2012-2013 Anesthesiology Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, I have a rigid "one move only" rule for personal reasons... it sort of sucks. I thought about trying for the local prelim and TY spots so I could do adv as well, but there are only 4 local prelims (<15 spots total) and 2 TY programs (each with 2-3 spots).

The problem is, if you rank cat1, adv1, then cat2, if you match at adv1 but do NOT match a prelim then you are screwed. It would be nice if it would just bump you down to cat2, cat3, cat4, etc., but what would happen is that you'd be stuck with the adv1 match then you'd have to SOAP for a prelim (which could be a HUGE PITA). I looked it up and I'm certain it works this way.

That's a situation that worried me a little, which is why I upped the number of prelims I'm applying to. I would be miserable if I SOAP'd into a PGY1 surgery program.

Members don't see this ad.

That's a situation that worried me a little, which is why I upped the number of prelims I'm applying to. I would be miserable if I SOAP'd into a PGY1 surgery program.

For me the concern wouldn't be doing a surgery prelim, it would be ending up in a city that is in the middle of nowhere AND violating my "one move" condition

Members don't see this ad :)
First invites by email this AM. NYU & OSU. NYU only mentioned two closeby hotels but didn't make any mention of covering hotel stay. Pumped about interviews though! This sounds like it'll be more fun than med school interviews :) ... First job!

First invites by email this AM. NYU & OSU. NYU only mentioned two closeby hotels but didn't make any mention of covering hotel stay. Pumped about interviews though! This sounds like it'll be more fun than med school interviews :) ... First job!

Congrats! :thumbup::thumbup:

Is that Oregon, Ohio, or Oklahoma?

hmm... I was hoping this was not the case, but whatever. I mean, it really does not benefit the programs to "rank everyone the same". It makes the most sense to rank the "categorical only" people who you really wanted at the top, then you'd fill in any remaining spots with people who are willing to do categorical OR advanced.

What I'm saying is that if you give someone a categorical spot when they also applied for (and likely ranked) an advanced spot, you could easily bump off a great candidate who only wanted the categorical spot. Say a program has 5 categorical spots and 15 advanced spots... if you ranked the 5-10 best "only categorical" applicants (which they could see in ERAS) as the top 5-10 picks, you'd probably get 5 then you could fill spots 6-20 with your top choice advanced applicants. However, if you ranked based on who you wanted the most, you might give some of those people who matched "advanced" in the previous scenario the categorical spots instead. In doing so, the previously mentioned "only categorical" people would not match then you'd basically match people who were actually less desirable (i.e. lower on your rank list) as advanced candidates to fill out your list.

Unless something has changed since last year, the programs will submit a separate list for categorical and advanced spots. Usually the lists are similar, because as previous posters have pointed out, most people will apply categorical and advanced. Having helped make a rank list for the past two years, I can tell you that there are very few people that apply for only advanced spots, and they usually have some sort of unique situation/circumstances, though that isn't always the case.

I'm not sure how the pendulum has swung lately, but I know that when I was applying, it seemed as if most programs that had both adv/cat spots had far more cat spots than advanced. This favors the applicants that are applying categorical, simply because of the number of spots available. The spots are designated adv/cat before the match, so it isn't one giant pool of people for some undefined number of spots.

Don't know if that helps you at all, but good luck!

ya it's ohio state (oklahoma is an osteopathic school which allopathic students cant apply to. and oregon is ohsu).

Hey all, MS3 here wishing everyone the best of luck on matching into their #1 spot. Hope to be joining at least some of you the following year :D. After resisting it for so long I have come to accept that gas has got the best of all worlds in terms of medical specialties and attracts the most awesome type of people so no matter where you match you will be doing something great with some of the greatest docs around.

I feel like my post shut everyone up so I just wanted to bump it

Last edited:
So are we listing interview invites in this forum or is there another separate forum for 2012-2013 interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
advice for all you guys applying ----

when i was in your shoes 6 short years ago, my wife and i were couples matching, we were DOs, and we were worried. i think i applied to over 50, so did she; i interviewed at 16, she interviewed at 21. that's a lot of money in applications, flights, rental cars, hotels, food. although - we ultimately ended up matching at our first choice - maybe it was all a waste.

anyway, we put it all on a southwest airlines card, and with points were able to score two free airline tickets. comes in handy during that blowoff period after match and before july 1st.

pick a credit card with some reward benefit and use it for everything.

I took advantage of getting a SW cc a few months back and just for getting it they gave me 66,000 free points (~10 cheap one way flights) so it's a good option for those who travel frequently.

Probably $2000+

yeah 70 anesthesia programs would cost:

$92 (incl. 10 programs) + 10x$9 + 10x$15 + 40x$30 = $1532, then add in the transcript fee so you're looking at ~$1600

Adding prelim/TY if you also wanna go for advanced positions increases the cost substantially as well

yeah 70 anesthesia programs would cost:

$92 (incl. 10 programs) + 10x$9 + 10x$15 + 40x$30 = $1532, then add in the transcript fee so you're looking at ~$1600

Adding prelim/TY if you also wanna go for advanced positions increases the cost substantially as well

So aside from trying to save loan money between now and next year, what is out there in the way of "residency application/ relocation loans"?

So aside from trying to save loan money between now and next year, what is out there in the way of "residency application/ relocation loans"?

I'm not sure... sorry. I purposely overborrowed my med school loans my whole time here, so I've got over 15g's in the bank of extra loan money. That was my plan and it seems that it will work well.

I'm not sure... sorry. I purposely overborrowed my med school loans my whole time here, so I've got over 15g's in the bank of extra loan money. That was my plan and it seems that it will work well.

I had some expensive automotive bills which depleted my stash. I have a year to do it so the apps I'm not worried about. It's the interview flights/lodging where u think there is the most variability.

I had some expensive automotive bills which depleted my stash. I have a year to do it so the apps I'm not worried about. It's the interview flights/lodging where u think there is the most variability.

most places i'm looking will pay for the hotel, as well as dinner the night before and lunch on interview day. so i'll pretty much only have to cover travel expenses. I'll be attending about 12 interviews, 4 are flights and the others are <6 hour drives. I'm thinking I'll probably spend $2000 total on gas/flights/hotels to visit all 12 places, plus the money I spent on sending out 30 apps through eras. So, overall I'm looking at probably $2600... not a lot of money really

I am writing to share my experience as an anesthesiologist for those considering the field. It is anecdotal and carries a low level of evidence. I am a PP anesthesiologist with
3 years experience in a top tier academic setting and approximately 1.5 in PP. Anesthesia is a field that affords competitive compensation and a reasonable lifestyle: that is where the fairytale ends. It is a service oriented field where one's competence is judged solely upon his service (namely, attitude). There are plenty of groups out there willing to hire hungry young docs as employees but partnership is going the way of the dodo. You may ask yourself, how does one stand out in the field. That too is a good question. Our knowledge base and skill set is poorly understood by others. I had competitive numbers for ANY field, have taught myself echo (and received Advanced Certification), and I feel my skill set is razor sharp from airways to blocks, lines, and IV's. I may do 20 blocks a week but if we roll back late once, I get to answer for it. I routinely find echo data that goes ignored by the CT surgeons. We are allowed to play "perioperative doctor" all we want as long as it doesn't cause a hiccup in the schedule. In short, we have made ourselves obsolete, allowing CRNA's to care for patients and surgeons to dictate workflow. Additionally, I am easily the most efficient in my practice and my reward is to frequently see my "senior partner's" patients as well as my own while they get paid more. No promise of partnership exists. I realize this may all sound trite to those in residency and many, particularly those behind the bell curve, will just be happy with a good paycheck. However, for those seeking fulfillment and self actualization, anesthesia may prove a tortuous route.

I am writing to share my experience as an anesthesiologist for those considering the field. It is anecdotal and carries a low level of evidence. I am a PP anesthesiologist with
3 years experience in a top tier academic setting and approximately 1.5 in PP. Anesthesia is a field that affords competitive compensation and a reasonable lifestyle: that is where the fairytale ends. It is a service oriented field where one's competence is judged solely upon his service (namely, attitude). There are plenty of groups out there willing to hire hungry young docs as employees but partnership is going the way of the dodo. You may ask yourself, how does one stand out in the field. That too is a good question. Our knowledge base and skill set is poorly understood by others. I had competitive numbers for ANY field, have taught myself echo (and received Advanced Certification), and I feel my skill set is razor sharp from airways to blocks, lines, and IV's. I may do 20 blocks a week but if we roll back late once, I get to answer for it. I routinely find echo data that goes ignored by the CT surgeons. We are allowed to play "perioperative doctor" all we want as long as it doesn't cause a hiccup in the schedule. In short, we have made ourselves obsolete, allowing CRNA's to care for patients and surgeons to dictate workflow. Additionally, I am easily the most efficient in my practice and my reward is to frequently see my "senior partner's" patients as well as my own while they get paid more. No promise of partnership exists. I realize this may all sound trite to those in residency and many, particularly those behind the bell curve, will just be happy with a good paycheck. However, for those seeking fulfillment and self actualization, anesthesia may prove a tortuous route.

As an aspiring anesthesia applicant, this is one of the most depressing things outside of Blade's threads that I have read. Thank you for your honesty and insight.