2015-2016 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from U of Memphis? I noticed previous years that invites went out around this time but I haven't seen anyone post. Is anyone else waiting to hear?

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone heard from U of Memphis? I noticed previous years that invites went out around this time but I haven't seen anyone post. Is anyone else waiting to hear?

I applied there and haven't heard anything. They probably haven't sent anything out yet.

School Name: Michigan State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/20/2015

Type: Clinical
Notified via:Email
Interview Date: 2/8

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Didn't expect anyone to hear on a weekend day! Congrats :)

Reactions: 1 user
School Name: University of Kentucky
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/21/2015
Degree
: PhD
Notified via: Email
Interview Date: Jan. 28-29
Additional Info: lodging provided by graduate students, informal dinner reception on 1/28

School Name: University of Kentucky
Degree
Interview Date: Jan. 28-29
Additional Info: lodging provided by graduate students, informal dinner reception on 1/28

Are you willing to PM your POI? :)

School Name: Wayne State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/21/15
Degree: PhD
Type: Experimental (Social)
Track: NA
Interview Date: Either 1/4 or 1/5 via Skype
Additional Info:

People are posting about interviews from certain schools I applied to but I haven't been rejected yet. Should I assume rejection or do they always send out rejection emails?

Schools sometimes release notifications across different days. Especially if POIs are the ones contacting applicants, they may not all have time to contact applicants on the same day. Best not to assume anything than assume you're rejected :)

People are posting about interviews from certain schools I applied to but I haven't been rejected yet. Should I assume rejection or do they always send out rejection emails?

Has anyone heard from the university of Tulsa yet?

I'd be happy to speak with anyone who got an invite to the UAlbany counseling psychology program.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So just a random observation about this particular program's interviews. When I interviewed there (2 cycles ago), the interviews were all group interviews with about three students and a faculty member. I HATED this and thought it basically rewarded applicants who are were all "oh! oh! look at me! I'm special!" and not applicants with actual experience and fit. Which isn't to slam the actual program, but just be aware and that you may need to force yourself to speak up as much as possible and prepare yourself accordingly.

I am somewhat reserved and was offered admission to this program. Twice. Even though group interviews sounded intimidating to me, I actually enjoyed them. I really liked hearing other people's experiences and getting a chance to meet people that I might end up being in a cohort with. I didn't experience the interviews as competitive, but rather as an opportunity to learn from others.

It's not an option when I click your username. It also says you've limited who can view your profile--not sure if that's related.
Just click on my name and then click on Start a Conversation.

School Name: John Jay College of the City University of New York
Degree
Interview Date: 2/5/2016
Additional Info:
Grad students hosting reception the night before; housing with students available (limited basis); Skype/phone accommodations if physical visit impossible

Hi everyone. I was invited to interview at the University of Wisconsin today (I'll add the info below) but the email included information that my two POIs are both leaving. This was a generic email just letting interviewees know, but they were the faculty I wanted to meet and potentially work under. So now my question is, do I shell out the $600+ And hope I find a new POI or should I save my money and only attend interviews where my POI will be available to work under? They don't allow phone interviews. Thanks!!
School Name: University of Wisconsin, Madison
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/22/2015
Type: School
Interview Date: 1/22/2016
Additional Info: Meals provided - dinner with current student the night before, breakfast at welcome on morning of interview, lunch and dinner day of interview. Limited spaces to stay with students, phone interviews only available for extreme circumstances.

@Marylandgirl21 have you researched other faculty on the program's website? I don't think you need to visit to find out whether there are professors there you may be interested in. After all, you didn't visit (I assume) before you chose the first 2 POIs. I wouldn't sacrifice researching an area you don't have interest in just so you can attend a PhD program. I hope there are other professors doing research there that you're interested in!

Edited to add: that's an awful situation to be in :/ best of luck :)

Last edited:
School Name: Yale University
Notified via: Phone Call
Interview Date: 1/25/2016
Additional Info: School will cover plane ticket, arrive 1/24, all day interview on 1/25, leave 1/26. Social event night of 1/25. Most meals provided.

Congratulations! Could you possibly pm who your POI is? Also applied and nerves are high haha

@Marylandgirl21 have you researched other faculty on the program's website? I don't think you need to visit to find out whether there are professors there you may be interested in. After all, you didn't visit (I assume) before you chose the first 2 POIs. I wouldn't sacrifice researching an area you don't have interest in just so you can attend a PhD program. I hope there are other professors doing research there that you're interested in!

Edited to add: that's an awful situation to be in :/ best of luck :)

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm thankful I got an interview but there's no one else there that is doing research on what I'm passionate about. Here's hoping I get interviews at my other schools.

Thanks so much for your advice! I'm thankful I got an interview but there's no one else there that is doing research on what I'm passionate about. Here's hoping I get interviews at my other schools.
Aw man :( I think schools should refund app fees in situations like that. I really hope your other schools come through for you! This process is stressful enough without curveballs like that

UMass Amherst just emailed saying they are not taking new students for their school psych programs for the 2016-2017 school year

Not sure if this helps anyone or not but I applied for the clinical psychology PhD program at the university of Tulsa. I was notified via email of a rejection today. However, I don't think they are sending out rejections this early but they were nice enough to let me know as my husband received an unexpected time sensitive job offer out of state. So...I would think they have their applicants chosen ...as to whether they have contacted them for interview invites I have no idea. Best of luck to all of you! Now to hear from the university of Houston...

School Name: University of Tulsa
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/21/15
Notified via: Phone call
Interview Date: Jan 28 and 29th

School Name: Ohio University
Type: Clinical (Health Track)
Interview Date: 1/29 or 2/19

School Name: Pennsylvania State University
Interview Date: 2/12-2/13
Additional Info: Interview on Friday or Saturday. Current students provide housing and host events throughout weekend.

UMass Amherst just emailed saying they are not taking new students for their school psych programs for the 2016-2017 school year

Has anyone heard from UMass Amherst Clinical? I've been looking at previous years and can't get a good idea of when they typically notify applicants.

Has anyone heard from UCSB clinical? Seems like one person on TGC a but I'm wondering if all the POIs sent out emails at the same time. Seems like last year everyone had heard by this time...so I am starting to worry that I won't get an interview.

Hey! Did anyone else apply to/hear back from Miami Univiersity (OH)? I saw a couple on TGC and just wondered whether they were done extending invites or more will come after the holidays?

Does anyone know if University of Kentucky is done extending interview offers or if they still have more left?

Are the offers sent by the POIs, the DCT, the department, etc.

Does anyone know if University of Kentucky is done extending interview offers or if they still have more left?

Are the offers sent by the POIs, the DCT, the department, etc.
No idea on whether they are done extending interview offers, but I received an email from the director of graduate studies.

School Name: University of Iowa
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/28/2015
Interview Date: 2/6-2/8
Additional Info: The university will cover the cost of a hotel room and provide some funds for airfare.

Has anyone heard about University of Louisville Counseling Psychology program interview invitations being sent? In previous years they seem to have sent their invitations Mid-to-end of December.

School Name: Pennsylvania State University
Date Interview Invite Received:
12/21/2015
Interview Date: 2/12-2/13
Additional Info:
Interview on Friday or Saturday. Current students provide housing and host events throughout weekend.
Congrats!!!

Last edited:
School Name: University of Delaware
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/29/15
Track: developmental (though not an official track at UD)
Interview Date: 1/29/16 (there are also options for 2/1 and 2/5)
Additional Info: none yet, are slated to talk on the phone next week (week of 1/4/16) to talk further

Saw someone posted on TGC about contact from university of Memphis. Anyone else heard??
If that person is also on here would you mind PM-ing me your POI??

Thanks!!

From students of mine, I have heard about phone/skype interviews from Berkeley, Buffalo, and Rochester. All clinical.

Has anyone heard about University of Louisville Counseling Psychology program interview invitations being sent? In previous years they seem to have sent their invitations Mid-to-end of December.

Unfortunately, I believe they have already sent out invites, sorry =/

School Name: The University of Iowa
Interview Invite Received: 12/30/2015
Degree
Notified via: Email from POI
Interview Date: 2/6-2/8
Additional Info: Email from the POI. A graduate student representative will be in touch to assist with travel logistics.

School Name: University of Florida
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/2/2016
Type: Counseling
Interview Date: Phone interview on 1/4; will edit post to update if I learn about in-person interview date(s) in-person interview on Jan. 24-25 (arrive on the 24th, interviews all day on the 25th)

Happy new year, SDN. :)

Edit: Added in-person interview dates!

Last edited:
Hello,
I am new:)

Should I post my invites for non-clinical PhD's here too (developmental)? I applied to various programs (some clinical) because I am mostly interested in research.

Good luck everyone!

Hello,

Should I post my invites for non-clinical PhD's here too (developmental)? I applied to various programs (some clinical) because I am mostly interested in research.

Good luck everyone!

Absolutely!

Hello,

Good luck everyone!

Yes, if you do I'll just denote it under its own section. Currently I have clinical Phd, counseling PhD, school psychology and experimental (Social).

Congrats on the invite!

Happy New Year all,
As schools have mostly been closed for winter/holiday break I've laid low as well. Now that the first Monday of the year is upon us (who knew it'd be here so soon!) There were a handful of invites received and posted over the break-- congrats to you all-- and I expect many of you will be posting in the days and weeks to come so I'll get us squared away. Once posts are coming in regularly I'll be back to maintaining "the List"

Happy waiting!
(Insert cliche yet applicable platitude here: it is in the journey, not the destination)

School Name: LIU C.W. Post
Date Interview Invite Received: 1/4/2016
Degree: Psy.D.
Interview Date: 1/31/2016 & 2/8/2016
Additional Info: Group orientation, two individual interviews, Q & A, and tour

School Name: Palo Alto University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/22/2015
Interview Date: Offers two different session: 1/15-1/16 or 1/29-1/30 (personally chose the second option).

Waiting on a few more, good luck everyone! Happy New Year SDN