2013 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Received a generalized letter that I will be ranked for the forensic rotation at SB County. Did any receive an interview invite?

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a generic email with an attachment from San Bernardino. It says I will be ranked by them, even though I did not get an interview. Is this the case for anyone else? I wonder if they are interviewing at all? Confusing :confused:

generic rejection from st. louis VA. it indicated that some ppl have already gotten a rejection and that they ar sending this second email to them too bc it contains stats of their process. since i didnt get the first email, kinda makes me wonder if i was still under consideration until right now. hmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received a generalized letter that I will be ranked for the forensic rotation at SB County. Did any receive an interview invite?

StillMotivated, does yours specify the forensic track? I applied to both but my letter isn't specific. I guess I'll consider ranking both...

Just got a generic email with an attachment from San Bernardino. It says I will be ranked by them, even though I did not get an interview. Is this the case for anyone else? I wonder if they are interviewing at all? Confusing :confused:

I got a rejection from them today that stated I will not be ranked, they didn't mention interviews so I am assuming they are just going to rank those they notified. Congrats!

I know San Bernardino did do interviews for at least some for the general outpatient opening.

StillMotivated, does yours specify the forensic track? I applied to both but my letter isn't specific. I guess I'll consider ranking both...

They didn't I only applied to one so I assumed it was for the one I applied to

generic rejection from st. louis VA. it indicated that some ppl have already gotten a rejection and that they ar sending this second email to them too bc it contains stats of their process. since i didnt get the first email, kinda makes me wonder if i was still under consideration until right now. hmm.

Wagwise: I received the same exact email. So, i am not sure if we were still under consideration until now, but point is we got rejected. Good luck with the rest though. Expecting to hear back from more people...presumably rejections, since it's kinda late in the game.

Wagwise: I received the same exact email. So, i am not sure if we were still under consideration until now, but point is we got rejected. Good luck with the rest though. Expecting to hear back from more people...presumably rejections, since it's kinda late in the game.

I just got the same email. I actually thought it sounded like some applicants had contacted them already and may have already known their status, but this was the official email to everyone.. but who knows. I agree.. it essentially doesn't matter.

Also, rejection email from James M. Quillen/Mountain Home VA.

Rejections rolling in, but honestly. I'm just so thankful to know....

2 places I haven't seen anyone hearing from that I'm also waiting on are the Ohio Psych Internship and the University of Vermont ... Anyone? I emailed the TD at the Ohio Psych place, but hadn't emailed the TD at the University of Vermont, because I had heard from her on Monday that I was still in consideration and my application was under review... so maybe they just still haven't made decisions?

I just got the same email. I actually thought it sounded like some applicants had contacted them already and may have already known their status, but this was the official email to everyone.. but who knows. I agree.. it essentially doesn't matter.

2 places I haven't seen anyone hearing from that I'm also waiting on are the Ohio Psych Internship and the University of Vermont ... Anyone? I emailed the TD at the Ohio Psych place, but hadn't emailed the TD at the University of Vermont, because I had heard from her on Monday that I was still in consideration and my application was under review... so maybe they just still haven't made decisions?

the staggered rejection thing is throwing me for a loop, i haven't gotten my rejection from james M Quillen yet, but i know ppl got interviews ages ago so its not likely that id get an interview....

I'm not sure if this has already been posted or if anyone is still waiting on this one, but apprantly UCSF/SFGH Child & Adolescent Services has withdrawn from Phase II.

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed all of the sites I have yet to hear from, and this is what I have so far:

University of Florida HSC Child/Pediatric Psychology track is officially done.
JBFCS for the Adolescent Track is officially done.

What do you mean, "officially done"? As in, they completed interviews and you did not receive one?

I am also waiting on Ohio Psychology Internship. I emailed the TD since Monday but no response yet....

I'm not sure if this has already been posted or if anyone is still waiting on this one, but apprantly UCSF/SFGH Child & Adolescent Services has withdrawn from Phase II.

Oh wow I didn't know this, did you email them to find this out?

Ok, I have to ask again I'm sorry! Any news from Nor Cal VA or Coatesville VA??

Technically I am waiting on 4 more, although at this point I can probably guess they are a no:

New Mexico State
Southern Illinois
Indiana University Purdue
Central Cal Consortium State Center Community College

I applied to U of VT too. No response yet and no mention here as well.

Technically I am waiting on 4 more, although at this point I can probably guess they are a no:

New Mexico State
Southern Illinois
Indiana University Purdue
Central Cal Consortium State Center Community College

I applied to Southern Illinois and the Central CA Consortium, as well. Given that no one I know has heard from them one way or the other, I'm not ruling them out yet!

I applied to Southern Illinois and the Central CA Consortium, as well. Given that no one I know has heard from them one way or the other, I'm not ruling them out yet!

Have others heard from Indiana and New Mexico that you know of?

the staggered rejection thing is throwing me for a loop, i haven't gotten my rejection from james M Quillen yet, but i know ppl got interviews ages ago so its not likely that id get an interview....

well I emailed the TD at James M Quillen because it was rolling and I wanted to know. The tone seemed like they were done offering interviews though...

I applied to U of VT too. No response yet and no mention here as well.

I had already emailed the TD at U of VT on Monday to check my status, and am hesitant to email them again yet. On monday, I was still in consideration and she said they were still reviewing applications and would be getting back to us later in the week.

Have you contacted them or thought about it?

I just saw it, it kind of reads like a big F you to everyone who applied there!

Completely agree. It was as if they were saying, "We looked over your materials, and none of you were good enough for our site."

Interviews for NorCal VA went out March 4 (email). I havent heard from Coatesville VA as of yet either.

these were my two top choices. sad to hear that it must have been a no from NorCal, mayb there is still a chance with coatesville.

avocadobunny, seems like we r both waiting on it, hopefully we find something out today!

Completely agree. It was as if they were saying, "We looked over your materials, and none of you were good enough for our site."

Wow, i just read their announcement. It honestly did sound like that... harsh! I can't imagine that there weren't super qualified people applying who would have been a good fit.... good gracious! Sorry guys :(

I thought that sites weren't allowed to withdraw from Phase II unless they [supposedly] lost funding for the position?

I thought that sites weren't allowed to withdraw from Phase II unless they [supposedly] lost funding for the position?

I was actually thinking about this, it's very strange to say that out of the 100+ applications we got none were good enough so we just aren't going to have an intern this year!

Here's what APPIC guidelines say about this:

"A site can decide not to offer an unfilled position in Phase II only if it decides not to fill the position in the program for the coming year (e.g., anticipated loss of funding, shifting of funding to other purposes). Removing an unfilled position from Phase II of the Match for any other reason requires APPIC approval."

It's actually kind of confusing, because they give loss of funding just as an example. However, at the same time, the above quote says that they need APPIC approval to remove an unfilled position from Phase II for other reasons. UCSF has decided to withdraw, but we do not know if they are leaving their position unfilled. I do agree, though, that their Late-Breaking News post sounds entitled, and I feel bad for those that took the time to apply to their site and be greeted with this kind of message.

This is the exact policy, as stated by APPIC:

All positions at an internship site that remain unfilled in Phase I of the Match must be offered to applicants in Phase II of the Match. A site can decide not to offer an unfilled position in Phase II only if it decides not to fill the position in the program for the coming year (e.g., anticipated loss of funding, shifting of funding to other purposes). Removing an unfilled position from Phase II of the Match for any other reason requires APPIC approval.

So it sounds like if the site isn't going to fill the position at all, then they're allowed to withdraw it. Or if they have special permission from APPIC.

Regardless, between its withdrawing the internship spot, and the recent thread discussing its offering of unfunded postdoc positions, I'm quickly losing a lot of respect for UCSF. This seems to say a lot about the administration's view on the importance/respect (or lack thereof) they allot to psychology.

Ok, so I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be going through this hellish process again in the Fall. However, I was wondering if there are APA sites in the Post-Match Vacancy? It seems highly unlikely but I was just curious if anyone had some insight.

Last edited:
If anyone was waiting to hear from Humboldt Unified School District, I finally received an email back from the TD that they've completed interviews and "have already selected an intern".

Ok, so I've resigned myself to the fact that I will be going through this hellish process again in the Fall. However, I was wondering if there are APA sites in the Post-Match Vacancy? It seems highly unlikely but I was just curious if anyone had some insight.

Here is a link to the stats.. they post how many of both apa and non apa sites are left for the post-match vacancy by year. If I remember correctly, I looked before and haven't seen an APA site left over, but feel free to look.

Also, what the heck is going on on here today... A site pulling out of phase II under strange-potentially uncalled for reasons and a site having "already found an intern"... This crazy process just became pure insanity.

If anyone was waiting to hear from Humboldt Unified School District, I finally received an email back from the TD that they've completed interviews and "have already selected an intern".

What? Have already selected an intern? So they are ranking one person or offering it only to one person? How can they be so sure that they will get who they want? I really don't like the games some of these sites play. It kind of defeats the purpose of ranking/matching. It sounds like this site is doing it more like the post-vacancy way where if they like you, they offer it to you.

Last year Johns Hopkins counseling center had a post-match vacancy. Keep in mind people might have to withdraw post-match for unforseen reasons. I had a friend go through this a few years ago and found out she was pregnant right after matching to a site, and she chose to give up the spot. (It was one of those sites that expects interns to be available like 70 hours a week, not ideal for a new mom. Also it was far from her husband, and they decided together that they wanted both parents to be around for the baby.) So it could happen!

Here is a link to the stats.. they post how many of both apa and non apa sites are left for the post-match vacancy by year. If I remember correctly, I looked before and haven't seen an APA site left over, but feel free to look.

Also, what the heck is going on on here today... A site pulling out of phase II under strange-potentially uncalled for reasons and a site having "already found an intern"... This crazy process just became pure insanity.

Oops.. here is the link: http://www.appic.org/Match/Match-Statistics

If I had received that e-mail, I would have highly considered reporting it. Is this an APA-accredited site? or APPIC approved?
It's an APPIC member (Part of the Arizona Psychology Training Consortium), but isn't APPIC approved. I don't necessarily want to assume exactly what the training director meant by his statement, but it did sound pretty unprofessional to me.

It's an APPIC member (Part of the Arizona Psychology Training Consortium), but isn't APPIC approved. I don't necessarily want to assume exactly what the training director meant by his statement, but it did sound pretty unprofessional to me.
I meant it isn't APA approved...not APPIC approved