2015/2016 PM&R Interview Experiences Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

demerol

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
2015/2016 PM&R Interview Experiences Thread - Let's keep it going from previous years

Review interview days + post useful info for other applicants.

Template

Program:

# of Applicants:

Interview day structure:

# of interviews + w/who?:

Residents:

Programs directors:

Fellowships offered:

Call schedule:

Best Features:

Any negatives:

Anything else:

Members don't see this ad.

Why isn't this thread getting any love? Even if people want to just share their general experience without filling out the template, I'm sure it'd help a lot of others make some tough decisions!

Reactions: 1 user
Why isn't this thread getting any love? Even if people want to just share their general experience without filling out the template, I'm sure it'd help a lot of others make some tough decisions!
Start the party

Members don't see this ad :)
Lol, seems like a lot of work to write about them all. Most of what was said in the past on here was pretty accurate. However, I'll post about a couple of programs that I really enjoyed that may not have had all the attention from before. I'm not going to go into all the program specifics as that can be found easily on their websites.

Program: Penn State Hershey

# of Applicants: ~10

Dinner: Dinner night before at really cool local restaurant. Had a good time with 3 residents and a PA (may have been someone else there too). Believe we had some drinks as well. Was very low key and they just wanted to get to know us. Food was really good. Provided every candidate with hotel room at local hotel.

Interview day structure: Morning or afternoon start time based roughly on distance having to travel home that day. This was nice as I was able to finish my day early as I had a 9 hour drive home ahead of me. Had 4 30 minute interviews with PD and other physiatrist or staff. Be prepared for some basic PM&R questions that they ask everyone to just make sure you know something about common PM&R topics. Next was a tour of the rehab hospital. Then we took a shuttle to the brand new research center and had lunch and sat through a noon lecture.

Residents: This is a brand new program. Have only 4 PGY-2 residents. Very laid back and down to earth personalities.

Programs directors: Dr. Gater was a pleasure to interview with. Very passionate about the program. He is SCI attending.

Fellowships offered: Not sure

Call schedule: Home call. Don't remember exactly the requirement. Program was just starting out, may change as resident numbers increase. Current residents said call was light and non-stressful.

Best Features: Good location for a smaller town residency. Still close for trips to east coast area without all the traffic. Cost of living is pretty low. I remember the residents saying they have enjoyed the didactics series thus far, although it is obviously still in development. The rehab facility was recently new / expanded and is very nice - it is literally in the middle of a cow field.

Any negatives: New program...Hershey smells like chocolate.

Anything else: Really liked this program a lot. I know a lot of people didn't apply to the program this year because it was a newer program. I found it to be a strong program with a lot of opportunities. Was very happy I made the trip for this interview. Also the PC was very nice, and the residents said she went way out of her way to help out the residents

Last edited:
Program: The Ohio State University

# of Applicants: ~8

Dinner: Night before dinner at trendy Columbus restaurant. The dinner was very good. Didn't have any alcoholic drinks. About 6 residents showed up for dinner and were extremely nice. They were honest and wanted to get to know us. Afterwards we walked a few blocks and got some ice cream together.

Interview day structure: Light breakfast provided. Program overview by PD. 4 interviews and a tour of the rehab hospital and the billion dollar James cancer hospital.

# of interviews + w/who?: 4 with PD and faculty. Pretty much laid back. Be honest and know your own strengths and weaknesses. No pimp questions.

Residents: 7 per year. I think 3 categorical and 4 advanced positions. Everyone I interacted with was extremely nice and friendly. Very open as to the strengths or weaknesses of the program.

Programs directors: Dr. Colachis is the PD. He is a spinal cord attending. Very energetic and passionate man. Very excited about the OSU PM&R program. Very dedicated to the residents and make sure they get good training with a good work/life balance.

Fellowships offered: I forget. Pain, SCI, TBI (I think).

Call schedule: I believe it is home call about 1 per week when doing inpatient rotations. Don't believe it is very stressful. Main hospital is right across the street if acute care is needed.

Best Features: Lots of opportunities and resources. They have a lot of opportunities for cancer rehab, and this will probably continue to grow in the future. Can pretty much experience anything in PM&R that you want to. Didactics are mostly faculty taught. Columbus is a nice city (traffic can be bad). Plenty of opportunities to teach medical students if you want to. PD and PC were very dedicated and very available to the residents. Also have residencies for doctor of PT and OT at Dodd Hall rehab hospital. These are great people to interact with and learn about PT and OT.

Any negatives: Ann Arbor is 186 miles too close. I hear that the prelim/intern year at OSU is very tough.

Anything else: Residents do ~4 months of peds at Columbus Children's, which is more than I've seen at most places. Great place to be a PM&R resident with good training and support. Have a lot of opportunities to experience every part of inpatient rehab, and patients come from all over the state just to be at Ohio State. They do tend to take more 'sick' rehab patients, so a strong intern year is recommended.

Last edited:
Program: University of Louisville

# of Applicants: ~6 (Interviewing 50 total)

Dinner: Before interview day dinner at cool mexican restaurant. Most of the 6 residents were there (I think 5 showed up). One resident even knew my application at dinner and was asking me questions about my file - was really impressed by this. Was laid back and we had a good time. Residents were very excited about this program.

Interview day structure: Light breakfast at rehab hospital. Had program overview then interview. Good lunch and noon lecture by a resident. The tour was a little too long.

# of interviews + w/who?: I lost my schedule, but I think we had 4 interviews about 15 - 20 minutes long with PD, chief resident and faculty. They want to know why you want to go to U of L.

Residents: 2 per year. Very energetic and nice. Really loved the program at U of L. They feel like they are trained in every aspect of PM&R that they could be. They were getting good fellowship spots for next year at top programs.

Programs directors: Dr. Kaelin is the PD. Very nice and energetic man. Had a good time talking with him.

Fellowships offered: ?

Call schedule: Residents said it was pretty light call. I think it is home call. Will have call all 3 years. Don't have specifics.

Best Features: Residents were all very excited to be at U of L and said that they were well trained in procedures. Plenty of opportunities to do interventional spine, sports, EMG or inpatient rehab during residency. Really anything you want. Fraiser rehab hospital was about 14 stories tall and offered a large variety of patients. Had a whole floor dedicated to peds rehab.

Any negatives: I don't know Louisville all that well, but it seems like an okay place to live. Interviewing 50 candidates for only 2 spots - this was the worst odds that I came across on my interview trail.

Anything else: Feel like this is a great program. Good resident lifestyle with tons of opportunities to finish residency and be very confident doing any procedures that you need to do. Residents were very happy. The program has been around for a long time. I feel like they offer a top quality PM&R program without having a big name behind them.

Last edited:
No-one else willing to review any programs??

Program: University of Wisconsin

# of Applicants: 4 - interview only a small amount and are very selective on who they invite.

Dinner: Night before dinner at local restaurant/bar. Almost all residents were present, and some knew my application fairly well. Had a good time at dinner and drinks. Very laid back and casual. Residents were all friends with each other and got along very well. A good amount of faculty showed up as well and were fun/interesting to talk to.

Interview day structure: Light breakfast and coffee. Program overview followed by 4 20 minute interviews. Then a didactics session, lunch and tour. Drove in residents car and toured town as well. Car tour was a little long.

Residents: Simply put...they have fun and enjoy being around each other. They all know each other well and are the closest group of residents I came across on the interview trail. Very laid back and joke around with each other. Hang out with each other as well. They all have hobbies outside of residency that they are passionate about.

Programs directors: Dr. Weigert was very friendly - maybe a little quiet. Dr. Leonard is the Chairman and was very interesting and we had a good conversation during dinner night before.

Best Features: Very well trained in outpatient PM&R. Not going to say much more about that because it has been stated on these boards before. New stand alone rehab facility just opened this year. Is a nice facility, but hardly had any patients at all when I toured it. They use PA's and NP's to cover most medical issues. Madison is a good area to live in - very pretty. Lots to do outdoors and plenty of breweries to go to as well. Also have a high salary with PGY-2 at $57,967.

Any negatives: In-patient seems to be lacking so far, even with new rehab facility. Work load might be lower compared with other programs. Cold and long winters.

Anything else: Was told multiple times that they have a lighter work schedule compared to other programs. Sometimes don't even work 40 hours a week. Gives time to focus on family, friends and other activities outside of work. I don't think that fact really hurts the program, and the residents were well trained and knowledgable - and very happy. Great program, looking for residents who have a fun personality.

Program: Indiana University

# of Applicants: 7

Interview day structure: No dinner or event night before. Started with light breakfast and program overview by the PD. Mostly talked about the city of Indianapolis. Had 4-5 interviews. Driving tour in PD's van. Lunch was cool at restaurant on a lake/pond. Then tour of stand alone rehab hospital.

Residents: Very happy to be at IU. Didn't really make a strong relationship with any of them, but all make it sound happy to be there. Probably had about 6-8 show up at lunch.

Programs directors: PD was very involved in the interview day and drove us around in his van.

Comments: There has already been good reviews of this program in prior years, so please read those as well. Not much has changed. Its a nice program and I think anyone would be happy to train there, however I didn't feel like the program had anything to really distinguish itself. Unlike other reviewers, I thought the van tour was awkward. I was stuffed in the back seat and had no a/c in a hot van. They focused all of their marketing on telling us how absolutely great Indianapolis is - "Indianapolis has the best food, culture, sporting events, and is the best city in the world." I heard them say that over and over so many times it kind of became a joke to me. I wish they were focused on selling the training more instead of the city because they have a great training program. Also, several key faculty all left recently for various reasons - probably not a big deal and they will get replaced with good people soon..

Last edited:
Program: MC Wisconsin

# of Applicants: ~ 8-10

Dinner: Night before had a welcome reception at a local hotel. Was more of a cocktail hour with appetizers and drinks. This turned out to be a really good idea and I was able to have good conversations with everyone present. Lots of faculty and residents showed up for this and we had a good time.

Interview day structure: Morning welcome and overview. Interviews followed by a tour. Lunch was at the Brewer's stadium TGIF's and could look out onto the field. Had van tour of the city with some guy who told pretty good stories. Have the potential to interview with the preliminary IM program on the same day if you get an invitation (I think 4 of us stayed).

# of interviews + w/who?: 4 30 minute interviews. Most knew at least a little bit about my application. No pimp questions. Thought I connected good with the faculty during my interviews.

Residents: Fun and seemed to know each other very well. PGY-2 year is probably more work than some programs. Residents were happy to be there.

Best Features: Spasticity management was their big stand out point, and they claim they are probably trained as well as any other program in the county. Otherwise had a good balance of inpatient and outpatient exposure. Good salary with PGY-2 at $58,400. Was able to interview with their preliminary IM program on the same day after we wrapped up the PM&R program. I will say that their preliminary IM program seems like a good one, albeit will work hard during your PGY-1 year.

Any negatives: Milwaukee has some rough areas, like any big city. Can't really think of anything else. I kinda find it hard to really distinguish anything else major about the PM&R program except for spasticity management. Long winters.

Anything else: Was able to spend 2 days just outside of Milwaukee. I really enjoyed my time there, and the city is close to many outdoor recreational activities. I think anyone would be happy to get accepted into this program.

Last edited:
Okay, here are the rest of my interviews. I hope that these may help someone out next year or to help make a decision on where to interview at.

About me: Non-traditional DO student. Main interest is in outpatient general PM&R. I applied to 38 programs, invited to 18, interviewed at 11, rejected from 6, and never heard anything from 14. Only got 2 late-interview invitations from people canceling their interviews. I was able to attend one, however, regretfully, the second was at Mayo and I wasn't able to attend. Passed all my board exams on first attempt. Above average COMLEX step 1 and really good step 2 score. Did not take USMLE.

Advise to applicants: Have your application completely finalized and ready to submit as soon as ERAS opens. Saw too many people waiting on a PM&R letter or something else that delayed or cost them getting interviews. Have a way to check invitations during the day on rotations (I had to buy a new phone), and have a goal to reply back to invites as soon as you get them otherwise you may miss out. Recommend doing at least 2 4-week PM&R away rotations – this gives you a ton to talk about during your interviews. I did meet some people on the interview trail who had only done 1 home PM&R rotation and I just didn’t think it was enough.

For DO students, each year the field is getting more competitive. If you want to go to a big-shot program, you probably need to rotate there or just have an outstanding application with publications. However, although this specialty has been very DO friendly, I think as more MD’s are applying, less DO’s will be getting a residency spot each year. This makes it more competitive to be a DO and you really need to work hard to have a great application and do well on away rotations.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Program: University of Kentucky

# of Applicants: ~6-8

Comments: Pretty much the same as people have said before. Tough intern year that is basically a prelim surgery year. No MICU experience during intern year. The PD was a great man and very passionate about the program. He has been doing it for many years and is dedicated to the residents. One attending that I interviewed with seemed completely miserable and was more interested in answering her pager than talking to me. Had an extremely long tour, which was the longest I had been on during my interviews. Only met maybe 3 residents on interview day. They all said that the program was really good and kept saying that intern year was really good. However, I had a hard time believing them, and was wondering if they were hiding the residents. People driving in Lexington are insane.

Program: Cleveland Clinic

# of Applicants: ~8 or 10

Interview day: Provided a beautiful hotel room the night prior at the Clinic campus. The program overview was with the PD – he showed us some youtube videos. Next were 4 15 minute interviews – no one I interviewed with had read my application. Next was a lunch and a tour of the clinic.

Call schedule: No call ever.

Best Features: Brand new program and looking for guinea pigs. Ability to train with Cleveland clinic faculty. Didactics will be with Case Western. Great hotel room the night before.

Any negatives: Possible lack of responsibilities as the PM&R dept is fully staffed already. Residents are just there to learn. I see having no call as a bad thing.

Anything else: The only program I regretted to interview at. Honestly wanted to leave early as I quickly lost any interest in ranking the program. The interview day started off bad as they weren’t ready for us and they had us just sit around for a while and twiddle our thumbs. PD came in and just showed some youtube videos and barely gave any information about the program. I learned more about why all the walls are painted white than anything about the program. No one I talked to really seemed excited about the program, and couldn’t give me any specifics about why the program would be so great. “The program will be great because we are Cleveland Clinic” was said so many times. Maybe it's a good place for more narcissistic personalities, and if you’re satisfied telling everyone that you trained at the clinic, then its probably a great place. Otherwise, if you’re looking for more objective measures in evaluating the potential of the program, then probably not a good fit for you.

Program: Marianjoy

# of Applicants: ~6

Interview day structure: Light breakfast and coffee followed by program orientation. They interview 2 students at a time and then rotate. The rest of us sit in with the resident’s didactics until called to interview. I had to sit through over 2 hours of lecture before my interview. Next was lunch at the cafeteria and then a walking tour to finish up the day.

# of interviews + w/who?: Will have 2 30 minutes interviews: one with PD and one with the chief resident. I found it hard to connect with either of them. The interview with the PD was basically him talking about random things and I didn’t really say much. Basically said to just email him if I was really interested in the program, otherwise they don’t know whom to rank high.

Residents: Diverse mix. Were fairly energetic and seemed to like the program overall. I found it hard to really connect with them or to really get a good sense of how they felt about their training.

Programs directors: I believe current PD will be retiring soon.

Call schedule: In house call.

Best Features: Stand alone rehab hospital in suburban area outside of Chicago. Good for families. The hospital had a lot of property and had some recently renovated areas. Good inpatient training. Recommend a strong intern year prior to starting.

Any negatives: Felt like they really didn’t care that we were there on interview day.

Program: Michigan State University

Comments: If you do a rotation here they offer you a phone interview in January. Was less than a 5 minute long phone call with some of the attending and residents, however I don’t have any specifics about the actual interview day. I will say that the program is really strong, and the residents are very well trained and competent. You will have to work hard here, especially on the inpatient side. The attendings expect a lot from the residents, and sometimes it can be very stressful. The residents told me that you will work 80 hours a week for 4 years here. Very DO strong, and MD’s are required to learn some basics of manipulative medicine. Sparrow hospital is newly renovated and the rehab unit is extremely nice. They also have a relationship with maryfreebed. Overall a great program, but one of the harder working ones. East Lansing isn’t the best area to live in.

Program: Case Western – made us sign waivers that we will not discuss interview day. Seems like a good program and residents happy to be there. Not going to say anything else…

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Interviewed at RIC, Mayo, UPMC, Carolinas, Spaulding, UWash, Stanford, VCU, Emory, Hopkins, UT Austin, Sinai.

If you want to know about them or my opinion on them feel free (or PM me). As DMB mentioned, it is a lot to type and most is unchanged from previous posts.

MD applicant, top 30 school, ~+1 SD step 1, research, 1 away, etc etc etc...

Sorry to next year's class, that this has been so light compared to previous years. I was working on my contribution but only got through about 9 before burning out.

Program: Temple / Moss

# of Applicants: 12ish?

Interview day structure:

Pre-interview drinks and apps at a bar in Center City. Nice place, they rent out the whole back room so there’s plenty of space and seclusion. Was a pretty chill night, lots of beer and nachos/wings/hummus to go around. Residents seemed happy and forthcoming about any questions.

Longest interview day of any program I interviewed at, I think. Starts 7AM at Temple Hospital, carpool with residents to Moss. Sit in on morning lectures with the residents, after which you can mingle with them and talk some more. Split into two groups - half went on a tour and the other half interviewed, then switch. Next, carpooled back to Temple for a noon presentation by the PD. Again with the interview and tour split. Left around 4:30PM I think.

2 interviews at Moss with Moss faculty, 2 at Temple with Temple faculty, 1 brief casual interview with the chair. I think everyone interviewed with the PD or APD.

Residents:

Used to be 9 per class, now moving to 8 per class and only took 7 in 2015-16 cycle to compensate. Mostly guys but supposedly they took a lot of girls in 2014-15 and 2015-16 so it may balance out. Very very “bro” atmosphere, residents are very nice but male-dominated at the time and had this very clear frat vibe. Not in a bad way, just different.

Programs directors:

I interviewed with the PD (Cruz) who went full poker face the whole interview, hard to read him. Spoke to others who interviewed with him and got the same impression. He’s proud of Temple (first PM&R residency in the country) and advocates for it, but seems kind of intense.

Fellowships offered:

Not sure

Call schedule:

Bottom-heavy, don’t recall specifics

Best Features:

Large program, strong TBI (Moss is model TBI center), good collegiality with other Philly programs, Philly itself is a nice city. Seems to have a big alumni network which may help with finding a job/fellowship.

Any negatives:

TUH is in the hood, plain and simple. Residents even said that part of North Philly is unsafe after dark, once you get >1 block away from the hospital. Moss is a bit of a drive outside of Philly, and some of their outpatient sites are also kind of far.

Anything else:

Program: Hofstra-NSLIJ (Northwell)

# of Applicants: 8-10

Interview day structure:

Starts in the morning with breakfast and presentations from the chair and PD. Then 2 interviews, including 1 with PD. Residents come for noon lecture, you sit through that and then have lunch with them. Optional tour at the end, no one took them up on it. Left around 2ish.

# of interviews + w/who?: 2 total, 1 faculty and 1 PD

Residents:

Typical PM&R residents - laid-back, relaxed, happy, outgoing. Got a bit of a “too chill” vibe from the chiefs, didn’t seem super inspired.

Programs directors:

Shatzer is extremely enthusiastic and energetic, clearly he and Stein (chair) want to make Hofstra a player amongst the NYC area programs. His enthusiasm was definitely infectious.

Fellowships offered:

Unsure

Call schedule:

Unsure

Best Features:

Fantastic salary ($68k PGY2), fairly livable location in eastern Long Island, most sites are fairly close together, residents seemed pleased with their education and training.

Any negatives:

Not a big name, residents don’t seem inspired to be leaders in the field (something I care about), just overall got a middle-of-the-road feel apart from the PD and chair’s enthusiasm.

Anything else:

Program: NYP Columbia-Cornell

# of Applicants: 8-10?

Interview day structure:

Whole interview day is at Cornell campus. Start in AM with breakfast, presentation from chief and PD, then hang out with residents who are at Cornell. Break up for tours/interview, lunch, housing tour, done.

5 interviews, including PD. Faculty from all affiliate sites participate.

Residents:

8 per year. Fun group, mostly northeastern types, single, wanted to live in the city. Very nice and forthcoming, but only got to interact with the 3-4 that were on the Cornell campus.

Programs directors:

Visco, young guy but very motivated. Knows where his program’s strengths (MSK, pain, cancer) and weaknesses (SCI, TBI) are and wants to make it more well-rounded.

Fellowships offered:

ACGME and non-ACGME pain, sports, peds, palliative, cancer

Call schedule:

Very complex, based on what year and site you’re at. Residents seem to figure it out though

Best Features:

Big city, big name, great affiliations (MSKCC and HSS!), solid outpatient and pain exposure, good peds, great fellowship placements

Any negatives:

NYC is expensive, inpatient is quite weak, getting between sites is a pain

Anything else:

Program: Penn

# of Applicants: 20? Largest interview group by far

Interview day structure:

Best pre-interview event - they rent out a bowling alley in Philly and it’s a whole night of bowling, pizza, wings, and beer. Lots of time to talk with residents, even PGY1’s from categorical track showed up.

Interview day is at PIRM (super nice building in Rittenhouse), starts with breakfast and presentations, then several interviews and a tour.

# of interviews + w/who?: 1 with chief resident (structured interview, fixed questions), 1 with PD/APD, 2 with other faculty

Residents:

Again, typical PM&R crowd (see Hofstra). Seemed to be from all over, several said the Penn name was a big reason they came.

Programs directors:

Good presentation, knows Penn’s position among the Philly programs (weakest one) but wants PM&R to be an integral part of Penn’s expansion. UPHS is expanding all over the place and he sees PM&R being involved a lot more. Goal is to make Penn PM&R a player rather than riding the Penn name.

Fellowships offered:

Several offered in house, don’t recall specifics

Call schedule:

Unsure

Best Features:

Big name (at least for those that don’t know PM&R programs), big-name sites (HUP, CHOP), inpatient peds, hiring from within for fellowships and jobs as Penn buys more hospitals

Any negatives:

3rd out of 3 Philly programs, not a big name inside PM&R, not as good inpatient as Jeff/Temple, some residents seem to be there for the name appeal

Anything else:

Program: Ohio State

# of Applicants: 8

Interview day structure:

Pre-interview at a nice downtown Columbus restaurant. None of the residents got drinks (weird to me), but they were all friendly and easygoing.

Interview day starts at Dodd Hall (inpatient rehab) with breakfast and presentations. Tour of Wexner campus, interviews, depart. Chief resident was our point guy and spent a lot of time talking about the program, Columbus, etc.

3 faculty interviews, plus PD (Colachis).

Residents:

From all over, but mostly midwest/Ohio natives. Again, typical PM&R and didn’t have that leadership/drive I was looking for.

Programs directors:

Colachis is the best PD interview I had. He thoroughly reads your ENTIRE file and spends half the interview telling you about your experiences, background, history, etc. Clearly very interested in getting to know his applicants, which is a nice change from other places where faculty haven’t even read your file. Great PD and wants the program to go places.

Fellowships offered:

Unsure

Call schedule:

Unsure

Best Features:

Model TBI center, good peds and cancer exposure, low cost of living

Any negatives:

College town, not much happening in the area, not a fan of the midwest personally, and program seemed good but not top-level.

Anything else:

Program: Carolinas Medical Center

# of Applicants: 8-10

Interview day structure:

CMC pays for your stay at a Charlotte hotel (next to NASCAR hall of fame) the night before, first sign they have money.

Pre-interview dinner at a decently upscale Charlotte restaurant - second sign that CMC has lots of money was when a resident said “get whatever you want, we can go to $1500 without getting in trouble”. This was for <15 people in total. Residents seemed pretty chill, some were more talkative than others, almost all southern.

Interview day almost entirely at CMC PM&R. Start with breakfast and program overview, small presentation by PD (Nguyen), then split for tours/interviews. Finished up in early afternoon, last thing I saw was CMC itself, complete with marble floors and a concierge rivaling upscale hotels (third sign they have money).

3 faculty and 1 with PD

Residents:

Super laid-back, relaxed, mostly southern. Again, seemed like they just wanted to finish residency and open up shop somewhere. Most were married (southern trend, I found).

Programs directors:

Nguyen is a pretty intense guy. Residents warned us the night before about his standard “curveball” question - can’t remember what it was exactly, but the warning helped. Talked up how big CMC is (covers both Carolinas and expanding into neighboring states) and how CMC PM&R has a huge catchment. Wants to regain model TBI status.

Fellowships offered:

Unsure

Call schedule:

Unsure

Best Features:

Charlotte is an awesome southern city - just big enough to be fun without being too crazy big. CMC gets huge volume (100+ beds, huge catchment area) so you see a lot of stuff. No overnight call I believe, can moonlight for admissions after 5PM.

Any negatives:

Lost model TBI designation, residents said outpatient isn’t very strong, again the residents don’t seem to have bigger aspirations than just finishing residency and getting a job.

Anything else:

Program: Harvard / Spaulding

# of Applicants: 12ish

Interview day structure:

Start at SRH, very strategically timed so you see the sunrise coming over Boston Harbor (beautiful view) from the top-floor conference room. Presentation from chair (Zafonte) and PD (O’Connor), then split up for tour/interviews. Wrap up with lunch with the residents.

I think 5 total, including PD. 1 with chief resident, rest faculty.

Residents:

Motivated, energetic, love their program to the core, most felt lucky to be there. Think the world of O’Connor and Zafonte, and you get the sense they want to go places in PM&R.

Programs directors:

O’Connor is fantastic. Very self-assured but not arrogant, realizes what being at Harvard entails and wants his residents to be drivers in the field. Spoke very highly of the chair and faculty, and places an emphasis on getting the best residents and faculty.

Fellowships offered:

SCI, TBI, Pain

Call schedule:

Varies based on site. Residents said neuro at MGH is rough. No weekend overnight call.

Best Features:

My first “big time” program, and the difference is palpable. Model TBI, SCI, and burn. Well-resourced, SRH is brand new and gorgeous. Highly interested and motivated faculty, many leaders or to-be leaders in their field. Great exposure through the Harvard hospital sites. Boston is a great city, if expensive. Tons of research money, big name, great placements.

Any negatives:

Boston is really expensive! Sites are a bit far apart. Inpatient-heavy, mandatory neuro at MGH is difficult for most residents.

Anything else:

Program: Mount Sinai

# of Applicants: 10-12

Interview day structure:

Start with presentation from PD (Herrera), then morning didactics with residents. Split for tour and interviews, end with lunch with a few residents. Finished around 2PM.

3 total, including APD and PD

Residents:

Similar to NYP - young, single, happy to be in the city. Seem to hang out fairly often outside of work, get along really well. One resident bad-mouthed another local program, first and only resident I saw that did that. Left a somewhat bad taste.

Programs directors:

Herrera was the PD when I interviewed, but he is stepping down. Really goes to bat for his residents, and is a huge name in sports/pain. Residents said he will get on the phone with fellowship PD’s and personally pitch his residents to them. Fun guy, lots of jokes in my interview and easy to get along with. Also runs Sinai Beth Israel’s PM&R department and the Sinai sports fellowship.

Escalon was APD when I interviewed, but will be PD this year onwards. Kind of a foil to Herrera, a little more reserved, quiet, pleasant but not a big personality. Did his SCI fellowship at Sinai.

Fellowships offered:

PM&R-based sports and spine, SCI

Call schedule:

Unsure

Best Features:

Chair is a big name in sports (turned down offer to be Jets team physician), great location in NYC, shuttle to get between the 3 sites, model TBI center, good inpatient SCI and TBI

Any negatives:

NYC is expensive, not great peds exposure, seems outpatient-focused (may change with Escalon as PD)

Anything else:

Program: Baylor COM (Houston)

# of Applicants: 16-20ish (2nd biggest group)

Interview day structure: Started at Baylor Clinic conference room with breakfast and speeches from chair and PD, then went upstairs to outpatient offices for interviews/tours. Tours were in a fancy limo bus since Texas Medical Center is as big as a small city. See most places from the outside only, went inside TIRR. Come back for lunch with the residents and PD, who we did a Q/A session with as well.

# of interviews + w/who?: 3 real interviews (2 residents, 1 faculty) plus a “group” interview with the PD and half the interviewees. Was more of a Q/A session about the program, UTH alliance ending, how is Houston, etc.

Residents: Was a gigantic program during the UTH-Baylor alliance, now just a big program (8/yr). Residents seemed excited to be at a “big time” program, many acknowledged that TIRR months are rough but very educational. PGY4 class was basically all outpatient (6/7 matched ACGME pain or sports) but PGY3 said her class is more inpatient so it varies. All of them love Houston for different reasons.

Programs directors: Harrell - young guy (finished residency 2006), well-liked by the residents, very open and honest during the “group interview” about the UTH-Baylor breakup and where Baylor will be going forward (he’s very optimistic as Baylor has more $$$).

Fellowships offered:

TBI, SCI, Peds

Call schedule:

Varies based on site, TIRR calls are 24hr in-house and residents said they can be rough sometimes

Best Features:

“Big name” program with huge site variety, TIRR is elite (like RIC or Kessler), great fellowship placements, young and energized PD, lots of residents (plus for me), Houston is great and low COL

Any negatives:

TIRR calls are 24hr in-house and intense, seems to be inpatient-heavy, no elective time, all different sites means you need like 10 ID cards, Houston gets really humid in the summer

Anything else:

Program: Montefiore-Einstein

# of Applicants: 8?

Interview day structure:

Breakfast and presentation from chief resident, brief and informal speech by PD, 2 interviews, lunch, dismissed. No interview structure per se, interviewers just took people as they were available.

# of interviews + w/who?: 5 interviews - 3 faculty, 1 chief resident, 1 PD

Residents:

Only met the chief who gave the presentation, which was odd. Didn’t meet any other residents.

Programs directors:

Very honest guy, probably the most honest PD I met. Knows that his program isn’t competitive with the big NYC programs, but wants to make moves

Fellowships offered:

Unsure

Call schedule:

Unsure

Best Features:

Only thing that stood out is subsidized housing in the Bronx which is quite cheap

Any negatives:

PD perhaps too honest? Told me straight up he expected to lose me to [a Super-6 program]. Not exactly the confidence you'd expect from a PD trying to sell you on his program.

Anything else: