2012-2013 Radiology Applicants Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
holy spirit of the whomever you believe!, I was hoping for a measly 10. You take the award on being over-accomplished my friend. :thumbup:

I have 10 rads interviews being the range where I will start turning them down if they aren't as high on my list, I wont bend over backwards to get to them. I've lucked out in that many of the ones I have now were scheduled close together and still have lots of open space on my calendar. I wasn't planning on as many TYs..maybe 4 or 5.

Members don't see this ad.

Based on the NRMP charting outcomes once you get in the 8 or 9 range you are almost guaranteed to match. From what I understand 80% of applicants match in their top 3 ranks. Not sure if this holds true for more competitive programs.

Well, that depends. At my school 5/5 ppl matched in their top 3 this past year. On SDN, I would say it was around 80%, although some ppl going for competitive programs dropped pretty far; that being said, when your 8th rank is a top 5 program... #firstworldproblems

I have 10 rads interviews being the range where I will start turning them down if they aren't as high on my list, I wont bend over backwards to get to them. I've lucked out in that many of the ones I have now were scheduled close together and still have lots of open space on my calendar. I wasn't planning on as many TYs..maybe 4 or 5.

6 is probably a better # for TYs; they're more competitive than rads programs that aren't top 5 or in CA.

Members don't see this ad :)
lol @ "#firstworldproblems"...pretty much the reason why I'm not freaking out about having 1/2 as many invites as other applicants in my school. Life could be worse.

Btw, my PD says 9 is the magic number to match somewhere. I definitely do not want to go on 15 or more interview. Don't want to dilute my interviews and show up not as prepared as the others if I feel rushed to have to go somewhere else soon. 12 rads interviews and 8 prelim are enough for me and I'd be happy.

sitting on 3 rads and 4 TY/prelim interviews.... wishing it would pick up. been quiet for a while.

sitting on 3 rads and 4 TY/prelim interviews.... wishing it would pick up. been quiet for a while.

Been really quiet past week. Totals 4 rads (+1 questionable) 0 TY/Prelims (scary but most likely going to do a prelim/TY at my school)

I hope these next two weeks and a few more radiology. :xf:

I can only hope more places start offering soon. Im sure they will I have heard thru the grapevine that later october and early november is the tail end of interview offers. That gives us plenty of time. I currently have 6 Rads interviews and 2 TY/IM Prelim interviews.

I can only hope more places start offering soon. Im sure they will I have heard thru the grapevine that later october and early november is the tail end of interview offers. That gives us plenty of time. I currently have 6 Rads interviews and 2 TY/IM Prelim interviews.

I doubt that; last year I got interview offers in January; I think it'll prolly go through the week after RSNA at the very earliest.

6 is probably a better # for TYs; they're more competitive than rads programs that aren't top 5 or in CA.

Yea, 4 of the programs I have interviews at so far are categorical. If I get the extra interviews and can go on them, then I will. I'm not too worried about it though. The worst that happens is that I work hard for a year, but as long as I get to set aside 45 minutes to an hour 3-4x per week to lift, I'm pretty indifferent.

The MSPE being released a month earlier is most likely the reason for the faster interviews. Last year, if released in November then they didn't really have any incentive with RSNA on the horizon to offer interviews earlier. I'm sure there will be a consistent trickle of late interviews due to cancellations and what not, but I'd be surprised if most programs weren't booked out by early December.

Yea, 4 of the programs I have interviews at so far are categorical. If I get the extra interviews and can go on them, then I will. I'm not too worried about it though. The worst that happens is that I work hard for a year, but as long as I get to set aside 45 minutes to an hour 3-4x per week to lift, I'm pretty indifferent.

I don't think you fully comprehend the difference between a TY and a prelim (and I didn't, as a medical student, either). I'd take a look at GWDS's post about this in the clinical rotations forum.

Has anyone had their Penn interview date confirmed?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think you fully comprehend the difference between a TY and a prelim (and I didn't, as a medical student, either). I'd take a look at GWDS's post about this in the clinical rotations forum.

Completely miserable with excessive months of floor that counts against GME funding versus a more flexible schedule with a good mix of surgery/medicine, generally better hours, more money and fewer floor months that doesn't count against GME funding? :p

I'm not volunteering myself out of some delusion that it will help me. If an interview for a rads program is the same day as a TY interview, I will take the place I will spend more time with in the end....that's all. I'm most likely going to go on more than that. ;)

Last edited:
Completely miserable with excessive months of floor that counts against GME funding versus a more flexible schedule with a good mix of surgery/medicine, generally better hours, more money and fewer floor months that doesn't count against GME funding? :p

I'm not volunteering myself out of some delusion that it will help me. If an interview for a rads program is the same day as a TY interview, I will take the place I will spend more time with in the end....that's all. I'm most likely going to go on more than that. ;)

Still not getting it, oh well, you will know what I mean in a year :)

Has anyone had their Penn interview date confirmed?

No, still waiting. Looks like they sent out quite a few (perhaps all?) offers at once (90+ email addresses) so I imagine they are sorting through everything to give everyone one of their top 3 dates. Just a guess though.

No, still waiting. Looks like they sent out quite a few (perhaps all?) offers at once (90+ email addresses) so I imagine they are sorting through everything to give everyone one of their top 3 dates. Just a guess though.

Cool, thanks. Just wanted to make sure I didn't get lost.

Still not getting it, oh well, you will know what I mean in a year :)

My understanding is that a general rule of thumb is that TY is easier and thus more desirable than prelim medicine. However, I have also heard that prelim medicine programs at small (ie very small) community hospitals with a lot of elective time can be "Cush" as well, and in these cases as or even more desirable than some TYs especially if one takes into account the mandatory surgery time required in many TYs. Am I missing something? Is there something more fundamentally distinct about a TY? Thanks.

So, apparently someone on aunt minnie posted an invite from Hopkins. Wow this is early if it is true. Who knows with so many teenagers on these forums.

So, apparently someone on aunt minnie posted an invite from Hopkins. Wow this is early if it is true. Who knows with so many teenagers on these forums.

It is earlier than last year but most programs have been sending out invites earlier this year. Last year they invited on 11/2.

I saw some folks got rejected from Pitt today...anyone not hear anything at all from them? I'm pretty interested in their program but haven't heard anything.

I got JHU. It's legit.

It is earlier than last year but most programs have been sending out invites earlier this year. Last year they invited on 11/2.

I saw some folks got rejected from Pitt today...anyone not hear anything at all from them? I'm pretty interested in their program but haven't heard anything.
Long time lurker...I can also confirm JHU. They didn't give dates; they're requesting you email them.

In regards to UPMC, I also haven't heard anything, and am interested in the program. Hopefully we'll hear something soon...

Does anyone know how much movement there typically is from waitlists? Haven't heard from a few programs that have sent rejections and interviews and was wondering what my chances are for hearing from them eventually. Assuming I'm waitlisted at these places. Thanks!

Does anyone know how much movement there typically is from waitlists? Haven't heard from a few programs that have sent rejections and interviews and was wondering what my chances are for hearing from them eventually. Assuming I'm waitlisted at these places. Thanks!

If you're waitlisted, they'll tell you. Not hearing either means you have a shot or are silently rejected.

Does anyone know if Northwestern invites so far were specific to home/rotation students or was it their first main wave?

Anyone else get an email from Yale's prelim medicine regarding interview coordination with Yale radiology? Not sure what to make of it since I haven't heard anything from their radiology department.

Last edited:
I received an email from Yale's prelim internal medicine program saying that if it's all right with me, "we will see you on your interview day with Yale radiology." I haven't heard anything from Yale radiology.

Has anyone else applied to both the prelim and radiology at Yale and gotten this email? Wondering if this is something they just send to everyone who applies to both.

received the same thing and wondered the same thing

Anyone else get an email from Yale's prelim medicine regarding interview coordination with Yale radiology? Not sure what to make of it since I haven't heard anything from their radiology department.
sounds like you should get a yale invite soon

sounds like you should get a yale invite soon

Well, Vandy prelim emailed me the same thing, but their rads program rejected me a week later. Kinda upset to miss out on a prelim program because of that...those have been hard to come by for me.

Well, Vandy prelim emailed me the same thing, but their rads program rejected me a week later. Kinda upset to miss out on a prelim program because of that...those have been hard to come by for me.
sorry to hear. that's kind of a douchey thing to do by them though. i think the UAB multiple rejections are the worst thing ive heard though

yeah but i feel like the vandy prelim one said something more along the lines of IF you interview advanced. To me, the yale one seemed to imply a "when you interview"
who knows...keepin' my fingers crossed tho

I'd go back and look for sure at the vandy email, but i deleted the messages i've received from them already

sorry to hear. that's kind of a douchey thing to do by them though. i think the UAB multiple rejections are the worst thing ive heard though

Meh you'll see much worse things as the cycle goes on.

Last year there was a program who sent an email titled "Inrerview at x" that was a rejection.

Meh you'll see much worse things as the cycle goes on.

Last year there was a program who sent an email titled "Inrerview at x" that was a rejection.
ha, someone has a sick sense of humor out there

No. The worst is a program that sent me an interview invite, and then sent another e-mail saying "just kidding".

No. The worst is a program that sent me an interview invite, and then sent another e-mail saying "just kidding".

Seriously? And 3 UAB rejection emails? That is some bad karma, I'm sorry.

Is it appropriate to ask programs on interview day what their board pass rates are?

Is it appropriate to ask programs on interview day what their board pass rates are?

No and it's not useful. The first group of residents will take the new boards this year.

Anyone have any insight into Texas programs? How about Texas Tech and Scott & White?

Anyone have any insight into Texas programs? How about Texas Tech and Scott & White?

Didn't apply to Texas, but from what I've heard they're both at the bottom. Definitely heard negative things about Tech, seem to recall similar disparaging comments about S&W.

Best place to ask + search past threads is Aunt Minnie, not here.

I am starting to question the value on going on 10+ interviews. Seems like your chance of matching is near 99% with that many ranks. I know in the past people have said go on as many as possible to find "hidden gems".

Untitled.png

If you look at the page after that in Charting Outcomes in the Match (don't know how to copy the image to here), you can see the exact percentage for each number of ranked programs. It looks like 10 programs is about 93% chance and it hits 99% with about 15-16. I don't know how they came up with that chart since if you look at the one you posted then only 4 people out of 700 or so didn't match if they ranked 10 or more.

If you look at the page after that in Charting Outcomes in the Match (don't know how to copy the image to here), you can see the exact percentage for each number of ranked programs. It looks like 10 programs is about 93% chance and it hits 99% with about 15-16. I don't know how they came up with that chart since if you look at the one you posted then only 4 people out of 700 or so didn't match if they ranked 10 or more.

I was wondering the same thing. maybe b/c the number of applicants who ranked 16 plus is so much more...it creates that curve (from 90-99%).
But according to the above chart, if you rank 10 or more, you have nearly the same probability of matching, ~98%.

Last edited:
Well the issue is seeing programs. If you apply nationally, it'd be hard to interview at < 13 places and see a broad swath of the country. If you're set on a specific part of the country, perhaps you could narrow things a bit.

I had a quick question regarding Step 2. My step 1 is in 250s, and I am targeting for a Radiology residency in Midwest. What should be your strategy in terms of taking Step 2 and releasing your score? This is specifically for radiology programs in Midwest. Any help would be appreciated!