2017-2018 DACA Medical School Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JungleeBilli

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have noticed a few of us here and there on SDN but I know that many of us, like myself, have a million and one questions about the application process and what our chances are. Fortunately, the number of schools that claim to accept applications from DACA applicants is increasing and the amount of actual DACA students matriculated to medical schools in the United States is increasing so I created this as an information and support forum for us all in this cycle.

For any DACA students currently in medical school or accepted in medical school, any information on schools to apply to, financing education and the application process would be greatly appreciated (please mention where you got IIs, Accepted to and where you'll be going to/are currently going to).

For those who are applying this year can we just use this to share our wealth of knowledge for others as well.

Good luck y'all.

Please keep all political discussions on the legality of DACA, etc to nill on this thread. Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
There are 65 DACA students in US MD schools and 8 at DO schools.
There are at least 4 in residencies now.
Many of us are doing what we can to maintain and expand current protections.
I look forward to your success.

Reactions: 17 users
Just posting in solidarity. Be careful and protect your anonymity on these forums. There are a lot of malicious people on the internet.

Late last year, the Atlantic published a story on DACA students in medicine and said that half of the 65 DACA USMD students were at Loyola Stritch SOM.

Reactions: 12 users
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't get all the info you want on this thread then feel free to join the Pre-Health Dreamers FB group. They have tons of good info and resources. Log into Facebook | Facebook

Reactions: 1 users
I've been emailing DO schools. From what I hear (and have confirmed) Touro DO schools and University of Northern Texas (>90% texas residents) also accept DACA! :D No financial aid though (private loans only). I'll update if I hear of any more. If anyone knows of any lower MD schools to apply to, please post too!

Reactions: 1 user
Fortunately, DACA is still in effect and I sincerely hope Trump keeps the program alive for the rest of his presidency.

There are 65 DACA students in US MD schools and 8 at DO schools.
There are at least 4 in residencies now.
Many of us are doing what we can to maintain and expand current protections.
I look forward to your success.

Curious...how are DACA students funding med school? Are they able to take out student loans?

Best wishes for you all.

Curious...how are DACA students funding med school? Are they able to take out student loans?

Best wishes for you all.
DACA students are not eligible for federal loans.
Private loans and university resources are about it.
Even school loans are often restricted (by donors) to citizens, though...

Reactions: 1 users
DACA students are not eligible for federal loans.
Private loans and university resources are about it.
Even school loans are often restricted (by donors) to citizens, though...

With such uncertainty of funding, it must really discourage many from even starting the app process.

Probably late to this thread, but if any DACA applicants have any questions, please feel to reach out to me! I'm a DACA medical student myself.
Hey!!!

That's great to hear. Can I ask what school at? Or if that's too sensitive then any advice on schools to apply to and why you recommend those schools would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Probably late to this thread, but if any DACA applicants have any questions, please feel to reach out to me! I'm a DACA medical student myself.

Was it difficult for you to get funding or were you accepted into one of the well-endowed schools which gave very generous grants

Funding was a very stressful worry for me, but in the end it worked out. The school I attend has very generous merit scholarships and need-based grants. The rest was covered with institutional loans, which are school-issued loans. I think financial aid packages are a good thing to look out for when choosing schools. Some schools explicitly mention no aid whatsoever for DACA students despite being able to accept them.

Good point. Which med schools are known for providing the means for aid (grants, their own loans, etc)? I think it's strange for a med school to state no aid whatsoever for DACA students, yet they will accept them. These aren't like typical int'l students who may have wealthy parents. I would think that many or most DACA students have parents with average incomes or below.

think perhaps the gesture of considering DACA students for admissions was based more on school image and perhaps moral grounds than practical grounds.

I was thinking the same thing.

Interesting, though. Med schools seem to be very concerned about yield, yet some will accept students with little or no means to borrow, who then have to decline? What an empty gesture.

Hey guys! So I am planning on hopefully applying for the 2018-2019 cycle and I am a DACA recipient. Has anyone heard anything regarding applying to medical school at this point now that Trump has eliminated the program? It seems to me like this could be the best thing or the worst thing since IF a law is passed, then we will be considered residents and thus our options will have expanded but in the case that it is NOT passed, then would it be worthwhile to apply as simply an international student?

Hey guys! So I am planning on hopefully applying for the 2018-2019 cycle and I am a DACA recipient. Has anyone heard anything regarding applying to medical school at this point now that Trump has eliminated the program? It seems to me like this could be the best thing or the worst thing since IF a law is passed, then we will be considered residents and thus our options will have expanded but in the case that it is NOT passed, then would it be worthwhile to apply as simply an international student?
Schools are making plans for both outcomes.
Naturally one would be a lot easier to accommodate than the other!
If our DACA students lose eligibility for the Match, strategies will include delay of graduation with either a Leave of Absence or Master's programs.
Failure to normalize the status of our current students will have a chilling effect on the future of undocumented students, I'm afraid.

Reactions: 3 users
Adding my name to this thread. I am an MS1 able to offer any advice to any fellow DACA applicant. The support is needed now more than ever.

Going to post also in solidarity with you guys. It sucks to be in this situation and although you need more than what I'm about to give, I'll offer my thoughts and prayers. And also my vote as well.

Does anyone of any official statements released by medical schools regarding the rescinding of DACA, specifically if they will consider applications of DACA students?

Hey! I'm a DACA recipient currently applying this cycle! Let's connect :)

Yeah I want to echo a post above, you guys should consider creating "burner" accounts to post on this thread. There are some terrible people out there who would go to great lengths to bust your anonymity.