2014-15 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got a reject from Hopkins, saying all invites have gone out but if there are cancellations they will be in touch. Similar email from Jefferson, albeit much more vaguely worded.

Members don't see this ad.

I have a few questions. If you are put on a school's waitlist. Does a letter of Interest help you at getting an interview in the future? When is a good time to send them a letter when you are waitlisted?

I am curious about them as well. Got put "on hold" is that the same as wait list. Wondering what these two terms mean does it mean that all interview offers are made and we are going to be offered when people cancel ?

Edit yeah this post was in reference to that ambiguously worded message from Jefferson that I got as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got a reject from Hopkins, saying all invites have gone out but if there are cancellations they will be in touch. Similar email from Jefferson, albeit much more vaguely worded.

I got these exact same messages. I guess they must have put a lot of people on hold. I'm not holding much hope for an interview though. They mentioned late January.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone received a confirmation email from Rush for invites that were sent out last Wednesday 10/15?

So is the Hopkins waitlist email just what they send instead of a rejection then? I got a "we put you on the waitlist, we may invite you and pay for your hotel room in the end" email. I wasn't holding out much hope anyway, seeing as who is turning down Hopkins?

Also received the "So sorry, maybe late January" hold email from Jefferson.

Has anyone come across programs that require 4 letters? I have looked at a lot of them, and none specified. Just wondering if I need a 4th.

I've heard some touchy things about Wake lately with regards to their financial situation, that several faculty had been forced into early retirement, their chair was recently fired, etc. I was curious if anyone had any thoughts on this or if any of your PDs had commented on this at all or if this was going to influence anyone's decision to interview or rank the program.

Has anyone received a confirmation email from Rush for invites that were sent out last Wednesday 10/15?
I was invited 10/10 and didn't receive confirmation until 10/17, so just wait another day or two I would say. I know it can be frustrating with regards to scheduling. Since I didn't hear back for a week now I have another interview scheduled the same day Rush has their pre-interview dinner. No sure what I'm going to do about making it to that. :-/

Only two invites for Georgetown on the spreadsheet. Assuming that's either their students or away rotators. Anyone know about their interview invite status?

I'm not a student there nor did I rotate there but I have an interview. Updating the document to add my interviews now.

Members don't see this ad :)
Fdo you apply to both categorical and advanced positions during 4th year med school or do you wait til intern year to apply to advanced?

Ok I thought so but then how does that work with the prelim spots for matching? If you match into a categorical does it automatically not consider you for a prelim or vica versa?

Ok I thought so but then how does that work with the prelim spots for matching? If you match into a categorical does it automatically not consider you for a prelim or vica versa?

You rank by categorical vs advanced. When you rank your advanced spot you also rank the prelim spots that you would like.

So an example would be

1. Stanford cat
2. Columbia cat
3. Stanford adv (with a prelim ranking)

I have a few questions. If you are put on a school's waitlist. Does a letter of Interest help you at getting an interview in the future? When is a good time to send them a letter when you are waitlisted?

It doesn't hurt. I was waitlisted at "3" places last year. 2 outright waitlisted, 1 where I had to regretfully turn down an interview because of a conflict and was then waitlisted for other dates if they opened. I replied immediately, letting them know I was "disappointed" about not being selected for an interview, but was still interested and hoped to hear from them if any dates opened up. If I didn't hear back within 3-4 weeks, I sent another email to remind them I was still interested. Ended up interviewing at 2 of the 3 (including the one I had to initially decline the interview at). The program I didn't end up interviewing at was Jefferson, and they never responded to my emails. I think Jefferson (and some others) choose to waitlist rather than decline outright. In any case, I would definitely send an email expressing your interest.

i know people have been saying that these interview invites come in waves but does anyone know if a good number of invites will still be going out? starting to get really nervous since i only have 4 so far :(

i know people have been saying that these interview invites come in waves but does anyone know if a good number of invites will still be going out? starting to get really nervous since i only have 4 so far :(

From the data that I can gather on the spreadsheet, schools that have 15+ names next to them most likely have sent out most of their interviews. Schools that I feel like would be representative of that fact include Stanford, Mt Sinai, Rush, NYU, Columbia etc.

However, I think as we get later into October and more into November, I'd imagine that more schools will have cancellations etc.

Sorry about your nerves :(

From the data that I can gather on the spreadsheet, schools that have 15+ names next to them most likely have sent out most of their interviews. Schools that I feel like would be representative of that fact include Stanford, Mt Sinai, Rush, NYU, Columbia etc.

However, I think as we get later into October and more into November, I'd imagine that more schools will have cancellations etc.

Sorry about your nerves :(

Im not too sure about columbia though i could be wrong. All the names on google spreadsheet were entered in September. They may have another round of invites. Things may have been a bit delayed due to ASA conference

med school invites or anesthesiology invites. or is your status just really old lolll..

but maybe add more lower ranked schools if your scores are not the best.

I've been trying to come up with an answer to this too based on this year and lasts' data and it is confusing. It looks like from last years data that almost every program had invited by this date last year so that makes me nervous. So the programs with 15-20 invites this year are probably safeto assume have sent out all or most and only cancelations at this point?

Im not too sure about columbia though i could be wrong. All the names on google spreadsheet were entered in September. They may have another round of invites. Things may have been a bit delayed due to ASA conference

Columbia's last interview date is 12/9, so I'd imagine it's safe to assume all their invites have been sent out.

Has anyone heard a peep out of the Brigham recently? Last year's thread made it seem like they send invites/interview on the later end of things, but it looks like they started a bit earlier this year...

Columbia's last interview date is 12/9, so I'd imagine it's safe to assume all their invites have been sent out.

WHUT?! guess i should email them

Btw does anyone know if Mt sinai's interview is ALL in scrubs? As in show up in scrubs, do interview in scrubs, leave in scrubs, etc.

Cause at my hospital, we aren't allowed to wear scrubs outside, so idk if Mt sinai want us to show up in scrubs or they want us to bring pair to switch out of our dress shirt?

WHUT?! guess i should email them

Btw does anyone know if Mt sinai's interview is ALL in scrubs? As in show up in scrubs, do interview in scrubs, leave in scrubs, etc.

Cause at my hospital, we aren't allowed to wear scrubs outside, so idk if Mt sinai want us to show up in scrubs or they want us to bring pair to switch out of our dress shirt?

Email from them legitimately says scrubs unless you want to wear their disposable paper ones???

Can someone w/ columbia interview invite provide some stats?

From the spreadsheet: ProEra (Sorry dude- hope you don't mind me using you)

Northeast
240s Step 1
240s Step 2
3rd quartile for class rank
No AOA

I'm sure you can find the stats of other people just using the spreadsheet

Has anyone heard a peep out of the Brigham recently? Last year's thread made it seem like they send invites/interview on the later end of things, but it looks like they started a bit earlier this year...
Also wondering about Brigham.. Also any activities for gw??

When programs list your CV as one of their required documents do they literally mean we need to email each place our CV or are they just referring to the ERAS application cv?

When programs list your CV as one of their required documents do they literally mean we need to email each place our CV or are they just referring to the ERAS application cv?

Everything is done through ERAS.

does anybody know if there is a google doc for last years interviews? Im trying to figure out when and which programs invited in october and into november but last years thread looks like it only lists the first waves...

does anybody know if there is a google doc for last years interviews? Im trying to figure out when and which programs invited in october and into november but last years thread looks like it only lists the first waves...

There was not a google doc for last year- this is the first year a google doc is available

so I called few programs and they all said "we're still reviewing" and nothing much other than that. Could they just say that to get me off the phone or would they straight up tell you if they're finished sending out interviews?

It would seem most likely that the vast majority of invites have gone out already. Any additional "waves" will probably be due to cancellations (probably lower tier schools). I don't know any of this for sure but I would think this the most likely scenario.

It would seem most likely that the vast majority of invites have gone out already. Any additional "waves" will probably be due to cancellations (probably lower tier schools). I don't know any of this for sure but I would think this the most likely scenario.

I figured that....I applied late. Only got my applications out less than 2 weeks ago....guess im paying the price. Im hopeful that i'll still get a few more interviews as ppl cancel

Duke spots are full. Just got placed on their waitlist -__-

Would it be safe to assume that most places are full at this point? Seems like by this date thats probably the case

From accounts posted on the forum and on the spreadsheet- I think this is a safe assumption.
I don't think this is the case for all programs, I just got an interview and from talking to the program
they seem to be just starting to send out interviews

yeah after hearing on here that most invites were sent out I called a few places that all said they had more to send out and they are not done. notable miami, IN, oklahoma, rush to name a few