2015-2016 APPIC Internship Interview Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Agreed, especially if you are interviewing in places where the weather might get in the way later on. Last year, my final interview got cancelled in late January due to blizzards. That said, I might also recommend scheduling your higher-ranked site interviews later on; you'll have worked through the beginning jitters and will have refined your answers to typical questions/case presos.

Grabbing December dates is a great suggestion if for no other reason than that it gives you more flexibility in January.

And having practice is great, although don't let not having any freak you out. It's obviously anecdotal, but my first interview was my #2 choice and the place where I ultimately matched.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
My advisor told me that you can over prepare for interviews as well. She has seen people that are just too well versed with their answers, and this comes off as being non-authentic.

Site name: Harvard/MGH
-Date notified: 11/9/15
-Invite or rejection: Invite
-Track (if applicable): Behavioral Medicine
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Personal email
-Interview date: 1/5/15 and 1/12/15
-Type of cookies you ate today and how many: 3 kinds of ice cream (that counts right)

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
thanks all, for your valuable advice. And I plan to count glasses of wine as well as cookies (and ice cream). Mmm.

One of my cohort mates said he got interviews for prisons in Springfield, MO and Petersburg(sp?) in Virginia I think.

He also got rejections from prisons in Tallahassee and Lexington.

No idea if personalized or mass.. I'll try and find out more.

Edit: invitations to complete the USAjobs thing, I believe.

Rush University Neuro (generalized email). Interview dates are: January 6-8 (Wednesday through Friday) and January 11-12 (Monday and Tuesday).

I know it's just a handful so far (and the BOP sites have to notify early) but does it seem like we have earlier notifications than the last couple of years? at least for some sites (MGH)?

Of people who have gone through interviews or are supervisors, do you recommend going on site visits at places that only conduct phone/Skype interviews? Does it make a difference how far away the site is? I noticed most of my sites explicitly stated that site visits or attendance at an Open House was not required, but I can't help but think I should try to visit all the places where I interview. Does it increase my chances of matching? Is it a waste of money if they don't take it into consideration? Thanks!

Of people who have gone through interviews or are supervisors, do you recommend going on site visits at places that only conduct phone/Skype interviews? Does it make a difference how far away the site is? I noticed most of my sites explicitly stated that site visits or attendance at an Open House was not required, but I can't help but think I should try to visit all the places where I interview. Does it increase my chances of matching? Is it a waste of money if they don't take it into consideration? Thanks!

It depends. When I went through this process two years ago, one of the sites I applied to had an open house (and only an open house, no interview or anything). The email said that only about 30 applicants were receiving an invitation to the open house, and that rankings were done independently of the open house (i.e., based on our application only). My thinking was that I would still like to see the site. In retrospect, that site was very far away and I could have saved some money. I did rank the site a bit higher than I would have if I had not seen the place. However, if the site gives you the option of an in person interview or a telephone/Skype interview, I would rather go in person. Telephone/Skype interviews can be a bit awkward, plus, you don't get to see the site. Additionally, I have heard of sites who do both an open house and an interview, I really don't know how important it is to attend the open house for the sites that do this. If the open house is the night prior to the interview or something like that, I would go.

Last edited by a moderator:
For BOP sites, has anyone completed the USAJOBS application? I was under the impression that it would be much longer, especially because one of the emails stated that it would take 2-4 hours. Is there a supplemental portion with additional questions, or is it just the couple of competency questions?

For BOP sites, has anyone completed the USAJOBS application? I was under the impression that it would be much longer, especially because one of the emails stated that it would take 2-4 hours. Is there a supplemental portion with additional questions, or is it just the couple of competency questions?
I remember from last year that it was super quick. I'm assuming if people were going to create resumes, etc. from scratch on the site, it'd take longer. It was like 15-20 minutes of navigating/uploading/answering questions for me.

Today was apparently a big day. I just got two interview invites:

-Site name: Southwest Consortium
-Date notified:
11/12/15
-Invite or rejection:
Invite
-Track (if applicable):
VA 143712
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone):
mass email
-Interview date:
January 13th or 20th

-Site name: Pittsburgh VA
-Date notified:
11/12/15
-Invite or rejection:
Invite
-Track (if applicable):
General track 154311
mass email
-Interview date:
Options for December 7th and 18th and January 4th and 19th

Members don't see this ad :)
I also would like to chime in that if you see an interview posted here, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get one if you didn't receive it the same day. Last year, a person in my program received an invitation to interview 3 weeks after someone else in our program received an invite to the same site.

I also would like to chime in that if you see an interview posted here, it doesn't necessarily mean you won't get one if you didn't receive it the same day. Last year, a person in my program received an invitation to interview 3 weeks after someone else in our program received an invite to the same site.
Yes, VERY important to calm the frenzy of worry. MANY sites do not offer interviews until they have reviewed all apps; others do a rolling process. And many sites are open for apps into December so will not do any interviews until January. It isn't over until it is over.

Reactions: 1 users
Any idea which track offered interviews for the Rutgers Behavioral Health Care internship? I think they consider applicants through a rolling process (at least for one of their tracks, anyway).

-Site name: Spectrum Health (#2309)
-Track (if applicable): N/A
-Invite or rejection: Invitation
-Date notified: 11/13/15
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone): Phone
-Interview date: Possibilities are 12/11, 12/14, 12/18, 12/21 - but they are trying to coordinate between applicants, so it isn't yet finalized
-Type of sweets you ate today and/or number of glasses of coffee/alcohol: 1 cup of coffee so far - but it's still early.

Reactions: 2 users
Any idea which track offered interviews for the Rutgers Behavioral Health Care internship? I think they consider applicants through a rolling process (at least for one of their tracks, anyway).
The person who notified me of this did not provide the track. However, I have sent a message to that person asking if they could provide the track. I'll keep you updated as to what they say.

The person who notified me of this did not provide the track. However, I have sent a message to that person asking if they could provide the track. I'll keep you updated as to what they say.
Thank you!!!

Thanks for your fantastic job managing this thread!

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like it is for the Severe Mental Illness track. I'll update this on the main list. :)

Looks like it is for the Severe Mental Illness track. I'll update this on the main list. :)
Yes - I agree with hamsterpants. Thank you so much, again, for doing this! You rock. :)

Last edited:
Yes, just got rejected.
-Site name Ut St Hopsital
-Track (if applicable) Adult Clinical Rotation
-Invite or rejection rejection
-Date notified 11/13 (ominous!)
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) I asume personal email, as an attached letter has my name in it.
-Interview date
-Type of sweets you ate today and/or number of glasses of coffee/alcohol none, on the keto diet :( does bacon count???

A fellow applicant asked me to post:
-Site name Children's Hospital of Minneapolis
-Track (if applicable) ? Child track
-Invite or rejection rejection
-Date notified 11/13
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) email

-Site name Utah State Hospital
-Track (if applicable) Adult Clinical Rotation
-Invite or rejection Invite
-Date notified 11/13
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) personal email
-Interview date: 12/7/2015

-Site name - Utah State Hospital
-Track (if applicable) - Adult Clinical Rotation
-Invite or rejection - Invite
-Date notified - 11/13/2015
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) - personal email
-Interview date - 12/7, 12/8, 12/9, 12/10
-Type of sweets you ate today and/or number of glasses of coffee/alcohol - a thermos full of coffee; a couple slices of cinnamon/sugar toast; apple 1 cup of apple cider

Do sites tend to send out interviews on the weekends, or do they primarily stick to weekdays?

If I recall correctly from prior years, some sites do send out invites on the weekends, a small number, but it definitely happens.

University of Chicago Adult Neuropsychology Interview dates 1/8, 1/15, 1/22, 1/29 (mass email)

Last edited:
When completing the usajobs application online for BOP jobs, I got through it to a place that asks for a "course syllabus" to be uploaded, but I am not sure what they are looking for. The job posting does not mention anything about a syllabus...Any help? Thanks!

Hi - Can anyone clarify about the invites from the University of Chicago? Is it adult neuro and peds neuro only that have been reported, or do either of those "adult" listings mean the adult/health track? Thanks!!

Hi - Can anyone clarify about the invites from the University of Chicago? Is it adult neuro and peds neuro only that have been reported, or do either of those "adult" listings mean the adult/health track? Thanks!!

From my understanding, it is just the neuropsychology track (at least that is what I posted--see above). Unless someone else has gotten an adult general, which I don't think they have.

In sum: just neuropsych peds and neuropsych adult.

Sorry for the confusion on the post. I was trying to save space, as there is a character limit on posts. They are both neuro tracks, one being child (pediatrics in parentheses) and adult neuro (adult in parentheses). I'm unfamiliar with this internship site, so I didn't realize there was also an adult/health track. I will edit the post and specify that they are both neuro. Sorry about that! Thanks for asking about it.

Thanks for the clarification! And for taking on this thread - all your hard work in keeping this all organized is SO appreciated!

When completing the usajobs application online for BOP jobs, I got through it to a place that asks for a "course syllabus" to be uploaded, but I am not sure what they are looking for. The job posting does not mention anything about a syllabus...Any help? Thanks!

I was confused by that as well. I did not upload anything for that. I included my resume, cover letter, enrollment verification, and graduate transcripts. Hope this helps...or that someone has a better response.

Don't know if the Match IDs from the above sites will get integrated to the list, so I'm putting it here in case it may be helpful to others!

1738 Brooke Army Medical Center / Department of Behavioral Medicine
1393 Center for Behavioral Medicine (formerly Western Missouri Mental Health Center) / Department of Psychiatry
1326 Boston University Medical Campus/The Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology / Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology
1390 Children's Mercy Kansas City / Division of Developmental and Behavioral Sciences; Section of Psychology
1503 Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center / O'Grady Residency in Psychology
1236 Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center / Behavioral Health
1407 Federal Correctional Complex - Butner, NC / Psychology Services
2169 Federal Correctional Complex - Petersburg, Virginia / Psychology
1722 Federal Medical Center, Devens / Psychology Services
1311 Federal Medical Center, Lexington / Psychology Services Department
1385 Federal Medical Center / Psychology Services Rochester, MN, USA
1783 Fulton State Hospital / Psychology
1329 Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital / Department of Psychiatry
1459 Long Island Jewish Medical Center -The Zucker Hillside Hospital / Psychological Services
1343 Malcolm Grow Medical Clinics and Surgery Center (USAF) / Mental Health Flight Joint Base Andrews, MD, USA
1493 MercyFirst / Psychology Internship Program
1133 Metropolitan Detention Center / Psychology Services Los Angeles, CA, USA
1543 VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System / Behavioral Health
1264 Rush University Medical Center / Department of Behavioral Sciences
1432 University Behavioral Health Care- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey / Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care
Spectrum health???
1400 St. Louis Psychology Internship Consortium / c/o Department of Psychology, 325 Stadler Hall
1266 The University of Chicago Medicine / Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neuroscience
1954 University of Kansas Medical Center / Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
1628 University of Wisconsin / Departments of Psychiatry, Orthopedics & Rehabilitation Medicine
1398 U. S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners / Psychology Department Springfield, MO, USA
1594 Utah State Hospital / Psychology Services
1589 Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center / Department of Behavioral Medicine
1183 Yale University School of Medicine / Psychology Section, Department of Psychiatry
118318 - CMHC: Hispanic BH Services
118315 - CMHC: Substance Abuse Services
Rejections:

1379 Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota / Psychological Services, 17-217 Minneapolis, MN, USA
1222 Federal Bureau of Prisons / Psychology Tallahassee, FL, USA
1575 Federal Correctional Institution / Psychology Services Department Fort Worth, TX, USA

Don't know if the Match IDs from the above sites will get integrated to the list, so I'm putting it here in case it may be helpful to others!

1738 Brooke Army Medical Center / Department of Behavioral Medicine
1393 Center for Behavioral Medicine (formerly Western Missouri Mental Health Center) / Department of Psychiatry
1326 Boston University Medical Campus/The Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology / Center for Multicultural Training in Psychology
1390 Children's Mercy Kansas City / Division of Developmental and Behavioral Sciences; Section of Psychology
1503 Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center / O'Grady Residency in Psychology
1236 Dwight David Eisenhower Army Medical Center / Behavioral Health
1407 Federal Correctional Complex - Butner, NC / Psychology Services
2169 Federal Correctional Complex - Petersburg, Virginia / Psychology
1722 Federal Medical Center, Devens / Psychology Services
1311 Federal Medical Center, Lexington / Psychology Services Department
1385 Federal Medical Center / Psychology Services Rochester, MN, USA
1783 Fulton State Hospital / Psychology
1329 Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital / Department of Psychiatry
1459 Long Island Jewish Medical Center -The Zucker Hillside Hospital / Psychological Services
1343 Malcolm Grow Medical Clinics and Surgery Center (USAF) / Mental Health Flight Joint Base Andrews, MD, USA
1493 MercyFirst / Psychology Internship Program
1133 Metropolitan Detention Center / Psychology Services Los Angeles, CA, USA
1543 VA Pittsburgh Healthcare System / Behavioral Health
1264 Rush University Medical Center / Department of Behavioral Sciences
1432 University Behavioral Health Care- Rutgers, The State University of New Jersey / Rutgers University Behavioral Health Care
Spectrum health???
1400 St. Louis Psychology Internship Consortium / c/o Department of Psychology, 325 Stadler Hall
1266 The University of Chicago Medicine / Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Neuroscience
1954 University of Kansas Medical Center / Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences
1628 University of Wisconsin / Departments of Psychiatry, Orthopedics & Rehabilitation Medicine
1398 U. S. Medical Center for Federal Prisoners / Psychology Department Springfield, MO, USA
1594 Utah State Hospital / Psychology Services
1589 Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center / Department of Behavioral Medicine
1183 Yale University School of Medicine / Psychology Section, Department of Psychiatry
118318 - CMHC: Hispanic BH Services
118315 - CMHC: Substance Abuse Services
Rejections:

1379 Children's Hospitals and Clinics of Minnesota / Psychological Services, 17-217 Minneapolis, MN, USA
1222 Federal Bureau of Prisons / Psychology Tallahassee, FL, USA
1575 Federal Correctional Institution / Psychology Services Department Fort Worth, TX, USA
Thank you so much for sending these and taking the time and energy to find them! I have integrated these codes into the main list. Hopefully people will be able to send codes to their sites as additional offers come in. I am happy to post them in the main thread if people send them. Thanks again. You rock! :)

-Site name & Match ID number Baruch College Counseling Center ID: 1785
-Track (if applicable)
-Invite or rejection:
INVITE
-Date notified:
TODAY, a few minutes ago
mass e-mail
-Interview date:
11/18, 11/20, 12/2, 12/4
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process:
antagonized people

Is there a way of knowing how many applicants a site received?

Look on the APPIC internship site directory. If you click on the site, you can scroll down and (most times) it will show the number of applications they received for the last 3 years.

Look on the APPIC internship site directory. If you click on the site, you can scroll down and (most times) it will show the number of applications they received for the last 3 years.
It's unfortunate that they don't list this year's applicants. It would be nice to know how many people one is "competing" against. But perhaps it is better for my anxiety that they don't provide this information.

cohort mate received invitation from university of illinois at chicago, child track, have no idea if it was email/ phone/ mass/ personalized etc.

-Site name & Match ID number James Madison Counseling Center
-Track (if applicable) n/a
-Invite or rejection prelim interview (phone)
-Date notified 11/4
-How notified (mass email, personal email, phone) phone
-Interview date 11/10
-What you've done lately to cope with this crazy internship process

cohort mate received invitation from university of illinois at chicago, child track, have no idea if it was email/ phone/ mass/ personalized etc.
Thanks! Any idea if it child neuro, or a different child track?

Thanks! Any idea if it child neuro, or a different child track?
definitely not child neuro, I think just "general" child. will try to find out more if I can but I'm out of town and this is 2nd hand info.

I've noticed quite a few sites with significantly fewer applicants in the past year or two. Wonder why?

One factor is the decade long effort in APPIC and APA to add internship sites and decrease the size of graduate classes in order to address the imbalance. Another is changes in the economy probably. Also sites can have changeovers in leadership or program that may have an effect across a few years (closing a track, needing to become inactive for year due to funding challenges, etc.) It is definitely multi-factoral.

definitely not child neuro, I think just "general" child. will try to find out more if I can but I'm out of town and this is 2nd hand info.
Oh and it's university of illinois at chicago (UIC) not university of chicago that she heard from.