2015 Critical Care IM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My real reason for wandering in here though . . .

As a group in this site looking to do just critical care I am wondering how the folks in here would feel about a job that was a week on/week off but 50% nights. Basically your "week on" would alternate between days and nights.

???

Honest answers will be helpful here. Be brutal if you like.

Take this with the caveat that I'm currently applying to PCCM, so I'm not an intensivist yet. I have worked as a nocturnist for the past year though at a place with am IM training program, with a significant portion of my time spent in the ICU helping the ICU night float resident. Our ICU is medium size and not that busy at night. I think the schedule you have proposed is reasonable, provided that it is true 7 on-7 off and that there is some differential pay for nights (if the person doing this schedule is doing more nights than the rest of the group, if everyone in the group works similar numbers of nights, then no differential necessary). If you start adding random shifts on the "off" week or do not provide differential pay for nights (if working more than everyone else), I think it would be hard to recruit for that job.

Members don't see this ad.

Take this with the caveat that I'm currently applying to PCCM, so I'm not an intensivist yet. I have worked as a nocturnist for the past year though at a place with am IM training program, with a significant portion of my time spent in the ICU helping the ICU night float resident. Our ICU is medium size and not that busy at night. I think the schedule you have proposed is reasonable, provided that it is true 7 on-7 off and that there is some differential pay for nights (if the person doing this schedule is doing more nights than the rest of the group, if everyone in the group works similar numbers of nights, then no differential necessary). If you start adding random shifts on the "off" week or do not provide differential pay for nights (if working more than everyone else), I think it would be hard to recruit for that job.

True 7 on 7 off. Monday through Sunday. No extra or random shifts. Everyone in the group takes turns at the night shift. But since everyone else is pulmonary and critical care you can't make a straight comparison because the pulmonary and critical care will actually work more days per month because of clinic. No pay differential. It's a take it or leave it kind of thing. The job is salary (and competitive by MGMA) but if your total rvu's bump above the set salary when totaled you get paid the difference at the end of the year.

Members don't see this ad :)
any comments or interview invitations regarding the miami and orlando programs in florida? it has been too quiet for my liking.

True 7 on 7 off. Monday through Sunday. No extra or random shifts. Everyone in the group takes turns at the night shift. But since everyone else is pulmonary and critical care you can't make a straight comparison because the pulmonary and critical care will actually work more days per month because of clinic. No pay differential. It's a take it or leave it kind of thing. The job is salary (and competitive by MGMA) but if your total rvu's bump above the set salary when totaled you get paid the difference at the end of the year.

I would say it's still not a bad deal because overall, there would be less shifts worked than the PCCM people having to cover clinic, that is, assuming the base salary is the same.

JDH- I think 7 on 7 off model is pretty common (I am amidst application now). Most places aren't paying as well as you are probably getting because I'm looking big city (Im basing this on yours being competitive related to MGMA.) I think a week of nights is par for the course early on, although when Im older a week of nights might be terrible. My job is looking like per month: 7 days of nights, 5 shifts in the ED and spaced out week in SICU intermittently (one every 6 weeks).

As for good plain CCM programs I interviewed at several a few years back I liked Pitt a lot, I think the education with dedicated free time is probably second to none. There isn't much pure MICU from what I could tell (taking care of BMT's, straightfoward ESRD on HD with bacteremia) which probably doesn't detract much from one's education. Stanford's program is nice in that its mixed (anesthesia/surg/EM/IM/Neuro) so you learn from each other. There is less elective time and the services are busy so bedside teaching is less than other places I presume. US is very strong there as well. I also liked cooper a lot and have heard great things about Maryland. Ultimately it came down to what my wife wanted.

I think in the end CC is CC, it is sort of like ground hog day in that the same problems keep recurring over and over again (GIB, aspiration PNA, septic shock, hypoxemia, nutrition, weakness, cancer in MICU. Leaks, PE, onc disasters, trauma and its complications in SICU. Renal failure, postcardiotomy shock, dysrhythmias, fluid balance, right heart failure in CVICU.) Obviously I'm generalizing, but do a fellowship where you'll be happy enough to read a lot and you'll be fine. The only caveat is if you want high profile academic job with research K award, and to be a publishing machine probably Pitt is # 1.

ORL, thank you for your insight, where did you end up doing your fellowship?
comments on cleveland clinic?

Anyone heard from Stanford? Have they sent out interview dates yet?

i havent heard from most of the places. If i make a list from the forum, people have heard from
Mt Sinai
Mayo
U pitt.
U wash

if i missed anything pl add

OHSU, Mercy-St. Louis can be added. Baylor (today) and Stanford (over a month ago) sent a "your app is in review" message, but no invite.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think so. I think interviews have been offered in most places already.

I am one.
Are people already hearing about pre-match offers ?

I am one.
Are people already hearing about pre-match offers ?
not really. i understand that it's only through offers as opposed to a match program.
are people hearing about any interviews/rejections from orlando or miami?

i called maimi, the co-ordinator said she is getting many calls, but she does not know when they wll start interviewing.

Ppulmcc has been more high yield than critical care in terms of invites. 6 pulm cc. zero critical care invite

I guess they can see I am weighted towards both pulm and critical care in my projects and case reports. But still expected at least some bites

i called maimi, the co-ordinator said she is getting many calls, but she does not know when they wll start interviewing.
i appreciate that info. i had heard through the grape vine that they hadn't started interviewing yet. same goes for orlando. still sorting through applications.

any news? people want to talk about places they have already signed contracts with? anyone still waiting/hoping for interviews? well i guess i am!

any news? people want to talk about places they have already signed contracts with? anyone still waiting/hoping for interviews? well i guess i am!
i got a CC fellowship, i'm very happy to report. won't specify where for my internal stupid reasons but i wish you all the best of luck!