[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody had any luck off the MMC waitlist?

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you seeing waitlist movement at this stage in the process, is it out of the blue or is it after having expressed continued interest (e.g. via email or call)? I'm sure it varies I'm just curious.

1 out of the blue from a silent waitlist, 1 after expressing interest (read: who knows and this is probably a crapshoot)

Reactions: 1 user
As the season gets later and later the conversation among applicants at interviews becomes weirder and weirder.

Glad I'm not the only one to notice this. I think everyone is getting more relaxed/tired. Residents have also engaged in a lot of these more... open conversations too

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this has been asked before but are we supposed to go through ERAS to assign programs our Step 2 CK/CS scores or does that happen automatically? I see an option in ERAS to resend scores but I don't want to do that if it just pulls some already uploaded USMLE transcript that just has my Step 1.

Sorry if this has been asked before but are we supposed to go through ERAS to assign programs our Step 2 CK/CS scores or does that happen automatically? I see an option in ERAS to resend scores but I don't want to do that if it just pulls some already uploaded USMLE transcript that just has my Step 1.

You have to resend those scores if there have been new Step 2 CK/CS scores that you got after your initial submission

Ahhhhh. My personal opinion (take that for what it's worth, which may not be much haha) is to go on your trip. There aren't many programs that interview in February. I just don't see much likelihood in it. Hopefully they'll be some movement on the waitlist this month so that you feel a little better about your numbers. Also, not to jinx anything but even with just 5 interviews, you've got a very good shot at matching at one of those five places. So enjoy you trip!
Thanks for the encouragement. I have 8 ranks, so that's a little better!

Anyone hear from either St John Riverside or Rush yet?

Hello all,
I'm the associate program director at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage California. We are a new program starting in June 2017. We have a great location in Southern California, a large busy community hospital, with affiliations and away rotations at UCSD Hillcrest, Rady Children's Hospital, and El Centro Regional Medical Center. We had hoped to be accredited by now, but we did not get our application and ACGME site visit done in time in order to be reviewed at the recent RRC meetng last week. We are on the agenda to be reviewed by We hope to gain ACGME accreditation in April 2017. Since our accreditation will occur after the match is over, we will not be able to participate in NRMP. If any of you are not participating in NRMP, or if you remained unmatched after the main match and SOAP, then please consider our program. If you would like more information, contact our GME office at [email protected]. I intend to update our website as soon as I can, it is somewhat out of date at this time: https://www.emc.org/gme/emergency-medicine/
Thanks for your consideration, Matthias Barden, MD

Do we need to contact our #1 to say we are ranking them highly?

Thanks! The EM advisor told me one girl from my school interviewed at Riverside. As far as he knows, no one from my school has heard from Rush.

I'm interviewing at both. Riverside is through ERAS scheduler, and I only saw one date, so not sure how many they have. When I got Rush (several hours after it was posted on here), they were full all but one day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who else is having trouble deciding on a rank list? am I over thinking this?

Who else is having trouble deciding on a rank list? am I over thinking this?
Making a pretty detailed pros/cons list, like people are doing in the ROL thread, really helped me organize my thoughts and find significant distinctions between programs I thought were pretty even.

But yes, we are all overthinking this.

Making a pretty detailed pros/cons list, like people are doing in the ROL thread, really helped me organize my thoughts and find significant distinctions between programs I thought were pretty even.

But yes, we are all overthinking this.

I wish I had taken some notes during this entire process...
I know my #1 and the middle to end of my list. No idea where to rank #2-7 and keep switching them around... this sucks

I've got my top 5 or 6 pretty well sorted and then my bottom 3 or 4 are easy too. The problem for me is ranks 7-10/11.

If I end up at one of them, I'm going to kick myself for not having given it more thought.
And, if you put up a rank list with "alphabetical" or "no particular" order for those 7-11, and match at one of them, I WILL make fun of you!

My current ranking method involves some combination of proximity to tropical weather and free food. No need for mockery just yet!

Same for me. My 5-10 is coming down to perks like salary, free food, benefits, free parking, moonlighting...I wouldn't be thrilled about any of my 5-10 and the training is roughly equivalent between them.

Trying to clear up some confusion...

Conversations about rank lists and differences between different programs should be able to go on the ROL thread.

Everything else should be here.

Reactions: 1 users
My top 3 programs are the bay area programs. I loved them all pretty equally but I recognize they are pretty different. They are all great, but I honestly can't choose where to send my #1 email thing to. UCSF has coolest location, better shift hours, and best use of the 4th year, Stanford has the most resources and flexibility for research projects and international Medicine, and Highland has the residents I clicked with the most and the most intense training given it's primarily a county program. Any insight on any of these programs would be appreciated since I did not rotate at any of these.

Last edited:
My top 3 programs are the bay area programs. I loved them all pretty equally but I recognize they are pretty different. They are all great, but I honestly can't choose where to send my #1 email thing to. UCSF has coolest location, better shift hours, and best use of the 4th year, Stanford has the most resources and flexibility for research projects and international Medicine, and Highland has the residents I clicked with the most and the most intense training given it's primarily a county program. Maybe I'm just stressing for no reason and I'll end up matching at neither of these, but I feel my window time to send that #1 email is closing quickly and I can't decide. Any insight on any of these programs would be appreciated since I did not rotate at any of these.

Keep in mind that each class has its own personality.

You're correct in that you'll encounter a lot of these same residents during your 4 years... but if those other 2 programs had "still good, but not as great click" residents -- I wouldn't weigh it super heavy.

I personally preferred Highland over Stanford, and I didn't interview at UCSF. It was mainly the residents and amazing training that got me excited about the program. Stanford was also awesome in terms of global health which I'm passionate about. Both those programs are older, and more established, than UCSF.

My top 3 programs are the bay area programs. I loved them all pretty equally but I recognize they are pretty different. They are all great, but I honestly can't choose where to send my #1 email thing to. UCSF has coolest location, better shift hours, and best use of the 4th year, Stanford has the most resources and flexibility for research projects and international Medicine, and Highland has the residents I clicked with the most and the most intense training given it's primarily a county program. Maybe I'm just stressing for no reason and I'll end up matching at neither of these, but I feel my window time to send that #1 email is closing quickly and I can't decide. Any insight on any of these programs would be appreciated since I did not rotate at any of these.

Any reason not to upload a CS score before programs rank? Do they care how you did beyond the fact that you passed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Any reason not to upload a CS score before programs rank? Do they care how you did beyond the fact that you passed?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
You need to upload it asap. In fact, there are programs that won't rank you if you haven't passed CS.

Reactions: 3 users
Did everyone who interviewed at WashU get a personalized handwritten postcard in the mail? Wonder if I should feel special or this was standard for everyone.

Did everyone who interviewed at WashU get a personalized handwritten postcard in the mail? Wonder if I should feel special or this was standard for everyone.
I got one from a friend of mine in the program.

I got one but a friend on mine who interviewed there did not.

Got a thank you video from Northwell, but I think everyone got that.

I'm thinking about sending a love letter to my one and only. The current PD is stepping down and one of the APDs will be the new PD next year. Should I send my email to the current PD or the forthcoming PD or both? Or should I just send it to the PC and hope it'll end up in the right hands?

I'm thinking about sending a love letter to my one and only. The current PD is stepping down and one of the APDs will be the new PD next year. Should I send my email to the current PD or the forthcoming PD or both? Or should I just send it to the PC and hope it'll end up in the right hands?
I was in a similar situation with sending my #1 email, and I just sent it to both of them! I was definitely stressing over that as well, (Should I send it only to one? Send it to the current PD but cc next year's PD? Too many options!), so I just decided to put the email addresses for both the current PD and next year's PD in the 'to' field.

Last edited:
Did everyone who interviewed at denver get a home visit from the residency leadership? Wonder if I should feel special or this was standard for everyone. My mom had to make so many sandwiches.

Reactions: 20 users
Hi All. Did anyone get a specific "we are ranking you to match?" I got a generic "good luck to you" from my #1 (after telling they were my #1) and "we think you would fit in well" from my "ranking you highly" emails. I'm wondering if PD's tell you that you are ranking to match in EM?

Hi All. Did anyone get a specific "we are ranking you to match?" I got a generic "good luck to you" from my #1 (after telling they were my #1) and "we think you would fit in well" from my "ranking you highly" emails. I'm wondering if PD's tell you that you are ranking to match in EM?
No.

The consensus is that these don't matter. Many people do/don't get them. Just rank accordingly and see what happens.

For others, please don't beat the horse anymore..it's really dead.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

The consensus is that these don't matter. Many people do/don't get them. Just rank accordingly and see what happens.

For others, please don't beat the horse anymore..it's really dead.

:beat:

Did anyone email the Baylor PD a #1 love letter and hear back? I haven't :/
Guys and gals, I don't mean to sound insensitive, but what is the purpose of questions like this? Is it going to help your anxiety to hear that no one on SDN has heard back? Does that really change anything?
Rank lists are due next week. The part of this process that we had any control over is done. Please, go work out, go drink, go do something, anything, other than speculate about what emails (or lack there of) from programs mean. Things will work out just fine.

Reactions: 8 users
Moving a conversation from ROL thread to here..

Why not a similar system for interviews as we do for match? We make a list in order of where we would like to interview, the programs make lists of who they want to interview, and then you get "matched" to a designated number of interviews, i.e. 12-15. In this system, people get the interviews they really care about and programs get people who want to be there...

The snag is couples match and I haven't come up with a solution for that yet..

Why not a similar system for interviews as we do for match? We make a list in order of where we would like to interview, the programs make lists of who they want to interview, and then you get "matched" to a designated number of interviews, i.e. 12-15. In this system, people get the interviews they really care about and programs get people who want to be there...

But then what if people cancel interviews? Hold a second match? The interview process is too dynamic to control like this.

That makes sense but I don't see any significant changes coming down the pipe until we start seeing more than 1-2 unfilled EM slots per year. Maybe with all the new programs that will be sooner rather than later. All the PDs talk about how they are dynamic agents of change, but the reality is they are administrators and most won't take risks unless a metric they answer for is threatened. Applicant stress or system fairness aren't one of those metrics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But then what if people cancel interviews? Hold a second match? The interview process is too dynamic to control like this.

Then it just automatically goes to the next person on the list, they can accept or reject and continue in that way until someone takes it.