2017-2018 Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine (NOVA)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Maybe not many people have dropped acceptances yet. The DO multiple acceptances deadline isn't until May 15th. I don't know about anyone else, but I haven't received financial aid info from any school I've been accepted to yet, and I would really like to have those numbers before I drop anything at all.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted a couple months ago, was wondering if anyone has info on this year being Pass/Fail classes for those graduating 2022? Is this fake news?

Accepted a couple months ago, was wondering if anyone has info on this year being Pass/Fail classes for those graduating 2022? Is this fake news?
Our class was told this was the case which is great news! Unfortunately my class is switching to a letter system which really makes no sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry if this was already asked but is there a facebook page for accepted students?

So I know some of the MD students are receiving huge scholarships. Any idea if DO students may have similar offers?

So I know some of the MD students are receiving huge scholarships. Any idea if DO students may have similar offers?

No because the MD school is new and not fully accredited so they usually do that for new classes.

Reactions: 1 user
I feel like I'm asking this too much... but seeing as I am an anxious waitlist-er...

... has there been any WL movement? What's the next big point when they will likely have some movement? I know a lot of people were mentioning March 15th because of the deposit, but it looks like there was barely, if any, waitlist movement around that time.

I feel like I'm asking this too much... but seeing as I am an anxious waitlist-er...

... has there been any WL movement? What's the next big point when they will likely have some movement? I know a lot of people were mentioning March 15th because of the deposit, but it looks like there was barely, if any, waitlist movement around that time.
The last I emailed them (last week of March), they said they would start reviewing the waitlist the second week of April

Members don't see this ad :)
The last I emailed them (last week of March), they said they would start reviewing the waitlist the second week of April

That's this week! And I also read that they meet on Thursdays, which is today.

*anxiousness intensifies*

That's this week! And I also read that they meet on Thursdays, which is today.

*anxiousness intensifies*
yeah, but that's just to start reviewing, I'm not sure if they will actually start taking off the waitlist this week or next

yeah, but that's just to start reviewing, I'm not sure if they will actually start taking off the waitlist this week or next

You're right, but one can hope! Lol. From last year's thread it looks like the first person to get off the waitlist posted on April 28th, which is around next week. Probably won't be exactly the same, but it sounds similar to what they told you via email.

No because the MD school is new and not fully accredited so they usually do that for new classes.
Ah, okay. Thank you! I didn't realize they aren't fully accredited. Is that standard for all brand new medical schools?

Does anyone know what timeframe we should expect the academic calendar to be posted/receive the class schedule?

Will be withdrawing my acceptance from here. It’s hard saying no to Fort Lauderdale and NOVA.

Just read that Nova is planning on having their new hospital finished by 2018, if that does happen it will be huge for both medical schools

Just read that Nova is planning on having their new hospital finished by 2018, if that does happen it will be huge for both medical schools
Very exciting! By the way, when asked if students would be able to do rotations there, the Dean shared that she did not think that would be a good idea. She said she thinks it will be too small and won't serve as a teaching hospital (at least not initially).

Hi everyone, I'm going to be applying next cycle and was just looking for some advice! I was wondering if anyone had received a secondary without having their MCAT score on the application yet? I'm looking at pushing my MCAT date back so I won't get the results until June 26th but I'm really hoping to get an interview before October because I'm pregnant and I don't want to be huge during the interview. Hoping to keep it on the DL and hide the bump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

For those who have been accepted, are there any other upcoming deadlines? I know that March 15th was a deposit deadline. What are all the upcoming deadlines for matriculation?

For those who have been accepted, are there any other upcoming deadlines? I know that March 15th was a deposit deadline. What are all the upcoming deadlines for matriculation?

1) Preorder white coat through the book store as soon as possible.
2) Set up NSU email as soon as possible using the NSU ID that was assigned to us.
3) Submit Official Transcript as soon as possible.
4) Submit background check, physical examination, and immunization requirements (you can find this form on the website) by July 1st.

All of these requirements and instructions on how to complete them will be emailed to you once you have been accepted and after you create a sharkMail account.

I wish they would tell us where we stand in the WL. That way, we could plan what needs to be done in case we need to reapply next cycle.

Can't really "plan" ahead if some Masters programs start in June-July-ish, and if someone decides to take summer classes, those end in August. And... it also gives you an idea if you should retake your MCAT and if you should, when should you. Next thing you know, you find out you don't get accepted at Nova, and then realize it's August & it's too late for a Masters, you didn't take summer classes, and now it's too late to sign up and even take DIY post-bacc classes for the Fall semester.

Moreover, the professors I know who do research, good luck in asking them last minute around August. You need to let them know by Summer-ish, so you also have research opportunities going out the window as well.

This is just some venting, but also some thoughts IMO why they should tell us where we stand on the WL, so we can actually plan ahead.

I feel your pain :(

Btw have you tried asking them where you stand on the WL and explaining your circumstances? But based on this thread there hasn't been much WL movement at all.

Very exciting! By the way, when asked if students would be able to do rotations there, the Dean shared that she did not think that would be a good idea. She said she thinks it will be too small and won't serve as a teaching hospital (at least not initially).
Funny, I heard the exact opposite at the Nova MD interview - that the hospital would indeed be ready by 4th year (2021-2022) and 4th years would have rotations there.

I wonder if they're planning on making it a site solely for the MD students and excluding the DO students. That would be super crappy.

Has anyone on the waitlist heard anything recently? I'm hoping the coming weeks show some movement!

Funny, I heard the exact opposite at the Nova MD interview - that the hospital would indeed be ready by 4th year (2021-2022) and 4th years would have rotations there.

I wonder if they're planning on making it a site solely for the MD students and excluding the DO students. That would be super crappy.
Interesting... I guess only time will tell. However, I agree that reserving it for one program over another would be unfortunate. This would be a good follow-up question for Admissions to receive clarity.

I’ve heard from someone that it’s only going to be ~150 beds which is small, too small for being a teaching hospital. Don’t know if that number is correct though.

This was mentioned by a random employee at Nova when I was at the plaza on that property with the ER that’s expanding into the hospital.

I’ve heard from someone that it’s only going to be ~150 beds which is small, too small for being a teaching hospital. Don’t know if that number is correct though.

This was mentioned by a random employee at Nova when I was at the plaza on that property with the ER that’s expanding into the hospital.
This is the same reasoning I was told.

Has anyone heard back recently? Asking for a friend :whistle:

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know when the dual students (the ones that get a seat from undergrad) have to decide whether they want to stay or not? Someone told me that happens at the end of May but I'm not sure.

Just got accepted off the alternate list! Interviewed in December

Reactions: 9 users
Lol... are they still interviewing? I have acceptances at other DO schools but would rather be at nova for family

Thinking about applying here next cycle if I end up being rejected at the school that I am waitlisted in. On a very serious note, what stats should I have to be competitive for the forthcoming cycle? Please dont provide any biased answers be as blunt and truthful as possible. I will do everything in my power to meet these expectations.

Thinking about applying here next cycle if I end up being rejected at the school that I am waitlisted in. On a very serious note, what stats should I have to be competitive for the forthcoming cycle? Please dont provide any biased answers be as blunt and truthful as possible. I will do everything in my power to meet these expectations.

I would say a GPA of 3.6+ and an MCAT of 505+ to be considered. But of course, other factors may contribute such as a high GPA or good extracurriculars/letters. I personally had a 3.9 GPA and a 503 MCAT (w/ a very low 123 in CARS).

I have a graduate gpa of a 3.5 after doing a masters in biomedical at GA PCOM. My mcat is sub 500 but will be aiming for a 510+

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Realistically what are my chances at matriculation with a 498 MCAT and aforementioned graduate GPA should I get rejected from the school that I’m waitlisted at

Realistically what are my chances at matriculation with a 498 MCAT and aforementioned graduate GPA should I get rejected from the school that I’m waitlisted at

Realistically you need a 500+ mcat for most DO schools besides maybe some of the new ones.

Reactions: 2 users

Nova Is competitive, a top DO school, 498 isn’t a safe spot, if you’re sticking with it, definitely apply early

Anyone on the waitlist hear anything recently? I called them a few weeks back and they said this year they're having slow waitlist movement. Why this year :(

The class Facebook page has 290 people :(( I want to get off the waitlist so bad :(

The class Facebook page has 290 people I want to get off the waitlist so bad.

Yeah but many of them are students from previous classes. I would bet at least a 70 to 100 of them are current students.

Anyone on the waitlist hear anything recently? I called them a few weeks back and they said this year they're having slow waitlist movement. Why this year :(

I looked at the previous years thread and it seems like most WL movement happened in June so who knows!

Did they say it was slow like when you called or in general? I know the deadline to hold one acceptance has passed so possibly some good movement in the upcoming weeks!