2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I had a good, relatively stress-free long weekend, but was up most of the night last night ruminating about possible outcomes. I'm prepared for unexpected emotions, but I think I've gotten to a place where if I match to any of my ranked sites I'll be able to feel good about it. Three of my sites would be disappointing because they don't provide the training I'd like, but they're all good quality despite not being in my niche area. If it's bad news, well... part of this process has to be experiencing whatever negative emotions come out of that. It is possible to be upset and also be ready to start working on phase II. So I'll just have to be both of those things!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
This waiting period was made to feel a lot better when I ran into some medical residents who told me they wait 2.5 MONTHS to get their match results. This has made the last few weeks (and the next 4 days) go pretty fast. Good luck to all!

Not sure who told you that and what type of med student they were, but the National Resident Matching Program that is the predominant route for allopathic residents has a rank deadline this year of 2/24 and official match day of 3/18 (although, they find out whether they matched or not, just not where, on 3/14). That would be about a 3-week wait. Osteopathic med students that go through the AOA match process have a 2.5 week wait from rank submission to match day. Those are not too dissimilar from our match process.

The other thing to remember to manage anxiety this week/emotions on Friday is it's only one year!

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure who told you that and what type of med student they were, but the National Resident Matching Program that is the predominant route for allopathic residents has a rank deadline this year of 2/24 and official match day of 3/18 (although, they find out whether they matched or not, just not where, on 3/14). That would be about a 3-week wait. Osteopathic med students that go through the AOA match process have a 2.5 week wait from rank submission to match day. Those are not too dissimilar from our match process.

i was thinking the same thing when i read it. maybe the med student was saying from when he/she finished interviews, which I know most of my med student friends were done in January for the most part with that part of the process. regardless, it's a similar process.

i feel i've been coping well and have come to a sense of peace regardless of what happens Friday. but last night, i had some serious stress dreams about running late/not making flights. maybe it's leftover anxiety from interviews. i'm running a group Friday afternoon, so hopefully by then any worries will be out of the way

those of you who have to work Friday morning, I wish you the best of luck. like others have said, practice mindfulness and know that you have already controlled what you can control and now you just move forward with whatever the result is. i'm looking at it as really good practice for real life. you'll have family stressors and other real life stressors that will pop up unexpectedly. this situation will help you see how you handle it and practice how to best control it for when you do have something come up down the line.

just 3 more days!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey Everyone,

Friday is coming up fast. I wasn't nervous until yesterday/today, but now I am kinda scared about what my email will say. I have a really big day on Friday at my prac filled with meetings and patient sessions, and am worried that if I get bad news first thing in the morning I will struggle to keep it together for the rest of my long day. Does anyone else have these worries about managing this Friday? What are some constructive solutions (not drinking, etc) people have come up with to get through a busy day and remain professionally centered in case the news is not pleasant?
I also have practicum on Friday. I initially thought that I wouldn't check my phone so that I wouldn't have mental intrusions, but I think that would lead to other intrusions (i.e., perseverating on the outcome instead of focusing on the patients). I also thought about taking the day off, but I really enjoy what I do in practicum and don't want to set myself up for a day of hibernating and self-pity.

Instead, I've developed a plan. I'm going to check it. If it's a good outcome, great. If not, I know what the next steps for Phase II are and am resigned to follow through if needed. The patients I'm working with on Friday need to have me mentally present. I will give myself approximately 5 minutes to feel bad before focusing on the patients' needs, which are more important. I can have a pity party later that day; however, if Phase II is on the table, there's more work to be done....I don't want to spend too much time focusing on the negatives to the point where I'm non-functional.

I also have practicum on Friday. I initially thought that I wouldn't check my phone so that I wouldn't have mental intrusions, but I think that would lead to other intrusions (i.e., perseverating on the outcome instead of focusing on the patients). I also thought about taking the day off, but I really enjoy what I do in practicum and don't want to set myself up for a day of hibernating and self-pity.

Instead, I've developed a plan. I'm going to check it. If it's a good outcome, great. If not, I know what the next steps for Phase II are and am resigned to follow through if needed. The patients I'm working with on Friday need to have me mentally present. I will give myself approximately 5 minutes to feel bad before focusing on the patients' needs, which are more important. I can have a pity party later that day; however, if Phase II is on the table, there's more work to be done....I don't want to spend too much time focusing on the negatives to the point where I'm non-functional.

I like your thinking. Something else to be aware of...I believe if we do match, the TD is meant to contact us Friday morning. I think they are allowed to start contacting us at 11AM EST, and this is why we supplied a phone number on the AAPI where we can be reached on Match Day. Thus, I think we all do need to check our e-mails, and expect a possible phone call from TD. I will also be at practicum, and am fortunate to feel comfortable enough with my current supervisor that I've talked through possible emotions on that day and how I might handle them at the hospital.

From Greg Keilin:

AFTER YOU RECEIVE YOUR MATCH RESULTS

Internship Training Directors and matched applicants should NOT contact each other prior to 11:00 am Eastern Time on Friday, February 19. This gives all participants sufficient time to receive their results. However, after that time, Training Directors and matched applicants are strongly encouraged (though not required) to contact each other by telephone as soon as possible in order to acknowledge the Match results. Applicants are reminded that they specified in their AAPI Online applications a telephone number where they could be reached by Training Directors between 11:00 am Eastern Time and 1:00 pm Eastern Time on Match Day (if you are unable to be at that number, your new Training Director will really appreciate your giving them a call soon after 11:00 am Eastern Time).

Reactions: 2 users
From Greg Keilin:

AFTER YOU RECEIVE YOUR MATCH RESULTS

Internship Training Directors and matched applicants should NOT contact each other prior to 11:00 am Eastern Time on Friday, February 19. This gives all participants sufficient time to receive their results. However, after that time, Training Directors and matched applicants are strongly encouraged (though not required) to contact each other by telephone as soon as possible in order to acknowledge the Match results. Applicants are reminded that they specified in their AAPI Online applications a telephone number where they could be reached by Training Directors between 11:00 am Eastern Time and 1:00 pm Eastern Time on Match Day (if you are unable to be at that number, your new Training Director will really appreciate your giving them a call soon after 11:00 am Eastern Time).
Thanks for the reminder - I forgot about this part. :)

Is it weird that I'm worried not so much about the match as how I'm going to carry out the result? While worried a bit about not matching or matching low, I'm more worried about how I'm going to move - financially, emotionally, etc. It seems so difficult.

Reactions: 4 users
Is it weird that I'm worried not so much about the match as how I'm going to carry out the result? While worried a bit about not matching or matching low, I'm more worried about how I'm going to move - financially, emotionally, etc. It seems so difficult.

Same here!

I've spent the past two weeks scouring CL and other sites, and I am now an expert on rental rates, neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. for 6 different cities across the country.

Reactions: 3 users

Understandable and not strange at all. I'm in a similar place, especially knowing my relationship will become long distance. But I keep reminding myself that thousands do it every year. ****, I did it for graduate school. It's just a year and it's going to be a great experience.

Reactions: 3 users
I've spent the past two weeks scouring CL and other sites, and I am now an expert on rental rates, neighborhoods, restaurants, etc. for 6 different cities across the country.
I've done the same but only for my top choices. But thanks for the idea. Should make the next couple days go a little faster.

Members don't see this ad :)

You are quite right. At least for me, I wasn't thinking about this. I was pretty sure I would match but only wondered to where. It was once I matched and the reality/logistics of things settled in, that I became a bit overwhelmed. I moved pretty much across country and had no idea how expensive it ended up being. Other thoughts I had - how much of our tiny stipend to spend on rent? What is a safe part of the city to live? How am I going to make this long distance move? And a million more.

BUT don't worry about that now. You are gonna have to move. So when match comes, enjoy matching for a bit. Have fun looking at random places you *could* live on Craigslist. Telling people you matched ... Knowing you are almost there at finally completing your PhD. Let reality sink in little later ;)

Tip: once I matched, I emailed current interns again about places to live :)

Last edited:

I had similar concerns as early as November! I think it may be useful to start a new thread dedicated these kinds of issues. Perhaps folks moving to the same general areas, or even programs, can reach out to one another.

What time on Friday are we notified by email?
Notification time is 10am EST, but folks have reported getting emails as early at 7:45am EST in prior years. Only two days to go. :)

Just two more sleeps. Melatonin and I have become good friends these past few weeks.

Not the most adaptive coping mechanism but...
504419.jpg

Reactions: 7 users
...or you can just focus all of your anxious energy into all of that work that you still have to do this week. Assessments, patients, dissertation, class assignments. :eek::D:p:arghh::yuck:

Reactions: 7 users
I haven't been able to get Diana Ross singing "you can't hurry love/ no, you just have to wait" out of my head for days. Honestly, it's pretty perfect :p

There I was indulging in comfort food when...

Attachments

• IMG_0198.JPG
    IMG_0198.JPG
    101.7 KB · Views: 118
Reactions: 9 users
I haven't been able to get Diana Ross singing "you can't hurry love/ no, you just have to wait" out of my head for days. Honestly, it's pretty perfect :p

"You can't hurry :android:DeSTRUCt-ANXiety-OMGOMG-:rage::rage:-EERRrrrR-*PantPant*:android: / no, you'll just have to wait!"

Good luck everyone! I am a Phase II survivor and am happy to report that I am doing so well and am so happy at internship. I've also had quite a few post-doc interviews by now. I hope you all match, but if you don't, what's important is how you take the news. There are many incredible internship sites that have to go through Phase II and who are as eager as you are to fill up their slots with great interns. I took the whole day off for match day and when I didn't match, I cried. I'm not going to lie. But then i reached out to my colleagues who did match, got copies of their cover letters, essays, and I really took a hard look at my application materials and edited them. I ended up having many many more interviews during Phase II and matched at a great internship site. I'm so happy here (despite missing home) and am looking forward to getting a post-doc back home.

For those of you who match, congratulations. I hope you relax, celebrate, and enjoy the moment. I also hope you are there to help and support your colleagues who did not match. I will never forget the kindness that my colleagues showed me, nor will I forget how much some of them helped me.

For those of you who don't match, I'm sorry. But, I hope you use your energy and push forward. It's not the end but only the beginning. I never applied to my internship site in Phase I, but am so happy i found it through Phase II. I have learned so much and it's opened many doors for me. You got this!! But don't forget to take care of yourself. I personally took off time, I took about a week off of externship. I didn't want to cancel my clients, but I needed to pull myself together and work hard on my applications. Good luck.

Reactions: 10 users
Hello Fellow Applicants...
I have a problem I wanted to bounce off you guys. Just this morning, I learned some very bad news about a site I ranked highly. I learned that they lied to me (over the phone, so I don't have this completely in writing/email, but I do have other "hints" about their lie in email). They lied about where they are in the APA accreditation cycle. They stated they submitted an application for APA accreditation, but I contacted APA and just heard back from them today - no application from this site has ever been received. With ranking deadlines coming up I choose to believe them and take them at their word that they had submitted an application. I ranked them 4th, which means I really may get them. I am scared now that I have signed myself up for a binding year-long training experience helmed by a lying TD who I have VERY bad feelings about. I thought about telling my TD, but she is really high up in APPIC and if I tell her I may have to go to this site anyway PLUS the site will now be in trouble which will slow down their accreditation process even further = now I really have ZERO chance of having completed an APA accredited Internship. I wonder if I match there if I really have to go - but that might slow down me for another year.

I have a problem I wanted to bounce off you guys. Just this morning, I learned some very bad news about a site I ranked highly. I learned that they lied to me (over the phone, so I don't have this completely in writing/email, but I do have other "hints" about their lie in email). They lied about where they are in the APA accreditation cycle. They stated they submitted an application for APA accreditation, but I contacted APA and just heard back from them today - no application from this site has ever been received. With ranking deadlines coming up I choose to believe them and take them at their word that they had submitted an application. I ranked them 4th, which means I really may get them. I am scared now that I have signed myself up for a binding year-long training experience helmed by a lying TD who I have VERY bad feelings about. I thought about telling my TD, but she is really high up in APPIC and if I tell her I may have to go to this site anyway PLUS the site will now be in trouble which will slow down their accreditation process even further = now I really have ZERO chance of having completed an APA accredited Internship. I wonder if I match there if I really have to go - but that might slow down me for another year.

What did the internship TD say specifically? There is no "application for APA accreditation." There are multiple filings, including a large self-study report (the largest piece), before site visit is requested.

What did they say specifically? There is no "application for APA accreditation." There are multiple filings, including a large self-study report, before site visit is requested.

Beyond this, I think it might be against APA and/or APPIC rules for a site to discuss their stage in the APA accreditation process other than to say that they aren't yet accredited.

that sucks!!!

If they lied about their accreditation standing, I think you have the right to say "wtf wait a minute" especially if they let on they were going to be APA accredited. It depends on your career goals, but if apa internship is important, you have to decide what's best!

I've heard of interns being told of rotations being offered and then not being offered once they started, but I feel this is completely different. that's BS on the site. We put so much time,effort, and resources (read $$$$$$) into this process and they really pull that?

Also could be a misunderstanding, site submitted app but a clerical error resulted in no app showing.

TD specifically said:
"If you apply to our program, you will have graduated from an accredited program."
"We have submitted the self-study."

I looked on APPIC's site and there is an Informal Complaint Process one is supposed to go through before submitting what they call a Formal Complaint. They say these complaints are confidential.

TD specifically said:
"If you apply to our program, you will have graduated from an accredited program."

I looked on APPIC's site and there is an Informal Complaint Process one is supposed to go through before submitting what they call a Formal Complaint. They say these complaints are confidential.
The Informal Complaint Process typically works very well and you could send them an inquiry describing the situation (and even not reveal the site name initially if you simply want to consult on what the procedural options would be for a student who matched). If getting more information would help with your stress level, it doesn't hurt to learn more by asking now.

TD specifically said:

This sounds like misinformation at best, and outright deception at worst. And, as I mentioned above, I believe those types of statements are against match policy. I would start the informal complaint process.

I have a problem I wanted to bounce off you guys. Just this morning, I learned some very bad news about a site I ranked highly. I learned that they lied to me (over the phone, so I don't have this completely in writing/email, but I do have other "hints" about their lie in email). They lied about where they are in the APA accreditation cycle. ....

I am very sorry to hear that you have this issue increasing your anxiety during an already highly stressful time. If it were me, I might wait until tomorrow to act on anything. It is too late to alter your rankings for Phase I. Your chances that you will match to sites one, two or three are really quite good; 82% of applicants match to one of their top three choices. http://www.appic.org/Match/MatchStatistics/MatchStatistics2015PhaseI.aspx
My advice would be...Take a deep breath, wait to see the results in the AM, and if you do match to site number 4, contact your TD immediately and develop a plan from there. As an aside (which may or may not apply), I was told at unaccredited VA sites that if one completed an internship there, one would have completed an accredited internship for the purposes of VA post-docs / employment only.

I would start the complaint process now. Even if you don't match there, that is an issue that APPIC needs to be aware of. What a pain- definitely a misleading (at very best) statement.

As an aside (which may or may not apply), I was told at unaccredited VA sites that if one completed an internship there, one would have completed an accredited internship for the purposes of VA post-docs / employment only.
Thats true in the sense that it keeps you open to VA post-docs and employment.

TD specifically said:

This is tricky. No site can guarantee that they will be granted APA accreditation, no matter how far along they are in the process. So a presently unaccredited site is just that, and you cannot assume (nor should they tell you) that they will be accredited. Not even sites currently acreditted can guarantee they will have they their accreditation renewed (although not being renewed is extremely unlikely and not generally something to worry about unless there are many red flags.) I don't think discussing accreditation status is against the rules (it could be) but stating that they will be accredited certainly is simply because they can't know that until the process is over. Either way, seems like a crappy place to be right now. Chances are you wont match there, but you could. It's possible APPIC won't let you back out of the contract if you do given that the site was listed as unaccredited on their site but it certainly is a a terrible thing for the TD to promise acreditation.

Check the accreditation status page, current as of February 8, to be sure that the APA person didn't make a mistake: http://www.apa.org/ed/accreditation/programs/initial-accred.aspx

On a different note: Happy Last Day Not Knowing What a Computer Program Has Decided About Our Lives, everyone!!!!!

Reactions: 14 users
On a different note: Happy Last Day Not Knowing What a Computer Program Has Decided About Our Lives, everyone!!!!!

Our results are out there somewhere, just waiting to be sent to us... It's an odd thought

Reactions: 6 users
What's everybody's game plan for the morning? Stay up all night staring at your inbox? Sleep until noon and pretend it's not match day? Conduct elaborate superstitious rituals?

I don't have anything to offer other than that what has already been shared, but just wanted to say I'm so sorry. What a tough spot to be in and how incredibly unfair and frustrating. :( Good luck to you! Chances are you will match at your top sites anyhow!

What's everybody's game plan for the morning? Stay up all night staring at your inbox? Sleep until noon and pretend it's not match day? Conduct elaborate superstitious rituals?

I was joking with a friend about how it'd be to sleep through the email only to be awakened by the phone call from the TD of a site. Like, "*snort*, oohhh, uh, hey . . . Um, who are you? I matched? Ah, yeah, cool . . ."

Most likely wake up early after another match-related dream, then wait for that email alert