[2016-2017] Emergency Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Interesting too that there is an unprecedented increase in the number of applicants this year and not just applications per applicant. The speculation is true that this is one of the most competitive years for EM as I doubt there is a corresponding increase in the number of new spots available.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello. Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage, California is starting an Emergency Medicine Program in 2017. The inaugural class will be 6 residents. We are not on ERAS yet as this is a reactively new development (it was originally intended to be starting in 2018). I am at ACEP16 and if anyone would like to talk to me in person about the program, please get in contact. I was not able to make it to the EMRA residency fair. ([email protected])
UPDATE re: Eisenhower Medical Center's new EM program:
We are very excited to be starting our new emergency medicine residency program at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage California. We are in a very unique situation in regards to the initial class of this program. As a result of the rules regarding ongoing medicare funding of the program we need to start our program during this cycle beginning in July 2017 (our initial plan was 2018). We are in the process of seeking ACGME accreditation, which is expected in April of 2017. Given this aggressive timeline, we will not be participating in the ERAS National Residency Match Program. We do anticipate building a competitive program and will be recruiting outside of the match to fill our initial class. Our website is: http://www.emc.org/gme/emergency-medicine/
Please contact us using the following email: [email protected]

UPDATE re: Eisenhower Medical Center's new EM program:
We are very excited to be starting our new emergency medicine residency program at Eisenhower Medical Center in Rancho Mirage California. We are in a very unique situation in regards to the initial class of this program. As a result of the rules regarding ongoing medicare funding of the program we need to start our program during this cycle beginning in July 2017 (our initial plan was 2018). We are in the process of seeking ACGME accreditation, which is expected in April of 2017. Given this aggressive timeline, we will not be participating in the ERAS National Residency Match Program. We do anticipate building a competitive program and will be recruiting outside of the match to fill our initial class. Our website is: http://www.emc.org/gme/emergency-medicine/
Please contact us using the following email: [email protected]

If you aren't participating in the match, would it be a match violation for us to apply (until after the soap)?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For the programs that we haven't heard from (majority for me), at what point should we consider contacting them? It'd be nice to know where I stand by now.

Interesting too that there is an unprecedented increase in the number of applicants this year and not just applications per applicant. The speculation is true that this is one of the most competitive years for EM as I doubt there is a corresponding increase in the number of new spots available.

You can say this for almost every specialty. Most numbers have increased as well for other specialties, likely due to the increase in medical students every year.

Reactions: 1 users
You can say this for almost every specialty. Most numbers have increased as well for other specialties, likely due to the increase in medical students every year.

Did you even read that excel spreadsheet? Only EM had a drastic increase in competitiveness - other specialties only saw a mild increase in apps.

According to Charting the Outcomes in 2016 - there are only 1895 EM positions offered, and this year there are 2709 applicants (per that spreadsheet) - the match rate will now fall to 65%??

If you aren't participating in the match, would it be a match violation for us to apply (until after the soap)?

W

It's not illegal to email them to ask how their application process works right?

W

It's not illegal to email them to ask how their application process works right?

I'm not exactly an expert, but I don't believe so. The wording on the NRMP site is kind of vague though, might be a better q for a program director who deals with this more often.

According to Charting the Outcomes in 2016 - there are only 1895 EM positions offered, and this year there are 2709 applicants (per that spreadsheet) - the match rate will now fall to 65%??

There's a difference of around 200 applicants between the number on that sheet from the 2016 data on charting the outcomes (~2200 applicants in CO, ~2400 on it). My guess is that it includes a few hundred people who are double dipping, both those treating EM as a safety and those treating it as a reach (dual applying ortho or gen surg with EM back up, or dual applying EM reach and FM back up, etc).

Alternatively, it could be partially explained by people from combined programs applying to both: there are 120 or so EM/Im applicants and 70 or so EM/FM applicants (those are both way higher than I thought they were).

In any case, I doubt we turned into plastic surgery overnight

There's a difference of around 200 applicants between the number on that sheet from the 2016 data on charting the outcomes (~2200 applicants in CO, ~2400 on it). My guess is that it includes a few hundred people who are double dipping, both those treating EM as a safety and those treating it as a reach (dual applying ortho or gen surg with EM back up, or dual applying EM reach and FM back up, etc).

Alternatively, it could be partially explained by people from combined programs applying to both: there are 120 or so EM/Im applicants and 70 or so EM/FM applicants (those are both way higher than I thought they were).

In any case, I doubt we turned into plastic surgery overnight

Even subtracting 200 applicants, there would be over 2500 applicants vying for 1850 residency positions - a potential match rate of 70% at best.

Did you even read that excel spreadsheet? Only EM had a drastic increase in competitiveness - other specialties only saw a mild increase in apps.

Don't be a dick if you didn't read the actual spreadsheet yourself.

Most specialties received an increase in apps this year. Here are the ones that had a "drastic increase in competitiveness":

Psych: 9.7% increase
EM: 10.2%
Surgery: 11.2%
FM: 13.3%
Plastic (integrated): 14.1%
Rads: 19.3%
PM&R: 27.2%
Plastics (trad): 500% [yes, 500%; from 24 to 120, after decreasing each of the past few years]

Please don't have EM-only goggles on. Almost all specialties are getting more competitive, although some more than others.

Members don't see this ad :)
In addition to what was stated above, the 2709 applicants counts all comers, including IMG applicants. Look at the far right column which shows the number of US seniors applying per position. Ortho, Rad-onc, ent, plastics, derm etc all have more US seniors applying than there are spots. Almost every other field is <1.

This is why the match rate into EM when I applied was something like 97% for AMGs with a step 1 score in the 240s, and 25% for IMGs.

If you're an AMG, you're probably going to be fine. If you're an IMG, you (hopefully) already know what an uphill battle you have ahead of you.

the 2709 apps are for US & Canadian applicants, the IMG applicants are another 600 or so.

Anybody interview at Northwell-Long Island yet? If so, how did it go, what did you think about the program? There isn't much info out there.

Haven't heard anything in almost two weeks. Are we in the trickle portion of invites now?

Haven't heard anything in almost two weeks. Are we in the trickle portion of invites now?

Same. Nothing (positive) since last Monday, and nothing else good another week before that. Still crossing my fingers for another few interviews before the season is over, but I have no idea what to expect! I'm also pretending the posts in this thread over the last 24 hours or so don't exist.

Trickle sucks!

Same. Nothing (positive) since last Monday, and nothing else good another week before that. Still crossing my fingers for another few interviews before the season is over, but I have no idea what to expect! I'm also pretending the posts in this thread over the last 24 hours or so don't exist.

Trickle sucks!

According to the 2016 program directors survey 32% of interview invitations are extended in NOV and on… so while I am with every one else on feeling uncomfortable… that still leaves a fair amount of action left!

Invites are still coming in. People are likely updating less as they get busier. Einstein in Philadelphia sent out today.

Anybody interview at Northwell-Long Island yet? If so, how did it go, what did you think about the program? There isn't much info out there.

I did. It's a new program that combines two well-established programs. Northwell is a huge and growing health system. Everyone was nice and the residents seemed pretty happy. The administration also seemed very receptive to feedback from residents which I think is important. I think you'd get a good mix of patients and experience between the two main hospitals (LIJ and Northshore Manhasset), plus the the month of shock trauma in Baltimore. They also have some cool opportunities for their community elective (i.e. a freestanding ED in the West Village, among others). Their salary is one of the highest in the country (although you have to factor in a high cost of living depending on where you live). Residents and attendings live in Manhattan, Brooklyn, Queens, and LI. LIJ is literally on the border of queens and Nassau County. They also said that on campus housing for residents was incredibly reasonable. I know that they offer a lot of fellowships there as well.

After I cardioverted myself I looked into some additional data
I offer my “glass full” interpretation.

1st the number of EM positions offered has risen 6.7-6.9% each year since 2012 so we might expect the number of positions this year to be around 2021

2nd the NRMP match data not correlate well with the ERAS data. For example: in last year’s cycle ERAS reports 2078 US MDs and 693 DO applied to EM but NRMP reports 1693 US MD and 290 DO applicants. So it appears that 81% of the US MD ERAS applicants actually applied to EM in the match and only 41% of the DO applicants. Since DO applicants made up roughly 23% of the ERAS applications we can make the following calculation:

ERAS: 2709 applicants (taken from the posted excel sheet), if 23% are DO then 2086 MD and 623 DO applicants
NRMP Match: 81% of ERAS MD 1686, 41% of ERAS DO 255 for a total of 1941 US applicants

This means the number of expected positions 2021 is greater than the number of US applicants 1941 in the match. Last year 1895 positions for 1983 US applicants.

Data taken from ERAS table c-3, table c-4, results and data 2016 match, charting outcomes in the match U.S osteopathic medical students 2016, charting outcomes in the match U.S. allopathic medical students 2016

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I've gotten 5 rejections in the past two weeks- no invitations. I feel kind of demoralized.

How are DO's doing with interviews?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

4 interviews where I rotated, 4 EM interviews at other places. Most recent invite last Wednesday. 4 IM interviews that will hopefully be cancelled as the EM invites come in. Plenty of Rejections. Applied to 78 EM programs, all ACGME.

Step 1: 230s
Step 2: 250s

Last edited:

9 ACGME interviews (3 from places I rotated) so far. Also have a couple AOA interviews which I may end up cancelling. I applied to 49 ACGME and 10 AOA programs. I applied to a mix of competitive and non-competitive programs. Step 1 and 2 high 240s.

7 interviews, 4 at places I rotated, 5 rejections
Applied to 45 programs. No osteopathic programs
Waiting on 30+

Ok reading this thread has me freaking out for sure. I took a research year but going into EM.

I have a ~250 step 1, not taken step 2, 5 HP/2 P for grades. Seeing all the people with better apps than me getting so few interviews is making me terrified. ****

Ok reading this thread has me freaking out for sure. I took a research year but going into EM.

I have a ~250 step 1, not taken step 2, 5 HP/2 P for grades. Seeing all the people with better apps than me getting so few interviews is making me terrified. ****

Take step 2 before application season. Do well on aways.

And you will be fine.

Take step 2 before application season. Do well on aways.

And you will be fine.

Do you think doing well on aways will make up for my clinical grades? I'm just worried considering I didn't get a single honors in 3rd year that I can suddenly start to do it during my aways.

And yeah I will probably do step 2 early, considering that and step 1 are the only good parts of my application.

Do you think doing well on aways will make up for my clinical grades? I'm just worried considering I didn't get a single honors in 3rd year that I can suddenly start to do it during my aways.

And yeah I will probably do step 2 early, considering that and step 1 are the only good parts of my application.

No Honors on my 3rd year rotations, a Pass on my 4th year home EM rotation, TBD on my 4th year away EM rotation. Much lower step score than you. I'm not doing fantastically, but I *technically* have enough interviews to match (based on 2016 charting outcomes) if you count home and away interviews. I'm not comfortable, but I think you'll probably be in a better position than I am a year from now :)

Also, I'm not so sure about RG3 for President...

ETA: I don't know what your goals are for the match, but mine are to match, period. If you're asking whether you're in trouble in terms of landing your dream residency, well, I have no idea about that :)

No Honors on my 3rd year rotations, a Pass on my 4th year home EM rotation, TBD on my 4th year away EM rotation. Much lower step score than you. I'm not doing fantastically, but I *technically* have enough interviews to match (based on 2016 charting outcomes) if you count home and away interviews. I'm not comfortable, but I think you'll probably be in a better position than I am a year from now :)

Also, I'm not so sure about RG3 for President...

ETA: I don't know what your goals are for the match, but mine are to match, period. If you're asking whether you're in trouble in terms of landing your dream residency, well, I have no idea about that :)

Hey thanks for the reply with info. I really appreciate it, and thank you for calming my nerves a little lol. Honestly, I just want to match on the east coast, and really almost anywhere on the east coast.

And yeah I made the account when RG3 was still decent...

Hey thanks for the reply with info. I really appreciate it, and thank you for calming my nerves a little lol. Honestly, I just want to match on the east coast, and really almost anywhere on the east coast.

And yeah I made the account when RG3 was still decent...

Another data point for you.

I apparently applied to less programs than the average, had very similar scores and grades to you, did not take step 2 ck early (at all), and I have enough interviews to offer a ~95% match rate, which I think is fine for this point in the cycle. I wish I had more honors, an even higher step score, or a great step 2 score back before interviews, but honestly I am doing fine.

Take step 2 early if you think it will help you, but don't feel compelled to do so. It's not totally necessary yet, although it may become more so in the future as the app pool becomes exponentially more crazy/anxious.

What is probably more important than that for interview numbers is what region you apply and what kind of programs you apply to.

I took CK 10/21 (this Friday it will be two weeks). You guys know around how long it's taking for them to get scores back these days? No CK is probably majorly affecting my ii's

Sorry if this isnt the thread for this, but anyone have a UT Southwestern ii they want to swap for my Nov 15th date? PM me.

Anyone with an interview at Jackson Memorial that would like to swap an interview date let me know. I currently am booked for the 15th but would like to go later in the month or December.

when you finally get an interview and then log on to see that there are no dates open... :scared:
ERAS is not even letting me sign up for a waitlist spot +pity+

when you finally get an interview and then log on to see that there are no dates open... :scared:
ERAS is not even letting me sign up for a waitlist spot +pity+

Is that typical? How can they offer you an interview if there aren't any spots open?

Is that typical? How can they offer you an interview if there aren't any spots open?

From what i have heard, it is quite common for schools to send out more invites than interview spots available... helps ensure that no interview spot goes unfilled. All you can really do is watch ERAS like a hawk to see whats going on and try to pick up something that opens up. Sucks cause ERAS does not auto-schedule you for a spot if you are signed up for a waitlist and a spot opens up or allow you to set alerts for multiple days. Worst. scheduler. ever.

I am sitting here with 50 applications out, 10 rejections, and zero interview invites (two of my aways interviewed me while I was there, so I guess they count). Steps 1 & 2 both 240s, aways H/H/HP. Added a few lower-tier programs a couple of weeks ago.

Had my advisor review my app and SLOEs and was told "I don't understand why you aren't getting interviews. No red flags in your app. You are an average candidate."

Soooo....is "you are an average candidate" code for "Think about another specialty" or "Hang in there and wait - we've already invited the superstars, and are working our way through the rest of the apps" ?

I know it's just early November and interviews go through January/February but still. . . .

I am sitting here with 50 applications out, 10 rejections, and zero interview invites (two of my aways interviewed me while I was there, so I guess they count). Steps 1 & 2 both 240s, aways H/H/HP. Added a few lower-tier programs a couple of weeks ago.

Had my advisor review my app and SLOEs and was told "I don't understand why you aren't getting interviews. No red flags in your app. You are an average candidate."

Soooo....is "you are an average candidate" code for "Think about another specialty" or "Hang in there and wait - we've already invited the superstars, and are working our way through the rest of the apps" ?

I know it's just early November and interviews go through January/February but still. . . .

You are definitely an ABOVE average candidate in terms of the 2 most important criteria - Step scores and SLOE.

Did you apply late? Any professionalism issues?

Last week I called over 20 programs I haven't heard from yet and a lot of them told me they have already filled all of their interview dates and it was very unexpected this early. They would review additional applications in the pile once more people dropped dates and spots open up. I feel like there is going to be a slow trickle of invites over the next 2 months until those with 30+ invites are satisfied with what they have.

Last week I called over 20 programs I haven't heard from yet and a lot of them told me they have already filled all of their interview dates and it was very unexpected this early. They would review additional applications in the pile once more people dropped dates and spots open up. I feel like there is going to be a slow trickle of invites over the next 2 months until those with 30+ invites are satisfied with what they have.

I don't think this is entirely true. I received 7 invites in the past week (originally had 3).

What? There has to be something else going on here. Red flag somewhere? Also, it doesn't really make sense that you got H/H/HP on aways, the scores that you mentioned and yet are described as "an average candidate." You have to have something negative in your SLOEs to bring you from upper tier to middle of the road.

This is, of course, all wild speculation. Unless you know something that you didn't mention.

Hey all I have a question regarding SLOE's with a little backdrop first.
I have 2 SLOE right now, HP/P. The P was a huge surprise because I received nothing but great feedback from attendings/residents and some even said they would like me there. I think it was maybe because I scored average on the SAEM test and maybe didn't receive a great grade on my case presentation (just a guess), but in reality I have no idea why I received the grade. I have had a couple interviews also and they said there is nothing but great comments about me in my letters. I consider myself a pretty competitive applicant on paper (step1 =250-260 step2= 245-255, comlex 1/2 >670, lots of research, all honors 3rd year, interesting extracurriculars, etc.) yet have barely had any love from programs. (4 ACGME/3 AOA)

I am a DO student, which I thought was a contributing problem, yet I know people in my class that I am way more competitive on paper and have double the amount of ACGME interview invites from competitive programs.
From what limited feedback I have gotten regarding my LOR's, it seems the content of my SLOE's are fine but the overall grade of them is holding me back. Do programs screen just based off of the the H/HP/P? or do they actually take the time to read all of them even if they are subpar grades?

I have 2 SLOE right now, HP/P. The P was a huge surprise because I received nothing but great feedback from attendings/residents and some even said they would like me there. I think it was maybe because I scored average on the SAEM test and maybe didn't receive a great grade on my case presentation (just a guess), but in reality I have no idea why I received the grade. I have had a couple interviews also and they said there is nothing but great comments about me in my letters. I consider myself a pretty competitive applicant on paper (step1 =250-260 step2= 245-255, comlex 1/2 >670, lots of research, all honors 3rd year, interesting extracurriculars, etc.) yet have barely had any love from programs. (4 ACGME/3 AOA)

I am a DO student, which I thought was a contributing problem, yet I know people in my class that I am way more competitive on paper and have double the amount of ACGME interview invites from competitive programs.
From what limited feedback I have gotten regarding my LOR's, it seems the content of my SLOE's are fine but the overall grade of them is holding me back. Do programs screen just based off of the the H/HP/P? or do they actually take the time to read all of them even if they are subpar grades?

If all the comments and evals are great - why did you only get a Pass?

It also matters what the grade breakdown is for the institution that wrote you the SLOE. If, for example, that institution gives 20% H/60% HP/20%P then even if you're a good student you're still in the bottom 1/5 of students who rotate there, which makes you quite uncompetitive despite grades.

If all the comments and evals are great - why did you only get a Pass?

That is just my assumption because that was what was said to me by the people interviewing me with my file in their hand. I would think that if it wasn't good and it was a P they would have asked about it specifically and not have said what they said. But again, just all assumptions. The place I got a P, 40% of students get it who rotate there.