2013 pain medicine fellowship interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oreosandsake

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona

Match or no match, this process is crazy. some places still haven't opened to accept applications. some places have acknowledged recieving all of my documents, "but won't start reviewing until July"

Members don't see this ad.

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona

Match or no match, this process is crazy. some places still haven't opened to accept applications. some places have acknowledged recieving all of my documents, "but won't start reviewing until July"

congrats. mine went out late last week. haven't heard a peep thus far. only 7 programs applied to.

i'll start making calls to the admin people to make sure they got my stuff by tomorrow. this process is gonna blow, but i think we all knew it would.....

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine

thanks gasattack!
I started sending mine out in february. LORs went out in mid March. getting a hold of a live person at the programs has been a little challenging so far, but emails have been responded to usually within 2-3 days.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai

Sent mine last month, but it has been difficult to get a hold of the coordinators to verify receipt of LOR, some received all, some are missing 1, some are missing 2...it is definitely a huge headache compared to a centralized ERAS service.

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU

I'm on the fence about the irvine interview. I spoke to the coordinator and they are interviewing 40 people for 2 spots. Any idea if this is the typical ratio the other programs are using as well?

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about the irvine interview. I spoke to the coordinator and they are interviewing 40 people for 2 spots. Any idea if this is the typical ratio the other programs are using as well?

No idea about the other programs, but it seems like it is the same pool of people interviewing at multiple places so they need to interview a lot more since they can't guarantee whoever they rank high is gonna rank UCI high also....same game as med school>residency match all over again

spoke with some PDs at the AAPM meeting. jokingly, some of them said they used to interview X+1 to fill X spots, since everyone accepted offers.

now, they are anticipating interviewing about 4x more applicants than they did in the past to assure filling. I'm sure the more competitive programs will not extend as many interview offers.

There will also be a scramble process if the match is unsuccessful.

What is that running list of? Programs that have already offered interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD

When did you get the BID and UCSD interviews? Was the invitation by snail mail or via email?

Thanks!

Any updates? I know some Chicago programs have sent out invites, but don't know the specifics.

So the real question is why is a guy who went to PT school, med school, and a radiology residency followed by a hybrid msk/neuroradiology fellowship applying to a pain fellowship. You're going to be the most over educated pain doc alive! Seriously though, I'm curious as to what kind of practice you are envisioning?

So the real question is why is a guy who went to PT school, med school, and a radiology residency followed by a hybrid msk/neuroradiology fellowship applying to a pain fellowship. You're going to be the most over educated pain doc alive! Seriously though, I'm curious as to what kind of practice you are envisioning?

I get asked this all the time :) People wonder if I'm looking for private practice or academics and the truth is I could be happy in either setting. I can see myself in private practice seeing clinic patients 2-3 days a week, performing procedures 1-2 days a week, reading MR imaging on some of my patients at an imaging center I may be partnered with, teaching/administrative/research 1 day a week. I love teaching and don't see myself giving that up. I teach two courses at University of Delaware's PT program (#2 ranked program in the country with some amazingly talented students).

I also see myself running/overseeing an outpatient rehab center and seeing patients in the same integrated setting with my PT's. Ideally, I'd have morning rounds with PT's to discuss the plan for the day and some particularly challenging patients... this close level of physician/PT communication is not seen in most practices. Maybe it's a little ambitious... or maybe I'm onto something :) Time constraints, financial contraints, etc... I'm aware of the barriers. I'd also like to do some outcomes research correlating physical and imaging examinations with procedural and rehab outcomes. This is where being in an academic setting may help. I'll have to see what doors open after fellowship :) I'm just excited to be doing what I love. Hope that answers the question!

Hi everyone, I got an interview today from John H Stroger of cook county, Chicago. I can't get any reviews abt this program.can somebody comment on this program? How interventional it is and their procedure volume?

adding to the list...

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County

Hi all, i got an email from henry ford co-ordinator to fill out a form about the pain procedures i have done so far..is this a part of the application process? i applied there 3 weeks ago.

Hey, would love to hear any more info about Irvine's interview ratio. Just received an invite from them and don't want to spend $$$ to be one of 100 interviewing for two spots- or is that how they are all doing it this year? Worst of both worlds this year- no ERAS and first time everyone doing the Match. Thanks and good luck everybody

Hi all, i got an email from henry ford co-ordinator to fill out a form about the pain procedures i have done so far..is this a part of the application process? i applied there 3 weeks ago.

Only 1 program asked for this when I applied last year. Wanted to know #'s observed and performed. I think this is more important for non-anesthesia applicants.

did anyone heard from henry ford? are they interviewing now?

I know this is the first time the match is administered, but has anyone received any advice from their home directors as to how many programs they should/could "safely" rank in order to match?

I know this is the first time the match is administered, but has anyone received any advice from their home directors as to how many programs they should/could "safely" rank in order to match?
We all have gone through residency match process. I think you should rank all the programs that you can see yourself work as a pain fellow happily, right?

I agree but many factors play into it, as well. For example, a PD might have a reasonable estimate of the total number of positions offered and an estimate of number of applicants from past cycles. From that one could give a reasonable estimate. There will always be outliers but an estimate would be nice based on past experience from advising applicants in the field.

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis

Have any programs updated you on complete status of applications? I mean, how do I know if they're just waiting on one last piece of my application or if they never got some one of the recommendation letters? Should I email program secretary to check or is that just obnoxious?

Have any programs updated you on complete status of applications? I mean, how do I know if they're just waiting on one last piece of my application or if they never got some one of the recommendation letters? Should I email program secretary to check or is that just obnoxious?
This is your future. I would do everything you can to make sure anything within your own power is done to make sure you have the best chance of matching. Including making sure your applications are complete. I have had several programs respond asking for something more. It is annoying to the program coordinators, but it is their job.

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN
18) UCSF
19) Maryland

Last edited:
1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN
18) UCSF
19) Maryland
20) NYU

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN
18) UCSF
19) Maryland
20) Univ. of Oklahoma

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN
18) UCSF
19) Maryland
20) NYU
21) Univ. of Oklahoma

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN
18) UCSF
19) Maryland
20) NYU
21) Univ. of Oklahoma
22) WLAVA/UCLA

did Henry Ford send out interviews?
Any comments on cook county fellowship?

Questions for everyone: Are you guys getting days off for interviews or using up vacation days for interviews? Anyone in a situation where they are canceling interviews or going on every single interview?

Arranging travel to Iowa is crazy. Will drive from cook county to there June 19 passing by Moline airport (IL) then back to Moline airport when I finish interviewing on the 20th. Any partner?

Hi is ur iv with cook county on june 19? mine is on may 30..any thoughts abt the program?

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont
12) UMDNJ-RWJ
13) Johns Hopkins
14) USC
15) UT San Antonio
16) Wash U. St Louis
17) UPENN
18) UCSF
19) Maryland
20) NYU
21) Univ. of Oklahoma
22) WLAVA/UCLA
23) Pittsburgh

Hi is ur iv with cook county on june 19? mine is on may 30..any thoughts abt the program?

I have heard it is either a 15 or 18 month fellowship for non-anesthesia fellows.

can anyone verify this?

1) Mayo Clinic - Arizona
2) UC Irvine
3) Cedars-Sinai
4) Iowa
5) Dartmouth
6) Oregon, OHSU
7) Beth Israel - NYC
8) UCSD
9) UC Davis
10) Cook County
11) Univ. of Vermont