2012 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
this HAS to be our week people! keep the hope alive! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Well my fist choice school which was nearly positive I was going to be their student this year, just informed me that their first offered student accepted. So bummed!!!!!! The good news is they encouraged me to re-apply. They already thought I was going to be the student because this other person took so long. Soooooo I am still not sure about Yeshiva for those who are asking. Do I re-apply for the R1 school or take the sure thing.....

I would re-apply. If you were able to get that far this year, with a bit more research experience you'll likely be a shoe-in, especially if the POI at your top choice was quite keen on you. If that is really your top choice, I would e-mail the POI and make sure they are planning on accepting a student for fall 2013. Also, although I say shoe-in, given how competitive these programs are, there is always some risk.

I turned down a funded program last year because I knew I would always compare it to where I really wanted to go. I have also seen other people post that they turned down offers to apply again because they knew they wouldn't feel satisfied if they settled.

YMMV.

Members don't see this ad :)
I just received an email - Ferkauf has reached it target! No more acceptances off the waitlist. I just can't believe it.

I just received an email - Ferkauf has reached it target! No more acceptances off the waitlist. I just can't believe it.

I'm so sorry. Keep your head up! :)

There is no hope for me, rlw23. Yeshiva was all I had this year.

There is no hope for me, rlw23. Yeshiva was all I had this year.

There is still hope. Always next year, always next year. It has to be worth it.

I'm pretty old for this game (32) and to invest 7 years or more years in this...I just don't know. I'm pretty let down by the absolute randomness of the clin.psych process.
Why all this competition?

I'm pretty old for this game (32) and to invest 7 years or more years in this...I just don't know. I'm pretty let down by the absolute randomness of the clin.psych process.

I hear ya, I really do. The process is complete madness. Probably has something to do with the economy..

Today was a very eventful day for me. Three schools let me know about decisions regarding their waitlist, two ended up being rejections though but most important: I was accepted to what has been my top choice since the start of this process. I'm SO excited. I will be turning down the offer I have been holding for a while now tomorrow (I also turned down another offer last week, but I don't think that helped anybody because nobody was on the waitlist for that lab, which is why I haven't really mentioned it). It seems like most schools are able to wrap up now (well, they kind of have to I guess since it's the last week before the 15th). I have heard back from all schools I was initially waitlisted at now. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Because psychology is a popular undergraduate major in general. Then you have the multitude of folks convinced they're going to be the next FBI criminal behavioral analyst and they are going to accomplish this by pursuing psych further. Then you have all the folks who only want to be psychologists because of a desire "to help people," so this was it. Then you have the folks who truly do have some idea of what the field entails realistically, but they have unrealistic expectations regarding their own abilities. So although many of those students performed poorly while in school and apply with no/minimal research experience, abysmal scores, restrict themselves to certain geographical locations, etc. (you get the point, yes?), some will still manage to land interviews... and they are now your competition for better or worse.

This obviously does not take into consideration the vast number of folks who apply each & every year with stellar stats/scores, experience, etc.

Sooo, there's a sh*tload of people out there = buttloads of competition for everyone to "enjoy." :thumbup:

Reactions: 1 user
Today was a very eventful day for me. Three schools let me know about decisions regarding their waitlist, two ended up being rejections though but most important: I was accepted to what have been my top choice since the start of this process. I'm SO excited. I will be turning down the offer I have been holding for a while now tomorrow (I also turned down another offer last week, but I don't think that helped anybody because nobody was on the waitlist for that lab, which is why I haven't really mentioned it). It seems like most schools are able to wrap up now (well, they kind of have to I guess since it's the last week before the 15th). I have heard back from all schools I was initially waitlisted at now. :)

turn down university of wisconsin-milwaukee by chance!?! lol
Congrats! What happened to you is what I am hoping happens to me!

Members don't see this ad :)
turn down university of wisconsin-milwaukee by chance!?! lol
Congrats! What happened to you is what I am hoping happens to me!

Unfortunately not, but let's cross our fingers for a domino effect. :)

My advice to you is to seek out the more mature programs. There certainly is a subset of older (30-something+) applicants who will never be considered at standard clinical psychology PhD programs, because they want the young folks without any baggage or experience. BUT...there are programs who really do value mature applicants, so search there. I did that and I really think it was a great thing, because I know I'll be happy being around other like-minded people (even if I will get my PhD when I'm 40), not lower/mid-20-somethings fresh out of college and living with their parents.

As if this process wasn't stressful enough, the professor I've been in contact with at the program I'm waitlisted at is out of town for this entire week. She called me Monday of last week and told me to check in with her via email toward the beginning of this week to see if there had been any change in my status. She told me that she would be out of town, which is why she wanted me to email instead of call. However, when I sent the email on Tuesday, I received an automated "out of office" response, and haven't gotten any actual reply yet. I'm wondering if this is just because she has no news, or because she is not checking her email during her vacation time. I'm nervous it's the latter and it will be too late before I know my status, as she doesn't return until Monday, the 16th. Sigh. I know I am probably stressing myself out for no reason, as the program is fully aware of the deadline on the 15th and wants to fill their cohort, but I'm having a hard time dealing regardless. A small (obsessive) part of me wants to contact another professor on the admissions committee if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow afternoon just to be sure (this is not a mentor match program). The sane part of me is trying to talk me out of doing this. ;)

This process is so frustrating. I was waitlisted at all three of the schools I interviewed for (high alternate at all 3). My top choice has already filled their spots and I'm still waiting to hear from the last two, but I'm assuming they'll be rejections at this point. Not looking forward to going through all this again next year or after getting my Masters. Sorry y'all, I needed to vent to other people who understand.

With the April 15th deadline on Sunday, do people have to let schools know by Sunday if they accept an offer? Or, do they have to notify by today or Monday? Just curious what happens when the 15th falls on a weekend...

Then you can reply by 16th April. I dont know about the time though.

As if this process wasn't stressful enough, the professor I've been in contact with at the program I'm waitlisted at is out of town for this entire week. She called me Monday of last week and told me to check in with her via email toward the beginning of this week to see if there had been any change in my status. She told me that she would be out of town, which is why she wanted me to email instead of call. However, when I sent the email on Tuesday, I received an automated "out of office" response, and haven't gotten any actual reply yet. I'm wondering if this is just because she has no news, or because she is not checking her email during her vacation time. I'm nervous it's the latter and it will be too late before I know my status, as she doesn't return until Monday, the 16th. Sigh. I know I am probably stressing myself out for no reason, as the program is fully aware of the deadline on the 15th and wants to fill their cohort, but I'm having a hard time dealing regardless. A small (obsessive) part of me wants to contact another professor on the admissions committee if I haven't heard anything by tomorrow afternoon just to be sure (this is not a mentor match program). The sane part of me is trying to talk me out of doing this. ;)

I don't think it's inappropriate for you to email someone on the admissions committee or another professor, especially if you've had some communication with them previously. I feel like a lot of people I've seen are very hesitant to contact professors for fear of bothering them, but I've been very upfront with checking in with professors if I hadn't heard from them and I have had no complaints, ignored emails, or signs of annoyance. I would just sent a 2-4 sentence email explaining the situation - eg, "Dear Prof. X, I was told to email Dr. Y earlier this week regarding any updates to my admission status. She's been difficult to touch base with as she's out of town, and since the April 15 deadline is this weekend, I was hoping you might have an idea of where I stand with University of ABC, or when I might expect to hear more. I appreciate all your help!" Or some such.

Of course, your results may vary, but I personally see nothing wrong with staying on top of things and making sure you have a full understanding of the process, as long as you keep your communication concise and polite.

I don't think it's inappropriate for you to email someone on the admissions committee or another professor, especially if you've had some communication with them previously. I feel like a lot of people I've seen are very hesitant to contact professors for fear of bothering them, but I've been very upfront with checking in with professors if I hadn't heard from them and I have had no complaints, ignored emails, or signs of annoyance. I would just sent a 2-4 sentence email explaining the situation - eg, "Dear Prof. X, I was told to email Dr. Y earlier this week regarding any updates to my admission status. She's been difficult to touch base with as she's out of town, and since the April 15 deadline is this weekend, I was hoping you might have an idea of where I stand with University of ABC, or when I might expect to hear more. I appreciate all your help!" Or some such.

Of course, your results may vary, but I personally see nothing wrong with staying on top of things and making sure you have a full understanding of the process, as long as you keep your communication concise and polite.

Thank you for the encouragement and advice! I gave in and sent an email to another professor that I spoke with a lot on interview day. What you said about contacting professors makes a lot of sense. And besides, a program whose faculty members would be bothered by being contacted by students is probably not the program for me, anyway. That's not the impression I got from them. Here's hoping we all get some news, one way or the other!

Thank you for the encouragement and advice! I gave in and sent an email to another professor that I spoke with a lot on interview day. What you said about contacting professors makes a lot of sense. And besides, a program whose faculty members would be bothered by being contacted by students is probably not the program for me, anyway. That's not the impression I got from them. Here's hoping we all get some news, one way or the other!

Haha, that's how I feel too - if they don't want me to email them, why would I want to go there? I'm glad you emailed them - let us know if you hear back!

Haha, that's how I feel too - if they don't want me to email them, why would I want to go there? I'm glad you emailed them - let us know if you hear back!

I did hear back! Basically, there's still no final word, but it's not looking good. Only one person left that hasn't officially accepted and that person is likely to accept. In the meantime, the program I have an offer from contacted me to offer me an assistantship, so I went ahead and officially accepted that offer. Feels so good to be settled somewhere! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Good luck everybody still waiting on news this weekend. :xf::luck:

Let's hope there are some last minute movement on all those waitlists!

I am wait listed at LIU and I am also wait listed at another school which plans to contact me tomorrow morning either way. Should an offer be made from the other school, they would like my reply tomorrow since it is the 15th. However, I feel this might be tricky if I don't know where I stand with LIU. My first choice probably depends on the funding and cost of each program - neither is fully funded but both do offer some partial fellowships / tuition remission. This leaves me with questions:

- Are schools allowed to make an offer and require a reply within the day due to the April 15 APA deadline?

- Does anyone have an idea of when LIU Brooklyn PhD plans to notify applicants who are wait listed? The letter I received and my correspondence with the professor managing this suggested in the days leading up to the 15th. However, I have not heard anything so I phoned on Friday, left a voicemail, but no return call or email as of yet.
Has anyone been accepted at LIU off the wait list?

- If a school makes an offer, will I receive information about my funding at the same time?

I did hear back! Basically, there's still no final word, but it's not looking good. Only one person left that hasn't officially accepted and that person is likely to accept. In the meantime, the program I have an offer from contacted me to offer me an assistantship, so I went ahead and officially accepted that offer. Feels so good to be settled somewhere! Good luck to all those still waiting!

Congratulations - it's always good to have made the decision one way or another. :)

Happy 4/16 everyone! I'm sure we're all antsy to find out where we stand, but has anyone heard anything- good or bad from Yeshiva U's School-Clinical Child PsyD program since being informed about being on the waitlist?

Feel free to PM me, and GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!!

Three weeks ago I was told that I am first on the waitlist. However I haven't heard from the professor since. I had assumed she would let me know either way. Should I interpret this silence as a rejection? Is it possible that they are still trying to decide who has or hasn't accepted? Clearly I am trying to analyze all possibilities! Does anyone have a similar experience?

Three weeks ago I was told that I am first on the waitlist. However I haven't heard from the professor since. I had assumed she would let me know either way. Should I interpret this silence as a rejection? Is it possible that they are still trying to decide who has or hasn't accepted? Clearly I am trying to analyze all possibilities! Does anyone have a similar experience?

I'm in the same position. I've interpreted as rejection, but I could just be being a downer.

I would absolutely recommend contacting them to verify. You do not want to assume anything, they may be thinking they are waiting to hear from you.

Has anyone heard anything from DePaul regarding waitlist status?

I got a rejection letter in the mail yesterday after being on their wait-list. I live in Milwaukee, so it probably only took a day to get to me....

I got a rejection letter in the mail yesterday after being on their wait-list. I live in Milwaukee, so it probably only took a day to get to me....

I received a letter as well, but it said I was rejected from the MA program... odd, since I applied to the child clinical track in the PhD program...

I received a letter as well, but it said I was rejected from the MA program... odd, since I applied to the child clinical track in the PhD program...

Mine said for the MA program too. They messed up. It was for the clinical-community phd.

I'm on the waitlist for a PsyD program (i'm on tier 1 but they don't rank within tiers) and they said that offers can still be made up til around beginning of August. But since the 15th was the big day and I haven't heard anything back, are there any pros in contacting them to ask what my chances are realistically? or will it just annoy them and won't benefit me at all? Thanks

Because psychology is a popular undergraduate major in general. Then you have the multitude of folks convinced they're going to be the next FBI criminal behavioral analyst and they are going to accomplish this by pursuing psych further. Then you have all the folks who only want to be psychologists because of a desire "to help people," so this was it. Then you have the folks who truly do have some idea of what the field entails realistically, but they have unrealistic expectations regarding their own abilities. So although many of those students performed poorly while in school and apply with no/minimal research experience, abysmal scores, restrict themselves to certain geographical locations, etc. (you get the point, yes?), some will still manage to land interviews... and they are now your competition for better or worse.

This obviously does not take into consideration the vast number of folks who apply each & every year with stellar stats/scores, experience, etc.

Sooo, there's a sh*tload of people out there = buttloads of competition for everyone to "enjoy." :thumbup:
I literally could not agree more. Good to know someone else feels the same.