2014-2015 Official Psychology Ph.D./PsyD Interview Invite Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In other news, does anyone know if LIU-CW Post has a wait list yet, and if everyone accepted for next year got a phone call from the chair? (There was one mention on TGC, but am crossing my fingers that my phone will ring....)

Members don't see this ad.

maybe they are prioritizing their interviews (ie inviting first-choice candidates first, then less-preferred). my Pace interview last year wasn't until early March, I believe.
Alright, thank you! Do you remember when you received the invitation, by chance?

Hi everyone, I just got off the phone with Graduate Admissions and the lady said that my application is still in review, the last interview sessions are in April, apparently... so she said there is still potential!

Members don't see this ad :)
Go check your status online. Mine was updated to "Rejected" last week. No letter or email, so I'm glad I thought to check. Good luck!
I also got rejected...thanks for the info. I'm sad :(. they invited me last year, so why wouldn't they this year?

Reactions: 1 user
I also got rejected...thanks for the info. I'm sad :(. they invited me last year, so why wouldn't they this year?

Honestly, this whole process stinks this year....I'd ask your POI that question...you have nothing to lose @ this point, right?

which PsyD? I applied for the School-Clinical one. I take it highly unlikely that they were interviewing already on 2/5 as the deadline was 2/1 or 2/2..

This is quite delayed, but School-Clinical interview dates are/were 2/5, 2/12, 2/19 and 2/26. They definitely had a quick turn around time following the Feb 1st application deadline

Honestly, this whole process stinks this year....I'd ask your POI that question...you have nothing to lose @ this point, right?

good idea, but I actually might, if I apply there again after I actually finish my Master's. I emailed the secretary/coordinator. She answered me last year, though that clearly didn't improve my chances.

Someone posted that they got wait listed on TGC at UCF for clinical.

If you were this person can you state how you learned of this information? And do you mind messaging me your POI

Hi everyone,

I know it's getting late in the game but was wondering if anyone has heard from these phd clinical programs for interviews or have any insight on whether any of these might still extend more interviews? I haven't been out right rejected from these yet and have noticed that some people on grad cafe have been rejected and interviewed at these programs. I realize they may have not sent out their mass rejections, but I'm still hanging on to a thread of hope, thanks for the help!

University of Minnesota
SUNY at Buffalo
Northwestern Weinberg
U Penn
U Washington Seattle

Two schools I interviewed at should let me know their decisions by the end of next week. It is going to be a LONG week. I wish I could press fast forward!

Reactions: 7 users
Hi everyone,

I know it's getting late in the game but was wondering if anyone has heard from these phd clinical programs for interviews or have any insight on whether any of these might still extend more interviews? I haven't been out right rejected from these yet and have noticed that some people on grad cafe have been rejected and interviewed at these programs. I realize they may have not sent out their mass rejections, but I'm still hanging on to a thread of hope, thanks for the help!

University of Minnesota
SUNY at Buffalo
Northwestern Weinberg
U Penn
U Washington Seattle

Buffalo's interview was January 30th and they only had one, sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
so i just got waistlisted from my first choice, then proceeded to get this email from my POI that had mixed messages. basically letting me know i am on the waistlist, but that he is still "optimistic" and "enthusiastic" that I may get an offer from the program, would love to be my mentor and would like me to be patient..... is this just a generic "you are waitlisted but good job" email? second/third time applicants, any thoughts? and lastly, if anyone has a fun waitlist success story that would cheer me up.....

Reactions: 2 users
Wondering if anyone has any info on the PGSP-Stanford PsyD program? It's pretty much the only place I want to be, and I'm growing increasingly concerned as I haven't heard anything yet… It seems some people heard back regarding interviews as late as March last year. I applied for the first deadline, but my application wasn't fully submitted until a couple of weeks later due to waiting on receiving GRE scores. Any insights would be GREATLY appreciated!

Has anyone heard back from Long Island University for their PsyD program?

Has anyone heard back from Long Island University for their PsyD program?

From Sun-Wed, they called their acceptances. Wed, they posted who was wait-listed and who was rejected. You should have an email from their department asst.

Good luck! (I was wait-listed.)

so i just got waistlisted from my first choice, then proceeded to get this email from my POI that had mixed messages. basically letting me know i am on the waistlist, but that he is still "optimistic" and "enthusiastic" that I may get an offer from the program, would love to be my mentor and would like me to be patient..... is this just a generic "you are waitlisted but good job" email? second/third time applicants, any thoughts? and lastly, if anyone has a fun waitlist success story that would cheer me up.....

I don't know where you are on the waitlist, but depending on how the program does the waitlist (applicants ranked overall independent of POI, or POI-specific) you may have a good chance of still receiving an offer, and it sounds like that may be what your POI is communicating. It is rare that programs send out their first round of offers and everyone accepts. Anecdotally, last Friday, I got a call from my POI at one school telling me that while I was on the waitlist, I was at the top so he expected to have good news soon - and I received an offer on Monday after one of the first offers declined (I ended up turning down that offer ultimately, but this is to say - it's not time to lose all hope yet, from what it sounds like. Mid-February is still early times.)

Reactions: 2 users
Anyone hear from New Mexico (clinical), Nevada (clinical), or Minnesota (counseling)?

Wondering if anyone has any info on the PGSP-Stanford PsyD program? It's pretty much the only place I want to be, and I'm growing increasingly concerned as I haven't heard anything yet… It seems some people heard back regarding interviews as late as March last year. I applied for the first deadline, but my application wasn't fully submitted until a couple of weeks later due to waiting on receiving GRE scores. Any insights would be GREATLY appreciated!
I called them and they are still reviewing a lot of applications. I applied really early December and they assured me they haven't gotten to mine yet. They do interviews on a rolling basis so I wouldn't worry too much

Thank you! Would you mind telling me when you called? Thanks again; that information is definitely helpful! :)

Thank you! Would you mind telling me when you called? Thanks again; that information is definitely helpful! :)
I called on Thursday. I wouldn't worry too much (or at least I am trying not to haha). They seem to have mostly interviewed people who also applied to the PhD program so far

Has anybody heard from the following:
CU Boulder (Experimental)
UC Riverside (experimental)
UC Davis (experimental)
Northeastern (experimental)

I have heard back from the following schools (clinical):

U of Georgia - wait listed
U of Colorado at Colorado springs - wait listed
U of Alabama Birmingham - Offical offer!

I should be hearing back from U of Florida, Kent state and U of Houston(interview was this weekend) this coming week.

When you have accepted an offer are you supposed to e-mail the other places you interviewed at to let them know? I don't know what the proper protocol is....

When you have accepted an offer are you supposed to e-mail the other places you interviewed at to let them know? I don't know what the proper protocol is....

My understanding is that you contact the other programs and let them know that you no longer wish to be considered for their program. Congrats on the acceptance btw!

Reactions: 1 users

I was in that same position last year, and I just ended up emailing them and letting them know that I had already accepted another offer. It would be great if you could do this ASAP so that they can extend an invite to somebody else. Congrats on your acceptance.

Sometimes it is just a personality fit. I know that there was one applicant who interviewed with my POI last year who ended up applying again this year, and my POI basically said that she was perfect on paper but she remembered their interactions from last year and she would just not be a great fit in the lab personality wise so she did not get an invite this year.

I have heard back from the following schools (clinical):

U of Georgia - wait listed
U of Colorado at Colorado springs - wait listed
U of Alabama Birmingham - Offical offer!

I should be hearing back from U of Florida, Kent state and U of Houston(interview was this weekend) this coming week.
Congrats on UAB. It seems like a really great program.

I think every school I interviewed at said they would let us know by the end of this week. It's going to be a long week, especially with all my fingers and toes crossed!!!

Reactions: 7 users
for those of you who have been waitlisted, have you guys gone through the interview process? I assume if one hasn't been invited to an interview, there is little chance he ends up being put on the wait list. This is my first go-around with PhD programs so I'm a bit in the dark

for those of you who have been waitlisted, have you guys gone through the interview process? I assume if one hasn't been invited to an interview, there is little chance he ends up being put on the wait list. This is my first go-around with PhD programs so I'm a bit in the dark
Yes, typically when people say they are waitlisted, they mean post-interview. Most schools maintain an additional pool of applicants to interview (in case someone declines an interview), but if the school already had an interview day (or days, basically done interviewing) and you have not been contacted, there is a little chance you will be contacted... Hope that helps

Update for U of Florida (Gainsville).

I received an email saying I have been selected as a high alternate for the clinical program. So they should be sending their first round of offers now as well.

Sometimes it is just a personality fit. I know that there was one applicant who interviewed with my POI last year who ended up applying again this year, and my POI basically said that she was perfect on paper but she remembered their interactions from last year and she would just not be a great fit in the lab personality wise so she did not get an invite this year.

that doesn't seem fair. I feel I am qualified, so why would they reject me right off the bat? I feel they should give applicants a fresh chance when they reapply, because they could have changed in a year.

It's not likely that your personality would change. Something similar happened to me. The school was perfect (program and location), the lab was perfect, and the advisor was perfect, we had good things to talk about and I got positive feedback from her. But the students in the lab... I definitely could do without, I had absolutely nothing in common outside of our research interests. But It's a package deal. Needles to say, I didn't get accepted, but wasn't too hurt about it because I wouldn't have actually liked working with my peers in that situation.

Reactions: 3 users
that doesn't seem fair. I feel I am qualified, so why would they reject me right off the bat? I feel they should give applicants a fresh chance when they reapply, because they could have changed in a year.

The unfortunate thing about how competitive this process is, is that you can be completely qualified and not get into a program. If there was something they felt didn't jive during your first interview, not even something you did "wrong", just more of a personality fit, they may have thought it didn't make sense to have another interview.

The admissions process for doctorate psychology programs definitely seems subjective, for the most part. The process seems to be a hybrid between a job search and online dating, haha

Reactions: 8 users
The admissions process for doctorate psychology programs definitely seems subjective, for the most part. The process seems to be a hybrid between a job search and online dating, haha
I really like your description! And I also agree with it! Seems there is too much personal factor in it.

I really like your description! And I also agree with it! Seems there is too much personal factor in it.

Definitely feels like dating. Wondering if you said the right thing/wore the right thing, waiting for them to call afterwards, analyzing any e-mails from them haha.

Reactions: 8 users
Feeling very upset and in the dark about things. I received a very nice email from my POI stating that I am her first alternate on her wait list (posts on TGC only refer to their high alternate status) and that she continues to believe I am an good fit for the program. She said it was a very difficult decision as to which person the first offer went out to and asked if I have accepted or have any other offers. For those of you who have been through this before, does this sound like a generic email sent? Would she be talking about being first on the wait list on the entire program or just for her lab? Another poster on TGC commented that their POI said the department was being stingy about extending interviews, does this mean that some POI could potentially fund more than one student? This is my top choice and really the only program I want to accept at so really trying to be realistic about my chances of an acceptance offer. Anyone have any wait list stories?

Feeling very upset and in the dark about things. I received a very nice email from my POI stating that I am her first alternate on her wait list (posts on TGC only refer to their high alternate status) and that she continues to believe I am an good fit for the program. She said it was a very difficult decision as to which person the first offer went out to and asked if I have accepted or have any other offers. For those of you who have been through this before, does this sound like a generic email sent? Would she be talking about being first on the wait list on the entire program or just for her lab? Another poster on TGC commented that their POI said the department was being stingy about extending interviews, does this mean that some POI could potentially fund more than one student? This is my top choice and really the only program I want to accept at so really trying to be realistic about my chances of an acceptance offer. Anyone have any wait list stories?
It's going to depend on the school. Some offers are made by a specific POI, some are made by a department. At some schools, it's possible a POI could fund more than one student and at others that would be completely unheard of.

My sense of your situation is that the offers were POI-based. It seems that if the person that the POI made an offer to declined, you would likely be next on her list to receive an offer. I could be wrong, though.

I'm waiting to hear back from 2 programs. One program was just this past Friday, so I'm not too worried about that right now. The other, however, had their last interview weekend 2.5 weeks ago. 5 days following the interview, I received an email from my POI indicating that "admissions decisions will be communicated shortly." That was 2 weeks ago. I realize there is still plenty of time, but I have a few questions.

• This program extends offers via the Graduate School, according to what I've seen. To what extent can that cause delays (albeit considering the other issues below)?
  • To what extent can a POI being technically dubbed affiliated faculty affect admissions speed (i.e., is it reasonable to assume they attend to full-fledged faculty first)?
  • To what extent can a department having at least one new faculty hoping to admit more than one student affect the admissions process for other faculty members (FWIW, I am not worried about funding whatsoever with this POI, but just the order of the Graduate School's operations)?
  • To what extent can having a Master's, and therefore being much more flexible in terms of what assistantships or teaching assignments you can take, affect the process? In other words, would it be reasonable to assume they might attend to Master's applicants' offers after those of younger applicants because the latter can only be assigned to certain assistantships?

Are you talking about Miami of Ohio? I have not heard anything from there at all---may I ask who your POI is? I read that stingy statement as perhaps, they haven't even extended all offers yet....but I'm not too sure. This is a stressful and confusing process :/

I asked my POI where I was on the wait list and he told me he doesn't disclose this...before I had asked him this, I spoke to the DCT regarding the same question and he said "blah blah these things are very complicated. but you are high" Do some schools actually have policies about not telling people where they are on the wait list? Or is this just my own personal hell?

I think schools can do whatever they want. I wouldn't want to tell someone they were low on my list because that could make them lose interest, especially in a situation where they are considering multiple offers