[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Rank Order List Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The Northface v. Patagonia v. Offbrand pullovers/fleece is much more important than their scrub colors.

Come at me.
Having a real hard time between Ohio State and Indiana. Anyone else interview at both have any thoughts?

Interviewed at both and really liked the residents of OSU and felt like I belonged there a little more than Indiana. Also a fun group but in terms of 'ridigity' and what I perceived to have flexibility in a program I found OSU to offer that more than Indiana.

Members don't see this ad.

We should start a list of what fleeces the residents get. Patagonia is a big plus for me. Haven't seen any arc'teryx, but that would be awesome.
That list would be useful haha. I feel like I've seen mostly Patagonia at this point.

Discussing petty stuff like this is much better than using real reasons to differentiate programs.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Having a real hard time between Ohio State and Indiana. Anyone else interview at both have any thoughts?
I'm a current PGY3 at a different program, but I looked hard at both of these. Ultimately, IU is (IMHO) probably a bit "better" program overall in terms of training, renowned faculty, and EM resources, but Columbus is such a better place to live (I have lived in both cities) and filled with better people/work environment. I would hands down rank OSU higher, personally. And I did rank them higher. But IU churns out fantastic docs and all fellowships are open to their grads.

It's not.

Based on the 2016 charting outcomes, matched US seniors averaged 233 on Step 1 and 245 on Step 2. No Step data for DOs. Matched IMGs averaged 235 on Step 1 and 242 on Step 2.

I know you mentioned some other factors that affect matching EM, but brand new programs and seat expansions have already been accounted for in the charting outcomes.

Like most other specialties, EM has seen an increase in the numbers across the board for the average applicant. Unfortunately the average right now is 230s/240s, HP/P.

Eh id say more like 220-240 for step 1. The average you said is not wrong but these averages are not as useful . the numbers we see are weighted more heavily in the 220's than the average implies. Moreover 14.6 is a huge SD compared to the other (even much smaller) specialties which means a relatively large variance about the mean, especially considering there are over 1500 matched applicants.

Id also point out that only half (not even most) of matched applicants landed in the 220-242 range. Here's the 2016 matriculant survey they just sent us

https://www.aamc.org/data/448478/b1table.html

As for charting outcomes '16- notice also that compared to other competative specialties EM had the leas amount of difference between matched and unmatched applicant scores (lots of overlap between the middle 50% bars vs say surgery where the two dont overlap at all)...

For the majority of EM, step 1 is a qualifier but just isnt weighted point for point when comparing applicants.

Last edited:
Hi guys, I've finally put together my list and it's time to give back to the community! Just wanted to throw in a different perspective by sharing my experience as a below average student who's fortunate enough to have >12 invites. To all the above posters with amazing stats - Hats off!! Wow, how am I supposed to compete with you guys haha.

Step 1: ~215, Step 2: ~230
EM Rotations: HP/HP/HP
Med school region: West Coast
Miscellaneous: P/HP most clinical rotations with no honors. I'm married and expect to have kids soon.

Considerations for ranking (in order): 3>4 years (I draw a clear line because I'd rather do the extra year of w/e they pitch on attending's salary). Interactions with faculty, residents. Location. Reputation.

1. Emory
Pros - Fun, diverse, engaging residents and future residents (i.e. applicants). Stayed late after pre interview dinner with several of them. Incredible friendly camaraderie among the group. I felt welcomed. I like the ghetto feel at Grady where you have limited resources to play with. You gotta rely on clinical reasoning rather than toys and consultants. Really sick patients who haven't seen a doc in many years (per dinner discussions, residents' record was 83 years). A GSW guy was being resus-ed when we toured, which incidentally was the only trauma I saw on interview trail for w/e it's worth. 1st time in Atlanta, awesome city, warm, diverse, superb food, reasonable COL. Great program reputation. DREAM program.

Cons - Not sure about the whole PDs leaving thing, maybe something, maybe nothing at all. Far from home.

2. Vandy
Pros - Solid training with lots of autonomy. Heavy ICU training. Incredible PD, ADPs. What an impressive group of residents - the best group I met on my interview trail. I don't usually think of the word "humble" to describe doctors but man, these residents are people that I could call brothers and sisters. One of them invited me to stay with him a few more nights to see the city. Nashville has a lot of fun to offer and has affordable housing. Outstanding reputation, one of the best in US. DREAM program.

Cons - Far from home.

3. UC Davis
Pros - Strong clinical training based on academic/county. Great diversity of pathology with lots of trauma. Close knit residents who were fun to talk to and showed a ton of interest in applicants, which was flattering. In all fairness Sacramento does offer a great deal of outdoor activities but it's just not for me. Maybe I'll grow to like it, who knows. Great reputation throughout the country.

Cons - Sacramento not my favorite place.

4. Utah
Pros - It was a great surprise for me! Low key, personable residents and faculty with a bunch of outdoorsy fanatics, with a ridiculously outdoorsy location to match. Great place to raise a family.

Cons - Reputation is average. Not their own department. Off-service rotations.

5. Highland/Alameda
Pros - Stated many times before so won't repeat here. Amazing program with nationally acclaimed experience in residency training. Other factors that impressed me: Strong PD and APDs. Very, very down to earth and smart residents who have tons of interests outside the hospital. Good % are married/have kids which is a plus to me. Reputation is one of the top throughout the country. Man I wish this was a 3 year program.

Cons - 4 year program. High COL. Not the best place to raise a family.

6. UCLA/Harbor
Pros - Excellent training. PD is a very interesting person with a strong personality, would've ranked the program lower if not for her convicing, personal talk. Sometimes it's amazing how a single person can sway your decision by a large margin. Residents are fun to interact with, maybe not the most exciting group (don't know if representative but they looked exhausted as heck) but fun nontheless.

Cons - 4 year program. High COL. Hate commuting (lived in LA a few years, LA traffic is BAD).

7. UCLA/Olive View
Pros - Great faculty, fun residents, awesome dinner at Dr. Morocco's house. One thing that struck me was that nothing in the program struck me, which I think isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall rather average program to me. Training is standard with a 50/50 split between academic and community/county. Reputation is OK.

Cons - 4 year program. High COL. Hate commuting.

8. UCSF/Fresno
Pros - High autonomy for EM residents at the hospital because they don't have many residents there. You get to see quite a good variety of patients and pathology here despite the location. Very family oriented program with lots of married couples w/ and w/o kids. However I didn't get a good vide from the residents at the dinner.

Cons - 4 year program. Fresno is not my fav city. PD and APD are perhaps great educators but didn't give me the friendliest interviews, I felt unwelcome here. This far down the list, every little thing counts when it comes to ranking.

9. Stanford/Kaiser
Pros - Great new PD. Many residents are lukewarm and looked bored, didn't vibe at the dinner, but chief who interviewed me was very nice. Lots of resources, although I'm not terribly interested, may benefit some of you.

Cons - 4 year program. Very high COL which is somewhat unjustified (you pay NYC/SF money without the NYC/SF perks). Reputation not on par with the Stanford name. Worried about "silicon valley patients".

The rest in order: UVA, UC Irvine, St Luke's Roosevelt, Oklahoma, Hennepin

Summary
To this day I still get chills when I look at my rank list and see how fortunate I am to be offered interviews at these institutions. Really grateful for these opportunities as well as the excellent advice I got from the SDN community. Seriously, great informative posts guys. Best of luck, everyone!

Reactions: 6 users
Hi guys, I've finally put together my list and it's time to give back to the community! Just wanted to throw in a different perspective by sharing my experience as a below average student who's fortunate enough to have >12 invites. To all the above posters with amazing stats - Hats off!! Wow, how am I supposed to compete with you guys haha.

Step 1: ~215, Step 2: ~230
EM Rotations: HP/HP/HP
Med school region: West Coast
Miscellaneous: P/HP most clinical rotations with no honors. I'm married and expect to have kids soon.

Considerations for ranking (in order): 3>4 years (I draw a clear line because I'd rather do the extra year of w/e they pitch on attending's salary). Interactions with faculty, residents. Location. Reputation.

1. Emory
Pros - Fun, diverse, engaging residents and future residents (i.e. applicants). Stayed late after pre interview dinner with several of them. Incredible friendly camaraderie among the group. I felt welcomed. I like the ghetto feel at Grady where you have limited resources to play with. You gotta rely on clinical reasoning rather than toys and consultants. Really sick patients who haven't seen a doc in many years (per dinner discussions, residents' record was 83 years). A GSW guy was being resus-ed when we toured, which incidentally was the only trauma I saw on interview trail for w/e it's worth. 1st time in Atlanta, awesome city, warm, diverse, superb food, reasonable COL. Great program reputation. DREAM program.

Cons - Not sure about the whole PDs leaving thing, maybe something, maybe nothing at all. Far from home.

2. Vandy
Pros - Solid training with lots of autonomy. Heavy ICU training. Incredible PD, ADPs. What an impressive group of residents - the best group I met on my interview trail. I don't usually think of the word "humble" to describe doctors but man, these residents are people that I could call brothers and sisters. One of them invited me to stay with him a few more nights to see the city. Nashville has a lot of fun to offer and has affordable housing. Outstanding reputation, one of the best in US. DREAM program.

Cons - Far from home.

3. UC Davis
Pros - Strong clinical training based on academic/county. Great diversity of pathology with lots of trauma. Close knit residents who were fun to talk to and showed a ton of interest in applicants, which was flattering. In all fairness Sacramento does offer a great deal of outdoor activities but it's just not for me. Maybe I'll grow to like it, who knows. Great reputation throughout the country.

Cons - Sacramento not my favorite place.

4. Utah
Pros - It was a great surprise for me! Low key, personable residents and faculty with a bunch of outdoorsy fanatics, with a ridiculously outdoorsy location to match. Great place to raise a family.

Cons - Reputation is average. Not their own department. Off-service rotations.

5. Highland/Alameda
Pros - Stated many times before so won't repeat here. Amazing program with nationally acclaimed experience in residency training. Other factors that impressed me: Strong PD and APDs. Very, very down to earth and smart residents who have tons of interests outside the hospital. Good % are married/have kids which is a plus to me. Reputation is one of the top throughout the country. Man I wish this was a 3 year program.

Cons - 4 year program. High COL. Not the best place to raise a family.

6. UCLA/Harbor
Pros - Excellent training. PD is a very interesting person with a strong personality, would've ranked the program lower if not for her convicing, personal talk. Sometimes it's amazing how a single person can sway your decision by a large margin. Residents are fun to interact with, maybe not the most exciting group (don't know if representative but they looked exhausted as heck) but fun nontheless.

Cons - 4 year program. High COL. Hate commuting (lived in LA a few years, LA traffic is BAD).

7. UCLA/Olive View
Pros - Great faculty, fun residents, awesome dinner at Dr. Morocco's house. One thing that struck me was that nothing in the program struck me, which I think isn't necessarily a bad thing. Overall rather average program to me. Training is standard with a 50/50 split between academic and community/county. Reputation is OK.

Cons - 4 year program. High COL. Hate commuting.

8. UCSF/Fresno
Pros - High autonomy for EM residents at the hospital because they don't have many residents there. You get to see quite a good variety of patients and pathology here despite the location. Very family oriented program with lots of married couples w/ and w/o kids. However I didn't get a good vide from the residents at the dinner.

Cons - 4 year program. Fresno is not my fav city. PD and APD are perhaps great educators but didn't give me the friendliest interviews, I felt unwelcome here. This far down the list, every little thing counts when it comes to ranking.

9. Stanford/Kaiser
Pros - Great new PD. Many residents are lukewarm and looked bored, didn't vibe at the dinner, but chief who interviewed me was very nice. Lots of resources, although I'm not terribly interested, may benefit some of you.

Cons - 4 year program. Very high COL which is somewhat unjustified (you pay NYC/SF money without the NYC/SF perks). Reputation not on par with the Stanford name. Worried about "silicon valley patients".

The rest in order: UVA, UC Irvine, St Luke's Roosevelt, Oklahoma, Hennepin

Summary
To this day I still get chills when I look at my rank list and see how fortunate I am to be offered interviews at these institutions. Really grateful for these opportunities as well as the excellent advice I got from the SDN community. Seriously, great informative posts guys. Best of luck, everyone!

Congrats on the awesome list and thank you for sharing! Just wondering though, is there anything in your application that you think set yourself apart and really appealed to PDs/recruitment committees? I think the answer to that would be especially useful for people with sub-par boards/grades who are trying to make their applications more competitive.

When (if?) are you guys thinking about sending emails of intent? I only have 2 interviews left, but I was wondering if anyone else has sent any out yet. Also, what exactly are you writing? From my understanding, you can't come out and say, I'm going to rank you #1, but you can say "your program is very high on my list" or something along the lines of "your program has all of the qualities I envision for my ideal training, etc".

When (if?) are you guys thinking about sending emails of intent? I only have 2 interviews left, but I was wondering if anyone else has sent any out yet. Also, what exactly are you writing? From my understanding, you can't come out and say, I'm going to rank you #1, but you can say "your program is very high on my list" or something along the lines of "your program has all of the qualities I envision for my ideal training, etc".
You can say literally whatever you want. Incorporate their program name into a haiku if you want.

They just can't ask you where you are ranking them.

Reactions: 1 user
Eh id say more like 220-240 for step 1. The average you said is not wrong but these averages are not as useful . the numbers we see are weighted more heavily in the 220's than the average implies. Moreover 14.6 is a huge SD compared to the other (even much smaller) specialties which means a relatively large variance about the mean, especially considering there are over 1500 matched applicants.

Id also point out that only half (not even most) of matched applicants landed in the 220-242 range. Here's the 2016 matriculant survey they just sent us

https://www.aamc.org/data/448478/b1table.html

As for charting outcomes '16- notice also that compared to other competative specialties EM had the leas amount of difference between matched and unmatched applicant scores (lots of overlap between the middle 50% bars vs say surgery where the two dont overlap at all)...

For the majority of EM, step 1 is a qualifier but just isnt weighted point for point when comparing applicants.

1) I'm not sure what you mean that the average is not useful. The average is exactly that, close to 50th percentile. Of course many people that matched will be below and above, with the most being 220-240. Not sure what you're arguing with me here.

2) Saying that numbers are "weighted more heavily in the 220s" is not true. In 2016, 309 matched with a 221-230 step 1, while 323 matched with a 231-240 score according to Charting Outcomes in 2016. I'm not saying that you can't match with a 220. You definitely can, and 220 is the highest cut-off range that is publicized, but you can't say that more matched applicants were in the 220s, because it's simply not true.

3) The AAMC "2016" data that they just released is based on the 2015 applicant cycle, which makes them 1st year residents in 2015-16. This data is 2 years ago, while the Charting Outcomes was based on 2016 applicant cycle. Please don't use AAMC data. All the numbers were lower across the board.

4) Lastly, Step 1 IS weighted. It's actually one of the most important factors of where you rank as an applicant. According to the PD survey, Step 1 score was the 2nd most important factor for selecting applicants to interview. It is also the 2nd most objective factor for ranking, after interview scores (interaction w/ faculty, staff, residents, etc) and your SLOE.

I completely understand that many applicants have gotten in with 220s or even 210s. Most EM programs also look at more than your step score, but you can't deny the importance of Step 1. We may also be saying the same thing, but your AAMC data is 2 years old and may not reflect the current stats.

Yes, you can tell them you're going to rank them number 1. What you can't do is ask them where they'll rank you, and they can't ask you where you're ranking them.

Any information can be freely shared, but keep in mind that nothing is binding so many PDs put zero stock in this kind of correspondence.

Members don't see this ad :)
So are you guys thinking of sending any emails out? I've read over the past few years posts, and while nothing is binding, I do think there is some merit to it. If they like you, I can see them ranking you a little higher on their list to lock down a spot for both parties.

So are you guys thinking of sending any emails out? I've read over the past few years posts, and while nothing is binding, I do think there is some merit to it. If they like you, I can see them ranking you a little higher on their list to lock down a spot for both parties.

I am in this camp myself. FWIW at the 3 places I rotated, either the PD or APD said to send an interest email if I was serious about going there. However, these might be weighed differently if coming from a rotating student vs a non-rotating student. :shrug:

The PD at my away program told us that he absolutely encouraged e-mailing our #1's telling them such. He did, however, advise against telling #2's/#3's that they were ranked "very highly." Also a terrible idea to tell a program that you're ranking them #1 when they're really lower, but that sort of goes without saying.

I almost pulled the trigger on an e-mail to my #1 today, but had the same question. Too early?

1) I'm not sure what you mean that the average is not useful. The average is exactly that, close to 50th percentile. Of course many people that matched will be below and above, with the most being 220-240. Not sure what you're arguing with me here.

2) Saying that numbers are "weighted more heavily in the 220s" is not true. In 2016, 309 matched with a 221-230 step 1, while 323 matched with a 231-240 score according to Charting Outcomes in 2016. I'm not saying that you can't match with a 220. You definitely can, and 220 is the highest cut-off range that is publicized, but you can't say that more matched applicants were in the 220s, because it's simply not true.

3) The AAMC "2016" data that they just released is based on the 2015 applicant cycle, which makes them 1st year residents in 2015-16. This data is 2 years ago, while the Charting Outcomes was based on 2016 applicant cycle. Please don't use AAMC data. All the numbers were lower across the board.

4) Lastly, Step 1 IS weighted. It's actually one of the most important factors of where you rank as an applicant. According to the PD survey, Step 1 score was the 2nd most important factor for selecting applicants to interview. It is also the 2nd most objective factor for ranking, after interview scores (interaction w/ faculty, staff, residents, etc) and your SLOE.

I completely understand that many applicants have gotten in with 220s or even 210s. Most EM programs also look at more than your step score, but you can't deny the importance of Step 1. We may also be saying the same thing, but your AAMC data is 2 years old and may not reflect the current stats.

Im gonna go ahead and apologize now for even bothering to post last night - I feel dumb Reading through what I said it I think I was trying to make a point that simply didn't need to be made and (as you pointed out) probably not very accurate.. I was tired/drunk - Should have just gone to bed lol

Im gonna go ahead and apologize now for even bothering to post last night - I feel dumb Reading through what I said it I think I was trying to make a point that simply didn't need to be made and (as you pointed out) probably not very accurate.. I was tired/drunk - Should have just gone to bed lol

Appreciate it brother, although you didn't have to. Interview season has us all tired haha. Good luck on the match bud.

Yes, you can tell them you're going to rank them number 1. What you can't do is ask them where they'll rank you, and they can't ask you where you're ranking them.

Any information can be freely shared, but keep in mind that nothing is binding so many PDs put zero stock in this kind of correspondence.

Do most people hand write these letters more so over emails? Also I have heard many say to let programs know (like number 2 and 3) that you are ranking them high. I don't think I've ever heard it's negative to tell a program you're ranking them high until now.

Stats:
AOA @ Top 25 Med School per US News
Step 1 270s
Step 2 280s
H/H/H on 3 Aways
5 publications, 1 in annals
Paramedic before med school
Doing Research Right Now with faculty member for new chemotherapeutics for cancer
15 apps, 15 invites

10. Kaiser Florida Central or KFC
Very rich training. No fluff. Scheduled curriculum. Residents are a little bit older, and seem to all have facial hair, which is kinda strange but leads to a well seasoned training. Only 1 facility they train in, so limited options, but they seem to really have found their niche. They have an off site hospital a few states away in Nashville that they just contracted, but subpar. Low cost of living.

9. Hardees Health
Pound for pound the most intense program I visited. Lots of sick people, lots of procedures when talking to the residents. Works on a pod system. 4 pods, 3 of them are acute, 1 is fast track. All of the acute pods have at least 1 thoracotomy and 3 intubations a shift. Fast track is reserved for less acute things like septic shock and level 2 traumas. Residents seem to really dig it. A big con is that there is a neighboring program right next door, almost touching this hospital....which leads me to #8

8. Red Burrito Medical Center
All of the med students that arent qualified for Hardees Health go here. That's even what RB's residents told me. Unlike HH, they are a more balanced program. Less acuity but more of the bread and butter stuff that we need to see. They are less esteeemed than HH, but that may not be a bad thing. Truly a hidden gem on the interview trail. It is weird having two adjacent hospital systems, I wonder if they are under the same umbrella, but they attract enough coronoary disease and diabetes to fill their wards. Residents surprisingly like both hospitals, I would expect some rivalry.

7. Brooklyn King or BK
Prides themselves on being a burn center. They even call their trianing "flame broiled" which to me was a little off putting. Very diverse training attracting well to do people, indigent population, as well as young and old. Biggest burn center in the country, which when talking to other programs is a significant weakness. Very established. Kind of juvenile, that they have a crown in the ED that you can wear on your birthday, but patients didnt seem to mind. They are a very cool program in that you can customize your 10 electives in 3 years to truly have it your way....

6. In N Out University
The only 4 year program I interviewed at. Being a East Coast med student, I had only heard about this through of word of mouth, adn never really experienced it. Truly a wild program. Limited options for facilities with only two hospitals in the area, but the main hospital is still very community based. They have a track where you can just by pass the smaller hospital all together, called the "animal style" track. Seems a little too much for me, but all in all a solid program. Residents are pleasant, very friendly. 4 years though? and Having to come all the way out to the West Coast? Knocked it down a bit on my list

5. Chik Fil A Medical Center
Never violates work duty hours. Always gives at least 1 day off a week. The main ED is great, but by far has the best accompanying Fast Track/Minor ED that I been to. The residents were all super nice, but they all were married, and appeared to be very distant from me when I showed up with my dreadlocks and "Ban HB-2: pin on my lapel. One of my favorites, but I dont know how I will mesh with the residents. They do a great job of marketing their hospital with people holding signs on the corner telling them to "Eat Mor Percocet", truly cashing it on the opioid epidemic. Great marketing

4. Wendy's Ward Health
Program Director was a stud. Great guy. Getting old in years, but his daughter is also on faculty, and runs the chest pain observation unit in the ER. She is also nice and will likely take over. Despite being an old guy, constantly bringing new ideas into the program, experimenting with new things, most of them successful. No fellows, no competition for procedures, and the program director states it is because they never want to cut corners on our medical education. The fast track can be a little stale at times, and often soggy, but truly a great program.

3. Taco Bell Birthing Center
By far the best place for Obstetrics training in ED. Ob is something I am terrified about. This medical center births the most brown babies in world. All of the residents deliver babies. They all feel complicated with even the most difficult child births. Hemorrhagic births? Check. Continued contractions even after birth? Check. Prolonged cramping/labor? Check. Last year 6/8 female residents delivered multiple brown babies in the ED bathroom! This is certainly an intense Ob rotation. The training is a little bland. They constantly make improvements but it really is just the same old thing with a different name.

2. Dominoes County
This place is right in my backyard. < 1 hour away from home. Talk about delivering great residency training right to my door step. Cheap cost of living. They even introduced an app for my iphone and android where I can watch lectures, discuss with my chief residents, and even attend my shift and work while at home. Truly a remarkable, next generation program. They are a really aggressive, intesne program, but even for people like myself, who are not as high strung, they have a thinner option where can we spend more time on less acute things. A really savvy program that doesnt compromise its training.

Lastly!

1. Illinois Hospital Of the People (IHOP)
The place I need to be. This hospital is perfect. Has classic light blue scrubs that the residents are very proud of, and all you can intubate month in July. Very wide array of options for training and despite having a reputation for early morning antics, you can get quality patients and training at all hours. Quick, efficent ER, with awesome ancillary staff. Where the 3rd years sit, they have customized mac/miller handles to ensure the most perfect airway efficiency. Im sure there are smaller community hospitals that provide a better quality of patients however, with this being the magnet hosptial for a huge system, you cannot find better quality training, with efficiency, and a name brand that competes with the rest. I need to be here. My stats are not enough to probably get here, but I am hoping.

Good luck to all

Reactions: 17 users
Stats:
AOA @ Top 25 Med School per US News
Step 1 270s
Step 2 280s
H/H/H on 3 Aways
5 publications, 1 in annals
Paramedic before med school
Doing Research Right Now with faculty member for new chemotherapeutics for cancer
15 apps, 15 invites

10. Kaiser Florida Central or KFC
Very rich training. No fluff. Scheduled curriculum. Residents are a little bit older, and seem to all have facial hair, which is kinda strange but leads to a well seasoned training. Only 1 facility they train in, so limited options, but they seem to really have found their niche. They have an off site hospital a few states away in Nashville that they just contracted, but subpar. Low cost of living.

9. Hardees Health
Pound for pound the most intense program I visited. Lots of sick people, lots of procedures when talking to the residents. Works on a pod system. 4 pods, 3 of them are acute, 1 is fast track. All of the acute pods have at least 1 thoracotomy and 3 intubations a shift. Fast track is reserved for less acute things like septic shock and level 2 traumas. Residents seem to really dig it. A big con is that there is a neighboring program right next door, almost touching this hospital....which leads me to #8

8. Red Burrito Medical Center
All of the med students that arent qualified for Hardees Health go here. That's even what RB's residents told me. Unlike HH, they are a more balanced program. Less acuity but more of the bread and butter stuff that we need to see. They are less esteeemed than HH, but that may not be a bad thing. Truly a hidden gem on the interview trail. It is weird having two adjacent hospital systems, I wonder if they are under the same umbrella, but they attract enough coronoary disease and diabetes to fill their wards. Residents surprisingly like both hospitals, I would expect some rivalry.

7. Brooklyn King or BK
Prides themselves on being a burn center. They even call their trianing "flame broiled" which to me was a little off putting. Very diverse training attracting well to do people, indigent population, as well as young and old. Biggest burn center in the country, which when talking to other programs is a significant weakness. Very established. Kind of juvenile, that they have a crown in the ED that you can wear on your birthday, but patients didnt seem to mind. They are a very cool program in that you can customize your 10 electives in 3 years to truly have it your way....

6. In N Out University
The only 4 year program I interviewed at. Being a East Coast med student, I had only heard about this through of word of mouth, adn never really experienced it. Truly a wild program. Limited options for facilities with only two hospitals in the area, but the main hospital is still very community based. They have a track where you can just by pass the smaller hospital all together, called the "animal style" track. Seems a little too much for me, but all in all a solid program. Residents are pleasant, very friendly. 4 years though? and Having to come all the way out to the West Coast? Knocked it down a bit on my list

5. Chik Fil A Medical Center
Never violates work duty hours. Always gives at least 1 day off a week. The main ED is great, but by far has the best accompanying Fast Track/Minor ED that I been to. The residents were all super nice, but they all were married, and appeared to be very distant from me when I showed up with my dreadlocks and "Ban HB-2: pin on my lapel. One of my favorites, but I dont know how I will mesh with the residents. They do a great job of marketing their hospital with people holding signs on the corner telling them to "Eat Mor Percocet", truly cashing it on the opioid epidemic. Great marketing

4. Wendy's Ward Health
Program Director was a stud. Great guy. Getting old in years, but his daughter is also on faculty, and runs the chest pain observation unit in the ER. She is also nice and will likely take over. Despite being an old guy, constantly bringing new ideas into the program, experimenting with new things, most of them successful. No fellows, no competition for procedures, and the program director states it is because they never want to cut corners on our medical education. The fast track can be a little stale at times, and often soggy, but truly a great program.

3. Taco Bell Birthing Center
By far the best place for Obstetrics training in ED. Ob is something I am terrified about. This medical center births the most brown babies in world. All of the residents deliver babies. They all feel complicated with even the most difficult child births. Hemorrhagic births? Check. Continued contractions even after birth? Check. Prolonged cramping/labor? Check. Last year 6/8 female residents delivered multiple brown babies in the ED bathroom! This is certainly an intense Ob rotation. The training is a little bland. They constantly make improvements but it really is just the same old thing with a different name.

2. Dominoes County
This place is right in my backyard. < 1 hour away from home. Talk about delivering great residency training right to my door step. Cheap cost of living. They even introduced an app for my iphone and android where I can watch lectures, discuss with my chief residents, and even attend my shift and work while at home. Truly a remarkable, next generation program. They are a really aggressive, intesne program, but even for people like myself, who are not as high strung, they have a thinner option where can we spend more time on less acute things. A really savvy program that doesnt compromise its training.

Lastly!

1. Illinois Hospital Of the People (IHOP)
The place I need to be. This hospital is perfect. Has classic light blue scrubs that the residents are very proud of, and all you can intubate month in July. Very wide array of options for training and despite having a reputation for early morning antics, you can get quality patients and training at all hours. Quick, efficent ER, with awesome ancillary staff. Where the 3rd years sit, they have customized mac/miller handles to ensure the most perfect airway efficiency. Im sure there are smaller community hospitals that provide a better quality of patients however, with this being the magnet hosptial for a huge system, you cannot find better quality training, with efficiency, and a name brand that competes with the rest. I need to be here. My stats are not enough to probably get here, but I am hoping.

Good luck to all
Lol you took a lot of time for this. Respect.

Do most people hand write these letters more so over emails? Also I have heard many say to let programs know (like number 2 and 3) that you are ranking them high. I don't think I've ever heard it's negative to tell a program you're ranking them high until now.

E-mails are enough.

Will it hurt you to let your 2nd/3rd choices know you're ranking them highly? Probably not. Will it help? Probably not.

The way the PD at my away put it, no one wants to hear that they're 2nd or 3rd fiddle, which is basically what "ranking you highly" is a euphemism for. It's like saying to a girl: "Hey, I'd really like to go to prom with you. I'm planning on asking someone else first, but if it falls through, I'd really like to go with you."

I'm sure many applicants do it and have no issues matching. Just not my style.

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats on the awesome list and thank you for sharing! Just wondering though, is there anything in your application that you think set yourself apart and really appealed to PDs/recruitment committees? I think the answer to that would be especially useful for people with sub-par boards/grades who are trying to make their applications more competitive.
It was most likely the name of his medical school that contributed to the amazing interviews. All of those West coast medical schools look great on a residency roster.

I almost pulled the trigger on an e-mail to my #1 today, but had the same question. Too early?

I emailed a program to tell them they were my #1 back in early December... :shrug:
Though, I do have a particularly strong geographic tie.

It was most likely the name of his medical school that contributed to the amazing interviews. All of those West coast medical schools look great on a residency roster.
Maybe. I would hope that's not the case, but if it is then I definitely picked the wrong place to go to medical school.

I think my low grades really motivated me to work hard on EM rotations, because I knew that was my only shot at raising the chances. I worked my butt off on every shift. I frequently practiced in front of a mirror to improve the "3 minute presentation". I believe my letters helped me tremendously as several interviewers pointed out how strong they were. I SUCK at standardized tests and didn't honor a single one no matter how hard I tried. But hey, this is EM not derm, so if you're a good clinician and team player, work hard to let your letter writers and evals speak for you. Good luck!

Reactions: 4 users
@doggydog note: I appreciate that this poster included the places that he received interviews but declined. I think that is a useful piece of information for future applicants.
Submitted anonymously, via Google Form.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 230s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotations: HP/H
Medical school region: Midwest-ish
Miscellaneous: A few posters/abstracts

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: clinical training, educational opportunities >>>> reputation, location, vibes, pref 3 > 4 year programs slightly

1) OSU - + invested PD with a vision, academic, $$$/resources, didactics, US studs. neutral/- seemed like you will be pushed on your days off to teach medical students ultrasound/SIM/procedures and produce publishable research (not just QI projects or other 'scholarly' work)… I actually view this as a positive FOR ME cuz I want to go into academic medicine

2) Indiana - + volume, faculty, research, COL, county/academic, anything you want they got or will make, electives -seemed like moonlighting wasn't encouraged, regional

3) Advocate - + seemed like an academic-style community setting, residents were sharp and HAPPY, teaching during shifts reported to be outstanding, work life balance, chicago, tied for funnest residents, warm-fuzzies - commute (or this would be my number 1)

4) Cook County - + autonomy, prestige, chicago, tied for funnest residents - low pay, 14 weeks of trauma rotations, floor months, 4 years

5) Yale - + high salary, academic, resources, collaborations with other Yale programs, international medicine, areas of concentration - regimented, 4 years

6) Henry Ford - + autonomy, ICU months - off service galore

7) Metrohealth - + CLE is an easy place to live, will no doubt be prepared for any job, county, flight - no community/freestanding rotations, no orientation month, work a lot, they seemed to be overworked (rather than we like the program BUT we work hard/a lot… residents kept saying we work a lot and the program is fine)

8) Beaumont - + established program, ICU heavy curriculum, I think Royal Oak is a cool suburb with its own stuff to do yet super close to detroit - work a ton of shifts, like 22 10's

9) VCU - (this program should be in my top 5) + #1 PD on the trail, surprisingly academic, decent weather, family friendly - location (Richmond IS A COOL CITY, hipster, artsy, good food and drinks, outdoors… gut = should be way higher, just can't pull the trigger cuz its literally in the middle if nowhere)

10) Hackensack - + invested faculty, one of the friendliest PDs, clearly receptive to resident feedback, proximity to NYC, crazy amount of ED rotations (~80%) - newer program, 12 hour shifts, i couldn't get a read on off-service rotations they said they were fine but kind of weary as only other residency based in the hospital is OBGYN i believe

11) Akron General - + established program, CCF, good work life balance -seemed a little hand holdy, regimented

12) Syracuse - + enthusiastic faculty, get to do a ton of mass gatherings, surprising amount of outdoors - location

13) Stony Brook - + surprisingly academic, got BIG fish in EM so I think this program is headed in the right direction, SICK patients, huge catchment of Long Island, thought the area was beautiful - 12 hour shifts, I did not click with the residents at all and this was a deal breaker

14) Western Michigan - + SIM lab used more than any other place I interviewed, well known APD, family friendly - class too big, weird inefficient sign out, no job opportunities for SO

Other:

Declined interviews: Palmetto, Sinai-Grace, Summa, York PA

Didn't rank Grand Rapids (one high position member of the program leadership rubbed me the wrong way the most unwelcoming interview of season pretty unfriendly, everyone else was nice, most of the faculty trained here, most residents seemed married, city has stuff to do, outdoors), Wright State (I wanted to like this place because everyone was nice, half the residents have military obligations, affiliated with a medical school but didn't seem very academic, they have a huge patient census due to multiple cites but I ultimately I can't see myself being happy in Dayton/Kettering)

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: upper 190s, Step 2: 235
EM rotations: HP/HP/P
Medical school region: West Coast
Miscellaneous: Gold Humanism

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location (originally from midwest), COL

1) SLU - found the residents to be the most down to earth people I met, the PD was a cool dude that does things his own way but really listens to the residents, appreciated the fact that all chiefs there were going into competitive jobs such as southern Cal/academics at Mayo/etc. Cons - st.louis is not the safest/funnest place

2) Stanford - just for the name, not a fan of 4 year programs but would not a bit disappointed saying I came from any stanford residency Cons: 4 years

3) Vanderbilt - the only program I applied to with as many resources as this program was probably stanford but this program is in the midwest near my family so had to rank it high, probably the higest 'ranked' program I have although that is subjective, residents there felt like a family

4) SIU - grandparents live in springfield so gave this program a shot and WOW was i shocked at their sim facility. Better than any other program I applied too. Not just one floor..but a whole building dedicated to sim procedures Cons: absolutely nothing to do in your free time except drink

5) UIP - great little town with great faculity and residents, strong sim center as well however doesn't compare to SIU's, seem to get good pathology, hospital pays for literally everyone and their moms healthcare (no joke), free food for yourself AND FAMILY (never seen that before)Cons: they wear blue coats instead of white coats??

6) UCSF - I received this interview kind of due to relationship to one of the faculty members however think it would be awkward to work with family. Hence I am ranking it low. However if i was not related, this program would likely be #2 over stanford. Both very high cost of living

Rest of list: Oklahoma (newer program fumbling with ACGME accreditation this past year), UT houston (not a fan of the dirty south ;) ), USF - 12 hour shifts and they don't decrease the amount of shifts you do as you progress ??, Maryland - not a fan of shock trauma (surgery does everything so whats the point) + too many 12s, Washington U in STL - good program however too much of a hassle to do 4 years for a lesser known emergency program

@doggydog note: I'm really not a fan of these rank lists that provide no useful information to anyone re: differences in programs.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240, Step 2: 260, Comlex 1: 560, Comlex 2: 710
EM rotations: H/H/H/H
Medical school region: Southeast
Miscellaneous: Class Rank, Boards, Sub I experiences, Strong SLOE's

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: left blank

1) UF - Jacksonville
2) Mount Sinai - Miami
3) USF
4) LSU (they didn't list which one)
5) Mississippi
6) Greenville - SC
7) Aventura - Miami
8) Myrtle Beach - SC

Last edited:
@doggydog note: I'm really not a fan of these rank lists that provide no useful information to anyone re: differences in programs.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 215, Step 2: 225
EM rotations: H, H. Chose EM late, did 2 rotations at hospitals affiliated with my school, no official aways
Medical school region: Tri-state Area
Miscellaneous: EMT prior to med school

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Fit, then location, then 8-10 hr shifts over 12 hrs

1) Hackensack
2) Stony Brook
3) U of Florida, Gainesville
4) Staten Island
5) SUNY Upstate
6) UCF
7) Brooklyn Hospital Center

Last edited:
That west coast bias is real. Geez.
Man, looking at some of these ROL and the stats, you aren't kidding. I had no idea that West Coast med schools gave applicants from them that much of a leg up. I don't even really look at the med schools when reading over an application prior to interviewing.

Reactions: 2 users

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: upper 190s, Step 2: 235
EM rotations: HP/HP/P
Medical school region: West Coast
Miscellaneous: Gold Humanism

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location (originally from midwest), COL

1) SLU - found the residents to be the most down to earth people I met, the PD was a cool dude that does things his own way but really listens to the residents, appreciated the fact that all chiefs there were going into competitive jobs such as southern Cal/academics at Mayo/etc. Cons - st.louis is not the safest/funnest place

2) Stanford - just for the name, not a fan of 4 year programs but would not a bit disappointed saying I came from any stanford residency Cons: 4 years

3) Vanderbilt - the only program I applied to with as many resources as this program was probably stanford but this program is in the midwest near my family so had to rank it high, probably the higest 'ranked' program I have although that is subjective, residents there felt like a family

4) SIU - grandparents live in springfield so gave this program a shot and WOW was i shocked at their sim facility. Better than any other program I applied too. Not just one floor..but a whole building dedicated to sim procedures Cons: absolutely nothing to do in your free time except drink

5) UIP - great little town with great faculity and residents, strong sim center as well however doesn't compare to SIU's, seem to get good pathology, hospital pays for literally everyone and their moms healthcare (no joke), free food for yourself AND FAMILY (never seen that before)Cons: they wear blue coats instead of white coats??

6) UCSF - I received this interview kind of due to relationship to one of the faculty members however think it would be awkward to work with family. Hence I am ranking it low. However if i was not related, this program would likely be #2 over stanford. Both very high cost of living

Rest of list: Oklahoma (newer program fumbling with ACGME accreditation this past year), UT houston (not a fan of the dirty south ;) ), USF - 12 hour shifts and they don't decrease the amount of shifts you do as you progress ??, Maryland - not a fan of shock trauma (surgery does everything so whats the point) + too many 12s, Washington U in STL - good program however too much of a hassle to do 4 years for a lesser known emergency program

Wash U is lesser known program??

Reactions: 3 users

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 202, Step 2: 211
EM rotations: Honors at home institution. High pass at 2 others
Medical school region: Midwest
Miscellaneous: father works for large EM institution in Texas

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: trying to match into EM one way or another with my poor scores.

1) U. of Illinois - Chicago - supposedly the largest network of alumni in the country and I believe it. long standing and old program cons - chicago cost of living in downtown will eat up your paycheck every month with no room to pay back any loans.

2) McClaren Oakland - nice little program out in detroit, fairly unknown however is a long standing program dedicated to teaching residents, large classes made me feel more comfortable about ranking this program as it seems like a lot of scut work Cons = scut work

3) Univ. of Arkansas - great longstanding program that pretty much rules all of arkansas, lot of EMS traffic, lots of dedicated faculty wiling to teaching residents Cons: 12 hour shifts bleh

4) UT - Austin - newer program which is probbaly why I recieved an interview here, nice town in texas that is on the rise, seems like the residents there have not 1 complaint about being there, would enjoy being part of the weather in texas also! Cons : newer program, long ICU hours when you're on ICU (more than usual) and small faculty network list

5) UT - San Antonio - very similar to UT austin in that it is a newer program but on the rise, I appreicated how it was linked to a HUGE medical school with countless students going into EM so there would always be opportunity to teach/be part of EMIG/etc Cons: San Antonio continues to get populated by the day...likely will end up causing traffic of houstons level. gross.

Rest of list: 3 of my list were obviously places i rotated to get an interview there or else it probably wouldn't have happened. rest of list is Chatanooga, UT memphis, SLU, SIU, Baylor Scott/White, UT houston

NRMP is live, everyone.

Good luck to everyone that will be fiddling with their rank list for the next five weeks.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Enjoy and best of luck everyone! Future applicants feel free to PM me with questions.

Applicant Summary:
Steps, 235/251
EM rotations: H/H
Medical school region: Midwest
Miscellaneous: EMS experience prior to med school. 1 EM publication.

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL:
Generally preferred 3 year programs if alumni were spread out across the country (but clearly not a requirement), big and fun city, EMS research/directorship opportunities, significant other must approve of city.

1. Mount Sinai - St. Luke's/Roosevelt
Pros:
Immediate bond with this program from the first moment. Unlike many other NYC programs, I felt that SLR had a supportive and family-like environment as well as the academic and hard-working vibes as well. Really felt like I had found my group of people during the dinner and interview day. All trauma on west side of Manhattan goes to St. Luke’s. Shift schedule was attractive for NYC program: 12’s as intern, 9’s as PGY2-3 (with exception of weekends). Run the department as PGY3. The Mount Sinai EMS program is run from this hospital. Residents go onto fellowships and jobs all over the country, and many at top programs. One graduating resident going to Pitt for critical care in July. Subsidized housing provided. Residents are unionized with great benefits.

Cons:
Trauma isn’t as frequent as people would like, but that’s a Manhattan problem. Must go to Shock Trauma or Camden, NJ for a month to supplement trauma experience.

2. Denver Health
Pros:
Beautiful facilities, sick patients, and fun residents. This group really does work hard and play hard, as advertised by everyone in the program. Time is split between nice tertiary center and county hospital, which provides a nice balance in patient population and pathology. This program leads the way in terms of trauma. Residents go anywhere after they are done. Program has every fellowship but hyperbarics and sim on site. The Denver EMS system is based out of Denver Health, and is one of the best in the country. Denver is a fantastic city with many, many things to do year-round. Other than the shift schedule (see below), I didn’t see why so many people say this program will “work you to the bone”.

Cons:
Four year program. Lots of off service rotations. Wasn’t thrilled about shift schedule (work 6 out of 8 days while on ED months, no two days off in a row unless you shift swap), but not a deal breaker for me at all especially considering the shifts are only 8 hours. Haven’t ever been skiing before and seems like everyone here does for the most part. They do have a shared house in the mountains though!

3. BMC
Pros:
IMO, the best patient population in Boston. Mix of very sick and underserved patients, with the resources that come with BU and BMC. King of trauma in Boston. Boston EMS based out of here and strong emphasis on EMS compared to other programs that just do the mandatory two weeks. Residents a cool group. Liked the idea of procedure year during PGY2 which leads to running a side of the department during PGY3. Residents are unionized and have good salary, healthcare, as well as access to an interest free loan to get settled in Boston (most rentals require 2 mo of rent, security deposit, and realtor fee up front).

Cons:
Four year program. Boston is hella cold. Housing is expensive and not provided.

4. Methodist Hospital
Pros:
Three year program. I was pleasantly surprised by the acuity/ICU admission numbers of the ED here and how busy it was, considering the higher end location in Park Slope. Residents a very down to earth and relaxed bunch. While not the most well known program in NYC, many residents choose to be there over other places. The residency faculty have almost all been there since the programs beginning over 15 years ago and seem to really listen to resident concerns and ideas continuously. Level II trauma center with approx. 15-20 level I activations per month, but the trauma experience is intensified by multiple rotations at Brookdale Hospital, which is apparently the ****show of all ****shows when it comes to violent traumas in NYC. High salary, starting at 62k last year, almost 70k by PGY3. Park Slope is a VERY cool neighborhood and you get more for your money here than in Manhattan. The chair of department is heavily involved in FDNY EMS, and Methodist is the only other online medical direction for FDNY in NYC other than the FDNY internal command enter. Hospital was recently acquired by NY Presbyterian, and is now called NY Presbyterian Brooklyn Methodist Hospital.

Cons:
Not as many academic resources as other NYC programs. However, alum seem to be spread throughout the country, including big places like Hennepin and Denver. The simulation room is tiny as others say, and I really don’t care.

5. Advocate Christ
Pros:
Three year program. Heavy volume of trauma and sick patients. These residents see it all in high doses. Had good connection with PD and residents. Residents go all over the country afterwards. Also had dank food during interview day.

Cons:
Location is somewhat far from Chicago, though most residents commute. EMS division isn’t quite high level yet, but according to a few residents and faculty it is getting there.

6. Hennepin
Pros:
To be honest, this was one of my favorite programs, but S.O. and I don’t want to live in Minneapolis. Three year program and you come out on the other side of PGY3 after running one of the most well run ED’s in the country for 11 months. Great resources for county program. Very clear work hard play hard environment, and residents are very cool bunch. Hospital administration is made up of mostly EM docs so what the ED wants it gets. Pit boss year prepares you for anything, anywhere. Hennepin County EMS based out of here, and is another top system in the country.

Cons:
Not fully thrilled about the graduated responsibility here, where you get very little procedure experience until mid second year, but it all pays off when you get to PGY3. Would rank higher, just don’t want to live in Minnesota.

7. Regions
Pros:
Another favorite that isn't in great location for us. Three year program. Good and sick patient population. Another hospital with great resources. Procedures load from day one. PD is friendliest dude ever. Residents also very welcoming and chill. More of a family vibe than Hennepin. Family style pre-interview dinner at a resident’s house. Great EMS program here as well. The residency program keeps track of your stats (patient time to doc, dispo stats, etc) to show to employers when you graduate. ED residents have own ICU team.

Cons:
Trauma procedures given to surgery on alternating days. St. Paul < Minneapolis, but you can commute. Most residents stay within region.

8. Hopkins
Pros:
Great facilities and resources with the Hopkins name. Gets the majority of the trauma that stems from Baltimore violence, and residents also rotate at Shock Trauma to see the trauma that is flown in from other parts of the state. Off service rotations here seem to be very rich, as opposed to just another box to check off for graduation. The chair is very charismatic and clearly enjoys his job. Had great interviews here. EMS fellowship on site. Baltimore is a cheap east coast city.

Cons:
4 year program. Not as exciting as NYC or Boston for me or spouse.

9. King's County/ SUNY Downstate
Pros:
Some of the sickest NYC patients, and more trauma than you could ever want. Very diverse and friendly group of residents and faculty who somehow didn’t seemed burnt out. Dinner the night before was very fun. Graduates go anywhere afterwards.

Cons:
4 year program. As much as I hate to say it, this program seemed too county for me. Facilities a bit run down. Hard off service rotations. Not great EMS opportunities. No housing provided. Could probably handle three years here, not four.

Others:
Mount Sinai, Lincoln, JPS

Removed upon request of anonymous poster.

Last edited:
Patagonia Better Sweater or go home.

Too hot to work in. MMC gets nice LL Bean ones every year. It's also expected that you work in them, which is a nice bonus.

Applicant Summary:
Step 1: 240s, Step 2: 260s
EM rotations: H/ P (aways are P/F through my school, apparently great SLOE though)
Medical school region: Tri-state
Miscellaneous: Some EMIG leadership, one research project

Main Considerations in Creating this ROL: Location is king due to family (only interviewed around NY), then fit, then 3>4

1) SLR - I don't feel the need to say much about this program. Its reputation proceeds it. Residents are super happy and treated well. Also get great education and graduates go everywhere. 3 year. Would be very happy ending up here. Only negative I can think of is residents seem TOO happy. Kinda freaked me out at times. I think I'm just being paranoid.

2) Hackensack - my dark horse candidate from the get go. Really impressed me on interview day as being responsive to their residents and trying to improve constantly. ED is beautiful, lots of resources. Residents are happy, work mostly 8s+9s with 1/3 of shifts being 12s (rare find near NYC, this is a big plus for me). Are going to be involved with new med school being started by the Hospital, which I think is cool. PD really cool and felt like I connected with all the program leadership. Thought long and hard about putting this number 1 and still might but decided not to due to newness of program and possibly not as strong off service + almuni connections as SLR.

3) Mt Sinai - The surprise of the interview trail for me. Known as research heavy, which is not a big emphasis for me but I really liked the PD and the resident culture. They seem to work hard but enjoy their time, especially at Elmhurst. Very collegial atmosphere. Cons are unavoidable commute - you're either far from Elmhurst or far from Mt. Sinai so kind of inescapable, and being more academic focused then I want.

4) Northwell - Really liked leadership here. They seem to be really focused on staying cutting edge and tailoring their residency to each individual resident, which impressed me. Two hospitals are very close to each other but see very different populations, which is convenient and useful. Are in the midst of a merger, which is the biggest downside for me as I think this upcoming class will be a bit of a guinea pig class. Also farther commute for myself and my fiancé.

5) Methodist - 3 year in Park slope. I don't have very strong feelings either way for this program but it's in a great location for me and seems like you would get solid training. Residents were hit and miss for me and I didn't like the PD very much.

6) Lincoln - No question you leave here as a badass. That said, I don't particularly want to train or work in a county setting so didn't appeal too much to me.

7) Metropolitan
8) NYP Queens
9) Montefiore
10) Maimonides
11) Brookdale

Does anyone who interviewed at BUMC more recently know if they were going to able to increase their class size for our class?

Does anyone who interviewed at BUMC more recently know if they were going to able to increase their class size for our class?

They still weren't 100% sure as of a couple weeks ago. My impression was that it seemed more likely for next year.

Does anyone remember how the moonlighting situation was at Emory?

Does anyone remember how the moonlighting situation was at Emory?

There's some internal moonlighting in the psych ED and some other community opportunities but it didn't seem like a ton of people do it.

There's some internal moonlighting in the psych ED and some other community opportunities but it didn't seem like a ton of people do it.
Current Emory resident here. Not sure about the psych ED, I don't believe there are currently any opportunities to do that. However, many of the residents (after passing step 3) will moonlight in the sickle cell ER, the urgent care zone, or in one of the main zones of the ED in the "advanced practice provider" role. Plenty of opportunity and hours available if you want them with good pay.

Did everyone get a snail mail "we liked you" letter from University of Chicago?

Mine said "the committee agrees you will be a most welcome addition to our program".

Standard template?
My letter said I was no longer allowed in the city of Chicago. Probably a form letter.

Reactions: 8 users
I know there are a large amount of people that peruse this forum without contributing at all to the content. I hope that you will at least submit an anonymous rank list at some point in the next few months. I promise, PDs aren't scouring these threads to figure out who you, specifically, are.

Please help to make this process more clear for future applicants.

Reactions: 5 users