2013 - 2014 Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School Name: UCSB
Degree
: PhD
Type: Combined
Track: Clinical track
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/8
How were you notified:
Email from POI
Interview Date: 12/11
Additional Info:
Skype interview. POI had previously contacted me to fill out some add'l info, then followed up this past weekend to schedule a short Skype session.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Would people that post interview invites be kind enough to post their GPA, GRE, and years of research experience? This may help us get a better picture of the applicant pool who is getting invites. Congrats to all who have started to hear!

Grenas reported that her friend got a preliminary interview from a counseling POI at UCSB.

I think I'm actually asking if any other people applying to the counseling track received an invitation from a different POI than Dr. Andres Consoli. I did not apply to work with him and was wondering if my particular POI has not extended invites yet. I hope Andres Consoli isn't the person who's sending out all the invites because that would mean I'm already done for this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Degree
Track: Clinical track
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/8
How were you notified:
Email from POI
Interview Date: 12/11
Additional Info:
Skype interview. POI had previously contacted me to fill out some add'l info, then followed up this past weekend to schedule a short Skype session.
Yeah, Congratulations. My POI is not Dr. Kia-Keating. Does anyone else hear from other POIs in the clinical track??

Last edited:
Those of us who have taken on this level of debt did so consciously (although it's nice to sometimes dissociate from it) because we believe that the education is worth it.

I think this is flawed logic as it applies to doctoral programs. Programs with average and above average outcomes fund their students, at least partially, yet your statement would suggest that funded programs are less "worth it," despite their better modal outcomes. At least with small, expensive colleges, you can make the argument that you're paying for smaller classes, more one-on-one mentorship, etc., but in doctoral programs, those "perks" exist much more (though not exclusively) at funded programs than unfunded ones. By almost every quantifiable outcome--even APPIC hours--funded programs provide better modal training. That's not to say that individual people can't get excellent training at unfunded programs (they can and do, and some unfunded programs have *excellent* faculty in their ranks) or subpar training at funded programs (again, they can and do), but on a whole, it's hard to deny that funded programs have all-around better outcomes on average. Taking on triple figures in debt doesn't mean your education is de facto better.

Congrats to those who have gotten invites and good luck to all who are applying!

UCSB is perennially one of the first programs to give out invites each year, and I hope you all have many exciting emails and phone calls coming your way. :D

Reactions: 1 users
I saw on grad cafe some people have gotten interviews to (non-clinical) programs at UNC-Chapel Hill and Temple. Anyone applying to Clinical programs has heard from them?

Also, I got an email from my POI at UMKC saying that she will be in touch soon - whatever that means, I am not sure.

School Name: University of Mississippi
Degree
Type: Clinical
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/11
How were you notified:
call from a professor (school didn't have pre-determined POIs)
Interview Date: 2/7-2/8
Additional Info:
Professor called to notify me I'd be on list to be interviewed, advised grad student should be sending out clarification e-mail to discern potential POIs and set up interview time sometime before Christmas (hopefully).

This is my first ever official interview invite, so I'm INCREDIBLY excited! Good luck to all!

Congrats, fallen625! If your POI at UMKC said they will be getting in touch, they are letting you know they are interested in you. Hopefully interest = interview.

Big congratulations to woodstock219 on the invite! Very exciting.

It is great that people are starting to get some good news rolling in, though I suspect it is going to be a test of patience for many of us.

School Name: Washington University in St. Louis
Degree: PhD
Date Interview Invite Received: 11/27
How were you notified: Email
Who notified you: POI
Interview Date: Arranging now via email, it is a Phone Interview
Additional Info: Phone Interview

Congrats! do you think you could PM me your POI? Thank you so much.

I have a phone interview (what I assume to be a pre-interview as he stated he wanted to ask me some questions) with my POI at the University of Florida, Counseling Psychology program. I received an email on December 12th. Good luck to all :)

As the Chicago School interviewee...

...a pleasant interview experience...
...a bunch of little factors...
...speaking to faculty in great detail about their background...
...feel comfortable in the classroom...
...I was impressed the faculty took the time to call my letters of recommendation...

None of those feels is a good reason to take on massive debt, incur the risk of not matching to an accredited internship, incur the risk of not being able to pay the debt off, etc. If you're impressed by something so immaterial as them calling your letter writers you need to seriously reorganize your thinking about how to choose to spend an enormous amount of money and the next several years of your life.

Additionally, finances are not as much of a concern for me, and I'm well aware of what I would be getting myself into.

Are you independently wealthy? If so, do whatever you like. If not, talk to someone with actual finance experience to test whether you are actually aware of what you are getting into.

My biggest concern is the APA match rate. In this regard I would hope my proactive personality traits would be an asset - eg, I usually take classes a semester or two ahead of schedule to have a buffer in case poop hits the fan; eg, I reached out to internship sites for my masters program months before most of my cohort started looking.

Yes, the problem for folks who didn't match is that they didn't want it enough. :dead: You realize that EVERYONE thinks they will be the exception to the rule, right? You should be able to apply things learned in UG social psych to determine whether that is a good way to think about this.

I would also say I have external constraints influencing my program selection. As an openly gay student, I would feel much more comfortable attending a doctoral program in Chicago than in some of the other locations I applied (Oklahoma, Texas, Kentucky).

Oklahoma and Texas are filled entirely with homophobes and Chicago is completely filled with amazing people? Really. As a gay man too, I personally reject that kind of spun-glass attitude--you're going to encounter problems anywhere. I went to grad school in a conservative area and am now faculty in Texas. I had a wonderful grad school experience and have no problems here.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the link - I'm always on the lookout for additional resources pertaining to the APA match process so this is much appreciated. I just want to respond to one thing:
Oklahoma and Texas are filled entirely with homophobes and Chicago is completely filled with amazing people? Really. As a gay man too, I personally reject that kind of spun-glass attitude--you're going to encounter problems anywhere. I went to grad school in a conservative area and am now faculty in Texas. I had a wonderful grad school experience and have no problems here.
I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful grad school experience. Unfortunately, my experience in the deep south has been less than wonderful. In terms of individual attitudes, there are always exceptions to the majority belief - but that does not change the overall climate. I understand your other points about match rates and finances, but reading anecdotal evidence that a gay male has had a positive experience in Texas seems irrelevant to my lived experiences in the northeast, midwest, and south, especially when there is so much diversity within any population (including gay males).

Last edited:
Thanks for the link - I'm always on the lookout for additional resources pertaining to the APA match process so this is much appreciated. I just want to respond to one thing:

I'm glad to hear you had such a wonderful grad school experience. Unfortunately, my experience in the deep south has been less than wonderful. In terms of individual attitudes, there are always exceptions to the majority belief - but that does not change the overall climate. I understand your other points about match rates and finances, but reading anecdotal evidence that a gay male has had a positive experience in Texas seems irrelevant to my lived experiences in the northeast, midwest, and south, especially when there is so much diversity within any population (including gay males).

Your last paragraph kind of makes MCParent's point. There are people who are homophobic and people who are LGBTQ supporters everywhere--Chicago, Texas, etc. Plus, universities, even the more conservatives areas of the countries, tend to be fairly LGBTQ-accepting.

School Name: Texas Tech University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/14/2013
Degree
Interview Date: 1/31
Additional Info: In person interview, optional social event the night before

Last edited:
Guys, can we not do this Psy.D. vs Ph.D. argument on this thread? How about someone create a new up to date thread for such arguments so as to keep them separate? Every thread does not have to be an argument, but I am sure everyone appreciates everyone else's input.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, can we not do this Psy.D. vs Ph.D. argument on this thread? How about someone create a new up to date thread for such arguments so as to keep them separate? Every thread does not have to be an argument, but I am sure everyone appreciates everyone else's input.

Yeah, I agree. Let's keep this about interview invites, and all the anxiety, heartbreak and celebration that goes with the territory.

Yeah, I agree. Let's keep this about interview invites, and all the anxiety, heartbreak and celebration that goes with the territory.

Agreed. This goes for everyone in the thread, new or old (NOTE: This isn't meant to start new arguments either, lol).

Agreed. This goes for everyone in the thread, new or old (NOTE: This isn't meant to start new arguments either, lol).

Thank you!!

Based on past notification dates, I will not hear until mid-January, but that doesn't stop me from checking this site and thegradcafe 5000X per day! Ugh, this has been quite anxiety provoking!! Good luck everyone!

I know that SUNY Buffalo gives out interviews earlier than most schools, but this was definitely a pleasant surprise considering that it came so late at night AND on a Sunday! I'm very excited all the same :)!
School Name: SUNY Buffalo
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/15/2013
Interview Date: 30 minute telephone interview (probably pre-interview) sometime this week.
Additional Info: I know that, historically, SUNY Buffalo does have in-person interviews, so I'm pretty sure this must be a pre-interview though the email doesn't mention this at all. I was given several dates to choose from to talk about my application more in-depth with my POI and then also ask any question I might have.

Last edited:
School Name: Antioch University
Date Interview Invite Received:12/16/2013
Degree: PsyD
Track: Child/Ad
Who notified you: Head of admissions
Interview Date: 1/11
Additional Info: This is the early admission invite, so only pertains to those who applied by 12/2. All early applicants will be notified by 12/20.

Last edited:
Antioch University in Keene, NH just invited me today to interview on 1/11. I applied by their early Dec deadline. I am so excited!
Edit: applied by Dec 2. All early applicants will be notified by dec 20. Good luck! Hope to see some of you there :)

Please fill the information out in the proper format (see the initial post, or even post directly above yours for formatting info) :) Info missing here.

For anyone else applying to the UCSB CCSP program, I received an email invitation to attend their in-person interview day on Friday, January 17th. I'm applying to Clinical, btw - not sure if they divide it up by track or if different tracks notify at different times.

For anyone else applying to the UCSB CCSP program, I received an email invitation to attend their in-person interview day on Friday, January 17th. I'm applying to Clinical, btw - not sure if they divide it up by track or if different tracks notify at different times.

That's awesome but please use the correct format so I can post this. :)

That's awesome but please use the correct format so I can post this. :)
Oh - I had already posted (in the correct format) about the Skype interview/first contact, so I thought maybe I would just post the date of the in-person interview and it could be updated or just for people to note. Will PM you a formatted response as well. :)

Date Interview Invite Received: 12/16/2013
Track: Clinical
Who notified you: CCSP program assistant
Interview Date: 1/17
Additional Info: Followed Skype interview with POI.

Oh - I had already posted (in the correct format) about the Skype interview/first contact, so I thought maybe I would just post the date of the in-person interview and it could be updated or just for people to note. Will PM you a formatted response as well. :)

Track: Clinical
Who notified you: CCSP program assistant
Interview Date: 1/17
Additional Info: Followed Skype interview with POI.
Double awesome! Updated! Thanks :)

I know this is crazy, but I just got another interview. No worries guys, this is total coincidence. I just happened to apply to schools that notify people early:

School Name: Louisiana State University
Interview Date: 02/07/14
Additional Info: Transportation and housing will be arranged. There is a dinner at a clinical faculty member’s house on Saturday.

School Name: Sam Houston State University
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/13/2013
Type: Clinical Psychology
Track: Forensic Focus
How were you notified: phone call
Who notified you: Department Personnel
Interview Date: 2/7/2013

Good luck, everyone!

Please fill the information out in the proper format (see the initial post, or even post directly above yours for formatting info) :) Info missing here.
So sorry! Edited.

Wow, we're on a roll!!! (Stares at email hopefully). Congrats everyone :)

I know this is crazy, but I just got another interview. No worries guys, this is total coincidence. I just happened to apply to schools that notify people early:

Additional Info: Transportation and housing will be arranged. There is a dinner at a clinical faculty member’s house on Saturday.

Care to share who your POI is?

It may be a coincidence that your programs are notifying early, but you are obviously a good candidate! Congratulations.

And congratulations to everyone who has received an interview invite. I cannot believe that we are really here, it seemed so far off when I was filling out all of my applications.

Last edited:
Based on previous threads, I'm not expecting to hear anything from the programs that I applied to until the first or second week of January. I told myself that I would not check SDN or GC until then... So much for my will power! Lol. Congrats to those of you who have already received invites!

Congratulations! It sounds like you are a very strong candidate! Could I ask who your POI was? You can PM me if you'd rather not share on the forum.

Darn all these invites are already making me so nervous!! Congrats to others...

Oddly enough no one has be invited to the Psy.D. Program I was recently accepted to. I wanted to get to know some SDNers that would be in my program lol.

After months of reading through these boards, I'm happy to have something to report. Just received an invitation for a preliminary phone interview. After applications, I was looking for a bit of a respite, but the nerves can now continue unabated. Best of luck to everyone going through this process, you're not alone.
School Name: University of Vermont
Degree
Track: Adult (Trauma Focus)
Interview Date: TBD - phone interview

Last edited:
I'm more than happy to share POI information about any school, but do not feel comfortable posting openly about it on the thread. If you're interested, PM me. I'll get back to you as soon I can.

Can anybody confirm that they have received an on-site interview for UCSB's combined program specializing in counseling psychology?

School Name: Antioch University New England
Date Interview Invite Received:12/16/2013
Degree: PsyD
Track: Child/Ad
Who notified you: Head of admissions
Interview Date: 1/11
Additional Info: Early admission cycle invite, so only for those who applied by 12/2.

It is so cool to see so many people getting invites! I just hate waiting around. I have one interview on 1/11 (Antioch, posted above), but I want to prepare! Does anyone know if there are threads about basic interview etiquette, or better yet, threads from people who reported on what happened at their interview? I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Should we make this??

It is so cool to see so many people getting invites! I just hate waiting around. I have one interview on 1/11 (Antioch, posted above), but I want to prepare! Does anyone know if there are threads about basic interview etiquette, or better yet, threads from people who reported on what happened at their interview? I did a search, but couldn't find anything. Should we make this??

Yeah, that would be a great resource if there isn't one already. And I'll see you in NH on 1/11, carapox!

Yeah, that would be a great resource if there isn't one already. And I'll see you in NH on 1/11, carapox!
I think I may start one after my interview if there isn't another one up by then. Congrats on your invite!!!

School Name: SUNY Albany
Date Interview Invite Received: 12/17/2013
Type: Counseling Psychology
How were you notified: Phone call
Who notified you: Doctoral Training Director
Interview Date: 2/7/2014 or 2/10/2014

Last edited: