2013 Match Stats

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just out of curiosity... where are the 5 spots that were unmatched?

I heard of one at UT San Antonio and one at WVU, but where are the other 3?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
--Board Scores: Step 1 215/89, Step 2 238/99
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, 3rd quartile
--Reputation of medical school: mid-tier with top 5 ophtho program
--Research: 2 years of research at a top 10, partly funded by RPB fellowship. 1 non ophtho basic science pub. 2 ophtho basic science pubs (not first author), 1 ophtho review, 2 ARVO abstracts, 2 more ophtho basic science pubs in progress.
--Honors in clerkships: no honors at my school.
--# and where you did away rotations: 2 at upper middle tier programs in different regions
--# of programs you applied to: 113
--Where invited for interviews: BPEI, USF, UF-Jacksonville, Sinai-Baltimore, LSU, UPMC, UCSD, Nassau, NYMC, Drexel, Temple
--Where matched: 8/11
--Anything that helped your app: Dedication to the field (through research time), publications, strong letters of rec from well-known people who knew me, applying to every program, aways that went well.

--Board Scores: Step 1 246/99, Step 2 256
--AOA and class rank: AOA, no rank at my school
--Reputation of medical school: Not big name program.
--Research: 1 paper in orthopedics published (2nd author), 2 presentations on orthopedics, 5 tumor board presentations.
--Honors in clerkships: H in Surgery, OB/GYN, Family Med, Peds
--# and where you did away rotations: 1 at upper middle tier program on west coast.
--# of programs you applied to: 70
--Where invited for interviews: BPEI, UCLA, Kellogg Eye (Univ Michigan), DMEI, Univ of Washington, OHSU, UNC, Univ of Florida - gainsville, Kresge Eye, Loma Linda, UTSW
(invited but declined to go: Indiana, UT houston, UT san antonio, UMDNJ, Rochester
--Where matched: #1 :)
--Anything that helped your app: Very Strong LORs from unknown, no name faculty (medicine, surgery, ophthalmology). Even though my attendings were just community physicians, everyone I interviewed with commented on them. I am testament that you don't need big wig LORs as long as the people writing for you are willing to go to bat for you. Other than that, I think just being down to earth, humble, honest, all go a very long way. Also, doing an away rotation can really help you. the place where I did my away told me they ranked me to match. So just be chill, hardworking, willing to learn. not a gunner, and things will fall into place for sure!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
--Board Scores: Step 1 238, Step 2 251
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, unknown rank (probably around 50%)
--Reputation of medical school: solid northeast school, mid-tier
--Research: one chart review poster presentation, at time of interviews submitted for publication. 2 other non-ophtho projects, also posters, no publications.
--Honors in clerkships: HP surgery, H psych, all other clerkships P.
--# and where you did away rotations: Downstate
--# of programs you applied to: 33
--Where invited for interviews (attended all): Nassau, Jamaica Hosp, Drexel, Howard, Stony Brook, Downstate, UMDNJ, Bx-Lebanon, Albany, Penn State, Brown, Upstate
--Where matched: #1/10!
--Anything that helped your app: Letter from well-known home chairman who knows me well, good at interviewing, unique background which showed in my personal statement.

Advice: Don't be afraid to go about match based significantly on location. People will tell you to "apply broadly" and that you should apply to over 50 programs, but it's not necessarily the case. If you have common sense and a good personality it goes a long way. Good luck!

--Board Scores: Step 1 238, Step 2 251
--AOA and class rank: not AOA, unknown rank (probably around 50%)
--Reputation of medical school: solid northeast school, mid-tier
--Research: one chart review poster presentation, at time of interviews submitted for publication. 2 other non-ophtho projects, also posters, no publications.
--Honors in clerkships: HP surgery, H psych, all other clerkships P.
--# and where you did away rotations: Downstate
--# of programs you applied to: 33
--Where invited for interviews (attended all): Nassau, Jamaica Hosp, Drexel, Howard, Stony Brook, Downstate, UMDNJ, Bx-Lebanon, Albany, Penn State, Brown, Upstate
--Where matched: #1/10!
--Anything that helped your app: Letter from well-known home chairman who knows me well, good at interviewing, unique background which showed in my personal statement.

Advice: Don't be afraid to go about match based significantly on location. People will tell you to "apply broadly" and that you should apply to over 50 programs, but it's not necessarily the case. If you have common sense and a good personality it goes a long way. Good luck!

nm

Last edited: