2013-14 Anesthesiology Applications & Interviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MD applicant here, good steps but 2nd quartile (my class is insanely smart!) and no AOA. I haven't heard any rejections yet. Applied to 26 programs, 22 invites, nothing but crickets from 4 programs. Wondering if I will ever hear anything or just silent rejection town? Don't really care either way though.
You are likely not to hear anything. I'm still waiting on rejections from a handful of places that I applied to last year! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Recently interviewed at St Barnabas.

Last edited:
You are likely not to hear anything. I'm still waiting on rejections from a handful of places that I applied to last year! :D

I'm gonna start sending Emails of interest so that I can garner some sort of response - rejection or not.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey everyone! Just wondering if anyone has heard from Maimonides today?

I actually got an invite Friday night around 9 30 pm

also, did anybody hear anything from albany?
I wonder if Maimonides is sending the invites at the same time? I'm probably screwed

I wonder if Maimonides is sending the invites at the same time? I'm probably screwed
Got an invite from Maimonides late last night. They were offering three dates - 11/18, 12/3, and 12/9.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invites from Maimonides, Maryland and UCLA-Harbor. From those 3 I'll most likely only attend Maryland and withdraw from the others. I cancelled St. Barnabas as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

MD applicant here, good steps but 2nd quartile (my class is insanely smart!) and no AOA. I haven't heard any rejections yet. Applied to 26 programs, 22 invites, nothing but crickets from 4 programs. Wondering if I will ever hear anything or just silent rejection town? Don't really care either way though.

In case this is helpful to future years. Also MD applicant. Above average steps. No idea about class rank but probably middle 50%. Not AOA. Applied to 35 anesthesia, then panicked and upped it to 48 after a couple weeks. 31 invites, 6 rejections, 3 wait lists, 8 no response (mostly from the late added programs). Planning to go to 18-20 interviews. Only have 5 prelim interviews and think that might be it! Hoping to do categorical, but will likely rank by programs rather than all cat first then advanced.

Has anyone interviewed at U. Kentucky? Looking to book my flight over the weekend and realized that there's no interview end time on my invite. Need to know asap! Thanks in advance!

Has anyone interviewed at the University of Washington yet? I am trying to figure out what time the pre-interview dinner starts the night before and when the interview day ends so I can buy my plane ticket. Also would appreciate any hotel recommendations close to the hospital that you guys chose. Thanks.

For UW on my date the dinner is at 6pm the night before (and dinner far away from med center FYI). Hotel I'm staying at Hotel Deca in the U District. Super cute boutique hotel and walking distance to the interview.

If you need to get around (to get to dinner etc) use Über. Cheaper than cabs and easier than the rail if you don't know where you're going. Seattle has ÜberX which is really cheap and Eco friendly. Here's their link: http://www.uber.com/invite/iyp9a Free $10 credit for your first ride if you use that link to sign up.

Don't know what time the interview day ends (mine is this week!)

Hopkins, Northwestern: Cancelled or will cancel +/- 3 days (trying to stay anonymous)

I just want you guys to know I wish you all the luck and I can't wait till I'm able to post in this thread also and get into a program, You guys are great and I hope to work with you someday.

Got off the OHSU wait list. Very excited.

Also, this thread is quiet! Have other people been getting new interview offers? I'm canceling a few more in the couple of days.

Also, this thread is quiet! Have other people been getting new interview offers? I'm canceling a few more in the couple of days.

I know, it's been so quiet! I'll be cancelling two this week. They're both highly regarded programs, the fact that I know they won't make my top five based on geography considerations alone means that I'd rather someone else have them (I'm trying to take the advice of some of the senior SDN'ers [Blade, etc] on here to not get too caught up in the name of a program). I hope that every applicant ends up at their first choice, and may my interview slots go to someone with a true passion for these programs.

I know, it's been so quiet! I'll be cancelling two this week. They're both highly regarded programs, the fact that I know they won't make my top five based on geography considerations alone means that I'd rather someone else have them (I'm trying to take the advice of some of the senior SDN'ers [Blade, etc] on here to not get too caught up in the name of a program). I hope that every applicant ends up at their first choice, and may my interview slots go to someone with a true passion for these programs.
Maybe these interview slots be somewhere in the Tri-State area!

(didn't want to create a new thread altogether...)​
but is anyone starting to get emails/phone calls/snail mail from programs at which they've interviewed? curious if the "courting" has officially begun already :kiss: (and there are too many new emoticons :yeahright: )

(didn't want to create a new thread altogether...)​
but is anyone starting to get emails/phone calls/snail mail from programs at which they've interviewed? curious if the "courting" has officially begun already :kiss: (and there are too many new emoticons :yeahright: )
I got an email from a program the day after I interviewed. It was specific to me and they said that they want me to match there. Based on what I read online about these "love letters", I'd take it with a grain of salt. I'm going to revisit and play the game though.

How does everyone feel about starting an interview review thread? The psychiatry forum has one going for their interview season. Their format looks like this:

1. Communication
2. Accommodation & Food
3. Interview Day (Schedule, Type Of Interview, Unusual Questions, Experiences)
4. Program Overview
5. Faculty
6. Location & Lifestyle
7. Salary & Benefits
8. Program Strengths
9. Potential Weaknesses

I could post them anonymously if people want to PM me their reviews

Email, phone calls, etc used for scheduling as well as any post interview communication

Has anyone gotten rejection letters from UCSF? According to their website, they sent all their letters(both acceptance and rejections) out already but I have yet to get any correspondence from them and 1% of me wants to hope that I still have a chance. :/

Has anyone gotten rejection letters from UCSF? According to their website, they sent all their letters(both acceptance and rejections) out already but I have yet to get any correspondence from them and 1% of me wants to hope that I still have a chance. :/
Sounds like a ripe time to send them a little love letter ;)

Does anyone know if Rush provides hotel room? I have an interview in January but they did not mention anything about room.

Thanks

no hotel, at least last year they didnt

For anyone who has interviewed at Brigham and Women's --what is the reception at the end of day like? I realized I was cutting it too close with my return flight to leave at 5:30 and will either need to change my flight to the next day or miss the reception. What exactly is the reception? Is it something I could leave midway through? Thanks in advance! Excited for my interviews to be over after this one.

***never mind as I changed my travel plans but still would be interested in what the reception is like****

Last edited:
***never mind as I changed my travel plans but still would be interested in what the reception is like****

I liked the BWH reception. It was pretty relaxed--a bunch of decent food and good turnout from the residents and attendings. It's just a low-stakes place to chat and learn what kind of people you'd be working with. I'd try to go to at least some of it, but you don't have to spend the whole 1-1.5 hours.

Anyone get any last minute invites this month so far?

Last edited: