2013 Match Stats of Irish Schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

S0B

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The following are the match rates for 2013 of North American students (Canada and USA):

RCSI - 73.7%
Trinity - 92.3%
UCD - 62.5%
UCC - 72.4%
*NUIG - 100%
Limerick - 64.3%

*Only 2 graduates from NUIG and both matched

Any questions, feel free to ask below and ill try my best to answer

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have the number of NA Graduates from each school? (besides NUIG of course)

Do you have the number of NA Graduates from each school? (besides NUIG of course)

I dont have full exact numbers but RCSI tops the list at 60-70 and UCD has 30-40

Members don't see this ad :)
I dont have full exact numbers but RCSI tops the list at 60-70 and UCD has 30-40

Thanks S0B, I appreciate that you are sharing these numbers with us.
I just wondering if the numbers include 2013 graduates only or 2013 graduates in addition to graduates from previous years who did not match previously?

Thanks again

The following are the match rates for 2013 of North American students (Canada and USA):

RCSI - 73.7%
Trinity - 92.3%
UCD - 62.5%
UCC - 72.4%
*NUIG - 100%
Limerick - 64.3%

Wow thanks so much for sharing this! (I feel a lot better accepting my offer haha!) Are these stats based on the individual schools or CaRMS? Do you happen to know the # of graduates from TCD?

Thanks again!!

where did these stats come from? CaRMS? Schools? Do you have a reference? Are they just made up?
It really sucks for the students(and their families) who owe 400K and didn't match.

Reactions: 1 user
where did these stats come from? CaRMS? Schools? Do you have a reference? Are they just made up?
It really sucks for the students(and their families) who owe 400K and didn't match.

Great question, I'm eagerly waiting for S0B to let us know. My understanding is that CaRMS never discloses match stats by school for non-Canadian schools. I thought that I read somewhere that Irish grads were in a certain "A" list with CaRMS until a grad from a totally obsecure med school in a unknown part of the world launched a discrimination law suit years ago. While I'm totally against discrimination, I believe that it is not fair to compare the rigorous UK or Irish medical education with medical education in many parts of the worlds. I believe that the Irish medical grads should be treated in the same way Irish dental grads are accepted in Canada. As a Canadian, I believe that CaRMS should bear the responsibility to do a review of the medical schools and classify grads accodingly.

Last edited:
A lot of people don't match or choose not to match just because of the difficulties of applying to 2 systems at once. I think that a lot of people may not match take a year off and match the following year. There are 7 different exams to write between the US and Canada and not to mention the interviews, flying to and from and dealing with exams in your medical school especially if they don't cater to your needs. There are also electives and LoRs you have to do. Imagine trying to fit that all in your final 2 years. Its almost impossible.

Great question, I'm eagerly waiting for S0B to let us know. My understanding is that CaRMS never discloses match stats by school for non-Canadian schools. I thought that I read somewhere that Irish grads were in a certain "A" list with CaRMS until a grad from a totally obsecure med school in a unknown part of the world launched a discrimination law suit years ago. While I'm totally against discrimination, I believe that it is not fair to compare the rigorous UK or Irish medical education with medical education in many parts of the worlds. I believe that the Irish medical grads should be treated in the same way Irish dental grads are accepted in Canada. As a Canadian, I believe that CaRMS should bear the responsibility to do a review of the medical schools and classify grads accodingly.

All the stats were compiled by the graduates of each school and were officially released after all of the graduates from corresponding schools reported that they were match/unmatched. No references are available

RCSI - 73.7%
Trinity - 92.3%
UCD - 62.5%
UCC - 72.4%
*NUIG - 100%
Limerick - 64.3%

Thank you for sharing this information with us! Like Smartypants13, I would also like to know about the # of graduates for TCD. As well, how many of those students were matched to Canada?

All the stats were compiled by the graduates of each school and were officially released after all of the graduates from corresponding schools reported that they were match/unmatched. No references are available

Do you mind me asking how you got these stats then? Or where you heard of them?
Thanks

Do you mind me asking how you got these stats then? Or where you heard of them?
Thanks

Although this thread lists supposed 2013 match results, last years residency matches were quite different anyhow (at least b/w RCSI and UCD)... with UCD having 100 match success...

"RCSI
– 29 applied to CaRMS:
• 17 matched
• 2 pulled out after interviews in favour of the US (1 pre-
match and 1 who had a 1st choice program in the states)
• 2 went without interviews
• Remaining 8 had interviews and did not match successfully

• 3 matched in the US 1st Round
– 4 Canadians applied solely to the US- All 4 matched
– 4 Canadians did not partake in match in favour of
intern year

1st Round Results

• Family Medicine:
1 Memorial Nfld
3 University of Toronto
1 Queen’s University
1 University of Western Ontario
1 University of Manitoba

• Paediatrics:
1 University of Toronto (Sick Kids)
1 University of Queens
1 University of Saskatchewan

• Internal Medicine
1 University of Toronto
1 University of Ottawa
1 Queen’s University

• General Surgery
– 1 University of Western Ontario

• ENT
– 1 University of Ottawa

RCSI- ERAS matches

• Family Medicine:
– 1 Klamath Falls, Oregan
– 1 Providence, Rhode Island, Brown University

• Internal Medicine:
– 2 Cleveland Clinic, Ohio
– 1 Pennsylvania Hospital, Philadelphia
– 1 St. Luke’s & Roosevelt (NYC)

• General Surgery:
– 1 University of Southern Ohio

• Obstetrics Gynaecology:
– 1 University of Vermont
– 1 Baystate, Massachusetts

2nd Round Results
• 9 applied
• No matches in the 2nd round for 2012 grads
• Family Medicine:
– 1 (2010 Grad) Memorial University Nfld.

UCD:
• 18 Applied first round Canada
– 12 matched first round
– 5 entering second round
– 1 who didn’t match in Canada had also applied to the
US and matched in the US

• 12 Applied first round USA (mix of Canadian and
American)
– 11 matched first round
– 1 matched in SOAP but turned position down

1st Round Results

• Family Medicine
– 3 University of Manitoba (1 rural, 1 urban, 1 northern remote)
– 1 Dalhousie University
– 1 University of Toronto

• Paediatrics
– 1 University of Ottawa

• Psychiatry

• Internal Medicine
– 1 University of Ottawa

• General Surgery

UCD- ERAS Results

• Family Medicine
– Mayo Clinic

• Internal Medicine
– Mayo Clinic
– University of Pennsylvania
– Case Western Reserve

• General Surgery
– Lennox Hill (NYC)

• Paediatrics
– University of Louisville

• Psychiatry
– University of Buffalo
– University of Pittsburg[/QUOTE]
"
- Posted by someone in this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=993557

So, it doesn't matter what match results were one year, it varies annually.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, it doesn't matter what match results were one year, it varies annually.

This is exactly the point.

These should be taken with a pinch of salt, dont expect these stats to be anywhere near the stats of when you graduate or when you plan on applying.

These are confirmed estimates of this years match.

Please note that there are MANY factors which are considered:
  • Quality of candidates applied
  • Number of candidates per school
  • Residency selection (Family Med is obviously easier to match in than surgery)
  • Matched to Canada or the USA
  • Applied to ONLY Canada or ONLY USA or Both
  • First time applying, or second time applying
  • First itereration match or second
  • Number of positions per residency match
  • Location of residency (rural areas tend to be less common)
  • Etc..

These are honestly not bad matches, we are talking about University of Pennsylvania ranked #3 in the US, Cleveland Clinic and Brown. I mean clearly people are doing well.

for those of you who are interested, i found this year's match data on the nimsa website -- click on the link that says irish match data 2013 (under the general 2013 tab):

https://sites.google.com/site/nimsaucd/useful-files

*not very promising for ucd this year, unfortunately

Last edited:
I read the match data, looks very different from the match data listed by OP. For example only 1 out of the 15 applicants from TCD to CaRMS matched in 1st iteration....

I agree medstart, it is a bit confusing, Also, I cannot see a match in Alberta at all (Edmonton, Calgary, etc.) in 2012 or 2013. I'm pretty sure that there are Irish grads who matched into Alberta in both year.

I read the match data, looks very different from the match data listed by OP. For example only 1 out of the 15 applicants from TCD to CaRMS matched in 1st iteration....

No offense, but you clearly do not know how to interpret the document. Please read it more closely before you put out these false allegations

Total Applicants: 15

CaRMS matched: 6
NRMP matched: 8

TOTAL: 13 (One person applied for both CaRMS/NRMP)
87% which is very close to the number I posted

No offense, but you clearly do not know how to interpret the document. Please read it more closely before you put out these false allegations

Total Applicants: 15

CaRMS matched: 6
NRMP matched: 8

TOTAL: 13 (One person applied for both CaRMS/NRMP)
87% which is very close to the number I posted

Calm down, why are you so butt hurt over a simple question?

First of all, i didn't make allegations i was asking a question.
Second of all, u never understood my question. I said 1 Canadian matched in 1st round, not 1 in total. Yes 6 Canadians matched in total but only 1 matched 1st round.
Third of all, 87% is not 92%. Where did you get your data from? 5% in data is not considered "close", its different, your source wasn't the same as the website.

to be honest, i don't think percentage-matched is a good parameter to look at, only because the 'n' for each school is too small and as we've seen, it fluctuates from year to year. what's important is for those who did match - is it what they wanted? was it their first choice of specialty? etc. obviously this can't be done when all you have is numbers to look at, but i'm just saying take these numbers with a grain of salt.

for those of you who are interested, i found this year's match data on the nimsa website -- click on the link that says irish match data 2013 (under the general 2013 tab):

https://sites.google.com/site/nimsaucd/useful-files

*not very promising for ucd this year, unfortunately

On that document for UL, you'll see that 6/10 people that applied to the US matched. In fact, the 4 that "didn't match" actually never completed their applications. This gives the match a 6/6 for the US. :D

NOTE: 100% match rate is atypical.

Ultimately... it depends on the INDIVIDUAL. You are your own ticket in at the end of it. Its how you push yourself through the system, getting the marks and claiming those attractive elective spots.

I'm taking these stats with a grain of salt. But, its nice that it isn't 'atypical' for people to match! ;)

On that document for UL, you'll see that 6/10 people that applied to the US matched. In fact, the 4 that "didn't match" actually never completed their applications. This gives the match a 6/6 for the US. :D

NOTE: 100% match rate is atypical.

Just curious, what could cause 40% of the grads to not complete their applications?

Just curious, what could cause 40% of the grads to not complete their applications?

This is not 40% of the grads. There were 28 grads that applied to CARMS/NRMP, of which, 4 never finished the NRMP application. I don't know why they didn't complete it.

Consider that they might not have the required electives, or the required reference letters, ECs, etc. These are similar reasons that some people switch residencies or only apply to certain residencies

Greetings All,

I'm a graduating North American UCD student, matched to the US. I certainly asked a lot of questions on the forums when I was considering Ireland. I'm glad to answer any questions you might have about the program via PM.

Cheers.

These are the ratios of matches from the data compiled by the North American - Irish Students Association. They include the number of applicants from each school to the Canadian and American matches combined and the number of total matches. I'm not sure how the OP calculated their percentages.

UCD = 11/21 (52%)
RCSI = 33/35 (94%)
Trinity = 14/15 (93%)
UCC = 16/24 (67%)
NUI = 3/3 (100%)
UL = 21/28 (75%)

These are the ratios of matches from the data compiled by the North American - Irish Students Association. They include the number of applicants from each school to the Canadian and American matches combined and the number of total matches. I'm not sure how the OP calculated their percentages.

UCD = 11/21 (52%)
RCSI = 33/35 (94%)
Trinity = 14/15 (93%)
UCC = 16/24 (67%)
NUI = 3/3 (100%)
UL = 21/28 (75%)

Just give them the file and let them work it out for themselves. The data you listed assumes that Everyone applied to CaRMS as well as NRMP. There are some americans who aren't eligible to apply for Canada due to citizenship. So for RCSI for example. The real data is CaRMS (1st and 2nd): 26/35 matched and NRMP 7/15 matched. There could be some CaRMS who didn't match who applied to NRMP and matched, but we don't know for sure because the data is also mixed in with Americans who applied only to NRMP as well as possible Canadians who applied to NRMP only. So yeah, you can't just add NRMP matches to the total CaRMS applications.

UCD = 11/21 (52%)
RCSI = 33/35 (94%)
Trinity = 14/15 (93%)
UCC = 16/24 (67%)
NUI = 3/3 (100%)
UL = 21/28 (75%)

I don't know where these stats are from either! Looks off... UCD conventionally has all canadians matching back to NA (mostly to canada)...

Hey everyone,

Just to let everyone know the stats that were quoted at the top were from the CIMSA match night talk held at RCSI. I helped compile the data and have attached the powerpoint below. For people's information, this was mostly self-reported, but fairly accurate as we gathered data from people "in the know" so to speak from each school. Not hard to figure out who matched and didn't with such small sample sizes within a class. They are not 100% reported, but as close as you're really going to be able to get. The powerpoint also has all the number breakdowns people were asking about above. Please note, this is data for CANADIAN students only, but includes Canadians who matched in Canada and the US.

Attachments

• Match Stats.pptx
    155 KB · Views: 299
Hey everyone,

Just to let everyone know the stats that were quoted at the top were from the CIMSA match night talk held at RCSI. I helped compile the data and have attached the powerpoint below. For people's information, this was mostly self-reported, but fairly accurate as we gathered data from people "in the know" so to speak from each school. Not hard to figure out who matched and didn't with such small sample sizes within a class. They are not 100% reported, but as close as you're really going to be able to get. The powerpoint also has all the number breakdowns people were asking about above. Please note, this is data for CANADIAN students only, but includes Canadians who matched in Canada and the US.

Thanks, this is very useful. This is the best one.

Seeing this thread, there seems to be a lot of questions about matching back home as well. In keeping with a poster above, I've also matched in NA into a surgical subspecialty and would be open to sharing some advice. If people are interested please PM me.

Haven't been on SDN in years but this thread is indeed sobering. I see that things are changing, even since I went through in 2005-2010. Just the briefest of responses...

Matching back to North America worked for almost all my NAmerican classmates at UCC. There were 18 of us and we all matched to Canada or the US on our first try except for one woman who matched on her second try after an intern year in Cork.

Yes, a lot of us matched to FM and IM but we also had one match to FRCP Emerg in Toronto, one to ObGyn in Toronto etc. In the end, organization and preparation (and hard work) ruled. We were all on the ball with our summer electives, strategic etc. I did a residency in Saskatchewan strategically because there were spots for IMGs but I got excellent training and now I'm a hospitalist in Victoria (best job ever) straight out of residency. So I went straight through from year one in Cork, made all my matches and job acquisitions first try, had a tremendous experience and have zero regrets. All this to say it's not all bad!

And BTW, perhaps the numbers are actually much worse in a couple of years but our UCC match rate was 17/18 our year (94%). Wonder if this matches the number supplied by the Irish Med Students' Association or whatever it's called...?

Last edited:
After the Limerick interviews the staff did a presentation about the university and informed us that indeed only 75% of students matched into a North American residency. However, they did say that some students opted to remain in Ireland and that there was only one student without a job for the next year, a 4th year who was dead set on getting a neurosurgery residency.

Given the above data, is it harder to match back to North American from Ireland as an American than it is as a Canadian? The NRMP match data for Americans trying to match to the US is awful from this year, which is odd given 53% of IMGs matched this year in the US, higher than previous years. UCD had a match rate of 1/3 for Americans with 3 electing not to apply, awful. Could someone explain the TCD data to me? I do not get it, unless the 8/14 match rate for NRMP includes people who matched into CaRMS then withdrew from NRMP. Regardless, it means only 2/3 Americans matched (there were only 3-4 Americans at TCD?). Additionally, the match data for TCD does not make sense as it states 2 were unmatched overall and 15 applied (13/15). However, it then shows 6 CaRMS and 8 NRMP matches, unless someone matched to both NRMP and CaRMS if that is possible?

Given the above data, is it harder to match back to North American from Ireland as an American than it is as a Canadian? The NRMP match data for Americans trying to match to the US is awful from this year, which is odd given 53% of IMGs matched this year in the US, higher than previous years. UCD had a match rate of 1/3 for Americans with 3 electing not to apply, awful. Could someone explain the TCD data to me? I do not get it, unless the 8/14 match rate for NRMP includes people who matched into CaRMS then withdrew from NRMP. Regardless, it means only 2/3 Americans matched (there were only 3-4 Americans at TCD?). Additionally, the match data for TCD does not make sense as it states 2 were unmatched overall and 15 applied (13/15). However, it then shows 6 CaRMS and 8 NRMP matches, unless someone matched to both NRMP and CaRMS if that is possible?

I think my math was wrong, did only 2 Americans apply and only 1 match?

Hi- Just wanted to add some American data to this thread since CIMSA shared. This data from the April 2014 match talk at RCSI by AMSA (american medical student association). The data is self reported and cross checked with RCSI administration's lists. I can't post the presentation as it has a lot of personal details on it, so this is a summary of the lecture (if you dont want to read everything, its summed up at the bottom) - apologies in advance for the length.

Our data from the 2014 NRMP match, as of mid april, is 29/33 final meds, + 9 graduates from previous years for a total of 38 matched.
- 13 of these are American (note that there are typically only 15-20 Americans each year in RCSI)
- 13 of these were Canadian
- 4 of these were Irish nationals who are forgoing their HSE intern year (this is atypical)
- 8 were other nationalities (Lebonese, Saudi Arabian, Kuwaiti, UAE, Jordanian, Syrian)

- 2 were couple matched
- 1 was SOAP (as of mid April)
- 4 did not match (as of mid April)

- 17 IM
- 8 Peds
- 5 OBGYN
- 1 FM
- 1 gen surg
- 1 ophthalmology
- 1 neurosurgery
- 1 anesthesiology
- 1 Radiology
- 1 EM/IM combined
- 1 Peds/IM combined
- 1 pathology

Majority of the programs were academic and most were East Coast, including Mayo, Cleveland, Harvard (Brigham and Women's), Mt Sinai, Columbia, Tufts (baystate, maine, lahey), Henry Ford, UofUtah, UofColorado, Miami, Pittsburgh, UPenn - to name a few. If you are intent on going to California, RCSI has traditionally been not great (its not impossible!) there, but it is an administration goal to create more links into California.

Couple things to think about: people who felt like they weren't competitive for whatever reason self selected out before even starting the application process and aren't included in the data sets (we aren't trying to inflate the numbers, we just don't have the data gathering ability for this- but we are aware that this inflates the numbers). The reasons range from personal, wanted to do a research year, wanted to do an intern year in the HSE first. As an observation (and not supported by any sort of numbers), more people in the 5/6 year program elect to do an Irish internship or research year before applying to ERAS - the GEP match numbers are typically very high. Also, the Canadians somewhat distort the data... almost all the Canadians apply for ERAS and then pull out before Match Day because Canada's first round is before the NRMP Match. We can't say whether or not these people would have gotten in ERAS or not (we could assume that they do, but we choose not to deal with the data and leave it to CIMSA). We also can't say whether or not the Canadians who matched in ERAS had America as their first choice or it was a backup and they didn't get into Canada's 1st round. We also can't guarantee that these results will project 4-6 years into the future.

With those caveats, the take home message is:
- RCSI matches more Americans back to America than the NRMP A-IMG rate of 53%, and has consistently done so.
- The programs that people match to are good matches- places and specialties that people want and not "safety programs", and in major urban academic centers.
- East Coast (especially northeast) has the highest concentration of matches, with the Great Lakes area being a close second.
- Many competitive places are familiar with RCSI (and all Irish) students by now - in places like Cleveland, Baystate and Mt Sinai, RCSI graduates are department heads and chief residents. This isn't a guarantee that you'll get in or even an interview, but it means you might have a foot in the door and not get auto screened out for being an IMG.
- I can't speak for any other schools, but if you are comparing the merits of Irish schools in regards to the match, RCSI has a vice dean level administrator and counselling staff devoted to all things Canada/US for support with USMLE/MCEE (as well as tutorials), north american electives and ERAS/CaRMs as well as an active Alumni Portal. I can't even begin to describe how important this is.

-AMSA (RCSI)
----------------------
Any questions about our match data or about anything RCSI from an American perspective can be sent to [email protected]
We would love to collaborate (talks, lectures, socials, sports days, data sharing) and get involved with Americans or the North American societies at the other Irish universities. Please contact us at [email protected] and we will set up a meeting!

Hi- Just wanted to add some American data to this thread since CIMSA shared. This data from the April 2014 match talk at RCSI by AMSA (american medical student association). The data is self reported and cross checked with RCSI administration's lists. I can't post the presentation as it has a lot of personal details on it, so this is a summary of the lecture (if you dont want to read everything, its summed up at the bottom) - apologies in advance for the length.

Our data from the 2014 NRMP match, as of mid april, is 29/33 final meds, + 9 graduates from previous years for a total of 38 matched.
- 13 of these are American (note that there are typically only 15-20 Americans each year in RCSI)
- 13 of these were Canadian
- 4 of these were Irish nationals who are forgoing their HSE intern year (this is atypical)
- 8 were other nationalities (Lebonese, Saudi Arabian, Kuwaiti, UAE, Jordanian, Syrian)

- 2 were couple matched
- 1 was SOAP (as of mid April)
- 4 did not match (as of mid April)

- 17 IM
- 8 Peds
- 5 OBGYN
- 1 FM
- 1 gen surg
- 1 ophthalmology
- 1 neurosurgery
- 1 anesthesiology
- 1 Radiology
- 1 EM/IM combined
- 1 Peds/IM combined
- 1 pathology

Majority of the programs were academic and most were East Coast, including Mayo, Cleveland, Harvard (Brigham and Women's), Mt Sinai, Columbia, Tufts (baystate, maine, lahey), Henry Ford, UofUtah, UofColorado, Miami, Pittsburgh, UPenn - to name a few. If you are intent on going to California, RCSI has traditionally been not great (its not impossible!) there, but it is an administration goal to create more links into California.

Couple things to think about: people who felt like they weren't competitive for whatever reason self selected out before even starting the application process and aren't included in the data sets (we aren't trying to inflate the numbers, we just don't have the data gathering ability for this- but we are aware that this inflates the numbers). The reasons range from personal, wanted to do a research year, wanted to do an intern year in the HSE first. As an observation (and not supported by any sort of numbers), more people in the 5/6 year program elect to do an Irish internship or research year before applying to ERAS - the GEP match numbers are typically very high. Also, the Canadians somewhat distort the data... almost all the Canadians apply for ERAS and then pull out before Match Day because Canada's first round is before the NRMP Match. We can't say whether or not these people would have gotten in ERAS or not (we could assume that they do, but we choose not to deal with the data and leave it to CIMSA). We also can't say whether or not the Canadians who matched in ERAS had America as their first choice or it was a backup and they didn't get into Canada's 1st round. We also can't guarantee that these results will project 4-6 years into the future.

With those caveats, the take home message is:
- RCSI matches more Americans back to America than the NRMP A-IMG rate of 53%, and has consistently done so.
- The programs that people match to are good matches- places and specialties that people want and not "safety programs", and in major urban academic centers.
- East Coast (especially northeast) has the highest concentration of matches, with the Great Lakes area being a close second.
- Many competitive places are familiar with RCSI (and all Irish) students by now - in places like Cleveland, Baystate and Mt Sinai, RCSI graduates are department heads and chief residents. This isn't a guarantee that you'll get in or even an interview, but it means you might have a foot in the door and not get auto screened out for being an IMG.
- I can't speak for any other schools, but if you are comparing the merits of Irish schools in regards to the match, RCSI has a vice dean level administrator and counselling staff devoted to all things Canada/US for support with USMLE/MCEE (as well as tutorials), north american electives and ERAS/CaRMs as well as an active Alumni Portal. I can't even begin to describe how important this is.

-AMSA (RCSI)
----------------------
Any questions about our match data or about anything RCSI from an American perspective can be sent to [email protected]
We would love to collaborate (talks, lectures, socials, sports days, data sharing) and get involved with Americans or the North American societies at the other Irish universities. Please contact us at [email protected] and we will set up a meeting!

Thanks for the information and congrats to RCSI's success in this years match. It is truly impressive for FMGs to match into some competitive programs.

I am wondering what the average step I/II scores are for people at RCSI (and other Irish schools) who have matched. Also, where and how many US electives do they obtain during their final year? Do you think the school name and country of study was a major determining factor over other schools or was it just that your graduates achieve high step scores? I personally am asking this as I have an average step I score at a non-carib school and wanted to gauge my chances.

It would be great if a matched applicant could share their experiences.

Also, I am sure a lot of FMGs would be interested in this as well.

Did most students match into the very same programs that they had done elective rotations at?