2014 Ortho Interview Dates

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
U. Wash social 10-20 interview 10-21

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum, I was hoping to get some feedback on my situation. I am a general dentist , practiced over 10 years and I just applied to ortho this year. I am very discouraged, I applied to 17 schools and not one interview. I don't know where I went wrong. I graduated with honors 3.9 GPA, I had a 91 on NDBE part 1 and I have achived Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry. I also have about 700 hours of CE in Craniofacial Pain/TMD and ortho. I don't understand, what are they looking for?:(

A few things
1) Your stats seem good. What was your class rank?

2) Yes, you should've applied to more than 17 schools. Some schools never take anyone but students from their own dental school and maybe 1 token resident who didn't go to the dental school. Some never take grads with experience. If you had a bunch of these types of schools on your list, you never had a real chance at those places.

3) I bet a lot of practicing orthodontists and maybe even those orthos on the admissions committees don't really know what Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry is. As an ortho myself, all I know is that it involves taking a lot of CE and an exam and probably makes you a better GP. But how a bunch of CE in things like implants and endo is going to translate to making you a better ortho candidate....I don't know.

4) Though Craniofaical Pain and TMD are very important subjects that you would think would be helpful in an ortho applications... I can't remember TMD ever coming up during the ortho interviews with the faculty or even by the residents when they talk about their clinical experience. So again, your CE in this might not be getting noticed like you think it would.

5) Ortho seems to looove people who are something other than dentists. If all you wrote about was your passion for being a good dentist and skipped the fact that you do Tough Mudder events in between all those AGD Fellowship classes, your essay may have been overlooked.

Last edited:
Hey guys! West Virginia just gave me a call and extended me an interview invitation, but I declined because I recently was accepted at Seton Hill. So if you applied to WVU and haven't been invited yet, I think they are still searching for people to fill their last interview spots.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys! West Virginia just gave me a call and extended me an interview invitation, but I declined because I recently was accepted at Seton Hill. So if you applied to WVU and haven't been invited yet, I think they are still searching for people to fill their last interview spots.

I just got the call today and I accepted the spot

I have gotten the phone call from temple abotu the interview but I have not received and email with the details about the interview. Has anyone received an email? I am interviewing Nov. 4th

Hey guys,
I was wondering if anyone can swap their Nebraska interview date with me. I have mine scheduled on Oct 28, and wanted to swap for Oct 29. Please PM me; if you can, that would help me out big time. Thanks!!

I have gotten the phone call from temple abotu the interview but I have not received and email with the details about the interview. Has anyone received an email? I am interviewing Nov. 4th

I spoke to the admin coordinator and she said she mailed the information. Plan on a social on Sunday around 6ish. The hotel info will be in the information that she mailed but she mentioned the holiday inn express to me over the phone. Hope that helps.

For those who had interviews. Good luck with you all. :) Finger crossed and keep praying. Hopefully we all get what we wanted.

Hi

I am International Dentist and got an interview. Any advice can help alot.
What kind of questions will be asked? More clinical? or just to know you more? What to wear (Female)?

Thanx

Hi

What kind of questions will be asked? More clinical? or just to know you more? What to wear (Female)?

Thanx

Hi, congratulations on your interview. They usually ask, tell me about yourself, what have you done since you graduated, do you have any research experience, what is your hobby, what is your 5 year goal ? why this school? and "do you have any questions?"

Wear pant suit, or skirt suit, while lots of female candidates wear pant suit, the skirt suit seems to be more formal. I wore my skirt suit all the time. When you wear skirt suit, wear tights as well. any blouse or poplin shirts inside the suit will do.

Good luck :)

Hi guys,
I'm new to this forum, I was hoping to get some feedback on my situation. I am a general dentist , practiced over 10 years and I just applied to ortho this year. I am very discouraged, I applied to 17 schools and not one interview. I don't know where I went wrong. I graduated with honors 3.9 GPA, I had a 91 on NDBE part 1 and I have achived Fellowship in the Academy of General Dentistry. I also have about 700 hours of CE in Craniofacial Pain/TMD and ortho. I don't understand, what are they looking for?:(

It's a numbers game: apply to as many as you can humanly afford.

....but,

Congrats on your spot! (so my above advice is moot).

:thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi

Thanx

Would you mind telling us what institution granted you an interview?

thanx!
:cool:

Does anyone know if there is a social on 10/27 for the Temple interview on the 28th? Just curious.

Hi all,

Out of curiosity did anyone who interviewed at AT Still or Roseman hear back with acceptances? Just curious I am married to my phone and more than likely can figure out that I probably won't be getting a call but for peace of mind I'd like to know if they have made the calls yet.

Thanks

Does anyone know if there is a social on 10/27 for the Temple interview on the 28th? Just curious.

I tried looking at the hard letter again and it doesn't say what time to meet just where it will be held

Hi all,

Out of curiosity did anyone who interviewed at AT Still or Roseman hear back with acceptances? Just curious I am married to my phone and more than likely can figure out that I probably won't be getting a call but for peace of mind I'd like to know if they have made the calls yet.

Thanks

I feel you. I'm waiting on Colorado. Any one hear back from them?

ASDOH, Roseman, and Colorado have all given multiple acceptances

why pay boatloads of tuition to go to ortho residency and tag on more debt, when you could just be a GP and take CE classes in ortho and any case that you think might be too difficult you dump on the orthodontist (of which there are already enough to go around)? :confused:

why pay boatloads of tuition to go to ortho residency and tag on more debt, when you could just be a GP and take CE classes in ortho and any case that you think might be too difficult you dump on the orthodontist (of which there are already enough to go around)? :confused:

As a gp, I would be expected to do more than just ortho. I want to practice exclusively orthodontics. It's about the quality of life.

As a gp, I would be expected to do more than just ortho. I want to practice exclusively orthodontics. It's about the quality of life.
ditto that....you really have to be a practicing dentist to really understand the dynamics of this answer though much like most things in life

I received an acceptance offer from one of the non-match school 2 days ago, and I said I will take the spot. The director told me to drop out from the match and I said I will do so once match site is available on Nov. 4th. Today, I received an interview invitation from one of my top choice program which also is a non-match. The interview is next week, and I'm wondering if it is ok to accept this interview offer, and later if I get into this top choice non-match program can I decline the first non-match program?

Last edited:
I received an acceptance offer from one of the non-match school 2 days ago, and I said I will take the spot. The director told me to drop out from the match and I said I will do so once match site is available on Nov. 4th. Today, I received an interview invitation from one of my top choice program which also is a non-match. The interview is next week, and I'm wondering if it is ok to accept this interview offer, and later if I get into this top choice non-match program can I decline the first non-match program?

If you do this, you are taking on considerable risk. I believe programs talk. If it is discovered that you have accepted this interview after agreeing to take a position at a school, you may very well get dropped. If the school you're interviewing at finds out you have already accepted a position, and then you accepted an interview from them, you risk not getting in there either.

An argument can be made that if the "better" school is notifying you this late in the game, perhaps you may not be one of their stronger applicants. In this scenario, your potential reward is already undermined while the risk is still the same. You will have to decide if the risk/reward relationship is worth it to you. I recommend turning down the interview asap and just enjoy that you are going to be an Orthodontist.

Last edited:

I would take the interview.

I don't see why you couldn't drop one non-match offer for another one.

Can someone list all the non-match programs here? I'm surprised there is so much talk about this.

id weigh it out....how much did you not like the program you got into, is there a cost difference, is one program 2 vs 3 yrs, what are you going to do if you did take a chance and not get in to either by chance, how good of a social person and interviewer are you, how many options do you have, etc....id take the spot if any of the above are questionable

I explained to the program that invited me for the interview that I already got an offer from another program, and they told me just to come in and see how our program is like. So I do not think it is illegal.

Rochester
JU
Vanderbilt
UNLV
Colorado
Seton Hill
Connecticut
Roseman
Harvard
AT Still

Ouch. Seems unfair for candidates that this list is stacked with many of the "new" programs especially the ones that have a million spots.

Match doesn't work if there are so many non-players.

UConn and Harvard are on this list? What's going on there?

Ouch. Seems unfair for candidates that this list is stacked with many of the "new" programs especially the ones that have a million spots.

UCLA is one of the non-match too.

Rochester
JU
Vanderbilt
UNLV
Colorado
Seton Hill
Connecticut
Roseman
Harvard
AT Still
UConn
Harvard
UCLA
Loma Linda
Maimonides Hospital

I honestly think Non-match is better than MATCH. After applying the second time, I realized that non-match programs are getting harder to get into as well. Schools this year like UConn and Colorado used to be part of MATCH, but now they are not because they want to be able to choose the right applicants for their programs. This means that if you MATCH at a program you won the lottery, but if you don't you may end up applying again next year instead of post-matching. Also, since I was accepted earlier, it took all the pressure off I had about future interviews and I saved a ton of money for food, travelling, and lodging.

So I have an interview Tom at west Virginia university, and I just found out that they r going to ask some ortho related questions. Any advice on how to prepare for that?
Thanks

I honestly think Non-match is better than MATCH. After applying the second time, I realized that non-match programs are getting harder to get into as well. Schools this year like UConn and Colorado used to be part of MATCH, but now they are not because they want to be able to choose the right applicants for their programs. This means that if you MATCH at a program you won the lottery, but if you don't you may end up applying again next year instead of post-matching. Also, since I was accepted earlier, it took all the pressure off I had about future interviews and I saved a ton of money for food, travelling, and lodging.

You only feel that way about non-match because you are not being forced to enter the match so you don't have to interview at more programs because the match exists. From what I have heard from back in the day before the match (before my time), superstar applicants used to sit on multiple acceptances and wait until the last possible date to make their ultimate decision. This draws out the misery for the candidates still waiting to hear a decision, and drags out the amount of time a program will take to fill all of their spots.

I agree that getting a non-match spot before match would feel awesome. I remember when I applied, Rochester and some other school (possibly Loma Linda) were my first choice for no other reason except that they weren't part of match but I didn't get so lucky as you did and had to enter the match anyways. Besides Rochester and Vanderbilt, the two year paid programs so quite possibly the best deal for anyone who wants to be an orthodontist, the rest of this list is questionable. The list is stacked with some really expensive, longer programs so it's really not fair for applicants who get an interview at a cheaper, shorter program and prefer that program to be in the position where they feel forced to accept a position at a longer, more expensive program because of the uncertainty of match. The only way to avoid this situation is to not apply to those non-match programs that you wouldn't want to attend, but that's not such a great strategy either because there are way too many spots at all of these non-match programs combined and to eliminate yourself from them is really limiting your chances of acceptance at ANY program.

Non-match favors the program. Match favors the applicants. If you were really Colorado's top choice, you would've gotten accepted there through the Match as well as long as you put Colorado anywhere on your list.

Last edited:
Are you guys sure that Maimonides is non-match?

You only feel that way about non-match because you are not being forced to enter the match so you don't have to interview at more programs because the match exists. From what I have heard from back in the day before the match (before my time), superstar applicants used to sit on multiple acceptances and wait until the last possible date to make their ultimate decision. This draws out the misery for the candidates still waiting to hear a decision, and drags out the amount of time a program will take to fill all of their spots.

I agree that getting a non-match spot before match would feel awesome. I remember when I applied, Rochester and some other school (possibly Loma Linda) were my first choice for no other reason except that they weren't part of match but I didn't get so lucky as you did and had to enter the match anyways. Besides Rochester and Vanderbilt, the two year paid programs so quite possibly the best deal for anyone who wants to be an orthodontist, the rest of this list is questionable. The list is stacked with some really expensive, longer programs so it's really not fair for applicants who get an interview at a cheaper, shorter program and prefer that program to be in the position where they feel forced to accept a position at a longer, more expensive program because of the uncertainty of match. The only way to avoid this situation is to not apply to those non-match programs that you wouldn't want to attend, but that's not such a great strategy either because there are way too many spots at all of these non-match programs combined and to eliminate yourself from them is really limiting your chances of acceptance at ANY program.

Non-match favors the program. Match favors the applicants. If you were really Colorado's top choice, you would've gotten accepted there through the Match as well as long as you put Colorado anywhere on your list.

With all due respect gryffindor, you do make some valid points. I would say that programs like Rochester and Loma Linda are great programs, but to imply that all the other non-match programs are not as good because of the high tuition and length of the program is a little ridiculous. I think all programs have different strengths and weaknesses, even at the programs you mentioned above (I have friends who are or were residents at these programs, so I am not just stating my opinion, but the opinions of others who are going/went through the programs). Also, I applied to Colorado but was never given an interview there. I'm just stating that the competition from last year has gone up because programs are trying to do everything they can to avoid post-match. Colorado usually reserves spots for post-match, and UConn has always been part of the MATCH. However, since they recently changed their admissions process, it demonstrates that programs are trying to avoid the post-match process entirely. After not matching last year, I believe that if you get a position, you should take it and don't look back. My two cents.

I'm just stating that the competition from last year has gone up because programs are trying to do everything they can to avoid post-match. Colorado usually reserves spots for post-match, and UConn has always been part of the MATCH. However, since they recently changed their admissions process, it demonstrates that programs are trying to avoid the post-match process entirely. After not matching last year, I believe that if you get a position, you should take it and don't look back. My two cents.

Programs would avoid post-match if they ranked every interviewee who showed up to the interview. However, in years past, programs got arrogant and it blew up in their faces.

Programs would avoid post-match if they ranked every interviewee who showed up to the interview. However, in years past, programs got arrogant and it blew up in their faces.

This. Post-match should be a rare occurence in ortho given that if you look at past match stats, usually about half of those entering match end up not getting a position anywhere. It happens because of exactly what ortho lurker said. Programs weren't ranking all of the students they interviewed because they were sure they would be getting their top picks and got burned by this strategy (remember, Match favors the applicant). Or they intentionally didn't rank people to create spots post-match to hand-select certain students outside of match. I think the year I matched, there was a post-match spot available at a school where I interviewed that I had higher up on my list than the school where I ultimately matched. That means they didn't rank me.

Also, I did not say the other programs are bad. I am saying it is not fair to an applicant who has to make a decision based on match/non-match. For example, take an applicant who is a resident of West Virginia and really wants to stay in that region for family reasons or something. His choices are Pitt, WVU, Seton Hill and let's add VCU to stay within driving distance in that region and he gets interviews at all 4. I can't find the tuition for Seton Hill anywhere on their website, but I imagine as a private school it is higher than WVU which is dirt cheap for a WV resident - both are 3 year programs. It's got to be more expensive than VCU which appears to cost nothing and give its resident a nominal stipend AND is a 2 year program. If he gets a pre-match spot at Seton Hill, then he ends up in the "do I accept a pre-match spot" predicament and never gets a real shot at WVU or VCU due to the fear of not matching which is a very real fear for many qualified applicants every year.

ETA - I understand the relief in getting a pre-match acceptance so congrats on getting in. There isn't much we can go do on this thread regarding schools that participate in match vs those that don't. However, I would hope our discussion helps applicants understand how match works because every year there seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation about it.

Last edited:
I really don't care for match. If they want a system to favor the applicant, why not just offer positions and let the applicant choose the program.

From what I have heard from back in the day before the match (before my time), superstar applicants used to sit on multiple acceptances and wait until the last possible date to make their ultimate decision. This draws out the misery for the candidates still waiting to hear a decision, and drags out the amount of time a program will take to fill all of their spots.

I appreciate the history here. To me, the Match always seemed to be some way of just getting a few more bucks out of applicants. But given this context, it actually seems like the service has value after all.

This. Post-match should be a rare occurence in ortho given that if you look at past match stats, usually about half of those entering match end up not getting a position anywhere. It happens because of exactly what ortho lurker said. Programs weren't ranking all of the students they interviewed because they were sure they would be getting their top picks and got burned by this strategy (remember, Match favors the applicant). Or they intentionally didn't rank people to create spots post-match to hand-select certain students outside of match. I think the year I matched, there was a post-match spot available at a school where I interviewed that I had higher up on my list than the school where I ultimately matched. That means they didn't rank me.

Also, I did not say the other programs are bad. I am saying it is not fair to an applicant who has to make a decision based on match/non-match. For example, take an applicant who is a resident of West Virginia and really wants to stay in that region for family reasons or something. His choices are Pitt, WVU, Seton Hill and let's add VCU to stay within driving distance in that region and he gets interviews at all 4. I can't find the tuition for Seton Hill anywhere on their website, but I imagine as a private school it is higher than WVU which is dirt cheap for a WV resident - both are 3 year programs. It's got to be more expensive than VCU which appears to cost nothing and give its resident a nominal stipend AND is a 2 year program. If he gets a pre-match spot at Seton Hill, then he ends up in the "do I accept a pre-match spot" predicament and never gets a real shot at WVU or VCU due to the fear of not matching which is a very real fear for many qualified applicants every year.

ETA - I understand the relief in getting a pre-match acceptance so congrats on getting in. There isn't much we can go do on this thread regarding schools that participate in match vs those that don't. However, I would hope our discussion helps applicants understand how match works because every year there seems to be a lot of confusion and misinformation about it.

I definitely agree with you Gryffindor on your explanation about the MATCH/Non-Match process. It does suck having to decide where you want to go before checking out all your options. It isn't fair, but that is just how it is.

This year was my second year applying for ortho and after not matching last year (interviewed at 4 programs, 1 non-match), I will say that the biggest advice I can offer is take what you can get (my opinion). Last year, I thought I had a good shot at one of my interviews and when MATCH day arrived, I was shocked to find out I didn't get into an orthodontics program. Luckily this year, I interviewed at Seton Hill and loved the program, faculty, facilities, staff, and residents. It had everything I was looking for in a program. Usually there are 7 positions available but this year there were only 3 spots available since the 4 other spots were already occupied. When I got the phone call from Seton, I was super excited because I got into the ortho program I always wanted to be in. So to summarize, be humble and take what you can get.

If I had to reapply for ortho again, it would have cost me a ton of money. Btw, Seton Hill charges about $165,000 for a 2.5 year program.

Reactions: 1 user