2014 Nontrad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
Sitting at the airport in South America after a month of travel, and get an email from UVM accepting me off the WL. It is one of my favorite schools, and pretty much has all of the features I'm looking for: true P/F, great culture, I love the location and nearby activities, near my friends/support network, great match list. On the other hand, it will likely cost around $25,000 more per year than the school I had planned on going to. They haven't given me a financial aid package yet, but I doubt I'll be seeing any non-loan money. What to do, what to do...

Reactions: 4 users
Best of luck to this year's non-trad applicants!

I just graduated from medical school and turned 40. Keep on rockin'. I'll be rooting for you.

This is such an inspiration. Thank you. Everyday, my faith is growing stronger and my doubt is dying out.

This is great to see! Gives me some hope. I have an ok GPA of 3.4 but after this last semester its gonna drop to 3.1 at least...Still have some classes to take and all my sciences. Hoping I can post on this when I get in although I have been really mad at all this last couple weeks. My EC are good and will only get better but like people have said before its the whole package they look at. Congrats to everyone who got in!

Just wanted to update you guys. I got secondaries to 20/21 schools I applied to. 3 interview invites: KYCOM, CCOM, and DMU. I canceled the 2nd two invites and accepted at KYCOM.
Stats: 3.35 cGPA 3.45 sGPA. 500 hours shadowing. 100 hours volunteering. 1st mcat 11/6/9 retake 9/9/10.

Father of 4 children ;) and am 26 years old!
Blessed! (Thank you God!)

Reactions: 1 users
Just wanted to update you guys. I got secondaries to 20/21 schools I applied to. 3 interview invites: KYCOM, CCOM, and DMU. I canceled the 2nd two invites and accepted at KYCOM.
Stats: 3.35 cGPA 3.45 sGPA. 500 hours shadowing. 100 hours volunteering. 1st mcat 11/6/9 retake 9/9/10.

Father of 4 children ;) and am 26 years old!
Blessed! (Thank you God!)
Congratulations!

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all-
Congrats to everybody with acceptances so far - you guys are going to be great.
I dropped out of the conversation a while back, mostly because of frustration. My cycle has not panned out (21 rejections/29 apps and the rest have few or no interview spots left). Apparently my stellar postbacc wasn't enough to mitigate my previous academic failings in this app-flooded cycle.
I'm currently working on my application to the NIH IRTA program, which would be a good way to spend the next couple of years and bolster the app for a second round, but obviously wasn't my first choice. Hope ya'll will keep your fingers crossed for me though.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi all-
I dropped out of the conversation a while back, mostly because of frustration. My cycle has not panned out (21 rejections/29 apps and the rest have few or no interview spots left). Apparently my stellar postbacc wasn't enough to mitigate my previous academic failings in this app-flooded cycle.
I'm currently working on my application to the NIH IRTA program, which would be a good way to spend the next couple of years and bolster the app for a second round, but obviously wasn't my first choice. Hope ya'll will keep your fingers crossed for me though.

What are your stats if you don't mind me asking? I'm on the same boat as you.

Hi all-
I submitted a second app prior to getting pulled from a waitlist last minute this past year and had significantly more interview invites the second time around with not all that many new experiences. If you want some info on what I did to refocus my app hit me up.

Reactions: 2 users
Just got called that I'm being admitted to a post bacc. Score one more for the non trads!

Reactions: 2 users