2012-2013 Loyola University (Stritch) Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question for current students. When Trinity took over the hospital in 2011, they promised $300 million worth of equipment and capital to the hospital over the next five years. I know the new emergency department opened not that long ago, and a postpartum unit renovation is planned, but has there been anything else going on that you guys know about? Thanks.

I'll address the question but it is hard for me to answer it since I have a few months till im in the hospital everyday. The new ED is sexy and shiny and there has been overall improvements in the aesthetics of the hospital. As for specific departments I have no idea.

In regards to the match list I have been unable to get an electric copy and transcribing the one in the atrium doesn't seem like an effective use of my time, sorry. Will post it if it comes around.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll address the question but it is hard for me to answer it since I have a few months till im in the hospital everyday. The new ED is sexy and shiny and there has been overall improvements in the aesthetics of the hospital. As for specific departments I have no idea.

In regards to the match list I have been unable to get an electric copy and transcribing the one in the atrium doesn't seem like an effective use of my time, sorry. Will post it if it comes around.
Thanks!

Anyone know how generous (or stingy) Loyola typically is with financial aid? I'm fortunate enough to be deciding between a couple schools so $ will probably factor into my decision.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when Stritch will be sending out Fin Aid award notices?

So if we are on the waitlist, should we send update letters before or after May 15th?

When I interviewed they said to show as much love as possible. So I would say now!! And keep updating them/ sending LOI's periodically!

Has anyone received a schedule for the second look on Friday?

They sent an email out today saying that the schedule was posted....but I get an error when I try to follow the link on the Second Visit page. Hopefully it will be corrected by sometime tomorrow at the latest.

They sent an email out today saying that the schedule was posted....but I get an error when I try to follow the link on the Second Visit page. Hopefully it will be corrected by sometime tomorrow at the latest.

Here's the itinerary:

Attachments

• second_visit_agenda_with_times_1.pdf
    147.8 KB · Views: 126
Members don't see this ad :)
Wish I could be at second look! Would one of you post a summary of the day and highlights of what you learned when you return, please? That would be so helpful!

The link they emailed you has a comma at the end of it...just delete it in your address bar and you'll get to the right place.

Sooooo... What's the attire for Second Look? Button-up, khakis, and semi-dress shoes?

Sooooo... What's the attire for Second Look? Button-up, khakis, and semi-dress shoes?

Pretty much. I'm wearing slacks, button up, and dress shoes.

Question: Does anyone know what day orientation starts this year? I'm going to be out of the country until Sat. July 27 and I'm a little nervous haha :)

Question: Does anyone know what day orientation starts this year? I'm going to be out of the country until Sat. July 27 and I'm a little nervous haha :)

Cuttin' it a little close man. That would be a good question to ask at Second Look. Looking forward to meeting some of you tomorrow.

It should be July 29. You may want to double check by going to the academic calendar.

See you guys tomorrow

Wish I could be at second look! Would one of you post a summary of the day and highlights of what you learned when you return, please? That would be so helpful!

Wrote up a little blurb about it, which you can read here if you want. It was an awesome day, and I really look forward to attending Loyola.

To any current students (or anyone, I suppose): My wife and I are looking at renting a two bedroom house in south Forest Park, about five minutes from the school. Rent is $1100, and utilities would probably be another $100-150. We would probably be pretty much be relying on loans. It's a little pricier than we were hoping, but overall not a bad deal. Would that be reasonable, as far as "living on loans" goes?

We were told at second look that they finished upperclass last week and will be working on M1s this week.

We were told at second look that they finished upperclass last week and will be working on M1s this week.

This.

Also, they apparently use the same financial aid program as the undergrad, so they have to wait for the undergrad to open it up.

Is anyone looking for a roommate for next year? I am coming to look at houses in May so it would be nice to have something set up by then. Also, is there a Facebook page or anything for the accepted class? It would be nice to have a way to stay in contact with everyone!

Is anyone looking for a roommate for next year? I am coming to look at houses in May so it would be nice to have something set up by then. Also, is there a Facebook page or anything for the accepted class? It would be nice to have a way to stay in contact with everyone!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/561678707195593/

And there's a roommate survey you can fill out on there!

I have decided, very hard decision I must point out, to withdraw from Loyola. Can anyone tell me how Loyola prefers us to do that? Is an email ok or do they prefer a different method? Thanks!

I have decided, very hard decision I must point out, to withdraw from Loyola. Can anyone tell me how Loyola prefers us to do that? Is an email ok or do they prefer a different method? Thanks!

I would think just a simple email would do. Sorry to see you leave. Good luck!

Random question for those who have been inside the SSOM building: I have AT&T, and I get great service in Chicago and in the suburban area surrounding the school itself. Heck, I get good service in the health and fitness center and in the hospital. But once I step inside the building....nothing. Anyone else noticed this?

Random question for those who have been inside the SSOM building: I have AT&T, and I get great service in Chicago and in the suburban area surrounding the school itself. Heck, I get good service in the health and fitness center and in the hospital. But once I step inside the building....nothing. Anyone else noticed this?

I had this exact same issue, I think I read somewhere that T Mobile is the only carrier that gets coverage in the school. I think that not having any reception in the building might be a difficult barrier. If any current students could give some insight on this that would be helpful.

Yeah I have Verizon and had terrible service.

Just withdrew from the waitlist, good luck to everybody else!

I had this exact same issue, I think I read somewhere that T Mobile is the only carrier that gets coverage in the school. I think that not having any reception in the building might be a difficult barrier. If any current students could give some insight on this that would be helpful.

I believe this question came up a couple of times in the fb group, and the response given was Sprint (perhaps T-Mobile too? Too lazy to scroll down the 100 posts on the fb page :p)

wow... spamming rejected applicants with info about their masters program. classy move.

Meh. Bummer. Ah well...

FWIW...just wanted to mention....I was told by an M2 that almost every square foot of the medical center is covered with wifi. Your email should always come through, as well as iMessages, etc. Unless you're (not you specifically, eef) worried about missing calls, and a few text msgs here and there, I don't think it's something to be overly concerned about (if you have an existing contract with another wireless carrier).

FWIW...just wanted to mention....I was told by an M2 that almost every square foot of the medical center is covered with wifi. Your email should always come through, as well as iMessages, etc. Unless you're (not you specifically, eef) worried about missing calls, and a few text msgs here and there, I don't think it's something to be overly concerned about (if you have an existing contract with another wireless carrier).

Yeah, it's really not a huge deal...more of a minor inconvenience than anything. But, I suppose one can't have everything. Otherwise, Loyola is awesome. :rolleyes:

To any current students (or anyone, I suppose): My wife and I are looking at renting a two bedroom house in south Forest Park, about five minutes from the school. Rent is $1100, and utilities would probably be another $100-150. We would probably be pretty much be relying on loans. It's a little pricier than we were hoping, but overall not a bad deal. Would that be reasonable, as far as "living on loans" goes?

We pay $550 a person, not including utilities, for a house in Forest Park, which seems to be less than what many others are paying despite our place being pretty damn decent. I'd therefore say $1100 is right on par as a reasonable asking price, and should be manageable on loans. I myself am subsisting entirely on loans, and have found it sufficient to pay my bills (which include car payments), to eat like a glutton, and occasionally have a little fun. That said, I only have my individual expenses to worry about. Are you supporting your wife entirely, or we she have a job / loans of her own?

Yeah, it's really not a huge deal...more of a minor inconvenience than anything. But, I suppose one can't have everything. Otherwise, Loyola is awesome. :rolleyes:

You will surprised at the amount of places you can pick up a call at school. Two places were it will 100% not happen are the atrium (hang out with classmates instead!) or the lecture halls (shouldn't be on the phone anyways). Most study areas have cell service. I would know, I abuse Jimmy John's delivery on exam weeks.

We pay $550 a person, not including utilities, for a house in Forest Park, which seems to be less than what many others are paying despite our place being pretty damn decent. I'd therefore say $1100 is right on par as a reasonable asking price, and should be manageable on loans. I myself am subsisting entirely on loans, and have found it sufficient to pay my bills (which include car payments), to eat like a glutton, and occasionally have a little fun. That said, I only have my individual expenses to worry about. Are you supporting your wife entirely, or we she have a job / loans of her own?

Thanks! Neither of us have loans from undergrad. She will be working, though...at least for a little while. ;)

You will surprised at the amount of places you can pick up a call at school. Two places were it will 100% not happen are the atrium (hang out with classmates instead!) or the lecture halls (shouldn't be on the phone anyways). Most study areas have cell service. I would know, I abuse Jimmy John's delivery on exam weeks.

Thanks, Goober. Good to know. :thumbup:

Does anybody have any ballpark number for how many people are on the waitlist come May 15th? 20? 100? 200?
I just want to know if I have a slim-to-none chance of getting off the waitlist, or if it will be more like 50%, or somewhere in between.

Does anybody have any ballpark number for how many people are on the waitlist come May 15th? 20? 100? 200?
I just want to know if I have a slim-to-none chance of getting off the waitlist, or if it will be more like 50%, or somewhere in between.

No one has a guess?

No one has a guess?

The waitlist movement is what really matters... not the number of people on the waitlist. Unless you have some sort of info as to what to expect w.r.t. the waitlist moving, having a waitlist of 1 person or 1000 people probably shouldn't comfort you. If someone said last year that the waitlist was 2 people long, those two people would have thought their chances were nearly 100%... but the waitlist didn't move at all IIRC. Just take a deep breath and roll with it. Making assumptions will only help to drive you crazy and stress you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.