2015-2016 Anesthesiology Applications and Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I tried what you suggested and all it did was create the googledoc again. Any other suggestions?

could you use (dot) instead of period? like google(dot)com instead?

Members don't see this ad.

Is anesthesia becoming very competitive? I know a few guys with very good stats with only 1 interview so far.

Honestly I think it depends on how many schools they applied to and which ones. From what I've ascertained through my friends, there's some schools that offer before MSPE/Dean's letter and a lot that do not. You can look and see on the excel sheet, there's an overwhelming amount of interviews at some schools already and others have none.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anesthesia becoming very competitive? I know a few guys with very good stats with only 1 interview so far.

I doubt it. It's been less than 2 weeks. It depends on which programs they applied to as you can see on the chart on the first page

I doubt it. It's been less than 2 weeks. It depends on which programs they applied to as you can see on the chart on the first page
They've applied to 80+... solid, above avg steps

Some of our rotating students have come through, and while I can't give exact numbers they had solid (230s+) Step Is and the interviews are rolling in. Well, to the tune of 4 to 5 for each of them so far.

Why would you apply to 80 unless you're couples matching or you're a do/img. There are only 127 programs according to the chart

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Not going to lie. I'm starting to freak out. I thought I was decently competitive, but now I'm not so sure.
ERAS has been open for 12 days, and you can tell from the spreadsheet that the vast majority of programs likely haven't even offered interviews yet. It's way, way too early to freak out. Wait at least a couple weeks after Dean's Letters go out. Hang in there.

Why would you apply to 80 unless you're couples matching or you're a do/img. There are only 127 programs according to the chart

Because some medical students forgot basic math.

For instance, highly-competitive medical student A hears that there are 1000 applicants for a program's 10 residency spots.

Student A thinks that means anesthesiology is more competitive than ever because 1000 applicants for 10 spots means 100 applicants per spot (1% acceptance rate!!!!!!), and that he needs to apply to 100 programs to give him a chance of matching.

Student B is an average applicant. He knows that there are 1000 applicants for 1000 total residency spots. He knows that he will match somewhere, so he will apply to 10 average programs. He applies to 1/10th as many programs compared to Student A.

Both students match.

Student A spent far more money, and far more effort than B, and wasted so much more of everyone's time because he failed at understanding math.

Reactions: 2 users

Right now it is more important which programs they applied to not how many. You can see from the google doc that right now only some programs are giving offers to anyone at all and it is not just dependent on the quality of the program. The only time to worry would be if you are not getting any interviews and a lot of the programs that have sent out offers (including less competitive ones) are programs that you applied to. Even if a program sent out offers already and you didn't get one does not mean you won't get one. I don't know for sure but I think some programs might send waves. Also, at some point people will have to start canceling and then more will open up.

The one caveat to this is that the majority of decently competitive people do not apply to 80+ programs. Even average applicants don't usually apply to that many for anesthesia. So this makes me question the competitiveness of your friends and if they may have some deficits in other parts of their applications.

I tried what you suggested and all it did was create the googledoc again. Any other suggestions?

I found the link embedded in the source code. So if you want it just go to view source and scroll a ways down until you see the typed out text from the first post by mybubbles627 and you should see the link just above it. I am going to try and post it but just in case it doesn't work.

https://docs dot google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-qtDBp0xx5uuPikLkTuL-cdZpvPaJosmm69C1MgqJb8/edit?widget=true&headers=false&rm=minimal&pli=1#gid=0

EDIT: I just tested it. Copy the above text, then paste it into the search browser. Then delete the dot and change to docs.google and it will work.

Members don't see this ad :)
has anyone received any confirmation from Jefferson yet regarding the interview?

I'm worrying a little as it seems a lot of interviews have gone out. My step 1 score was slightly below average and step 2 slightly above. Does anyone know when I should worry that I only have 1 interview? I applied to 40 programs.

I'm worrying a little as it seems a lot of interviews have gone out. My step 1 score was slightly below average and step 2 slightly above. Does anyone know when I should worry that I only have 1 interview? I applied to 40 programs.
I only got 1 interview so far as well. Step I 240-250 with 15+ publications. I think it just depends on which institutions you applied to. I'll start worrying if I don't get any more interviews over the next few weeks.

I only got 1 interview so far as well. Step I 240-250 with 15+ publications. I think it just depends on which institutions you applied to. I'll start worrying if I don't get any more interviews over the next few weeks.

Similar scores here. My thinking is leaning toward the same idea.

Thanks - it's hard not to be a little neurotic

Reactions: 3 users
High 250s, radio silence. The IMG struggle is real.

There are some seriously neurotic people on this forum... why is a U.S. MD student with good to moderate board scores applying to more than 25 programs? I'm looking at that spreadsheet and I know you people who applied to 60-80 programs and have 15-20 interviews are not going on all of them nor are you seriously considering most of them. Just pick your 10 at most and cancel the rest so this whole interview process doesn't get delayed for everyone else. It's inconsiderate, but that is just my opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Plenty of "Big" name programs have not given out interviews, or only given out very minimal amounts of interview offers so far. I know many schools give them out as they review the apps so many may not have even thoroughly reviewed yours at this point. good luck!

I got some invites right after I wrote that post. I'm being neurotic; I'll shut up, lol. Thanks guys.

Last edited:
Does anyone know when the three Harvard affiliated schools (bid, Brigham, and mass gen) usually give out the bulk of there invites?

Does anyone know when the three Harvard affiliated schools (bid, Brigham, and mass gen) usually give out the bulk of there invites?

I think most of them will go out this week, next week, and maybe the week after. I am just basing that off of the dates people posted in this years doc and last years doc. It also looks like they sent interviews out in November as well, but I would bet the bulk will be sent out by the end of October.

There are some seriously neurotic people on this forum... why is a U.S. MD student with good to moderate board scores applying to more than 25 programs? I'm looking at that spreadsheet and I know you people who applied to 60-80 programs and have 15-20 interviews are not going on all of them nor are you seriously considering most of them. Just pick your 10 at most and cancel the rest so this whole interview process doesn't get delayed for everyone else. It's inconsiderate, but that is just my opinion.
I agree with the sentiment here that it would all be a lot better if people only applied where they are interested, but from a logistics standpoint have to somewhat disagree with calling this a recommendation.

Based off the post-match data, the average number of interviews "required" to have a 95%+ chance of matching (overall, obviously varies significantly by step scores, personality, etc.) in anesthesiology has been somewhere between 10-13 depending on the year. Getting an invite is also a numbers game, as the "everyone applies everywhere" logic has become increasingly common in all specialties due to the overall match situation getting increasingly crappy and there being more and more totally unmatched US candidates every year. (Not anesthesia specifically, just overall.) Programs know this and do their best to filter out apps they think are totally disinterested, or don't meet their criteria, but it's still a lot more applications to review and make invite decisions about. So from a sheer odds standpoint, if you're a normal applicant (broadly definited: basically anything under 250 based off what I'm seeing), then it's in your best interest to apply broadly at anywhere you might consider interviewing and hope the numbers games work out in your favor or your name gets picked out of the hat of the large number of similar applicants. If you're a stellar applicant you can still afford to apply only to a handful (maybe plus a few) that you're seriously interested in because your invite odds are relatively high regardless and it's not quite as much of a numbers game for you. That said, smaller or lesser known programs that you have no ties or earthly reason to consider will (and do) assume you're just applying there for the numbers game and just throw your 260+ application in the trash, so don't waste your money trying to game a system when the deck is already stacked in your favor. (And if you are actually interested in a smaller/lesser known program, it may be helpful to let them know that!) If you're a below average applicant, you basically have to apply everywhere you think might consdier you just to have a chance at getting some invites.

Interviews themselves are still a numbers game and with the increased number of applications, many programs have expanded their interview pool too. So what used to be a 6:1 ratio of interiewees:spots may now be a 10:1 or even 14:1. So unless you're both brilliant and charming, you can't afford to get 5 or 6 interviews and call it good anymore.

I wholeheartedly agree that sitting on 15+ interview invites is a waste of time and resources, both for the applicant and the programs. Once you hit the number of invites that you're comfortable at (based off your step, how well you interview, etc.), start canceling your interviews at places you aren't going to seriously consider for whatever reason (geography, program size, program director wears a strange wig, whatever) so that the normal applicants get a chance at your interview spot. DON'T WAIT UNTIL A DAY OR TWO BEFORE TO CANCEL. Barring some family emergency, you knew you probably weren't going a week or two in advance. Just don't do it. It's very bad form, it's rude to other applicants, and the programs absolutely hate it.

TL,DR: Apply broadly but don't be a jerk.

Hey, I wrote some interview impression info in the spreadsheet, and it has since vanished. What gives - is someone just a ****ty person who like to screw things up for others, or was there some legit reason behind this?

Does anyone know what time the MGH interview ends and what's the earliest flight that can be taken out of Logan?

Are things slowing down for most people? I haven't had any new offers for several days...

Reactions: 2 users
One piece of advice- give yourself some wiggle room between the time the interview is supposed to end and your flight. Many times my interview season interviews ran long, and it can be super awkward/stressful trying to navigate the should I stay or should I go politics, especially if it's a program you like and the interviews are at the END of the day.

I appreciate the thread! I do agree the data is slightly skewed to the right (with all you super-achievers- nice job!) For us mere mortals, what advice does the sdn cosmos have to offer? It's mid-October. DO, 230/215 (I know I screwed the pooch), four interviews, five rejections, and applied to 80 programs. Do I dare start calling programs near my other interviews expressing interest? Honestly I'm interested in any program that is interested in me. Thoughts/feedback is much appreciated.

Hello All. Just wanted to throw in my two cents on this forum. I am in a US MD program (not top 40). My stats: Step 1 235, Step 2 255, honored 6/8 third year clerkships, not AOA but in top 25 percent of my class. Minimal research, no publications. I have received 24 interviews and 3 rejections (rejections being from Duke, Stanford, Colorado all of which occurred this Monday). Colorado particularly hurt, but the others were my reaches.

Interview invites have without a doubt slowed down. I got 90 percent of my interviews between September 20th to October 10th. However, I will say invitation season is far from over. I got two invites yesterday from University of Chicago and Utah. Also, a lot of programs but you on their silent wait list in case people cancel interviews and interview slots open up; this is the reason why rejection notices haven't been flying out. It is frustrating, and I look at my phone probably 100 times a day to check for invites as my OCD has been through the roof.

I'm waiting on a bunch of UC schools, Oregon, and Washington. Was wondering how many people have gotten interview invites to these places as they are pretty high on my list of desirable programs. Would love for some feedback on this and to see if I am most likely going to receive a rejection notice. Anyone who can provide some info would be much appreciated.

Wish the best of luck to all.

I got interviews everywhere along the west coast, except for the programs in LA proper. Not too mad I guess.

I'm waiting on a bunch of UC schools, Oregon, and Washington. Was wondering how many people have gotten interview invites to these places as they are pretty high on my list of desirable programs. Would love for some feedback on this and to see if I am most likely going to receive a rejection notice. Anyone who can provide some info would be much appreciated.

Wish the best of luck to all.

I've heard back from UW, Stanford, Oregon, and USC. Have not heard from UCLA. Colorado is big on taking regional applicants - away rotations are crucial for this program. Hope this helps.

I've heard back from UW, Stanford, Oregon, and USC. Have not heard from UCLA. Colorado is big on taking regional applicants - away rotations are crucial for this program. Hope this helps.

When specifically did you hear from UW and Oregon?

I got interviews everywhere along the west coast, except for the programs in LA proper. Not too mad I guess.

Yeah ive been seeing your name all over the spreadsheet. Its almost infuriating but pretty impressive

Yeah ive been seeing your name all over the spreadsheet. Its almost infuriating but pretty impressive

I've seen your posts all over SDN. I think you're a cool person with opinions I jive with, and I hope more interviews come your way. :xf:

Been stalking this thread for a bit, thought I would throw in my two cents as I may be a bit of an odd case. Second year resident at large peds program in the southwest looking to get into an anesthesia program after I finish peds for an end goal of some combination of peds ICU and gas. Went to a fairly well respected though less known state med school, honored most of my rotations, board scores well above the average, and 7-8 publications (though none anesthesia related). Didn't do any anesthesia sub-Is MS4 year but did an OR rotation as an intern and a pain rotation as a PGY2 that I got letters from. Applied to around 20 programs, invites from 7, radio silence from 13.