2014-2015 Georgetown GEMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
No I'm actually from Miami

Oh ok. I am kind of from DC area, like an hour away. When are you planning on getting here? Like a day before the interview?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Cool. Maybe some of us can meet up the day before like people did in the previous years.

I'd be cool with that.
wiap9u.png

Reactions: 1 users
Hello guys,
I am a current GEMS and I definitely understand how you all feel since I had to go through the same thing last year. Gems is indeed a wonderful program. Stay strong and you guys should start getting phone calls soon since the first interview date is approaching. If you have questions post them on here and I'll Check the tread over the weekend and try to answer them. I look forward to meet the lucky ones who get invited for an interview. Good luck to you all. !!
Hi, thanks for your time, I was wondering if meeting all the requirement, you have to go through the AMCAS application again, since it says on GEMS website you are advised to apply to GUSOM. How does it work, do you mind clarifying please :)

Hey those of you with interviews please post your stats and what you think made your application stand out. It will benefit future applicants tremendously.

don't feel bad! Thats great that you all were invited to interview. Wow that is so interesting that they told you not to tell anyone lol. Did they say "we see the gems thread don't post on it?" that is so interesting

Members don't see this ad :)
don't feel bad! Thats great that you all were invited to interview. Wow that is so interesting that they told you not to tell anyone lol. Did they say "we see the gems thread don't post on it?" that is so interesting
I saw in a previous thread where someone hinted at that. But I can kind of understand why. If they are recieving too many calls it holds up the process of giving interview offers.

It went pretty good, there is a very nice family community vibe with the program, you will enjoy it...remember to bring some comfortable dress shoes to walk in!

Nice! I like that GEMS has the friendly, supportive atmosphere and works hard to help the students succeed. I am looking forward to my interview.

And, I will make sure to wear comfortable dress shoes.

True, but people who interviewed in April will have been waiting a month by then...

Well I don't think it's rolling admissions so they have to review everyone now that all invited applicants have been interviewed.

I don't think there is a set class size, so chances are the April peeps have already been evaluated. It might put April peeps in a disadvantage if compared to the May group whose impressions are still fresh in the adcomm's minds. But to avoid any problems everyone is probably notified of acceptance/rejection at one time.

:poke:

Guess no one will hear anything back until that last week of May?

Why won't anyone hear until the last week of May? In the threads from past years, they usually heard exactly two weeks after the second interview

Why won't anyone hear until the last week of May? In the threads from past years, they usually heard exactly two weeks after the second interview

You are correct. For some reason I was thinking its the last week of May.... :confused:

Does anyone know how many people interviewed on Monday?

14 people interviewed on Monday!! I think 28 people in total interviewed which is a reduction in GEMS usual interview size

Whoa that's crazy! I wonder how many they plan on accepting? Usually the class size is from 20-30.

Hey Guys! I'm a current GEMS student! I am looking for someone to sub-lease my place in June and July. It's $1100 per month plus utilities (Utilities are usually $120) Also, you would have the option to sign the lease for the whole year. I know housing is pretty difficult to find and I have a really great place! It's a re-done basement apartment. Black appliances and granite counter tops, spacious living room, nice bedrooms, very clean bathroom, etc. It's close to campus as well. PM me for more details! And good luck with everything!

Hey guys,

Everyone is probably waiting to hear back some good news. I know it has only been 1 week since the second interview date so we still have some time to wait. I really enjoyed my interview day and I think we had a good group of people. As you guys mentioned earlier, they interviewed less people this year and class this has been between 20-28 usually (around 28 people past couple years if I am not mistaken) so I hope they accept all of us this year! That would be pretty amazing!

Hey guys,

Everyone is probably waiting to hear back some good news. I know it has only been 1 week since the second interview date so we still have some time to wait. I really enjoyed my interview day and I think we had a good group of people. As you guys mentioned earlier, they interviewed less people this year and class this has been between 20-28 usually (around 28 people past couple years if I am not mistaken) so I hope they accept all of us this year! That would be pretty amazing!
It's only been a week since the interview but it feels like forever. And the letter on the GEMS homepage states that we will know the decision by May 31, 2014 so we may only have one more week of waiting or two.

It's only been a week since the interview but it feels like forever. And the letter on the GEMS homepage states that we will know the decision by May 31, 2014 so we may only have one more week of waiting or two.

I agree, I hope they accept all of us! In the past years, they sent out decisions two weeks after the second interview. I interviewed with the first batch so I'm ready to hear back already! I'm guessing we'll find out by the end of next week. I wonder if they'll be sending out decisions in the mail or via phone?

I agree, I hope they accept all of us! In the past years, they sent out decisions two weeks after the second interview. I interviewed with the first batch so I'm ready to hear back already! I'm guessing we'll find out by the end of next week. I wonder if they'll be sending out decisions in the mail or via phone?
wow already? I guess cue anxiousness starting now lol

Hi Everyone! I am looking to apply to this program next year and I am so excited. I'm just wondering how the interviews went?
I wish you guys all the best and I can only imagine how nerve wrecking the waiting game is. *fingers crossed*

wow already? I guess cue anxiousness starting now lol

Haha the anxiety has already started for me. Did they mention in the 2nd interview how the decisions were going to be announced?

Hi Everyone! I am looking to apply to this program next year and I am so excited. I'm just wondering how the interviews went?
I wish you guys all the best and I can only imagine how nerve wrecking the waiting game is. *fingers crossed*
The interviews are awesome. They're long but the whole process has a family like feel. Good luck to you for next cycle =)

Haha the anxiety has already started for me. Did they mention in the 2nd interview how the decisions were going to be announced?
LOL I believe they said through email or phone and one of the GEMS students mentioned something about receiving info in the mail about the decision.

LOL I believe they said through email or phone and one of the GEMS students mentioned something about receiving info in the mail about the decision.

Yeah I think its the same as the II. Call if accepted, snail mail if rejected...

not necessarily

I wish they would specify how we were supposed to hear back, so I don't have to worry about constantly checking my phone, email and mail. Patience is key though! Has anyone looked at apartments in the area?

I wish they would specify how we were supposed to hear back, so I don't have to worry about constantly checking my phone, email and mail. Patience is key though! Has anyone looked at apartments in the area?
Yes two words "extremely expensive"

Well in past GEMS forums, calls have been mentioned :\

Ya I've read too. I feel like acceptances are conveyed via phone. I'm going to have my phone by me at all times starting Monday. But then again, I read one thread from a couple of years ago and they all expected phone calls but received their letters in the mail. Ahh this is so confusing! And on top of that they've completely changed the number of people they interviewed. They for sure love keeping us on our toes haha

If we all get accepted we should look for an apartment together or at least same apartment complex so we can study together!

If we all get accepted we should look for an apartment together or at least same apartment complex so we can study together!

That's actually a good idea. At least ones that are close to one another. If anyone finds good apartments please share on this thread!

I was told that the school provides a list of pre approved places to rent. Do any current/former GEMS students know if there is any truth to this?