2015 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh this kinda made me sad. Quinnipiac is #3 on my list, Hofstra isn't even on there. I know though that you can't get as clear an idea from all the research in the world until you actually get to interview there. And that everyone is different. But this did make me a little sad.
I think everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but it truly is all about where you will personally be most happy. I would take people's criticism with loads of salt. If you get to the school and you are feeling the vibe there and you think you'd be happy there, then go for it. If you're the type of person that gets hung up on details and you know you will curse yourself forever for making that decision, then maybe you should keep your ear to the ground for others' criticisms. For the school I'm currently accepted at, someone shared that they were withdrawing because it wasn't a good fit and people could PM them for specifics. Then some specifics leaked into the forum, and a lot of it sounded hearsay-ish. I'm not going to let that bother me at all because when I was there, I thought it was an awesome fit and I know 3 people who graduated/will graduate this year and they are going to be amazing doctors. All I've gotta say is: haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate... shake it off!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I think everyone is certainly entitled to their own opinion, but it truly is all about where you will personally be most happy. I would take people's criticism with loads of salt. If you get to the school and you are feeling the vibe there and you think you'd be happy there, then go for it. If you're the type of person that gets hung up on details and you know you will curse yourself forever for making that decision, then maybe you should keep your ear to the ground for others' criticisms. For the school I'm currently accepted at, someone shared that they were withdrawing because it wasn't a good fit and people could PM them for specifics. Then some specifics leaked into the forum, and a lot of it sounded hearsay-ish. I'm not going to let that bother me at all because when I was there, I thought it was an awesome fit and I know 3 people who graduated/will graduate this year and they are going to be amazing doctors. All I've gotta say is: haters gonna hate, hate, hate, hate, hate... shake it off!
I actually really don't like this at all. You say each person is entitled to their own opinion but then you go on to suggest that if that opinion doesn't vibe with yours they are a hater? Each person's experience will be different...that doesn't make one more right than the other nor are they a hater. What's right for the goose isn't necessarily right for the gander. RTC didn't get the feel goods from Quinnipiac and is probably not the best place for him and what he's trying to accomplish that doesn't mean it won't be a good place for sunshinefl and it doesn't make RTC a hater or his opinion wrong.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Quinnipiac hasn't had students take Step 1's yet. They only have MS2's. Hofstra killed the Step 1's for both the years that have taken it. This year is their first match. I'm crossing my fingers I get in there and that the match is good. The advantage there that the class matriculating in 2015 would be their 5th match.

I think judging fit of a school is really hard because so much BS is marketing.

The dean of admissions at quinn sat across from us towards the end of the session and asked if we had any questions. I was like "yes, I have a very pointed question. When I ask students that have been through the process and are residents and fellows and attendings now how I should judge a program they say look at Step 1's and match lists... you don't have either of those. Why should I trust you? How should we judge you? If we are lucky enough to have multiple acceptances, how do we compare another school to your program?"

I felt a collective sigh of relief from the other students because they were wondering exactly that but didn't have the balls to ask. I don't have any acceptances right now, but I'm not one to stand down and not use the opportunity to ask the important questions.

To his credit, the dean had come in memorizing a memorable fact about every applicant. He remembered one of the most boring things on my resume.

I think that put me in the reject pile right there....
I wouldn't count them out...meaning i'd hope they wouldn't reject you for asking tough questions (it's your future of course you want to know the details!). Trust yourself, I've been told your first impressions of a school are usually spot on and if you are not happy initially it's hard to make those nagging feelings go away.

I actually really don't like this at all. You say each person is entitled to their own opinion but then you go on to suggest that if that opinion doesn't vibe with yours they are a hater? Each person's experience will be different...that doesn't make one more right than the other nor are they a hater. What's right for the goose isn't necessarily right for the gander. RTC didn't get the feel goods from Quinnipiac and is probably not the best place for him and what he's trying to accomplish that doesn't mean it won't be a good place for sunshinefl and it doesn't make RTC a hater or his opinion wrong.
Ok to be honest, the haters reference is to the fact that the stupid T. Swift song is stuck in my head. But, I do think that SDN isn't the place to make people feel bad about schools that they'd like to go to, it seems anti-supportive. That is all.

Reactions: 2 users

That was for miami right?

My point was that I'm not willing to spend 300k+ for someone's experiment, even if it is successful. I'm not a trailblazer in that regard especially when the dean of admissions tells the interviewees that it's not the right fit for them if they want to do a competitive specialty. If you're interested in primary care, internal medicine, etc., then it's not a problem.

As someone that likes surgery and orthopedics, I'd be hard pressed to walk into something like that. The fact that one of the ortho programs affiliated with the med school misdiagnosed me personally makes me hesitant to want to learn anything from them.

I'm being very honest and direct in my criticisms. As others have pointed out, fellow interviewees don't really make the school what it is since they're not admitted students going to the school.

I don't want to go to a place that closes doors for me before I walk in. As you said, these are all personal reasons and people should evaluate accordingly. I never stated it was a bad place, but of the three schools I have interviewed at so far... it is the lowest on my totem pole. Given the other programs I have II's from, I have a feeling it will stay there.

Coming from a really big academic center, I'm also spoiled. The things I currently study and do research on are rare in general. Quinnipiac isn't a place to train academic physicians. That's not their mission. That's the reality.

I don't jive with their mission. It's not an attack or reflection on the character of the school.

Sorry guys I was not trying to start a debate. Just saying I really love Quinnipiac on paper. Hopefully they invite me to see them in person when it's my turn.

You're fine. Just because it's not a good fit for me, doesn't mean that it's not for you. This is a good kind of conversation to have because one needs to be realistic going into schools. I have been told to evaluate a schools reputation based on board scores and match lists. QU has neither. This doesn't really matter for primary care and IM.

That said a coworker also had that same impression between hofstra and quinnipiac. We're both working in ortho research in the same tertiary academic center...which quinnipiac doesn't compare to in mission or scale.

Regarding QU: 7800ish applications, 500 interviews will be offered, expecting to make acceptance offers to 220-230 for a class of ~90. I have a feeling they have a long waitlist.

Last edited:
Ok to be honest, the haters reference is to the fact that the stupid T. Swift song is stuck in my head. But, I do think that SDN isn't the place to make people feel bad about schools that they'd like to go to, it seems anti-supportive. That is all.
It is catchy (T swift). I don't believe RTC was trying to make Sunshinefl feel bad about her decision, he was just trying to give an honest account of his experience. Overall...i'd agree that SDN does seem like a negative place and anti-supportive. But i hope we on this thread can still be honest on both positive and negative vibes from schools and supportive/offer input to help tease out those experiences and gain perspective. My experience at Mayo wasn't the best, but asyouwish pointed out to me her interactions with students were really on the opposite spectrum and it sounds like those she spoke with were really what i was looking for. If given the chance i'll probably give them a second look but had i not discussed that with her i may have turned down a great opportunity.

Reactions: 1 users
If it was the only place I got in... I'd go.

This is going to sound terrible, but the building is shared with all the other allied health disciplines and the students were freaking hot.

It is catchy (T swift). I don't believe RTC was trying to make Sunshinefl feel bad about her decision, he was just trying to give an honest account of his experience. Overall...i'd agree that SDN does seem like a negative place and anti-supportive. But i hope we on this thread can still be honest on both positive and negative vibes from schools and supportive/offer input to help tease out those experiences and gain perspective. My experience at Mayo wasn't the best, but asyouwish pointed out to me her interactions with students were really on the opposite spectrum and it sounds like those she spoke with were really what i was looking for. If given the chance i'll probably give them a second look but had i not discussed that with her i may have turned down a great opportunity.

Yeah. I think honest review for schools is important. For all I know, they'll be the only ones that take me...That fear almost makes me want to withdraw.

Last edited:
Oh this kinda made me sad. Quinnipiac is #3 on my list, Hofstra isn't even on there. I know though that you can't get as clear an idea from all the research in the world until you actually get to interview there. And that everyone is different. But this did make me a little sad.

Noooo don't be sad. The Quinnipiac folks seem STOKED on their school. Every school and every applicant is different. I was accepted at Cooper, which has everything that I'm looking for in a school; small, new curriculum, huge focus on community service. It gave me all the right feelings on interview day. It's probably a similar program to Quinnipiac in a lot of ways. But my friend who is also applying laughs and says he'd rather apply again next year than go to Cooper. I think wherever you go, you will get a good educations and will find the opportunities that you need. It's all about where you will be happy!

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
That was for miami right?

My point was that I'm not willing to spend 300k+ for someone's experiment, even if it is successful. I'm not a trailblazer in that regard especially when the dean of admissions tells the interviewees that it's not the right fit for them if they want to do a competitive specialty. If you're interested in primary care, internal medicine, etc., then it's not a problem.

As someone that likes surgery and orthopedics, I'd be hard pressed to walk into something like that. The fact that one of the ortho programs affiliated with the med school misdiagnosed me personally makes me hesitant to want to learn anything from them.

I'm being very honest and direct in my criticisms. As others have pointed out, fellow interviewees don't really make the school what it is since they're not admitted students going to the school.

I don't want to go to a place that closes doors for me before I walk in. As you said, these are all personal reasons and people should evaluate accordingly. I never stated it was a bad place, but of the three schools I have interviewed at so far... it is the lowest on my totem pole. Given the other programs I have II's from, I have a feeling it will stay there.

Coming from a really big academic center, I'm also spoiled. The things I currently study and do research on are rare in general. Quinnipiac isn't a place to train academic physicians. That's not their mission. That's the reality.

I don't jive with their mission. It's not an attack or reflection on the character of the school.

You're fine. Just because it's not a good fit for me, doesn't mean that it's not for you. This is a good kind of conversation to have because one needs to be realistic going into schools. I have been told to evaluate a schools reputation based on board scores and match lists. QU has neither. This doesn't really matter for primary care and IM.

That said a coworker also had that same impression between hofstra and quinnipiac. We're both working in ortho research in the same tertiary academic center...which quinnipiac doesn't compare to in mission or scale.

Regarding QU: 7800ish applications, 500 interviews will be offered, expecting to make acceptance offers to 220-230 for a class of ~90. I have a feeling they have a long waitlist.

QU definitely markets itself as being heavy on primary care, so I can see why the school did not appeal to you.

I ended up not completing the secondary here not because I didn't like primary care but rather because I wanted to be in a more diverse professional environment. I feel like I would be happiest in a place where each student wants something different out of his/her education, whether that is academic medicine or community health

Noooo don't be sad. The Quinnipiac folks seem STOKED on their schools. Every school and every applicant is different. I was accepted at Cooper, which has everything that I'm looking for in a school; small, new curriculum, huge focus on community service. It gave me all the right feelings on interview day. It's probably a similar program to Quinnipiac in a lot of ways. But my friend who is also applying laughs and says he'd rather apply again next year than go to Cooper. I think wherever you go, you will get a good educations and will find the opportunities that you need. It's all about where you will be happy!

If only happiness didn't have to be so darn subjective...:thinking:

Echoing what has already been said, choose the school that will make you happy. Find a place where you can realize your dreams in a manner that causes as much collateral happiness as possible!

Reactions: 3 users
I honestly need to get my interview game together.

Does anyone have any tips? I feel like I ramble a fair amount...ie too much and have issues staying on track. I know part of it is knowing my application better, but I see interconnectedness in everything and probably come off super ADD.

I also completely forget about what I did in undergrad sometimes since it feels like it was so long ago. I guess I should talk some of it up, i.e. doing reslife/RA stuff. There's so much teamwork stuff I could talk about there, but I feel like I already wrote about it on my application and hate repeating myself.

I just had a nightmare that I was retaking the MCAT and I ran out of time on VR. Ughhhhhhhh.

Members don't see this ad :)
It wasn't an MCAT retake nightmare, it was your first step 1 nightmare!

I just had a nightmare that I was retaking the MCAT and I ran out of time on VR. Ughhhhhhhh.
I definitely had a dream about the MCAT months ago that there was an error on my test date and that my score went up by a point in PS... hahaha silly dreams.

I honestly need to get my interview game together.

Does anyone have any tips? I feel like I ramble a fair amount...ie too much and have issues staying on track. I know part of it is knowing my application better, but I see interconnectedness in everything and probably come off super ADD.

I also completely forget about what I did in undergrad sometimes since it feels like it was so long ago. I guess I should talk some of it up, i.e. doing reslife/RA stuff. There's so much teamwork stuff I could talk about there, but I feel like I already wrote about it on my application and hate repeating myself.
One suggestion I got was to rephrase--kind of "mirror"--the interviewer's question, which gives you time to think, focuses the mind, and lets the interviewer know that you really are listening. Another I got concerned "selling point." Marketers say that for any product or service, the seller should focus on a single, most important selling point, and mention the others later, making sure to tie those in with the major point and to conclude with a restatement of that major point.

I ramble, particularly when I am nervous, so that advice has been helpful to me. I am not a "think on my feet" (or seat!) kind of person, so I also rehearse a lot in advance, answering the anticipated questions but not memorizing responses. I don't want to sound "canned."

My guess, though, is that interviewers don't expect you to be as polished as a guest on a late night talk show. Some will even prompt you. Watch the interviewer's body language--eyes glazed? Looking into distance or at papers or--God forbid!--at watch? Lots of fidgets and throat clearing. Lip pursing? All seem to be hints that it is time to sum up and conclude. I've been told that my own body language is also as important as what I say. I'm a fidgeter, so I have to be aware of my hand-wringing, foot tapping, and other self-soothing gestures, but I also nod and smile a lot (not that Miss America way!) and try to expand on a phrase in the interviewer's question while looking keenly at him or her.

I'm not a professional, but maybe these tips are a starting place? I somehow doubt that you interview poorly!!

Reactions: 2 users
One suggestion I got was to rephrase--kind of "mirror"--the interviewer's question, which gives you time to think, focuses the mind, and lets the interviewer know that you really are listening. Another I got concerned "selling point." Marketers say that for any product or service, the seller should focus on a single, most important selling point, and mention the others later, making sure to tie those in with the major point and to conclude with a restatement of that major point.

I ramble, particularly when I am nervous, so that advice has been helpful to me. I am not a "think on my feet" (or seat!) kind of person, so I also rehearse a lot in advance, answering the anticipated questions but not memorizing responses. I don't want to sound "canned."

My guess, though, is that interviewers don't expect you to be as polished as a guest on a late night talk show. Some will even prompt you. Watch the interviewer's body language--eyes glazed? Looking into distance or at papers or--God forbid!--at watch? Lots of fidgets and throat clearing. Lip pursing? All seem to be hints that it is time to sum up and conclude. I've been told that my own body language is also as important as what I say. I'm a fidgeter, so I have to be aware of my hand-wringing, foot tapping, and other self-soothing gestures, but I also nod and smile a lot (not that Miss America way!) and try to expand on a phrase in the interviewer's question while looking keenly at him or her.

I'm not a professional, but maybe these tips are a starting place? I somehow doubt that you interview poorly!!

I like conversations with people when they're structured around something. Having to create context can be difficult for me in these scenarios since I feel like my application has everything in it that I have to say about my work and academic and activity history. And I dread talking about myself, but really really like talking about learning growing etc. I just have to get more on the ball in terms of tying those things in. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I need to go through my primary and secondaries and look through my activities and think of a story in each of them that relates to that school. Also need to get better at asking questions about a school.

It's also hard when in a certain sense, I don't really care where I go as long as the opportunities are there. Not really something I can tell an interviewer though.

I had my Creighton interview on Friday. Absolutely fell in love with the school. Finally, a place where I felt at home. I could see myself being happy and successful there. Hoping and praying that I get accepted and can call this cycle quits.

Reactions: 8 users
GUESS WHO HAS TWO THUMBS AND JUST GOT AN INTERVIEW IN DES MOINES???? THIS GUY!!!!:banana::banana: So thrilled! Can't wait! Interview is January 12th, I hope they still have seats available. So thrilled! Complete 11/14

Reactions: 15 users
I had my Creighton interview on Friday. Absolutely fell in love with the school. Finally, a place where I felt at home. I could see myself being happy and successful there. Hoping and praying that I get accepted and can call this cycle quits.
Reallllllly hoping for an acceptance for you!!!!

It's an awesome feeling isn't it? I remember my it was after not feeling anything too special the first 4 interviews to have that glow with #5 and #6, realizing that just because the school is in your backyard and makes the most sense on paper it may not be the best place for you.

Good luck to you!

Totally off topic but I need everyone's sympathy.... I had 3 finals today, while having a 102.3 degree fever, joint aches, headache, muscle ache, ear ache, bone ache, teeth ache, nasal congestion, sore throat, painful swallowing, coughing, and sneezing.

Yikes - that sounds awful! Hopefully these were the last of your finals? Hoping for you to have a speedy recovery!!!

Totally off topic but I need everyone's sympathy.... I had 3 finals today, while having a 102.3 degree fever, joint aches, headache, muscle ache, ear ache, bone ache, teeth ache, nasal congestion, sore throat, painful swallowing, coughing, and sneezing.

Sending good thoughts your way. Besides all the things you will say to your future patients (sleep, hydrate, etc.), I would encourage you to find something that will make you smile. Whatever that may be, I hope you enjoy and feel better soon!

It's an awesome feeling isn't it? I remember my it was after not feeling anything too special the first 4 interviews to have that glow with #5 and #6, realizing that just because the school is in your backyard and makes the most sense on paper it may not be the best place for you.

Good luck to you!

Exact same thing happened to me! Amazing when you get "that" feeling.

I like conversations with people when they're structured around something. Having to create context can be difficult for me in these scenarios since I feel like my application has everything in it that I have to say about my work and academic and activity history. And I dread talking about myself, but really really like talking about learning growing etc. I just have to get more on the ball in terms of tying those things in. I've been thinking about this a lot lately and I need to go through my primary and secondaries and look through my activities and think of a story in each of them that relates to that school. Also need to get better at asking questions about a school.

It's also hard when in a certain sense, I don't really care where I go as long as the opportunities are there. Not really something I can tell an interviewer though.
Yes, I understand. When I talk about "the wonders of me," I feel like both a braggart and a fraud. And you are right, I think--your app probably does "say it all." The interview is about the "how you say it." My mom teaches business communication and says that expert estimates of how much communication is nonverbal range from 75% to 95%. (She goes with the higher number!) I like your story-telling idea. Can't help agreeing with the opportunity-based ambitions, either. I hope I didn't come off as condescending! Just passing along advice I've been given. (And now you can guess the source of most of it!)

Yeah I talk to my mom about all this stuff as well :)

Accepted at NYU today! Just about lost it when the email came in. So incredibly thrilled!

Reactions: 15 users
Congrats.

Rejected from Cornell today. I caved in and called Hofstra today. Tried to play it cool but the guy sorta recognized my voice and I had to cough up who I was. He said the committee meets at different times and that not hearing doesn't mean a rejection.

I'm pretty certain that not hearing as others on your date or soon after means that you're under consideration and re-reviewed till a certain date when they make decisions on earlier applicants. I wish schools would be more transparent. It's frustrating.

Congrats.

Rejected from Cornell today. I caved in and called Hofstra today. Tried to play it cool but the guy sorta recognized my voice and I had to cough up who I was. He said the committee meets at different times and that not hearing doesn't mean a rejection.

I'm pretty certain that not hearing as others on your date or soon after means that you're under consideration and re-reviewed till a certain date when they make decisions on earlier applicants. I wish schools would be more transparent. It's frustrating.
Doggone it anyhow, @ridethecliche! I am sorry that you got bad news. Apparently Cornell is just spewing those notifications out just now. Keep the faith, baby.

It's fine! 25 schools left to hear from and 3 interviews still to go (hopefully m0ar!).

2 rejections this week. Wondering what Friday brings!

Last edited:
Accepted at Arizona-Phoenix today. They are on the 2nd look list for sure. Probably not going to accept the CMS offer. Just can't see choosing them over Phoenix and OHSU.

Reactions: 6 users
@Overanxious , I should probably steal your username lol.
:laugh: When do you expect decisions post interview? Did they even give you a ballpark? I know you have more interviews too! I'm looking forward to hearing how the next one goes! Relax and hopefully researchismymiddlename's notes will help!

:laugh: When do you expect decisions post interview? Did they even give you a ballpark? I know you have more interviews too! I'm looking forward to hearing how the next one goes! Relax and hopefully researchismymiddlename's notes will help!

Hofstra is up in the air for date. Quinnipiac is probably late dec/early jan. I still haven't sent a thank you note. Not sure I will tbh.

Albany said 2-3 week turnover. I'm terrified about this one the most.

I have 3 more interviews between late jan mid feb. Hoping to pick up a few more so I can hit the next group feeling more confident.

What are we expecting for this week? Big things for the week leading into the holidays where a ton of people are going to be gone or are we expecting much more movement in early jan when people are back from the holiday break?

How many schools are people waiting to hear from whether it's regarding II's or decisions?

What are we expecting for this week? Big things for the week leading into the holidays where a ton of people are going to be gone or are we expecting much more movement in early jan when people are back from the holiday break?

How many schools are people waiting to hear from whether it's regarding II's or decisions?

I think we might hear some this week, but I think it'll be dead next week till new years.

My tally is 2 II (1 accept), 2 reject, 2 silence

I have 3 that I'm waiting on post interview and I think 9-10 still pending for II, but there are only 6 that I would attend interviews at if invited. Not expecting anything from Penn State or Minnesota until into January and not really expecting any more interviews at this point.

The planets must have shifted a little bit! Got an acceptance from University of Toledo and, after a really long wait, an invitation to interview at Dartmouth. I don't think Geisel will take me. (They do not like me, though I'm a lamb. They do not like me as I am. Not in their pool. Not in their school. Not studying there. Not in their hair. ) Nevertheless, one does appreciate being asked, even as a courtesy!
Hope all the astrological aspects are favorable for all of you, too! (Or whatever.)

Reactions: 4 users
My goodness, @ridethecliche! And you already have a bucketful of acceptances, if I am not mistaken!

At the time you wrote that message 17 minutes ago, I had 0 acceptances...

However, I just checked my email and I was just accepted by Albany. I'm so freaking happy.

Reactions: 19 users

However, I just checked my email and I was just accepted by Albany. I'm so freaking happy.
Ahhhh! So cool! Congratulations!!!

Great!!! Really happy for you, man!