2014 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Did you match?

• Yes

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • No

Votes: 6 16.2%

• Total voters

rocketbooster

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was going to let someone else make this post this year but it's been a few days since match day and no one has started a thread yet. And yes I will post my own stats as well but later on once we get a few others so that my stats also stay anonymous lol.

The thing ppl want to do different this year is actually provide more specific details about the programs they interviewed. This will be extremely helpful for future applicants as the old Compendium list of programs doesn't get many responses. This might be asking too much, but it would be great f you could mention something about every program you interviewed at, including things like surgical numbers, fellowship match, VA, county/safety net hospital, location, opinion on faculty+residents, etc.

2014 applicants, both matched and unmatched, please fill out the template below and PM me and I'll get the ball rolling. Thank you.

--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended):
--Where matched:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)
--Comments on specific programs:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for doing this...really looking forward to the responses!

I was going to let someone else make this post this year but it's been a few days since match day and no one has started a thread yet. And yes I will post my own stats as well but later on once we get a few others so that my stats also stay anonymous lol.
The thing ppl want to do different this year is actually provide more specific details about the programs they interviewed. This will be extremely helpful for future applicants as the old Compendium list of programs doesn't get many responses. This might be asking too much, but it would be great f you could mention something about every program you interviewed at, including things like surgical numbers, fellowship match, VA, county/safety net hospital, location, opinion on faculty+residents, etc.

2014 applicants, both matched and unmatched, please fill out the template below and PM me and I'll get the ball rolling. Thank you.

--Board Scores:
--AOA and class rank: if known
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc)
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications)
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)
--# and where you did away rotations:
--# of programs you applied to:
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended):
--Where matched:
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc)

Interested 3rd year. It would be awesome for you guys to comment on this thread!

Members don't see this ad :)
These threads aren't really that helpful for people coming up to match. Seeing a bunch of ridiculously high stats from a small cross-section of applicants who matched doesn't provide any useful data. I would put more weight on the past several years of match stats that are available on the SF match website and talk to individuals who recently matched to get their perspective on interviews, applications and the ranking process.

Reactions: 1 users
These threads aren't really that helpful for people coming up to match. Seeing a bunch of ridiculously high stats from a small cross-section of applicants who matched doesn't provide any useful data. I would put more weight on the past several years of match stats that are available on the SF match website and talk to individuals who recently matched to get their perspective on interviews, applications and the ranking process.

Totally second this!!

SDN can actually be VERY discouraging, especially if you don't have a realistic/healthy perspective (aka SF match stats). SDNers tend to be overachievers so u gotta take their stats with a ton of salt!!! Talk tour home ophtho PD if u want a good appraisal of ur competitiveness.

Personally, I matched high on my rank list, but early in the cycle, I was very discouraged by of all the "out of the world" stats here on SDN. However, my PD and SF Match stats gave me confidence about my chances. As with most things, there's a normal distribution, SDN stats are probably in the top 5-10% percentile, so keep that in mind!! Overall SDN is a great resource, but be mindful of the times it's not ... i.e. strutting stats.

Goodluck!

Call me crazy, but I still think it would be nice to read profiles of some matched applicants! :)

I agree that it can be intimidating to read the superior exploits of fellow applicants. But I do feel that there is value in hearing more about your experience in the process, your take on the different programs, and how you made yourself competitive.

Last edited:
--Board Scores: Step 1: mid 240's Step 2: score not back in time to be submitted
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top half of class
--Reputation of medical school: Well known school in the South
--Research: 1 third author publication, 2 third author presentations (all were not in ophtho), 2 ophtho papers in progress during applications
--Honors in clerkships: H in surgery and family med. HP in all others.
--# and where you did away rotations: 3
--# of programs you applied to: 80
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Invited to 16. Went on 14. UTMB, Texas Tech, UT San Antonio, KU, UMKC, Mizzou, U Washington, LSU Shreveport, LSU New Orleans, Tulane, VCU, EVMS, Nassau, SUNY Buffalo. Didn't attend: U Tennessee-Memphis, Florida-Jacksonville
--Where matched: 5/14
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) Just being myself. Some of my interesting past experiences came up a lot in my interviews and made for some good conversations. I have a masters, but I don't know how helpful it was. If anything, it may have just been another thing to talk about at interviews. I was very proactive in contacting programs to get interviews, and I know it scored me at least 4 that I really wanted.
--Comments on specific programs: I'll try to get to these later. But one piece of advice I'd give is not to base a judgement off of what you read online. There were a number of programs that I went to expecting garbage, but was pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
Are you the official poster for anonymous people like last year, rocketbooster?

--Board Scores: step I 250, step II not taken yet
--AOA and class rank: not really sure, around 50%
--Reputation of medical school: pretty good maybe top 30
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications) 1 chart review paper 1st author accepted, one case report and some bench-research (3 wks) time without publication
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine) only my medicine sub-i. The rest HP expect for P in medicine and neurology.
--# and where you did away rotations: none
--# of programs you applied to: 90
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Invited to 18 or so all in all, went to 14: WVU, U of Rochester, Nassau, Mt. Sinia, NYU, Albany, Syracuse, UMKC, Oklahoma, UT-Galveston, U-tenn, LSU olsner, Case Western, Henry Ford
--Where matched: #1
--Anything that helped your app: Leadership experience and lots of pretty involved not for profit work. Interesting hobbies and experiences. I think my letters helped. No special phone calls or family/friend connections.
- Really liked WVU and Henry Ford after interviewing and would have but them higher if it wasn't for geographic reasons.
- U-tenn memphis is also really nice and has great facilities, lots of $ and a cool connection with st. judes so lots of peds/onc going on
- Oklahoma is like its reputation with cool commitment to service work

Good luck to everyone reading this next year.

I think we should keep the thread going, even tho I agree with the broader sentiments raised above. As long as future applicants understand the inherent sampling bias, I think it's a good resource that's worth having. If this thread dies, future applicants will have dated match stats/pearls... Yes there's the sfmatch stats, the Iowa guide etc but anecdotals also help.

Those who preceded us did a great job keeping this thread going! We all know that 49.9562% of what we do in medicine is 2/2 to good 'ole tradition, so let's keep this one going!!

I'll pm mine to rocketbooster today.

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: Step 1: low 240's Step 2: mid 240's but had to bring with me on interviews
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, middle of class
--Reputation of medical school: Unknown school in the South
--Research: 1 year of Ophthalmology research; 2 months of School Research; No pubs
--Honors in clerkships: Don't have Honors for 3rd year; A's in Med, Surgery, Neuro, Family, and Peds; High B in Psych, OBGYN.
--# of programs you applied to: 80-85
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Invited to 11. Went on 9. MCG, LSU-Shreveport, LSU-Ocshner, UAB, UT-Memphis, UNC, UVA, Albert Einstein, Jackson-MS. Unable to attend: UT- Houston, Texas Tech
--Where matched: 2/9 (should have ranked one but committed too early. So happy I matched there!!!)
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) 2 "Big Wig"letters and one very good personal letter. My year of research with well known person in their field. Eagle scout. My volunteer work in other countries and at home. Calm, relaxed, and humorous in interviews. My aways enabled me to meet many attendings and residents that made the interview process much easier.
--Comments on specific programs: Liked most of them a lot. LSU-shreveport kept us there from 7am-6:30 PM (told us we would be doing around 2PM), they were the most unorganized interview I had ever had, had to ask for a tour, Interviewers didn't ask about anything in my application, PD was strange. Not trying to bash them but they need to shape up.

-Board Scores: Step 1: 256, Step 2: 269 (CK score came back after application went out but before interviews came in.)
--AOA and class rank: Senior, top 10%
--Reputation of medical school: Not sure, but solid mid-tier with a top ophtho program.
--Research: 1 ophtho pub in a non-ophtho journal, 2 pending manuscripts during interview season
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine)Honors in surgery, peds, FM. HP in medicine, OBGYN, psych. Honors in ophtho electives.
--# of programs you applied to: 65
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Attended - Minnesota, UVA, Wills, Baylor, St. Louis U, Case Western, LSU - Shreveport, Bascom, Kresge, U of A, Penn State, UT San Antonio, Rutgers. Didn't attend - Sinai Baltimore, NSLIJ, Mt. Sinai
--Where matched: #4
--Anything that helped your app: (ie: a phone call from your advisor to another program, big-wig letter of recs, MD/PhD, other degree, SDN Forum, etc) I had 2 letters from big-name attendings that were mentioned at almost every interview.
1) Minnesota: Loved this program for the friendly faculty and residents! All subspecialties are well represented, but I would say cornea and peds are their biggest departments. Would have ranked higher if Minneapolis wasn't so cold....
2) SLU: Definitely underrated. For me, it was a hidden gem. Great faculty and residents! There are no fellows which could be +/-. The pro is that you get to do most of the procedures and surgeries with the attendings. Their cataract # is on the lower end (average 120) because of the lack of VA affiliation. During the interview, they stated that they're forming a deal with the VA to shuttle cataract patients to SLU for surgery because the VA has a 6-month waiting list. Thus, SLU gets to increase their volume without dealing with the VA system. They started this very recently, so I'm not sure how much more volume they will get from this. However, their #s for all other subspecialties were great!
3) Case Western: The new chairman, Dr. Rhee, is a gem! He was very open about why they were on probation for low oculoplastics number and wide range in residents' surgical numbers. However, they are fully accredited now. They are completely remodeling the eye clinic, which is opening this summer. There are no fellows currently, but they are starting a peds fellowship this upcoming year with hopes of starting other fellowships in the near future. Dr. Rhee is definitely putting this program in the right direction.
4) LSU Shreveport: As mentioned in the above post, the day was super unorganized. The chairman/PD didn't give a presentation on the program. We just watched an old video that didn't provide much information. All 20-25 of us sat in the small conference room from 8 AM - 5/6 PM waiting to be called for our interviews. We basically had to keep ourselves entertained the entire day.

Totally second this!!

SDN can actually be VERY discouraging, especially if you don't have a realistic/healthy perspective (aka SF match stats). SDNers tend to be overachievers so u gotta take their stats with a ton of salt!!! Talk tour home ophtho PD if u want a good appraisal of ur competitiveness.

Personally, I matched high on my rank list, but early in the cycle, I was very discouraged by of all the "out of the world" stats here on SDN. However, my PD and SF Match stats gave me confidence about my chances. As with most things, there's a normal distribution, SDN stats are probably in the top 5-10% percentile, so keep that in mind!! Overall SDN is a great resource, but be mindful of the times it's not ... i.e. strutting stats.

Goodluck!

I'm a first time poster, but I've looked over match stats in past to give myself hope. I hope this helps those of you who are borderline.
Overall advice : If you are US senior you have a solid shot at matching. You need to put the effort into overcoming weakness in your app by Networking, Clinical Grades, Research... etc. My general feeling was that overcoming <220 step 1 would be very challenging. Step 1 220-230 will keep the door open at some places as long as rest of your app is strong. Get as many interviews as you can through aways, expressing additional interest, and having mentors vouch for you. From there, prepare for your interview and be yourself. If Step 1 is your weakness, apply broadly. My only regret was that I didn't apply to all 115ish programs. Above all else, stay positive.
--Board Scores: I - 226 II - did not submit (only 1 program asked for my step 2)
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top half class
--Reputation of medical school: Middle Tier Midwestern (Strong Ophtho)
--Research: 1 ENT pub, 1 Ophtho Pub, 1 Ophtho Chapter, 1 Ophtho Abstract, 5+ research experiences
--Honors in clerkships: All including Ophtho electives ( except FM )
--# of programs you applied to: 100
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): 9 invites (2/3 aways invited), attended all 6 Chicago, URochester, EVMS. Did not attend NYMC valhalla
--Where matched: 1/8 Solid Chicago Program
--Anything that helped your app: Extremely supportive mentors, Strong LofR, expressing additional interest to programs via email/mentor calling, strong interviews, NETWORKING residents/attendings
Matching at any Chicago program should be more than sufficient for most of us. URochester had great program, seemed like location was only challenge. EVMS had great people and feel, 2 spots likely adding 3rd in upcoming year.

I'm a first time poster, but I've looked over match stats in past to give myself hope. I hope this helps those of you who are borderline.
Overall advice : If you are US senior you have a solid shot at matching. You need to put the effort into overcoming weakness in your app by Networking, Clinical Grades, Research... etc. My general feeling was that overcoming <220 step 1 would be very challenging. Step 1 220-230 will keep the door open at some places as long as rest of your app is strong. Get as many interviews as you can through aways, expressing additional interest, and having mentors vouch for you. From there, prepare for your interview and be yourself. If Step 1 is your weakness, apply broadly. My only regret was that I didn't apply to all 115ish programs. Above all else, stay positive.
--Board Scores: I - 226 II - did not submit (only 1 program asked for my step 2)
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top half class
--Reputation of medical school: Middle Tier Midwestern (Strong Ophtho)
--Research: 1 ENT pub, 1 Ophtho Pub, 1 Ophtho Chapter, 1 Ophtho Abstract, 5+ research experiences
--Honors in clerkships: All including Ophtho electives ( except FM )
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): 9 invites (2/3 aways invited), attended all 6 Chicago, URochester, EVMS. Did not attend NYMC valhalla
--Where matched: 1/8 Solid Chicago Program
--Anything that helped your app: Extremely supportive mentors, Strong LofR, expressing additional interest to programs via email/mentor calling, strong interviews, NETWORKING residents/attendings
Matching at any Chicago program should be more than sufficient for most of us. URochester had great program, seemed like location was only challenge. EVMS had great people and feel, 2 spots likely adding 3rd in upcoming year.

Thanks for posting! Just to remind ppl you can also post your own stats!

And just some advice to add to above. Great job matching but this person clearly is from the Chicago area. Chicago programs are very in bred and primarily take Chicago students. You are at a big advantage if you are from an area with many programs. Someone without being from an area with many programs would have a much harder time matching. The person above had tons of research which was probably a must to make up for the step 1. Additionally you probably need to do a research year to get that kind of research but the poster did not clarify.

I'm not trying to belittle their success, but others complained these threads are bad because they're unrealistic. I'm just trying to keep a clear picture of reality for future applicants. If you're from Chicago or New York you have a big advantage. Regional bias is huge in this.

Last edited:
Agree
Thanks for posting! Just to remind ppl you can also post your own stats!

And just some advice to add to above. Great job matching but this person clearly is from the Chicago area. Chicago programs are very in bred and primarily take Chicago students. You are at a big advantage if you are from an area with many programs. Someone without being from an area with many programs would have a much harder time matching. The person above had tons of research which was probably a must to make up for the step 1. Additionally you probably need to do a research year to get that kind of research but the poster did not clarify.

I'm not trying to belittle their success, but others complained these threads are bad because they're unrealistic. I'm just trying to keep a clear picture of reality for future applicants. If you're from Chicago or New York you have a big advantage. Regional bias is huge in this.
agree with regional bias. No research year , just find people that are supportive and publishing

Agree

agree with regional bias. No research year , just find people that are supportive and publishing

That's another interesting point. If you're from a school with a strong ophtho program, you can easily jump on some research and get published because top schools are specifically ranked high for the amount of research they have. "casualguy" is really not the casual ophtho applicant as his school's location and name helped him immensely. Be forewarned, future ophtho applicants lol. Someone in their position at a school with a regular program and regular location would have a much tougher time at matching and probably need to do a research year. Research is huge in ophtho. Just keepin' it real.

Haha ....... Yea.......
Moral of the story: don't let anyone tell you can't overcome something. Do your best and be content with knowing you did everything you could.

Just wanted to post as a middle-of-the-road applicant to help future applicants see that it CAN be done, even if you're not a superstar!
--Board Scores: Step I & II - low 240s
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA, top 30% of class
--Reputation of medical school: low-to-mid Midwestern program; no ophtho program
--Research: lots of basic science including 2 ophtho projects; 2 poster presentations (non-ophtho), 1 pub (non-ophtho)
--Honors in clerkships: H in Family, Neuro, Ophtho ; HP in Medicine, Surg, OB, Psych
--# and where you did away rotations: 3 in my home state; was not offered an interview at any
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): 8 invites (Howard, Geisinger, LSU, Beaumont, OSU, Duke, VCU, UF Jacksonville); attended 7
--Where matched: 5/8
--Anything that helped your app: Very positive LOR though none from big-wigs; lots of research; interesting hobbies (got asked about them regularly); making connections with people who knew people through ANY route (attendings at my home school, family members). Getting to know residents and attendings while on down time during the interview day. Ultimately matched at a place where I had no connections but had a good personality fit. Coming from a school that had no ophtho program was tough, but I spun it in a positive light (I worked really hard to get opportunities to overcome this setback). I'm cheerful and bubbly by nature, so during interviews, I let that particular strength shine. Make sure that you showcase your strengths!
--Comments on specific programs: Nothing specific. Generally had a good experience. Would be more than glad to offer more info via PM.

Overall - You CAN do it! Ophtho match stats are very favorable for US grads. Just go in there and own it. Be confident and be yourself. On interview day, get to know your co-interviewees and the residents - show that you're a friendly person who's easy to get along with. Be ready to defend any deficiencies in your application (mine was the lack of an ophtho program at my school). Know the type of place where you're interviewing, e.g., research-heavy or clinical-heavy. Start making connections early; don't be afraid to approach people. Even attendings who didn't know me well were very willing to go to bat for me. When it comes to aways, be as involved as possible, and get to know the PD EARLY! Reach out in person or by email the second you arrive at that campus. This was something I wish I'd done; it would have improved my chances greatly due to the timing of committee decisions on interview invites.

--Board Scores: Between 205-210 yes this is correct!!! Step 2 Between 238-241
--AOA and class rank: No AOA, school doesn't have class rank (Praise God for that)
--Reputation of medical school: Not on top 25
--Research: some ophtho with no publications, 3 non-ophtho publications, 2-3 posters and 3-4 abstracts. I have 2 years of experience with micro surgeries so that was very helpful.
--Honors in clerkships: NONE, passed everything
--# and where you did away rotations: I couldn't do aways 2/2 my step 1, I was very discouraged to do so.
--# of programs you applied to: 70
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): I only interviewed at ONE program
--Where matched: my only one on my rank list
--Anything that helped your app: I know some of you won't agree with the existence of God but I am a Christian and through this whole process I believed that it was God's will for me to go into ophtho. I prayed to the Lord to please help me and somehow everything worked out. It was terrifying going through this process and getting too many rejections, but I prayed, I trusted Him and He took care of me. I gave my best at my ophtho rotation, I had a humble attitude and I didn't try to impress people by showing them how much I knew, I asked questions and let them teach me. I was willing to do anything from rooming patients, cleaning equipment, wheeling patients out, carrying the little ophtho suitcase on call.
With that being said, I applied to internal medicine categorical just in case I didn't match

Reactions: 8 users
This last guy.... 1/1
Amazing; Just amazing....

--Board Scores: 1 -- 263, 2 -- 258
--AOA and class rank: No AOA at my school; top 10%
--Reputation of medical school: Well reputed American program within foreign med school
--Research: One ophtho case report, Seven basic science pubs (one first author)
--Honors in clerkships: All
--# and where you did away rotations: UCLA, Einstein, GW, Mount Sinai
--# of programs you applied to: 90+
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Med Col of Georgia, Yale, GW, Einstein, UCLA, Cole Eye, Boston U, UVA, Ohio State, Bronx Leb, Stony Brook, LSU New Orl, LSU Shreveport, U Minnesota, UT San Antonio. Did not attend -- NYMC, Geisinger MC, Univ. South Florida, Tulane
--Where matched: #4
--Anything that helped your app: Letter of rec from big wig, stated interest in academics, positive attitude

Yale New Haven Medical Center Medium sized program (5 residents per year). Rotations include VA, YNHH (which is like a county), DANA, Hill, St. Raphael, and the Bahamas. Call is manageable all three years and there is infrastructure available for residents to participate in basic or clinical science research. Clinical and surgical volume is good, for a northeast program. Didactics are relatively well organized. Facilities are nice. Cost of living is relatively good. Faculty are dedicated to teaching. There is a good balance of autonomy and guidance.

U Virginia Collegial atmosphere, small program, well-rounded. Clinical research is possible in a number of areas, especially considering the number of clinical trials that are happening. Basic science research is particularly strong in retina via Dr. Yates. There are also possibilities to do research in collaboration with the university campus. Clinical autonomy is stressed early on and the resident clinic is certainly an asset. That the program also is attached to a VA is certainly also an asset, but rotations at the VA only happen in the third year, and only 4 months are spent there (I think). Surgical numbers are said to be average (mid-100s?). Attendings are approachable and overall very nice. The program director Dr. Johnson is extremely friendly and seems to care deeply about the residents. The chair Dr. Netland comes across as a measured, controlled leader who is set on maintaing a high educational standard. There are excellent faculty members in each subspecialty area but, as it is a small program, there are certain subspecialties with only one attending. They are certainly strong in glaucoma (Drs. Netland and Johnson are both glaucoma specialists) and they have a new uveitis attending who seems very nice (and has an awesome pedigree). Dr. Newman gets mixed reviews from residents but is very intelligent and overall well respected. The didactics are well organized and there is a morning conference each day which covers both case presentations and the clinical/basic sciences. The facilities are nice, rich with equipment and already fully operational with Epic EMR, and the location is fantastic--UVA itself is extraordinarily beautiful. On the horizon they will be getting an eyeSI.

Ohio State University Larger program, six residents per year. Well represented in all subspecialties, even plastics. Research opportunities are plentiful, including studies on the ocular surface (led by Dr. Mauger). Residents are happy, and Columbus is a nice, relatively clean city. Rotations include Peds (in a particularly strong department) at an excellent Children's hospital and two VA's. Surgical numbers are in the ~85th percentile. Didactics are organized. There is an in-house ocular pathologist.

U Minnesota - Mpls. Mid size program. Many options for basic science research. County hospital and VA affiliated with program. Strong surgical numbers. Good balance of autonomy and supervision, both in the clinic and in the OR. Responsive residency program director (Dr. Wright) and strong leadership from Dr. van Kujik. Glaucoma and cornea services are undergoing changes. There is an in house ophthalmic pathologist, Dr. Cameron. Pediatrics and retina have numerous attendings and are well represented. I'm not sure if there is uveitis, or oncology. The plastics department is strong, and there is a fellowship program. I believe Dr. Lee is the only neuro faculty member, need to check on that.

Boston University Medium sized program. Strong clinical experience – Children's hospital is similar to county hospital, VA is shared with MEEI, BUMC is a level one trauma but is not a tertiary referral center. Research is pretty much only clinical. Residents are busy on call. Facilities are nice. Faculty is well represented in all subspecialties, perhaps with the exception of oculoplastics and neuro, which only have one attending for each. Residents appear to work particularly hard but do seem happy. Didactics have been recently strengthened – morning lecture every day at 7 am.

UT San Antonio Medium sized program. Reportedly good surgical numbers. Friendly faculty, strong didactics (7 am every day, BCSC topic reviews, quizzes each month). Associated with the military, which brings in excellent talent and research opportunities. Very strong in imaging research. As a resident, with the schedule as it is, research is possible and can involve basic or clinical or both. If a resident demonstrates competency on the quizzes, they are given the green light to participate in research. VA and county hospital settings included in the training. Residents do vitrectomies and numerous plastics procedures. Plastics takes care of orbit cases and also places plaques for melanoma. There are two ocular pathologists, and there is a part-time ocular pathology rotation as part of the neuro-ophthalmology block. San Antonio is supposedly a decent city. It is crucial to speak Spanish in the clinic.

LSU / Ochsner Larger program, six residents per year (down from eight), multi-site. Average to above average surgical numbers. Lots of opportunities to do basic science research in some genuinely cool areas. Residents have good hours (typically done with clinical day at 5 pm or so) and plenty of time for research and extracurriculars. There is support for research projects (i.e. statistician, librarian, etc.) but no dedicated research time. The variety of clinical experiences make it hard to make any general statement about whether the program is more hand-holding or if residents are more autonomous. Variety of attendings in each subspecialty field, and a great educational environment where attendings and residents communicate well. (I am not sure how feedback is given, and I'm not sure how residents are evaluated.) A bit light on the didactics (only one grand rounds meeting per week). Most didactics are taught by senior residents. Numerous retina, cornea and glaucoma attendings. Fewer oculoplastics, neuro and uveitis attendings. Good results in the fellowship match. Fantastic city but car required to work in N.O.

SUNY Stony Brook Small program, friendly attendings, very nurturing atmosphere with a lot of positive vibes. The residents are a tight knit group and all seem to get along pretty well. Overall the residents seem very happy. The town itself is suburban and (for no particular reason) leaves something to be desired. Maybe it is because there is not much social life outside of the medical staff. (I am reminded of the story of Alan who met his girlfriend, an optometrist, in the clinic, so I suppose the isolation can be looked upon as an advantage.) A particularly strong aspect of this program are the didactics – they are extraordinarily well organized and there is a great deal of focus on ensuring that residents learn theoretical and clinical ophthalmology very well. I actually like that the program is so small, that the attendings are enthusiastic and that everyone seems to be a team player. The surgical numbers are OK (cataracts in the mid 100's) and the clinical volume is high. They will soon have a resident clinic. The wet lab facilities are clean and the hospital itself appears to be very nice. There are numerous opportunities to do research, and it was stressed that basic research is certainly possible, especially if there is a collaboration with professors in vision science at the university.

Bronx-Lebanon Hosp., NY Small, tight knit program. Two residents per year. No basic research, but clinical research is possible. Community program, many indigent patients, high clinic volume. Surgical volume is good, above average. Dr. Levine is extraordinarily nice, and is from Los Angeles. Dr. Mayers is more stern but also nice. Dr. Blace is extraordinarily intelligent, would love to train with her. There is not a whole lot on the horizon for the program – perhaps some expansion of clinic size and some new equipment, including an ERG. Residents are given autonomy from the start. There is no VA or county hospital associated with this program, but St. Barnabas is a level 1 trauma center and is loaded with pathology. Likewise, much pathology can be found at Bronx Leb. I get the feeling that this program has a community service type of feel, which is certainly attractive and endearing. Speaking Spanish is a huge asset here, and were I to be a Bronx Leb resident, I would come out of residency here a crushing level of fluency. The hospital looked busy and chaotic, which will probably make for some interesting clinical encounters.

Med C Georgia The South is very charming –- people are polite and friendly. Medium sized hospital that serves a large patient population. Level 1 trauma center, VA and Prison system are part of program. Approachable attendings, cordial and friendly residents. No fellows. Good surgical numbers. Facilities are relatively new, equipment is up to date, EyeSI coming (or has already arrived?). First years are slammed and second years get almost a year without call. Research is lacking, but is on the up and up; according to Dr. Nussbaum. Chair and program director are both very nice, very approachable, very focused on making resident experience excellent. Jewish community certainly exists. The area around the hospital is lackluster but there are some nicer areas just up a nearby hill. The positives of this program are that there isn't a whole lot to do in the surrounding area, so there is minimal distraction. The residents fly solo relatively early on. There are good surgical numbers, and tough clinical training which no doubt will whip me in to shape as an ophthalmologist clinician. The negatives are that the research is lacking, that ocular pathology is not a big part of training, and that there are few attendings per resident (i.e. teaching is limited to the perspective of that particular attending. This is a double edged sword in that one on one time is maximized but only one person's approach is given.) The didactics also seem to be limited to the grand rounds presentations, which are certainly valuable, but I'm curious about academic activities throughout the year (I don't think there are many but I acually am not sure about how didactics work after the first few weeks of residency.)

LSU - Shreveport Autonomy in the clinic. Astronomical surgical numbers. Minimal research and light didactics. Clinic days end at 5 pm. First year call is q8 weekdays and q8 weekends. There is plenty of time to study. Dr. Redens is a no bullcrap instructor and program director. Dr. Texada is extraordinarily nice. Overall the department is run by experienced surgeons and clinicians, and there is a great deal of attention paid to one-on-one clinical and surgical training. I have no doubt that I would come out of there a competent and confident comprehensive ophthalmologist. Would it forward my goal of going in to academics? I couldn't say. At least it's encouraging that two of three residents end up pursuing fellowship positions, and peripherally it seems like the chiefs end up matching in to excellent programs. Cornea at UT Southwestern is almost a shoe in for halfway decent residents. The residents seemed happy, but I only met a few. Three of the four residents I met were Shreveport locals.

--Board Scores: Step 1 & Step 2: 230s. Step 2 < Step 1 and visible to programs
--AOA and class rank: Not AOA. Middle or lower 50%.
--Reputation of medical school: Nope.
--Research: 1 pub in major journal, one abstract at ARVO, two pending manuscripts
--Honors in clerkships: Mix of HP/P overall. HP surgery, P medicine.
--# and where you did away rotations: 3 aways, one of which was research
--# of programs you applied to: ~85
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Albany, Drexel, EVMS, Geisinger, Penn State, Rutgers/UMDNJ, Temple, UPenn
--Where matched: #2
--Anything that helped your app: One big-wig letter, and a program director willing to reach out by email. Cool jobs on my resume, and unique hobbies that made for great interview conversation. Strong personal statement (several remarks on this).
- EVMS had only one full-time faculty member, which seemed weird, but they offered LASIK certification and seemed invested in making you marketable after graduation.
- Drexel seemed to be on the way up, with a very involved program director and new, young faculty interested in teaching. Pleasantly surprised.
- Geisinger had huge peds/strab numbers and solid connections with retina fellowships out in CA. Less strong in plastics. Planning for expansion (by 2015?) into a huge clinic space.
- Penn State had promising fellowship matches. Space seemed a big limiting factor for their busy clinics. Interview day was busy, ~14 interviews where you meet the whole dept.
- Rutgers undersold themselves. They had diverse pathology, strong numbers for a New York program, great Retina name, manageable (tho in-house) call among 5 residents, but described their ideal candidate as “like a marine” and implied poor finances & support staff.

I also wanted to share some advice for people like me, with average academics:

- Step 2: If you take Step 2 early and it hurts you, don’t feel obliged to include the score report in your initial CAS packet. Eventually programs will receive the official report, but you don’t have to stick a sub-par score under their noses at the outset and get yourself screened out. A friend with similar Step 1/2 scores and research chose not to include Step 2 in the CAS packet and got 6-7 more interview offers than I did.

- Interview Tactics: Letters of interest, especially for geographic reasons, were surprisingly effective. On my private interview calendar, I listed the schools that interviewed on each date in priority order -- this took time, but was helpful for responding quickly to late interview offers (which trickled down through more competitive candidates just like first-round offers, so tended to be for days with a lot of conflicts). Also: Be mindful of the dates that top programs interview (I added them to my calendar for reference). When SDN starts to report that Bascom/Wills/etc. have sent out their interviews, check which of your schools also interview on the Bascom/Wills/etc. dates. Those schools are likely to get some cancellations — so it’s a good time to write to them to remind them of your interest.

- Attire: I noticed some things people got wrong on the interview trail, so here’s a rundown of some of the fiddly details. Here’s a video of a useful way to fold suits to minimize wrinkles if you have to put them in a suitcase, and if you don’t have access to an iron, you can steam up your bathroom with the suit hanging inside to get some of the wrinkles out (leave enough time for the suit to dry afterward or it feels clammy). Remember to take out the tacking stitches that hold down the vents/slits on the back of your jacket — those look ridiculous. Jacket pockets with flaps over them will still look good if you take out the stitches that hold them shut, but pockets without flaps can get distorted after dry cleaning, so leave those stitched closed. Socks match pants; in skirts, wear pantyhose. Ties hang to the belt. Shave with the grain. Don’t overdo cologne or perfume. Also, I know this is dead obvious, but don’t come in with wet hair or looking half-done — I overheard a resident disparaging an applicant who did that to the program director.

- TY/prelim: Upcoming applicants, if you don't yet know this, be aware that lots of places are open to newly matched ophtho applicants calling in January to ask for interviews, and there are a bunch of prelim cancellations around the same time, as people find out they matched far away or get exhausted and withdraw. So don't fret about applying to every city where you have a categorical program (totally impractical if casting a wide ophtho net). Just apply locally, and to high-priority places, and plan to tack on interviews in the area of your categorical program in January.

242 average step1.

Glad I matched when I did :-D

by the match rate and the average step 1 score looks like this year has been tougher than recent ones...congrats everyone!

I know there was a bit of a panic during the interview season about the "record high" number of applicants this year, but for the record, the # of applicants in this year's cycle was around the same as it had been in the past.

For the future applicants, try to take it with a grain of salt when applicants around you panic about the record high # of applicants applying into ophtho that year.

I know there was a bit of a panic during the interview season about the "record high" number of applicants this year, but for the record, the # of applicants in this year's cycle was around the same as it had been in the past.

For the future applicants, try to take it with a grain of salt when applicants around you panic about the record high # of applicants applying into ophtho that year.

Corn Dog: You are so right...I too remember being worried about the "record number" of applicants when I was applying, and I totally agree to take what people say about the number of applicants with a grain of salt lest you lose excessive sleep/hair/bladder continence while applying and interviewing.
Interestingly, in this 2014 match, 611 applicants submitted a rank list, up from 583 the year before, representing a 5% increase over the 2013 match, and the relative competition for each position was also increased compared to 2012 and 2013. While I agree that this year's match did not include a "record high" number of applicants, it does represent an increase from recent years, which was likely exaggerated by understandably-nervous applicants. Expanding the view to years 2004-2014, the current 2014 match was less competitive than the past decade as a whole, but it will be interesting to see if 2014 represents the beginning of a future trend toward more applicants for the same number of positions. When I was looking at the match data on the SFMatch website, I noticed they have data from 2004-2014. Out of curiosity and because I'm a total numbers/data-nerd, I made a few figures demonstrating several trends I noticed, including usmle scores, number of applications submitted, and this concept of relative competition for each position. Here is a link to the figures in case anyone is interested. Congrats again on the match everyone!

Congratulations to everyone that matched! It's such a big relief to be done and on greener pasture.

For those looking to apply, my biggest advice is to have a solid strategy when gearing up to apply for ophthalmology. It's such a small field and who you know and how you perform (USMLE and away rotations) are all important in factoring interview invitations and ultimately matching. Aside from test scores, I found these criteria to be very important:

1. Have something unique about yourself that you can enthusiastically talk about. This can be in your ps or listed as a work/research thing in your application. Be prepared to talk about it if it's mentioned in your application. I had something fun that I did after college and before med school that was frequently brought up as a conversation talking point/ice-breaker. Generally, the residency people want to know that you're human and not a number-crunching robot.
2. LETTERS - get the strongest letters possible. I was very fortunate to have a combination of a strong letters from a big wig and academic ophthalmologists that touched on my academic portfolio, character, and ambition/invested passion for pursuing ophthalmology.
3. Away rotations - set these up early! read, read, read, read. They will expect you to know nada, but if you can demonstrate that you understand the presenting pathology in clinic and demonstrate that you can use the indirect/direct lens you will stand out. Be inquisitive, but not intrusive. A solid performance on an away can go a long way.

Lastly, research is important--to a degree. While publications are important (especially for top programs), I find building a professional relationship with your mentor and networking like crazy are absolutely critical. These people will be the ones going to bat for you. You can only do so much on your application to sell yourself. It's the well-respected professionals' opinion that matters a lot more than you think. Again, it's a small club...

Good luck everyone!

Interestingly, in this 2014 match, 611 applicants submitted a rank list, up from 583 the year before, representing a 5% increase over the 2013 match, and the relative competition for each position was also increased compared to 2012 and 2013. While I agree that this year's match did not include a "record high" number of applicants, it does represent an increase from recent years, which was likely exaggerated by understandably-nervous applicants. Expanding the view to years 2004-2014, the current 2014 match was less competitive than the past decade as a whole, but it will be interesting to see if 2014 represents the beginning of a future trend toward more applicants for the same number of positions.

True. It was definitely a competitive year this year. I would even say that it was probably the most competitive it's been in the last 10+ years. Even though the total # of applicants was significantly higher 10 years ago, the step 1 score average was substantially lower (228 ver 242).

Additionally, although the total # of applicants this year was NOT "record high," I do think that the # of applicants from the "top" med schools was higher than average this year, which would make the applicant pool more competitive. (UCSF, Baylor, Columbia, and Penn come to mind).

Also, the average # of applications per applicant has been going up dramatically. It was a whopping 60 applications per applicant this year compared to 41 just 10 years ago. I believe this has forced some programs to interview more applicants per spot (the exception are the "top" ophtho programs, which had interviewed at around 8 applicants to 1 spot ratio). I remember UIC interviewing ~96 people this year for just 6 spots, which I think is ridiculously high.

Like you said, I also think it'll be really interesting to see whether this trend will continue into the future. Personally, I can't see how it could get more competitive than it was this year, but it's certainly possible. I'm just glad I matched. :)

--Board Scores: Step I 250’s, step II 250’s
--AOA and class rank: AOA, Top 20%
--Reputation of medical school: Top 10
--Research: All ophtho -- 1 first author case report, 1 second author, 3 third author, 2 poster presentations in ophtho and 1 poster unrelated. 1st author ophtho in process of submitting. Took an additional research year between 3rd and 4th year of medical school to do ophtho rsesearch
--Honors in clerkships: (H/P/F only) Honors in medicine, pediatrics, surgery, neurology, OB. Pass in psych and family med.
--# where you did away rotations: No away rotations
--# of programs you applied to: 36
--Where invited for interviews: Invited and attended = UCI, IEEI, Utah, UCSF, Stanford, CPMC, UCSD, U Penn, OHSU, Duke, U Wash, Miami, UCLA, MEEI, Wills. Invited and did not attend: Baylor, UTSW, MUSC, USC, UC Davis, Cleveland Clinic, Columbia, NYU, Mount Sinai
--Where matched: Matched at my number 1
--Anything that helped your app: Good board scores open the door, but being able to talk enthusiastically about my research, experiences abroad, service work/teaching I felt were the most helpful. Playing a college sport came up in just about every interview. I had a slightly outside of the box essay that talked about my hobbies and ophtho, which also stimulated a lot of conversation. I had one letter from a very well known person – also helped I think. The remainder of my letters were very personal and strong. I tried to be myself on interview days since I think programs are looking for people who they will get along well with for 3 years. There are so many awesome programs out there! In the end it is about finding the program with the best fit…got to believe your gut and have some faith in the match process.

Several thoughts:

1. This process can feel totally random sometimes – there were interviews I thought I would get that I didn’t and one’s I got that I was surprised by. If there is a program out there that you really love, no harm in letting them know.

2. Don’t believe the rumors/hearsay – I truly believe that you can’t get a good sense for a program unless you go there and see if for yourself. I was super pleasantly surprised by several programs!

3. There is something to be said for looking the part – nice suit, walkable heels, minimal makeup, and hair that is brushed and out of your face. I’ve heard people commenting negatively on how someone looks – that’s not what we want to be remembered for!

4. Southwest Airlines is the best! You can cancel flights for no cost and apply the credit to a later flight. Double points if you can get a good credit card (chase preferred has 1:1 point transfer to United and Southwest) or and airline credit card – then you can really rack it up! I’ve already earned 2 free flights.

5. Stay with friends if you can, but if you are looking for a hotel then Priceline bidding can find some awesome deals. Also recommend Priceline bidding for rental cars.

6. Enjoy the process! One of my favorite parts of this whole thing was meeting awesome people from all over the country.

--Board Scores: Step 1 239 (Step 2 238, not shared with programs, intentionally taken later)
--AOA and class rank: AOA, top 15%
--Reputation of medical school: Outside of the top 50
--Research: 5 high profile non ophtho, 3 first author, +1 ophtho case report
--Honors in clerkships: All honors
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 away, advised against doing more by program
--# of programs you applied to: 51
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): MEEI, MCW, Columbia, Duke, UC Davis, Case W, Cle Clinic, Brown, UMD, BU, Tufts. Invited but did not attend: Stanford, UWV, NYU
--Where matched: 5/11
--Anything that helped your app: Longstanding relationships with faculty
--Comments:

I found that I was a bit disappointed on match day only because I placed too much weight on kind comments from my interviewers at my highest ranked programs in response to thank you emails. I was told that I was given "the very highest endorsement" by multiple committee members and even that I would probably be ranked to match by someone who apparently did not have the power to do so. Buyer beware!

--Board Scores: step 1: low 250s/step 2: 256
--AOA and class rank: not AOA
--Reputation of medical school: (top 10, top 25, etc): top 25
--Research: (none, some ophtho with no publications, ophtho publications): 1 surgery publication, 1 basic science pub - both not 1st author. Had two 2nd author ophtho pubs submitted by time of interview, 1 AAO abstract accepted, 1 ARVO abstract accepted
--Honors in clerkships: (especially surgery and medicine): Honors in med, surg, ob/gyn, pediatrics. HP in psych, neuro, amb care
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 aways in top 15 programs, do them if you are genuinely interested in trying a different location or need a letter of recommendation. Doing them for the sake of getting interviews is really not worth it and may hurt you
--# of programs you applied to: 53
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): cleveland clinic, northwestern, yale, columbia, nyeei, nyu, boston univ, wills, ucla, kresge, and a few smaller east coast programs = 14
--Where matched: 11/14, thankfully #11 is an awesome program. I will admit that match day was not as joyous for me as it was for other people but definitely beats not matching.
I think from my experience (not having taken a year off and having an average ophtho dept at my school), that really put me at a disadvantage compared to some of the more accomplished applicants for some of the more competitive programs I was interviewing at. Things that helped me was getting an awesome big-wig letter that was mentioned all the time. I had a pretty well rounded app in terms of scores, grades, and a decent amount of research for someone that didn't take a yr off, people asked about my AAO abstract alot. Things that hurt me was one so-so letter from a big-wig (that was hinted during one of my interviews), so it is def important to get an amazing letter vs having the big-wig name. I wish I had more insight going into the rank process, so definitely talk to your advisors/mentors beforehand. Believe it or not, having interesting hobbies will go a long way to helping you stand out on interview day. The interview process sucks, the grind of travelling, those optional mixers, and long interview days but I made some awesome friends on the trail and at the end of the day almost all of us will match and become ophthalmologists. Don't fixate on the programs you love, you will prob be fine where ever you go and don't believe programs when they tell you they are ranking you to match (one of the programs I interviews at said that and didn't happen).
Northshore-LIJ: interview day was horrible, had 0 breaks in betw my 7-8 speed dating interviews. One faculty asked if I wanted to have children. Was told by an away student that the residents are afraid of the faculty. Don't apply there.
Boston univ: I didn't know much about the program before my interview. Strong surgical numbers across the board (phacos around 150-160s and a strong peds rotation at childrens' of boston). Busy clinic. Call is q4 and a nice group of residents. They have a good relationship w/Mass Eye, so many of them end up doing fellowships there. Not a super academic place but very clinically oriented.

--Board Scores: I-238 II-254
--AOA and class rank: AOA (Sr)
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: 2nd auth in minor journal, poster and abstract at school forum, 2 case reports in the works not official
--Honors in clerkships: medicine, OBGyn, Psych, Fam
--# of programs you applied to: 35
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Mizzou, LSU-Shrev, Baylor, UTSW, UTSA, Arkansas
--Where matched: 5 of 6
--Anything that helped your app: Not really. I think that step I hurt me. Maybe even noting my class rank as well instead of just saying top quartile/AOA and letting them wonder
Arkansas: great PD (won best in America recently). Good newer stand-alone building for ophtho alone. Good surgery numbers (>200 cataracts)
Baylor: Nice faculty, best technology, best VA for ophtho, good county hospital (like Emery, UTSW, UCLA etc), very good surgery numbers (260s). Overall best program I saw. Not a fan of Houston traffic/downtown location, parking costs. Lots of Spanish
LSU-Shrev: Best surgery numbers (~300), not my top choice of city to live in
Mizzou: faculty like family, good surgery numbers (~200), quiet call (+ or - dep on viewpoint), great town for families (Columbia), SEC sports, good outdoors close
UTSA: train residents in refractive sx (LASIK), good family town, solid program. Learn Spanish.
UTSW: good sx numbers (230s), deep faculty in ev spec, good job plcmnt. Old buildings (NOT using New Parkland). Lots of Spanish. Good county hospital/volume.

Look similar to me? Apply to more than 35 programs. Consider aways if you want interviews at aTm or OU. Broad application protects you against fluke variations in # of regional applicants since ophtho is very regionally biased and the n of applicants is not very large. Surprised by my match, both positively and negatively, compared to interviewer comments. It is their job to sell you so you rank them high and then they get their pick. Plus, they've had practice we haven't, giving them the upper hand. Step 1 is much, much more important than class rank.

--Board Scores: I-238 II-254
--AOA and class rank: AOA (Sr)
--Reputation of medical school: top 25
--Research: 2nd auth in minor journal, poster and abstract at school forum, 2 case reports in the works not official
--Honors in clerkships: medicine, OBGyn, Psych, Fam
--# of programs you applied to: 35
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): Mizzou, LSU-Shrev, Baylor, UTSW, UTSA, Arkansas
--Where matched: 5 of 6
--Anything that helped your app: Not really. I think that step I hurt me. Maybe even noting my class rank as well instead of just saying top quartile/AOA and letting them wonder
Arkansas: great PD (won best in America recently). Good newer stand-alone building for ophtho alone. Good surgery numbers (>200 cataracts)
Baylor: Nice faculty, best technology, best VA for ophtho, good county hospital (like Emery, UTSW, UCLA etc), very good surgery numbers (260s). Overall best program I saw. Not a fan of Houston traffic/downtown location, parking costs. Lots of Spanish
LSU-Shrev: Best surgery numbers (~300), not my top choice of city to live in
Mizzou: faculty like family, good surgery numbers (~200), quiet call (+ or - dep on viewpoint), great town for families (Columbia), SEC sports, good outdoors close
UTSA: train residents in refractive sx (LASIK), good family town, solid program. Learn Spanish.
UTSW: good sx numbers (230s), deep faculty in ev spec, good job plcmnt. Old buildings (NOT using New Parkland). Lots of Spanish. Good county hospital/volume.

Look similar to me? Apply to more than 35 programs. Consider aways if you want interviews at aTm or OU. Broad application protects you against fluke variations in # of regional applicants since ophtho is very regionally biased and the n of applicants is not very large. Surprised by my match, both positively and negatively, compared to interviewer comments. It is their job to sell you so you rank them high and then they get their pick. Plus, they've had practice we haven't, giving them the upper hand. Step 1 is much, much more important than class rank.

Do you feel your Step 1 score was that much of a hindrance. My step score is similar to yours at 243 and was wondering how much of a hindrance it was. Is there any other advice u would give yourself with finishing 3rd year and starting 4th year?

Do you feel your Step 1 score was that much of a hindrance. My step score is similar to yours at 243 and was wondering how much of a hindrance it was. Is there any other advice u would give yourself with finishing 3rd year and starting 4th year?

So when you apply you'll either be right at the Step 1 average or maybe a few points below it. Your Step 1 score won't get you screened by any means, but the problem is there will be tons of ppl with better scores. You always want something that makes you stick out from everyone else, and only a Step 1 250+ will do that when it comes to board scores. Research or letters is a way you could stand out from everyone. Don't downplay those, they are huge. The ppl who stick out, albeit with board scores or AOA or research or letters, are the ones who basically get all the interviews and are the top choice by most programs. The ppl who are in the middle easily get thrown around and match at random places. That's just the reality. I see absolutely no reason you would have trouble matching.

So when you apply you'll either be right at the Step 1 average or maybe a few points below it. Your Step 1 score won't get you screened by any means, but the problem is there will be tons of ppl with better scores. You always want something that makes you stick out from everyone else, and only a Step 1 250+ will do that when it comes to board scores. Research or letters is a way you could stand out from everyone. Don't downplay those, they are huge. The ppl who stick out, albeit with board scores or AOA or research or letters, are the ones who basically get all the interviews and are the top choice by most programs. The ppl who are in the middle easily get thrown around and match at random places. That's just the reality. I see absolutely no reason you would have trouble matching.

thanks for the advice. Its reassuring that I have a good chance to match next year, because as long as I can get to do ophtho, I am fine with going anywhere.

wow!! congrats on matching. im surprised w/ how many ppl matched with <235 on SDN. honestly before i clicked, i was expecting everyone to have 260 with liek 10 first author pubs hahahha. its good to see something different

--Board Scores: 238/260
--AOA and class rank: not known (but not AOA)
--Reputation of medical school: top 10
--Research: few case reports from clinical year, few journal articles, handful of ARVO/AAO/ASRS abstracts (lots of research during medical school as well as a dedicated research year)
--Honors in clerkships: medicine, HP everything else
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 in CA
--# of programs you applied to: 70
--Where invited for interviews (both offers and the ones you actually attended): ~40 offers total at a mix of top and bottom tier programs. Attended: Cleveland Clinic, Iowa, Utah, IEEI, UPMC, Duke, NYEEI, Columbia, Cornell, NYU, Albert Einstein, Stanford, CPMC, UCI, Penn/Scheie, Tufts
--Where matched: #2/16
--Anything that helped your app: research year was helpful not just for publications (although that does help) but for making connections that became pivotal during this process.
--Comments: Once applications were in, the process was fun (albeit nervewracking at times). I met interesting people that I still keep in touch with, and it was extremely worthwhile looking at different programs throughout the country before making up the rank list.

Utah - amazing surgical volume (300-400 phacos), small interview group of 8 where they get to know you intimately, 30 minutes from world-class skiing (they took us during interview day!), nurturing environment.
IEEI - an all-around amazing program with an ideal location in Chicago, decent surgical volume, great research opportunities, and great fellowship placement.
Stanford - the biggest surprise of the season (for me at least). amazing fellowship matches and job placement, super super happy residents, great research/entrepreneurial opportunities, ideal location in palo alto, and $$$.

hey everyone, congrats on matching again! Now that many of us are finishing up our med school rotations (!) and preparing for a (hopefully) cush intern year, I thought it would be nice to encourage everyone to post your impressions in the program-specific threads. I think they are a fantastic resource that I personally used throughout the interview season, not only to get more info about each program, but also to identify possible "negatives" and make sure to keep an eye out for them or ask about them on interview day. I've been advising some MS3s at my school and it's surprising to hear how many outdated rumors are floating around out there! these program-specific threads are a great opportunity to set the record straight.

-Board Scores: 252/261
--AOA : Yes
--Reputation of medical school: Solid upper middle tier
--Research: 1 ARVO abstract (1st), 3 ongoing projects at time of interview (1st author)
--Honors in clerkships: Honors in all
- Away rotations: 1 Away at a top 10 program (no interview offered)- I would still say it was helpful
--# of programs you applied to: 50 ish
--Where invited for interviews : Rochester (NY), MCW, IEEI, Oklahoma, CPMC, Colorado, Emory, NYU, Columbia, Tufts, Bascom Palmer, Boston Univeristy, UMDNJ. Did not attend : Case Western, Mt Sinai, UTSW, UPenn, Georgetown,
--Where matched: #1 choice
--Anything else that helped your app: Personal letters of Rec / phone call from home school, varied interests outside of medicine, good interviewing was probably a strength.

Tips:
1. Application: Apply broadly to many schools. Vary location and reputation. Interview offers and rejections were often surprising. You can always cancel if you have too many. Since the dates are fairly clustered, you will likely have to pick between interviews.
2. Interview Scheduling: Make a list of your programs applied to and write down what dates each program holds interviews. You have to respond to offers immediately (within minutes) to get your preferred date. It is helpful to have this info on your mobile device as offers from different programs come in (i.e so you don't book an interview on a day your home school or top choice has interviews)
3. Interviews: Have fun and be yourself. You will meet some great people and visit new places. Being confident / upbeat goes a long way and having some extra caffeine to make an impression at the end of the longer days is also helpful. Don't be afraid to bring up some unique interests and background experiences since it might help you be remembered. I am not sure about it but I got the sense that the interview dinners did have some, albeit variable, role in the process.

Colorado- Really surprised by this program. Big-time facilities upgrade, great location, strong numbers and academics, and really nice residents.

It really is all about fit. Try to see what programs will best cater to your specific career goals, learning style and personality. Some programs have more autonomy (Bascom, Emory, CPMC, Colorado) vs supervision. Some have strengths based in fellowship placement and academics (Columbia, Tufts, IEEI, NYU) vs clinical training (Oklahoma, BU). Also, try to get a sense of who the residents are (age, hobbies, marital status, background) to see if you might get along with them. You also have to figure out exactly how much you value location for 3 years of your prime years. Good luck!

Last edited: