2013-2014 APPIC (internship) Phase II

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wish an interview could really be a better snapshot of what working with me would be like. :/

I agree. I left a couple of my interviews asking myself what the hell my interviewer learned about me.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
psychrat, I'm with you. 8 in phase I and 5 in phase II. I think getting further on my dissertation and practicing interviewing are key, even though I do think interviews went better in phase II. maybe we could support each other in that somehow.

Definitely. Maybe we could exchange info in the fall and practice together.

I have to say, my story is very similar to JennyAnn4's. I was starting to wonder if we were the same person! I just matched in Phase II of this year, after not matching in either Phase I or II of last year. I applied to about 4 sites in post-vacancy, but I never heard back from any of them. It was around the end of the semester last year when I decided to quit post-vacancy and worry solely on improving my application for this year. Obviously it was crushing when I didn't match Phase I of this year either. However, like JennyAnn said, I spoke with my supervisors and one of them told me something that really stood out. She said that internship is only a blip in the radar of my career. She was also angry and offended that I didn't match, and it really increased my confidence for Phase II. I think it showed on my new cover letters and my interviews.

Also, in case any of you forget to download your AAPIs, last year I actually forgot to download it before they shut down the web-site after Phase II (silly me). However, I e-mailed [email protected] and they sent me my basic AAPI right away.

wait...they delete your AAPI information? when?

Members don't see this ad :)
The term "portal" reminds me of Mortal Kombat. Which... is actually pretty accurate, when you think about it.

Reactions: 5 users
So I emailed my phase ii sites to get feedback on my interviews and have heard back from one site so far. They said that it is their policy to not provide feedback to applicants, but that I was a strong candidate and that he doubts that I will have disappointing news next year. I am considering re-applying to this site since I feel that it was a good match. Do you think it is ok to apply to sites that you interviewed at before?

I would reapply to sites. I may not put anything about reapplying in my cover letters, but after getting another interview there maybe you could mention in-person to your interviewers that you interviewed there last year (and liked the site so much that you are back!). Also, I would definitely rewrite all the cover letter to sites where you reapply - just in case they keep that stuff on file.

Reactions: 1 user
So I emailed my phase ii sites to get feedback on my interviews and have heard back from one site so far. They said that it is their policy to not provide feedback to applicants, but that I was a strong candidate and that he doubts that I will have disappointing news next year. I am considering re-applying to this site since I feel that it was a good match. Do you think it is ok to apply to sites that you interviewed at before?
One of my phase II sites invited me to apply again next year, so I am planning to do so. Another student who did not match in Phase 2 last year reapplied to and got interviews at a couple of her sites from Phase 2, so I think it is definitely fine. I don't know if I will reapply to any Phase I sites though.

DEFINITELY APPLY AGAIN if it is a good match. Sites see it as a sign of your commitment to what they do and may be very happy to interview you again. Especially if progress on the dissertation is important to them, you will be a significantly different candidate next time through. Remember that sites often rank a long list of candidates they would be happy to have match...but they only get to match with a few of those they rank and could be very glad to see you were not daunted about applying again because of how you value them.

One of my phase II sites invited me to apply again next year, so I am planning to do so. Another student who did not match in Phase 2 last year reapplied to and got interviews at a couple of her sites from Phase 2, so I think it is definitely fine. I don't know if I will reapply to any Phase I sites though.

I am actually considering applying to a few of the sites that interviewed me in phase I, but they are ones where I asked for feedback and they said that I was a good candidate and was ranked. Do you think that it is a bad idea? Why do you not want to apply to any phase I sites again?

I am actually considering applying to a few of the sites that interviewed me in phase I, but they are ones where I asked for feedback and they said that I was a good candidate and was ranked. Do you think that it is a bad idea? Why do you not want to apply to any phase I sites again?
I was so surprised and overwhelmed about the Phase I outcome that I didn't contact many people. The two sites I did contact never wrote back. I'm not sure if it's too late to contact people now. I also don't know that any of the sites were really everything I was looking for.... but I guess no site can be, right? However, even though I thought they were good sites for me, maybe they weren't totally.

I was so surprised and overwhelmed about the Phase I outcome that I didn't contact many people. The two sites I did contact never wrote back. I'm not sure if it's too late to contact people now. I also don't know that any of the sites were really everything I was looking for.... but I guess no site can be, right? However, even though I thought they were good sites for me, maybe they weren't totally.

You could probably still email them. I know some sites said they would not offer feedback until after phase ii. I do not know what to make of the sites that didn't get back to us; I also had a few of those.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could probably still email them. I know some sites said they would not offer feedback until after phase ii. I do not know what to make of the sites that didn't get back to us; I also had a few of those.
I"m not sure if it is worth contacting them again if they did not respond. If they do not typically provide feedback, they could at least respond and say that! But on the other hand, I have been thinking recently that it would at least help to know if sites generally thought I was a strong application before attempting to reapply. If we can really trust anything about this process, including whether or not people are being forthright with what they tell us. :bang:

I"m not sure if it is worth contacting them again if they did not respond. If they do not typically provide feedback, they could at least respond and say that! But on the other hand, I have been thinking recently that it would at least help to know if sites generally thought I was a strong application before attempting to reapply. If we can really trust anything about this process, including whether or not people are being forthright with what they tell us. :bang:
Don't assume they didn't respond out of indifference; site supervisors are SO busy at this time of year and emails can get buried. It is worth a polite followup now that the rush of reading apps and decision making is over. You still might not get a response....but you have nothing to lose by inquiring and may learn something invaluable for yourself (or about the sites responsiveness).

Try to keep your heads up, guys. It sucks not matching in phase 2, and the post vacancy can be exhausting as it changes all the time. But that's the thing, it changes ALL THE TIME! I was a second year applicant last year and didn't match in phase one or two, but did find a place through the postmatch vacancies. I noted that toward the end of spring, a few APA spots popped up. You never know what might happen, people drop out of internships for many reasons and a spot opens. I took an APPIC spot, which closes some of the doors I was interested in when I went to grad school, but finishing was more important at that point. Hang in there. It sucks, it's awful, and it's temporary.

Reactions: 3 users
Just applied to my first Post-Vacancy Match position...am I hopeful? Meh, but worse comes to worse I'm getting practice writing ridiculously good cover letters to use for next time around! Also, I feel for everyone who got feedback...or didn't...from sites. Especially feedback like, We really liked you. It just didn't work out. I mean, I know it should make me feel better, and at least it means I know a couple sites already I'll apply to next year I guess.

Just applied to my first Post-Vacancy Match position...am I hopeful? Meh, but worse comes to worse I'm getting practice writing ridiculously good cover letters to use for next time around! Also, I feel for everyone who got feedback...or didn't...from sites. Especially feedback like, We really liked you. It just didn't work out. I mean, I know it should make me feel better, and at least it means I know a couple sites already I'll apply to next year I guess.
Good luck!!!!

Try to keep your heads up, guys. It sucks not matching in phase 2, and the post vacancy can be exhausting as it changes all the time. But that's the thing, it changes ALL THE TIME! I was a second year applicant last year and didn't match in phase one or two, but did find a place through the postmatch vacancies. I noted that toward the end of spring, a few APA spots popped up. You never know what might happen, people drop out of internships for many reasons and a spot opens. I took an APPIC spot, which closes some of the doors I was interested in when I went to grad school, but finishing was more important at that point. Hang in there. It sucks, it's awful, and it's temporary.

Proof that LMK is right... 2 accredited sites (1 APA 1 CPA) are now part of the post-match vacancy list. Forget odds... SOMEONE has to take those slots! I'm hoping that someone is one of you guys. :happy:

I have to say, even just seeing that *one* APA site was exciting. It was like...okay, that really does happen! Even if it's only one spot...

I too was excited to see the one APA site. Then I had to actually figure out how to apply for it.... I downloaded the basic APPI, but of course, it doesn't include the cover letters and essays. When you download the site-specific ones, it does, and I figured out how to eliminate the cover letter at the front, but then each page says the name of the other site that it was originally intended for! Does anyone know if there is anything you can do about that? I ended up sending my basic APPI and a separate document with my CV and essays combined into it. I hope that's okay.

I'm really interested in the CPA site too, but not sure what the ramifications of coming back to the US are if I've done a CPA internship. What does APA do with that?

I too was excited to see the one APA site. Then I had to actually figure out how to apply for it.... I downloaded the basic APPI, but of course, it doesn't include the cover letters and essays. When you download the site-specific ones, it does, and I figured out how to eliminate the cover letter at the front, but then each page says the name of the other site that it was originally intended for! Does anyone know if there is anything you can do about that? I ended up sending my basic APPI and a separate document with my CV and essays combined into it. I hope that's okay.

According to APPIC, we only need to submit a cover letter and CV all copied into one document. I don't think we need to include the APPI. I copies the instructions below. Am I reading it wrong?

PREPARING YOUR INITIAL APPLICATION

Since the AAPI Online service will NOT be used to submit applications, special application preparation and submission instructions have been developed for the Post-Match Vacancy Service. These procedures limit the amount of information that you may submit unless the internship program authorizes you to do otherwise. In other words, the procedures described below for preparing and submitting applications do NOT apply if a site provides different instructions in its vacancy announcement.
Your initial application to internship programs should include only a cover letter and a vita. Additional materials (e.g., your AAPI, letters of reference, etc.) may be submitted only if requested by an internship program.

For each site to which you apply, you should create a single document in your word processor that includes both a cover letter and your vita. Use your name as the document name (e.g., "MarySmith.doc"). Please note that the ".docx" format used by newer versions of Microsoft Word should not be used; instead, please use the older ".doc" format instead.
The cover letter is important, as it is your opportunity to highlight the important aspects of your experiences and background, and to highlight the fit between you and the internship program. Thus, you should write a cover letter that is tailored to each site to which you apply. (Please note that this is different than in past years, when applicants were encouraged to submit "generic" cover letters).
While there is no limit to the length of your cover letter and vita, sites will greatly appreciate your being succinct, and will ask for more information if needed. In other words, don't feel like you need to take all the information from your AAPI and squeeze it into your cover letter and vita!
Be sure to include your contact information somewhere in these materials, particularly phone numbers and e-mail addresses where you can be reached.

According to APPIC, we only need to submit a cover letter and CV all copied into one document. I don't think we need to include the APPI. I copies the instructions below. Am I reading it wrong?

PREPARING YOUR INITIAL APPLICATION

Since the AAPI Online service will NOT be used to submit applications, special application preparation and submission instructions have been developed for the Post-Match Vacancy Service. These procedures limit the amount of information that you may submit unless the internship program authorizes you to do otherwise. In other words, the procedures described below for preparing and submitting applications do NOT apply if a site provides different instructions in its vacancy announcement.
Your initial application to internship programs should include only a cover letter and a vita. Additional materials (e.g., your AAPI, letters of reference, etc.) may be submitted only if requested by an internship program.

For each site to which you apply, you should create a single document in your word processor that includes both a cover letter and your vita. Use your name as the document name (e.g., "MarySmith.doc"). Please note that the ".docx" format used by newer versions of Microsoft Word should not be used; instead, please use the older ".doc" format instead.
The cover letter is important, as it is your opportunity to highlight the important aspects of your experiences and background, and to highlight the fit between you and the internship program. Thus, you should write a cover letter that is tailored to each site to which you apply. (Please note that this is different than in past years, when applicants were encouraged to submit "generic" cover letters).
While there is no limit to the length of your cover letter and vita, sites will greatly appreciate your being succinct, and will ask for more information if needed. In other words, don't feel like you need to take all the information from your AAPI and squeeze it into your cover letter and vita!
Be sure to include your contact information somewhere in these materials, particularly phone numbers and e-mail addresses where you can be reached.

Looks like you are correct. I should have known that there was a formal procedure, but I guess I thought at this point it was rogue and up to the discretion of a site. I had emailed them to see what all they wanted, and they told me cover letter, APPI, letters of recommendation. I then said I wasn't sure how I'd get them the letters of recommendation over email, and then they just told me to send them everything else.

I'm really interested in the CPA site too, but not sure what the ramifications of coming back to the US are if I've done a CPA internship. What does APA do with that?

I wish I could help with this, but I haven't personally known anyone who has taken a CPA-accredited internship. I might consider asking your DCT, or looking at some post-docs that interest you and see if they allow it.

Looks like you are correct. I should have known that there was a formal procedure, but I guess I thought at this point it was rogue and up to the discretion of a site. I had emailed them to see what all they wanted, and they told me cover letter, APPI, letters of recommendation. I then said I wasn't sure how I'd get them the letters of recommendation over email, and then they just told me to send them everything else.

They just emailed me to submit my APPI, so it is probably good that you did. Did you submit your essays? I wonder how they could get our LOR.

It's not really about what APA does with it, it's about what state boards do for licensing and what places like the VA and corrections (which require accredited internships) do. APA has stated that the accreditations are equivalent. I've not heard of anyone applying to a VA site for a job with a CPA internship, so I personally don't have first-hand knowledge of anyone going through the process that way. I'm sure someone must have by now, though.

They just emailed me to submit my APPI, so it is probably good that you did. Did you submit your essays? I wonder how they could get our LOR.
I did submit my essays. They didn't explicitly ask for them, but I guess I'm still thinking of them as part of the APPI. Yeah, they asked me for my LOR, and I wasn't expecting that.... I don't have copies of them directly. The Post-Match Vacancy instructions say that we can either request our letter writers give us copies of them or that we can have them send them to sites. They told me just to worry about the other pieces first. I guess if they're remotely interested in me, they'll contact my letter writers.

It's not really about what APA does with it, it's about what state boards do for licensing and what places like the VA and corrections (which require accredited internships) do. APA has stated that the accreditations are equivalent. I've not heard of anyone applying to a VA site for a job with a CPA internship, so I personally don't have first-hand knowledge of anyone going through the process that way. I'm sure someone must have by now, though.

Hmm, I'm mostly concerned about my school, which requires an APA-accredited internship, and hospital sites. My department chair and DTC haven't known whether or not CPA would really be okay for me to do.

I wish I could help with this, but I haven't personally known anyone who has taken a CPA-accredited internship. I might consider asking your DCT, or looking at some post-docs that interest you and see if they allow it.

My school is not very helpful.

I did submit my essays. They didn't explicitly ask for them, but I guess I'm still thinking of them as part of the APPI. Yeah, they asked me for my LOR, and I wasn't expecting that.... I don't have copies of them directly. The Post-Match Vacancy instructions say that we can either request our letter writers give us copies of them or that we can have them send them to sites. They told me just to worry about the other pieces first. I guess if they're remotely interested in me, they'll contact my letter writers.

That is what I am figuring too since I do not have copies of my letters.

My school is not very helpful.

AttachmentGal, I'm really sorry to hear this. Your program should rally around you during this time and be willing to provide you with whatever guidance you need. Did you do any externships at places that have post-docs? I might also consider reaching out to your former supervisor(s) at those sites and ask if they would consider an applicant with a CPA-accredited internship. This is actually what I did when considering taking a non-APA internship.

I had e-mailed my letter writers after I didn't match in Phase II to please keep my letters on hand since I may need them to quickly send copies out during Post-Match or for an externship opportunity. I just e-mailed all of them after I had applied for the position and asked them to e-mail the letters directly to the person collecting the application materials. I'm guessing that should work, and at the same time indicates to the site that I did not read/change the letter at all before sending it out.

Last year for Post-Vacancy I asked my 3 reference writers if they felt comfortable sending me a signed pdf copy of their letters in order for me to use during Post-Vacancy. They were all very happy to do that and so I was able to e-mail pdf copies directly to sites, which made it much more convenient.

I know that a non-accredited internship site is not ideal, but I decided to just go for it. In the last two weeks I have applied to 15 places. I had two interviews last week and another one to occur today. I am hesitant to post this here, but I figured it might give some hope as well maybe? I just got an internship offer to an APPIC member site, and I am excited! I am aware of what doors this option may close to me, but my matching options in Phase II were all APPIC members non-accredited, so I had accepted this option a while back. I wish everyone here the best. It has been such a journey, and I have appreciated the advice and support I have found here. Thank you!

Reactions: 8 users
I know that a non-accredited internship site is not ideal, but I decided to just go for it. In the last two weeks I have applied to 15 places. I had two interviews last week and another one to occur today. I am hesitant to post this here, but I figured it might give some hope as well maybe? I just got an internship offer to an APPIC member site, and I am excited! I am aware of what doors this option may close to me, but my matching options in Phase II were all APPIC members non-accredited, so I had accepted this option a while back. I wish everyone here the best. It has been such a journey, and I have appreciated the advice and support I have found here. Thank you!

Congrats! I keep going back and forth about whether to apply to unaccredited positions and I haven't made any move to do so yet. I am glad that you are able to move forward from this and hope that you have a good experience on internship!

Congrats! I keep going back and forth about whether to apply to unaccredited positions and I haven't made any move to do so yet. I am glad that you are able to move forward from this and hope that you have a good experience on internship!
Thank you! I had family considerations that, in the end, placed me on this path. Thanks so much

I had found this on the APA psycCareers website, I believe the posting ran March 1 - April 1, as of April 5 they were still reviewing applications:

NEW INTERNSHIPS AVAILABLE 2014-2015 through the Nevada Psychological Association Training Consortium (NPATC). We are in the third year of offering pre-doctoral internships in Clinical Psychology. NPATC is committed to meeting all standards of an APA-accredited program and plans to actively pursue accreditation. Applicants from APA-accredited doctoral programs and programs seeking accreditation will be considered. Please visit our Website at www.nvpsychology.org/training-consortium. If interested, mail APPIC Match application and supporting documents to, including a writing sample to one of our Training Directors: Gary Lenkeit, 1820 E. Warm Springs Rd, Suite 115, Las Vegas, NV 89119, e-mail to [email protected] or Nicole Cavenaugh, 874 American Pacific Drive, Henderson, NV 89014 or [email protected].

NOTES:

4 openings.

Congratulations, Aussiejd! I've known many people who have taken that path. To be honest, I think it closes very few doors, at the end of the day. Best of luck to you!

While it may not seem like it right now, you still have time to ponder on that. An APPIC site closes some doors, and sometimes moving on and finishing the dang degree is more important. You're the only one that can figure out if the cons outweigh the pros...and you still have time. Last year some APA spots opened up late in summer.

I hope more APA sites show up. I applied to one and haven't heard a peep.

Congratulations, Aussiejd! I've known many people who have taken that path. To be honest, I think it closes very few doors, at the end of the day. Best of luck to you!
Very few doors? It closes off the door to the largest employer of psychologists for one!!! Be careful with the advice you give, this is someone's career we're talking about.

I hope more APA sites show up. I applied to one and haven't heard a peep.
Indeed. While seeing that site posted made me hopeful, it's hard to forget there are hundreds of people who didn't match, and many of them require an accredited site. I would hope at least some of them wouldn't have to go back to the match again next year.

Very few doors? It closes off the door to the largest employer of psychologists for one!!! Be careful with the advice you give, this is someone's career we're talking about.

If you had read the previous posts by this particular member, you would have seen that the decision to take the non-APA accredited internship had already been made. I trust that this person made this decision in a knowledgeable, thoughtful, and cautious manner and reviewed all options. It is not my job to publicly decry others' decisions, because we all have our own individual paths in front of us. Instead, I support them while sharing my own experiences and observations. It is fair to assume that, if this person is taking a non-APA internship, he or she fully grasps that working in a VA is not an option for future employment. I would bet anything that every poster on this thread is clear on that. It is not my right to question someone else's decision to shut that particular door, nor is it yours.

Before you insinuate that I do not care about the careers of others, or that other posters have not made their decisions in a cautious and rational way, please consider that everyone on this thread is following different paths. They need support, not judgment.

It's not only the VA, there are other employers who won't hire someone with a non-APA accred internship. And, rather than give false information to those who have not yet made that step, I prefer to provide accurate information for the betterment of our profession. This field needs us to support the proper professional safeguards and standards of training, not the opposite.

If you had read the previous posts by this particular member, you would have seen that the decision to take the non-APA accredited internship had already been made. I trust that this person made this decision in a knowledgeable, thoughtful, and cautious manner and reviewed all options. It is not my job to publicly decry others' decisions, because we all have our own individual paths in front of us. Instead, I support them while sharing my own experiences and observations. It is fair to assume that, if this person is taking a non-APA internship, he or she fully grasps that working in a VA is not an option for future employment. I would bet anything that every poster on this thread is clear on that. It is not my right to question someone else's decision to shut that particular door, nor is it yours.

Before you insinuate that I do not care about the careers of others, or that other posters have not made their decisions in a cautious and rational way, please consider that everyone on this thread is following different paths. They need support, not judgment.

While I emphathize with it, I dont think we should be expected to "support" it. It shouldnt really be an option in the first place...

It's not only the VA, there are other employers who won't hire someone with a non-APA accred internship. And, rather than give false information to those who have not yet made that step, I prefer to provide accurate information for the betterment of our profession. This field needs us to support the proper professional safeguards and standards of training, not the opposite.

I agree. Personally, I am a peds person, and as such, the VA is basically a non-option for me anyway (unless I decide to switch career trajectories, which doesn't seem likely at this point). The idea of a VA sounds great to me, but there just aren't enough peds veterans in this country.

In my postdoc searches, though, most major hospitals required or strongly preferred an APA-accredited internship. Even if it doesn't officially close those doors (like it does with the VA), it's hard to compete with people coming from stronger backgrounds and more experience.

The imbalance is terrible, but getting rid of training standards isn't the solution. I see it as comparable to the law school situation- they let anyone with a checkbook graduate from law school, and then people have a J.D. and can't even find an unpaid internship because the market is so flooded. I don't want to see that happen to psychology.

I agree. Personally, I am a peds person, and as such, the VA is basically a non-option for me anyway (unless I decide to switch career trajectories, which doesn't seem likely at this point). The idea of a VA sounds great to me, but there just aren't enough peds veterans in this country.

In my postdoc searches, though, most major hospitals required or strongly preferred an APA-accredited internship. Even if it doesn't officially close those doors (like it does with the VA), it's hard to compete with people coming from stronger backgrounds and more experience.

The imbalance is terrible, but getting rid of training standards isn't the solution. I see it as comparable to the law school situation- they let anyone with a checkbook graduate from law school, and then people have a J.D. and can't even find an unpaid internship because the market is so flooded. I don't want to see that happen to psychology.
Getting rid of training standards isn't a solution,but until the imbalance is resolved, devaluing those who feel forced to choose a non-APA internship or APPIC internships that cannot afford to become APA-accredited also has damaging effects on colleagues and organizations that are in this muddle with us. Graduate students can make an informed choice and take the non-APA path and, while they may face hurdles, don't deserve apriori judgement and are not doomed. I think it is possible to advise the APA path without invalidating the person (or internship) that is on the road less traveled. And we need teamwork of all to get APA accreditation more accessible and affordable.

Getting rid of training standards isn't a solution,but until the imbalance is resolved, devaluing those who feel forced to choose a non-APA internship or APPIC internships that cannot afford to become APA-accredited also has damaging effects on colleagues and organizations that are in this muddle with us. Graduate students can make an informed choice and take the non-APA path and, while they may face hurdles, don't deserve apriori judgement and are not doomed. I think it is possible to advise the APA path without invalidating the person (or internship) that is on the road less traveled. And we need teamwork of all to get APA accreditation more accessible and affordable.

I agree with this. I have been very upfront and honest with anyone who has asked about my recommendation to take an APA-accredited internship. It may seem easy to stick by a "standard of training" if one has already matched to an APA-accredited internship and has moved on with one's career, but what of those who have been stalled in theirs? We don't have the resources to stick stubbornly to the "everyone must have an APA-accredited internship" standard. Why completely undermine each other's self-confidence when this is the case?

I
I agree with this. I have been very upfront and honest with anyone who has asked about my recommendation to take an APA-accredited internship. It may seem easy to stick by a "standard of training" if one has already matched to an APA-accredited internship and has moved on with one's career, but what of those who have been stalled in theirs? We don't have the resources to stick stubbornly to the "everyone must have an APA-accredited internship" standard. Why completely undermine each other's self-confidence when this is the case?

I think this is drama talk, as no such thing has happened. People have pointed out the major limitations this choice causes, as well as how the continued existence of unaccredited traing programs undermines the status and quality if the profession. I don't think anyone is stupid or evil fir this choice. As much as I emphasize with the situation, I certainly can't support or approve of the choice either.