message" and waiting for available dates was not what we were supposed to do with Schwab? There was nothing to schedule OR waitlist by the time I checked. What now?

Wait so simply "responding to the message" and waiting for available dates was not what we were supposed to do with Schwab? There was nothing to schedule OR waitlist by the time I checked. What now?
If it's a program that you really want to check out, I would call the PC and explain your misunderstanding. I don't think there are any waitlist spots open anymore, but it's worth a phone call if you care about the program.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Offered a waitlist interview yesterday. What’s the general consensus with these interviews? They asked me to rank two dates and told me they would notify me if spots came available. Anyone have any idea what the odds of a spot opening up is? Also, will they know that I was a waitlist interview when they do the rank list? I would hate to waste time/money on travel at a place I have no shot at matching, but I’m also in no position to turn down interviews. Any insight?

Anyone have any info/insight on the Nebraska program? I have an interview coming up soon and it’s hard to do research because it’s brand new

Is it time to be worried to only have a handful of invites? (5)- rhetorical, I'm worried

Offered a waitlist interview yesterday. What’s the general consensus with these interviews? They asked me to rank two dates and told me they would notify me if spots came available. Anyone have any idea what the odds of a spot opening up is? Also, will they know that I was a waitlist interview when they do the rank list? I would hate to waste time/money on travel at a place I have no shot at matching, but I’m also in no position to turn down interviews. Any insight?

I matched at a program after interviewing on a space available situation. Apparently programs are interested in more applicants than they can interview. If they are humoring you with an interview...then they are likely interested. Considering that interview day largely determines the PD rank order, you should just go about it as if was any other interview.

Anyone with a Schwab 11/08 date want to swap for my 01/10?

I matched at a program after interviewing on a space available situation. Apparently programs are interested in more applicants than they can interview. If they are humoring you with an interview...then they are likely interested. Considering that interview day largely determines the PD rank order, you should just go about it as if was any other interview.
Thanks for all the advice j4pac. I’m hopeful the waitlist interview invite will turn to a real invite because I’m actually doing an audition at that program in December. I would hate to be rejected before I even start my rotation. That would make for an awkward month

Thanks for all the advice j4pac. I’m hopeful the waitlist interview invite will turn to a real invite because I’m actually doing an audition at that program in December. I would hate to be rejected before I even start my rotation. That would make for an awkward month

PDs have the authority to unreject you. Just work hard.

Is it time to be worried to only have a handful of invites? (5)- rhetorical, I'm worried
I only have 3 PM&R interviews. I’m slightly terrified. I might need to come up with a backup plan....

On another note, it only takes one place to rank you in the top to match. We got this right? Everything is fine, this is fine.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't seen an updated list in a while, so I've added a few. If you guys could continue to upload it that would be greatioooo

Arkansas

UA: 10/27, 11/17, 12/15, 1/5

Florida
Memorial: Fri 11/3

Illinois
Shirley Ryan (previously RIC): every Wed and Thursday from 11/15 to 1/18 except Christmas and Thanksgiving weeks

Indiana
Indiana U (10/2): 10/16, 10/23, 10/30, 11/6, 11/13, 11/27, 12/4, 12/11, 12/18

Kentucky

Louisville (9/18): Fri - 11/10, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15, 01/12

Maryland
Sinai: Sat 10/7

Massachusetts
Spaulding: end of october to mid december, don't remember the exact dates in the survey
Tufts: 12/09, 01/06, 1/20

New Jersey
JFK: Fri/Tues - 10/20, 10/24, 11/17, 11/21, 11/28
Rutgers/Kessler (10/2): Wed/Fri - 10/25, 11/1, 11/3, 11/8, 11/15, 11/29, 12/1, 12/6, 12/13, 12/20

New York
Einstein/Montefiore (9/19): 10/23, 11/6, 11/13, 11/20
Mt. Sinai: Tue - 10/3, 10/10
Nassau (9/18): 9/29, 10/6, 10/27, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/22
Rochester: 10/20, 10/21, 11/17, 12/15
Stony Brook: (10/2) - 11/2
New York Presbyterian: 10/26, 11/02, 11/09, 11/16, 11/30, 12/07, 12/14, 12/21

North Carolina
ECU: M/W/F - 10/16, 10/18, 10/30, 11/1, 11/10, 11/13, 11/15, 11/29, 12/1, 12/4, 12/8, 12/11

Ohio
Ohio State (9/18): 10/20, 10/27, 11/3, 11/13, 11/17, 12/1, 12/4, 12/8, 12/15, 12/18
Case Western (9/19): 10/3, 10/6, 10/17, 10/24, 10/27, 10/31, 11/14, 11/17, 11/21, 11/28, 12/1, 12/5, 12/8, 12/12, 12/15, 12/19, 12/22

Pennsylvania
Penn State: Fri - 9/29, 11/3, 11/17
Temple (9/19, 9/21): Wed - 10/18, 10/25, 11/1, 11/8, 11/15
UPMC: 11/09, 11/30, 12/11, 12/14, 12/18, 1/11, 1/22

Tennessee
Vanderbilt (9/18): 10/24, 11/8, 11/17, 12/7, 12/13, 1/5

Virginia
UVA: Thurs - 10/26, 11/2, 11/9, 11/16, 11/30, 12/7, 12/14
VCU: Fri - 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/15, 1/12

Washington
UW (9/26): Fri - 10/27, 11/3, 11/17, 12/1, 12/8, 12/15, 1/5

Whats the consensus on thank you notes? I interviewed at a program where the PD basically said dont send notes, but you can if you want.. and then in the folder had a list of emails as well as instructions to CC the coordinator to have the letters placed in our file - which seems contradictory. I doubt this directly affects ranking, but may influence peoples thoughts subconsciously... just wanted to get your opinions

Last edited:
Whats the consensus on thank you notes? I interviewed at a program where the PD basically said dont send notes, but you can if you want.. and then in the folder had a list of emails as well as instructions to CC the coordinator to have the letters placed in our file. Seems contradictory, with thank you notes in our file meaning they wont rank us?

If everyone did the same thank you, then it would be worthless. Personally when I interviewed I sent thank you hallmark cards to my top 4 choices. I didn't do anything else for the other programs.

I only have 3 PM&R interviews. I’m slightly terrified. I might need to come up with a backup plan....

On another note, it only takes one place to rank you in the top to match. We got this right? Everything is fine, this is fine.

I just hope November is still anticipated to be a busy month with invites.

does anyone want to switch schwab interview dates? i have 12/15 and need any other date. i also posted on the google doc. thanks!

Anyone want to swap UPenn Interview dates? I was offered 12/11, would prefer any other date.

edit: or any Montefiore interviews. Have 12/11 looking for 12/4 or any later date.

Edit2: managed to find someone to swap. Thanks everyone, good luck on the interview trail

Last edited:
Sorry to post this again, but has anyone interviewed at the university of Nebraska? Have an interview coming up and hoping to get some more information about it. It’s a brand new program, so I’m not sure there is much anyone can really say but I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks

So i get an invite to Michigan State but when i get on to ERAS to schedule all the slots are taken. Is it common practice to send out more invites then you have spots for? The email only sat in my inbox for a few hrs before i saw it. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

So i get an invite to Michigan State but when i get on to ERAS to schedule all the slots are taken. Is it common practice to send out more invites then you have spots for? The email only sat in my inbox for a few hrs before i saw it. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

yes, some programs will do this because they simply have too many applicants. Last year, there were some programs that filled interview slots in <5 minutes.

Hi does anyone want to trade dates for Case Western? I'm on for 1/12/18.

I'm interested in a JFK swap as well.

Last edited:
anybody have updates? I just want to see what the future will hold for me next year. Thanks for those who have posted
Seems like most programs have wrapped up interviews by now. Good luck with the match everyone.

can people who got interview at some of the top places like Mayo and Spaulding provide some stats?
I think many of us are waiting until match day to provide more information, just in case. Ask again March 18th, maybe? (Because I may be recovering the 17th) :p

Did everyone who interviewed there get a card in the mail from RIC?

Anyone comment on Michigan vs Ohio State. Red vs Blue. Rivals in real life and rivals on my rank list. Both offer great research opportunities. OSU has models systems in SCI/TBI. Michigan has better sports experience, provides the resident assistant and provides tons of fellowships. Both are pretty even in my heart and on my rank list. Any comments?

Anyone comment on Michigan vs Ohio State. Red vs Blue. Rivals in real life and rivals on my rank list. Both offer great research opportunities. OSU has models systems in SCI/TBI. Michigan has better sports experience, provides the resident assistant and provides tons of fellowships. Both are pretty even in my heart and on my rank list. Any comments?
I interviewed at OSU only, but I can offer some general advice and say consider which of the two physical locations you think you'd be happier at .both programs will surely give you the opportunities and education you need, but there will be difference between the people at each location and the cities themselves .I'm in intern year now and ive realized how valuable it is to be happy in the city you are in and enjoy the people you're around. Could also consider which places have the fellowships you're interested in.

I personally dropped OSU pretty low on my list because of how exhausted and worked I thought the residents were. They have some brutal inpatient rotations with really sick folks and high acuity and I don't have any future interest in inpatient rehab. If you are leaning towards brain/spine, though, OSU might be the stronger place. They did just bring on a PMR sports guy last year who is working to bring more ultrasound into the curriculum too so that's a plus.

I have a ROL question. In addition to putting your TY/prelim programs in the supplemental ROL, is there any benefit to putting them at the end of your primary ROL? I would presume that if you were to do this and you did not match at an advanced program, you would run the risk of binding to a TY/prelim without a chance at the SOAP?

I have a ROL question. In addition to putting your TY/prelim programs in the supplemental ROL, is there any benefit to putting them at the end of your primary ROL? I would presume that if you were to do this and you did not match at an advanced program, you would run the risk of binding to a TY/prelim without a chance at the SOAP?

You still have the opportunity to SOAP, however only for advanced PGY2-4 programs. I chose not to do this because it would eliminate categorical PMR spots in the SOAP (although it’s unlikely there will be any/few unmatched spots with recent match data) and/or other specialties like categorical anesthesia and Internal Med backup plans.

Good luck everyone! Will post my rank list and reviews after it closes tonight

Reactions: 1 users
Rank list:
1) RIC categorical
2) RIC advanced
3) UPMC categorical
4) OSU categorical
5) UPMC advanced
6) OSU advanced
7) Emory advanced
8) Utah categorical
9) Jefferson advanced
10) Case Western categorical
11) Kessler advanced
12) Vidant categorical
13) Case western advanced
14) Penn State advanced
15) UAB advanced
16) Schwab advanced
17) UC Irvine advanced
18) U Wisconsin advanced
19) Indiana advanced
20) Albany categorical
21) U Texas San Antonio categorical

It was a long interview season. Mistakes I made were scheduling interviews earlier on that I later wish I had cancelled, leading to more interviews than I should have gone on. Also scheduling back to back interviews was difficult. I was so tired one time that I didn't remember anything about the program after interviewing other than remembering that I liked it a lot. At its worst, I had flown from MDT -> Pitt -> MDT -> CMH in four days with an interview at each because of some inconvenient last minute scheduling.

Reactions: 2 users
I personally dropped OSU pretty low on my list because of how exhausted and worked I thought the residents were. They have some brutal inpatient rotations with really sick folks and high acuity and I don't have any future interest in inpatient rehab. If you are leaning towards brain/spine, though, OSU might be the stronger place. They did just bring on a PMR sports guy last year who is working to bring more ultrasound into the curriculum too so that's a plus.

OSU mostly focuses on oncology rehab and general rehab anymore. Unfortunately they don't get any TBI or traumatic spinal cord patient's anymore from Columbus (all go to other facilities).

OSU mostly focuses on oncology rehab and general rehab anymore. Unfortunately they don't get any TBI or traumatic spinal cord patient's anymore from Columbus (all go to other facilities).

I thought OSU has model systems in TBI and SCI.

Rank list:
1) RIC categorical
2) RIC advanced
3) UPMC categorical
4) OSU categorical
5) UPMC advanced
6) OSU advanced
7) Emory advanced
8) Utah categorical
9) Jefferson advanced
10) Case Western categorical
11) Kessler advanced
12) Vidant categorical
13) Case western advanced
14) Penn State advanced
15) UAB advanced
16) Schwab advanced
17) UC Irvine advanced
18) U Wisconsin advanced
19) Indiana advanced
20) Albany categorical
21) U Texas San Antonio categorical

It was a long interview season. Mistakes I made were scheduling interviews earlier on that I later wish I had cancelled, leading to more interviews than I should have gone on. Also scheduling back to back interviews was difficult. I was so tired one time that I didn't remember anything about the program after interviewing other than remembering that I liked it a lot. At its worst, I had flown from MDT -> Pitt -> MDT -> CMH in four days with an interview at each because of some inconvenient last minute scheduling.

I had a questions about your preliminary year interviews. How many places did you apply to and how many interviews did you get? I am concerned about the internship year crunch happening for preliminary medicine inter year. Did you also interview at surgery preliminaries as well (not sure if this also meets the requirement for PM&R)?

I had a questions about your preliminary year interviews. How many places did you apply to and how many interviews did you get? I am concerned about the internship year crunch happening for preliminary medicine inter year. Did you also interview at surgery preliminaries as well (not sure if this also meets the requirement for PM&R)?

Unless you are an MD with solid scores (Step 240+), I would apply smartly and to a lot. I'm a DO with good scores but I still applied to over 40 prelim and 40 TY. Ended up getting like 6-7 TY (Michigan TY's are very DO friendly btw) and only 4 prelim interviews. One thing no one really talks about is how a lot of internal medicine programs screen out candidates who don't have an IM chair letter. I don't know if this applies to prelims (I'm sure not all of them) but it might make sense given how few prelims I got but TY's were seemingly easier.

If you live in the midwest, I would apply to as many of each as you can afford and can reasonably drive to. Then maybe use the strategy of applying to cities where you know you are interested in the advanced PM&R program there. Many times if you call up the intern spot at the city you got a PM&R interview from they will offer to interview you while you're making the trip out there. Most of the time these programs just get hundreds or thousands of applicants so they have no way to know who is seriously interested which is why making that call is a good thing.

Unless you are an MD with solid scores (Step 240+), I would apply smartly and to a lot. I'm a DO with good scores but I still applied to over 40 prelim and 40 TY. Ended up getting like 6-7 TY (Michigan TY's are very DO friendly btw) and only 4 prelim interviews. One thing no one really talks about is how a lot of internal medicine programs screen out candidates who don't have an IM chair letter. I don't know if this applies to prelims (I'm sure not all of them) but it might make sense given how few prelims I got but TY's were seemingly easier.

If you live in the midwest, I would apply to as many of each as you can afford and can reasonably drive to. Then maybe use the strategy of applying to cities where you know you are interested in the advanced PM&R program there. Many times if you call up the intern spot at the city you got a PM&R interview from they will offer to interview you while you're making the trip out there. Most of the time these programs just get hundreds or thousands of applicants so they have no way to know who is seriously interested which is why making that call is a good thing.

I'm a DO student, but not at a midwest school. Also, how does getting a letter or recommendation work for a TY or medicine-preliminary? Thank you so much for the advice this has been really helpful.

I'm a DO student, but not at a midwest school. Also, how does getting a letter or recommendation work for a TY or medicine-preliminary? Thank you so much for the advice this has been really helpful.

You can use the same letters used for your PM&R programs, they don’t need to be tailored to the prelim/TY programs. They understand you are dual-applying and are going into something else eventually. However, if I were to do it again, I’d try to get a strong IM letter from a chair or something. But that’s difficult as a DO if you didn’t have an IM department within your med school like me.

For DO appicants. In the event we don't match prelim/TY next week and would rather not do prelim-surg, can we reach out and do an osteopathic TRI if we find an open spot? I'm pretty sure there are still some left over from the DO match. Is this allowed still? Or will programs only accept ACGME accredited prelims now? Are the good ol' days of an osteopathic TRI over?

For DO appicants. In the event we don't match prelim/TY next week and would rather not do prelim-surg, can we reach out and do an osteopathic TRI if we find an open spot? I'm pretty sure there are still some left over from the DO match. Is this allowed still? Or will programs only accept ACGME accredited prelims now? Are the good ol' days of an osteopathic TRI over?

When I went through the process I got documentation from all: ACGME, ABPMR, and each program I applied to for insurance. I ended up not in this situation, but I felt better having proof that it was acceptable at each level before match day so that I would not be trying to find out in the moment. Im not sure if there have been any updates this year. You should be able to find the ACGME and ABPMR policies online.

A quick search returned....
"Acceptability of AoA–Accredited training
Through June 30, 2020, the ABPmr will recognize AoA–accredited training as acceptable toward internship-level Pm&r residency training "
Reference: I cant post links, but google "abpmr aoa tri" and its top link.

Last weekend. Think the plan is to get wasted until Monday so I dont waste a perfectly good weekend a nervous wreck. Good luck everyone.

I matched! Stay tuned until Friday, I'll post my match list and stats and update with where I matched to!

Good luck today everyone!

FYI...if you matched to an advanced program without a categorical (i.e. military applicant), you can call the NRMP to get your match location.

What happens if one matches into an advanced program but not a preliminary/transitional spot? I will be applying the next cycle and kind of worried about this. I know there is the SOAP but are chances still slim going this route?

What happens if one matches into an advanced program but not a preliminary/transitional spot? I will be applying the next cycle and kind of worried about this. I know there is the SOAP but are chances still slim going this route?
If you were not to match into a prelim/TY slot, you would need to try to SOAP into one throughout the week otherwise you would forfeit the advanced spot because you did not receive adequate training prior to that contract starting. Fortunately this is fairly uncommon if you apply to prelim/TY programs broadly, especially if it's something you're worried about.