2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ekkk! Like what types of things? I got an interview at RFU today too so I want to know if it's worth attending

Rosalind was my first interview. I'll preface this by saying that I do not want to talk crap about a school that might be someone's dream school or someone's only acceptance. I'm pretty sure any medical school in the country will give you a good education and that there are opportunities everywhere for great clinical and research experiences if you look for them.

That being said... I wasn't very impressed. I let the accreditation issue slide. It seemed like a minor issue and apparently it isn't that uncommon for a school to find itself temporarily on probation. Then I stumbled across a thread from early 2000's and RFU was on probation back then too! So that seems pretty disorganized of the school. It also was the only school where I interviewed who still uses the old style curriculum (first year normal anatomy and physiology, second year abnormal). Since everywhere else was bragging about their new curriculums, I felt like RFU was a little behind the times. Other than that, I just didn't get much sparkly feeling from the place. I did like the scenic location, how 80% of all students live in housing next to campus, and doing rotations in Chicago sounded fun.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My impression was almost identical to RachieRach. They were my first II, but by the time I got there I had already interviewed at Arizona and OHSU. It was a very different experience compared to the other two, and while Chicago was my favorite trip it was at the bottom of the list of schools I interviewed at. In the end I didn't even put down the deposit after my acceptance because I just couldn't see myself ever choosing it over the others I had in hand.

That being said, if it had been my only acceptance I would have been estatic to attend the school. There is no such thing as a bad MD or DO school in the continental US.

Rosalind was my first interview. I'll preface this by saying that I do not want to talk crap about a school that might be someone's dream school or someone's only acceptance. I'm pretty sure any medical school in the country will give you a good education and that there are opportunities everywhere for great clinical and research experiences if you look for them.

That being said... I wasn't very impressed. I let the accreditation issue slide. It seemed like a minor issue and apparently it isn't that uncommon for a school to find itself temporarily on probation. Then I stumbled across a thread from early 2000's and RFU was on probation back then too! So that seems pretty disorganized of the school. It also was the only school where I interviewed who still uses the old style curriculum (first year normal anatomy and physiology, second year abnormal). Since everywhere else was bragging about their new curriculums, I felt like RFU was a little behind the times. Other than that, I just didn't get much sparkly feeling from the place. I did like the scenic location, how 80% of all students live in housing next to campus, and doing rotations in Chicago sounded fun.

My impression was almost identical to RachieRach. They were my first II, but by the time I got there I had already interviewed at Arizona and OHSU. It was a very different experience compared to the other two, and while Chicago was my favorite trip it was at the bottom of the list of schools I interviewed at. In the end I didn't even put down the deposit after my acceptance because I just couldn't see myself ever choosing it over the others I had in hand.

That being said, if it had been my only acceptance I would have been estatic to attend the school. There is no such thing as a bad MD or DO school in the continental US.

Thank you for your insight. I need to talk to some of the attendings I work with and see what they think of the school. I don't mind turning down the interview and saving the 500 dollars in travel expenses. I think I'd prefer being in chicago over albany to be honest, but I feel it's hard to gauge how the school is doing right now and I'm not sure how I feel about being so far from clinical facilities given my interest in clinical research.

At this point, I'm not sure where RF would fall on my personal hierarchy. I'll have to 'consult the elders' (i.e. attendings, fellows, and residents) to see what I decide.

Chicago is awesome but i honestly believe you have options that may meet your needs better. I live in the midwest and have heard some unfortunate things regarding that school...enough not to put them on my list when i applied to every other school in Chicago. The following is what Dermviser had to say (supported by Goro also, which I feel lends some credibility)...he's always a hoot.

I've been PM'ing goro back and forth a bit since before I applied. He actually said his opinion has changed about the school in recent years. I just wanted to throw that out there to be fair.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Not going to post this in regular pre-med forum but regarding Rosalind Franklin. One of the attendings I work for went there (i.e. Chicago med school). Here's what he had to say:

"Yeah. I went there, but I think of the place like an anchor. You get a decent education but you have to work way harder to get anywhere."
"I only got residency at mayo because i had one of the highest board scores in the country that year. If i hadn't had that happen and had really good away rotations, I would have had a much harder time with everything."
"You're already in Albany, so honestly I wouldn't really bother."

I guess I'm going to turn it down. Even if it ends up being cheaper, I'm not sure the potential side effects are worth it to me. If I'm so unsure of all of this going in, i'm pretty sure that I wouldn't consider going there. I mean I might go if they give me a full ride, but even then I'd have to think about it.

I was wondering why no one had posted in a week here and then realized I was looking at the 2014 not 2015 thread....

Still waiting for info on waitlist movement and medical waiver approval.

IM GOING TO MEDICAL SCHOOL!!!! Accepted at DMU!!!!!! Shgshdggshhdjjfjdnndbzggzhshsbxggzhhajjsjshdhdgdhj
:banana::banana::banana::banana:

Congrats! I'm from the area and go to ISU. Love it!

Reactions: 1 user
It's not over, until it's over! Joining the late II train @ Cincinnati for next week.

Edit: Unfortunately, it is over at Northwestern.... so sad...

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Just got rejected from Sinai. "I'm shocked," said no one ever.

I did withdraw from RFU. So it goes.

Edit: Just got the Northwestern rejection as well. Bai bai chicago dreams.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry! Luckily you have amazing options already!

Only one option so far! Just albany. Holding out for two more, but I should find out in the next month or two. Gawd that sounds like forever!

Only one option so far! Just albany. Holding out for two more, but I should find out in the next month or two. Gawd that sounds like forever!
I hear ya. Haven't heard a thing since September. I've almost forgot that I'm applying this year! Crazy thinking medical school starts in ~6 months!

Congrats on Albany! About to interview there so hopefully will be an option of mine soon (fingers crossed)! And, yes, this whole process really does drag on!

Hey Nontrads....I thought I would share my story on here. I am a reapply for the 2014-15 cycle. I am married with 3 kids, an RN and a NP. I had a low mcat last year and retook this year only to get 4 points higher but still not particularly great. I didn't apply to many schools because I really can't move right now but I did get one interview which was this past Tues at University of Louisville which is my undergrad and grad school. I felt like the interviews went really well. I hope to hear back soon. Fingers crossed I can come back with good news soon!

Reactions: 6 users
I am really struggling with the "where to go" decision. I've got it narrowed down to OHSU, Arizona, and Penn State but they are all three so evenly matched. I think I'm going to have to go to 2nd look to decide. I started a GoFundMe to try to help cover the cost, mostly because I want to take the kids with me so they can see the areas and help with the decision making process.

Other than that no real updates. A few final rejections trickling in, nothing surprising or disappointing really. Short of someplace like Columbia or Stanford I doubt I'd attend another interview at this point in the cycle anyway.

Reactions: 2 users
I feel ya @WaterPog. There's not much much that could overwhelmingly excite or disappoint me at this point. The rejections have been coming in. Just waiting to hear from a couple schools to make some decisions. Sounds like you have great options (scattered across the country!!).

I still have my fingers crossed for Jeff and Tufts :/

Just got back from about a month of travel. Going away again for 2 months in late March. Been making good on my promise to do just enough work to float by until school starts.

Back home in time to freak out about the end of the cycle and to wait for the gears of those ponderous non-rolling-decision adcoms to begin churning to life.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm going to do similarly.

Going to London for over a week in late March, then leaving my job in June and going to Asia for 1.5-2 months this summer.

I hope everyone's interview cycle is going well. I was wondering if anyone could offer suggestions on how to choose which medical school to attend come fall. While I haven't received all my decisions yet, I really wanted to give myself ample time to make the 'right' choice. How are you guy handling this process? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I've been going crazy for the past day! I was just finishing an interview yesterday and then Columbia apparently starting making acceptance calls. Wasn't expecting one by any means and am very thankful to be on the waitlist!

Reactions: 3 users
Guys my only II so far in next week.
Please keep me in your prayers, this means the world to me.

Reactions: 12 users
I'm pretty nervous about hearing back from Miami tomorrow. I have absolutely no hopes for anything so I guess that's good.

It's not over, until it's over! Joining the late II train @ Cincinnati for next week.

Edit: Unfortunately, it is over at Northwestern.... so sad...
Hey! I hope you love Cincinnati, it's pretty great.

Hey! I hope you love Cincinnati, it's pretty great.
I loved my time at Cincinnati! The facilities were amazing and the staff were so warm and friendly. I liked how the campus is really student-centric and everything is conveniently built around this experience. It also helps to have a top notch peds hospital right there as well as numerous high powered health care organizations in Cincinnati. The MMI was fun too.

In other news, the Need Access form is really detailed. They want to know how much you bought your car for, the total amount of scholarships/loans you had from undergrad, and how much you spent last summer. I know it says last summer is for living expenses, but does applying to med school count as a living expense? I think so...

Glad I found this nontrad thread. As I search the Internet for tips and thoughts on moving and finding places to live, etc., from other students, all I get is unhelpful junk about loading up your bedroom at your parents or your dorm room into your car and heading out. I have a wife and 2 kids to move, as well as a house full of furniture and belongings my family and children need to live. The whole experience seemed like I was the only one trying to do this, although I knew I wasn't. But nobody seems to be talking about this at all! What position are you all in, and what tips do you have on uprooting and moving. I'm hoping to hear from people who have made the move or are in the planning process.

Did you get a house or apartment?
How early did you move before class started?
How did your spouse deal with it?
What are some good ways to keep them and the kids busy?
Anything else you think may help?

I feel your pain. I do not have a family, but I have a house also, and looks like I am going to a school too far to commute from where I am. My SO and I are trying to figure out how we can manage the distance. I feel extremely fortunate to be accepted, however, figuring out the logistics is a challenge, both emotionally and financially. I am trying to rent my house as furnished. There is a website which might be helpful for you to find academic tenants who need furnished home as they also move around the country. sabbaticalhomes.com --especially if you are near universities or major cities.

The bad news is that properties are considered as 'assets'- unless you are living there- which significantly increases 'expected contribution' and affects need-based scholarships and loans eligibility/amount. Even if I sell my home, it would not make a difference, as my 'cash assets' will increase. But despite all of these, I still think going to med school is well worthwhile.

Really hoping that this is my week for hearing some good news from einstein. I still haven't heard from miami yet though, which is so weird given that they said they were going to send out decisions 2 weeks ago and my status says a decision has been made but I haven't been notified yet.

Hi y'all! I'm happy to report my application cycle is complete and Dartmouth is my #1! So barring any significant financial aid differences, you'll be able to find me in quaint New England!

Congrats to everyone who has made this trek! And for those waiting I wish the best for you!

Cheers from the other end of the world! The lack of internet has been good for my sanity, haha.

Reactions: 16 users
Hi y'all! I'm happy to report my application cycle is complete and Dartmouth is my #1! So barring any significant financial aid differences, you'll be able to find me in quaint New England!

Congrats to everyone who has made this trek! And for those waiting I wish the best for you!

Cheers from the other end of the world! The lack of internet has been good for my sanity, haha.
@ConsultantMD, congratulations! Hope you love Dartmouth!

Accepted to Rosalind Franklin! Waitlisted at GW and UMD since the fall, waiting on results from Hofstra interview, and super-excited to be interviewing at Jefferson soon.

Reactions: 7 users
After months of preparing myself for a rejection from my first choice school it turns out I was ACCEPTED. :eek: Yale!!! Just unbelievable!

Reactions: 20 users
Nontrads are KILLING it in 2015!!
Congrats, Overanxious!

After months of preparing myself for a rejection from my first choice school it turns out I was ACCEPTED. :eek: Yale!!! Just unbelievable!
@Overanxious! FABULOUS!!! Congratulations! I will crane my neck and stare upwards to see if I can get a glimpse of you floating through the air. . .wow!

I am beyond anxious to hear back from Einstein. Should be any day now. I interviewed Jan 16 and they said 8 weeks.

I've been absent from this thread because it's been really anxiety-provoking. I'm so glad to come back and find out that so many people have gotten acceptances. Congrats everyone!
That is nice of you, @canadianinusa! Welcome back. . .(and may we all become serene!)