2015-2016 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School Name: Nova Southeastern University
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/27/2016
Degree: PsyD
Type: Clinical
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 3/11/2016
Additional Info: full day interview

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from Harvard clinical? If you have can you post your POI
default_smile.png

I had a skype interview w my POI for Clinical Science, but nothing in three weeks, and nothing about an in-person visit. Do they even have an official visitor's day?

Has anyone heard back from university of north Texas counseling psych post interview?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley? (Clinical) It's my top choice, we're one day past the projected "we hope to let people know" and I am freaking right out.

Has anyone heard from UC Berkeley? (Clinical) It's my top choice, we're one day past the projected "we hope to let people know" and I am freaking right out.
Yes. Unofficial email on Feb. 1, official email Feb. 3. Best of luck to you.

I had a skype interview w my POI for Clinical Science, but nothing in three weeks, and nothing about an in-person visit. Do they even have an official visitor's day?
I'm not sure if I should reach out to my POI, I have a feeling the silence is funding-related, but I could be very wrong...any other Harvard unofficial(email/skype/phone) interviewees out there who bit the bullet and reached out to their POI this past week?

I just called around to the programs I haven't heard anything from and thought some of you might want to know what I found out. Here's the info I gathered (all clinical programs):

-George Mason said interview invites have been extended and interviews have been conducted but the woman I spoke with was unsure if more invitations would go out
-University of Louisville said all invitations have been extended
-Rutgers PhD said first round of invites went out and they're unsure if a second round will go follow
-University of MN said all of their invitations have been extended

Last edited:
Wait listed for Syracuse clinical! Ecstatic! This is my first choice and I am SO CLOSE to being in! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Wait listed for Syracuse clinical! Ecstatic! This is my first choice and I am SO CLOSE to being in! :)

Wait listed here too! Do you mind telling me if you interviewed there? I didn't have an interview, but I've been told that they don't always interview everyone...

I reached out and my POI said everyone is reading applications except one POI has reached out. Whos your POI?

I'm not sure if I should reach out to my POI, I have a feeling the silence is funding-related, but I could be very wrong...any other Harvard unofficial(email/skype/phone) interviewees out there who bit the bullet and reached out to their POI this past week?

I just called around to the programs I haven't heard anything from and thought some of you might want to know what I found out. Here's the info I gathered (all clinical programs):

-George Mason said interview invites have been extended and interviews have been conducted but the woman I spoke with was unsure if more invitations would go out
-University of Louisville said all invitations have been extended
-Rutgers PhD said first round of invites went out and they're unsure if a second round will go follow
-University of MN said all of their invitations have been extended

For U of MN -- did they say all invitations were extended or accepted? I'm really really really hoping not the latter!

For U of MN -- did they say all invitations were extended or accepted? I'm really really really hoping not the latter!

The lady I spoke with said all invitations have been sent out and left it at that. I think she said that they were going to let everyone know their decisions within the next few weeks. She gave no indication of a second round of interviews.

Yes. Unofficial email on Feb. 1, official email Feb. 3. Best of luck to you.
Thanks for the info. I got a 99% no. I'm essentially waitlisted, I think.

So much for raising my first kid near my sister and cousin. ;_; So close!

Members don't see this ad :)
I reached out and my POI said everyone is reading applications except one POI has reached out. Whos your POI?
Nobody wants to say their POI publicly, but mine also reached out for skype interview, but I haven't heard back. Finally wrote an email, but still nothing 4 days later. If anyone else has any intel, do keep us posted!

Sorry for posting late! I meant to, but have been swamped with other things. :)

School Name:
University of Wyoming
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/21/2016
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Notified via: Phone
Interview Date: 2/21-2/23

The lady I spoke with said all invitations have been sent out and left it at that. I think she said that they were going to let everyone know their decisions within the next few weeks. She gave no indication of a second round of interviews.

Thanks for the heads up -- I'm on the wait-list and trying to gauge the odds of my getting in.

What are the chances of being admitted to a clinical phd program without having an interview? Is this possible? Also, how do youfind out if you're waitlisted, have you contacted the schools via email or phone? Thanks.

i found out the one of the POIs at catholic isn't able to take a student after posting on the website that she probably would be -- annoying but @ least it wasn't a rejection because of credentials!

Hi everyone, quick question --

Would you advise emailing your POI before your interview? I have not emailed him yet, but I was offered an interview and I would like to touch base with him before. Thoughts?

Hi everyone, quick question --

Would you advise emailing your POI before your interview? I have not emailed him yet, but I was offered an interview and I would like to touch base with him before. Thoughts?

What do you need to talk about with them? Only one POI for my interviews called me to see if I had any questions, but they ended up just telling me how the day would go. If you confirmed that you're going to the interview, then your POI is aware and happy that you'll be there. Unless you have something important to tell or ask them, I don't see why it's necessary to do so. You won't be looked down upon for not contacting them before meeting them on interview day.

What are the chances of being admitted to a clinical phd program without having an interview? Is this possible? Also, how do youfind out if you're waitlisted, have you contacted the schools via email or phone? Thanks.

There are a few schools that make offers without doing in-person interviews (like U of Illinois at Urbana-Champagne), but their websites usually state what that process is like. Otherwise, it's very rare to get an offer without an interview. In regards to wait lists, occasionally it will show up on the application portal, but the majority of the time, you receive a wait list status after interviewing and not being a first choice but are still being considered as an alternate in case the first offer is declined. In those cases, the department either notifies you on their own accord, or you can ask for the status of your application post-interview.

i found out the one of the POIs at catholic isn't able to take a student after posting on the website that she probably would be -- annoying but @ least it wasn't a rejection because of credentials!
Which professor?

If I haven't heard a yes or a no from clinical psyd programs does that mean I am waitlisted or is it a better chance that they just haven't sent out the rejection letters yet?

How long after interview can you expect to hear back about acceptance or rejections? Thanks

How long after interview can you expect to hear back about acceptance or rejections? Thanks
It can really vary depending on the program! I got an offer about 1.5 weeks after my interview. I also haven't heard a peep from one particular program but know through a fellow applicant that she got the offer from the same POI, so I'm likely no longer in the running there. A friend of mine/fellow applicant heard from two other programs - 3 days after her interview at one, 1.5 weeks after her interview at the other. Sometimes checking the program in question's past history on TGC can help give you a general idea, but not always since it can vary depending on the POI and sometimes there just aren't enough results reported that can help you discern any sort of pattern.

I agree with what AllTheCats says, and also want to note that it will depend on where you are in the rankings. For example, at my program we interview on a Friday, decisions are made the following Monday, and the POIs send out invitations that day. If you're the top choice, you'll hear right away (first business day after your interview), but if you're not, you won't hear until the top choice turns down the offer. We generally don't tell folks they are on a waitlist, so no one knows that they weren't top choice when they accept an offer in the hopes that it helps lessen impostor syndrome. :)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone heard from Harvard yet?
I contacted my POI last night and he replied to tell me that due to large number of grad students he currently has and departmental funding allotment he won't have a slot to offer a student this year. Hope this helps, is a bit crushing.

I contacted my POI last night and he replied to tell me that due to large number of grad students he currently has and departmental funding allotment he won't have a slot to offer a student this year. Hope this helps, is a bit crushing.
Thanks for the update!!

Anyone hear from UMBC Clinical as far as a decision? If so can you PM your POI please?

That's really not fair - did you contact him before application deadlines to ask if he was taking a new student for the Fall 2016 term?

Some of the funding decisions in departments come well after application deadlines. Gonna have to take that one up with state higher education funding and the higher ups at the department level.
In my free time :)

Has anyone heard from the University of Delaware or University of Kansas?

I heard back from U of Kansas, it was a 'waitlist'. I haven't seen any other admit/rejections/waitlists posted to gradcafe I don't think, but recommend checking there.

The University of Delaware made their final admissions decisions back on February 2. So unless you're waiting for a waitlist decision, there isn't any more news to be had. Sorry. :/

Has anyone heard from Georgia State Counseling Psychology post-interview?

Is there an official acceptance thread since this is technically for interviews?

What about VCU Counseling Psych? Anyone heard from there?

Rejected from George Mason University. Just another rejection for the pile...:(

Anything from LaSalle post-interview? They said they would send out offers by the end of this week.