2011 Waitlist Blues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I feel like most of the action happens on mondays... I'd like to see some mid-week action!

I think a lot of schools are on Spring Break...I emailed one school for wait-list update and don't get a response...sucksssss b/c it slows down my final decision making...:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, I have one more question. My program is a mentor model so am I a waitlist only for her lab or for the program as a whole?

So, I e-mailed professors close to a month ago asking about offers (all post-interview, almost a month after the interviews had taken place), and was told by all that I was on their waitlists. Now, I have been sitting here, ever so patiently, hoping for the phone to ring. I am wondering what the etiquette would be on re-emailing professors to see if there has been any movement on the waitlists. Is this something I shouldn't do at all? Or is this something I could do to let them know I am still interested?

Since it's been a few weeks, I think you're fine to email the professors and ask for an update. I'd be surprised if someone felt pestered by that level of contact. Plus, it's a good opportunity to reiterate your interest and keep yourself fresh in the prof's mind! Good luck!

So, I e-mailed professors close to a month ago asking about offers (all post-interview, almost a month after the interviews had taken place), and was told by all that I was on their waitlists. Now, I have been sitting here, ever so patiently, hoping for the phone to ring. I am wondering what the etiquette would be on re-emailing professors to see if there has been any movement on the waitlists. Is this something I shouldn't do at all? Or is this something I could do to let them know I am still interested? Or, should I wait until the beginning of April when the supposed "rush" of invites comes out to those on the waitlist? Guess I'm looking for some advice in this ever-so-frurstrating situation...

Also, when IS the supposed rush of offers to waitlistees supposed to start? I need to schedule that into my planner so I can be sure to have my phone at ALL times ;) Good luck everyone!!

Since you've allowed a fair amount of time to pass, I think it's perfectly acceptable to re-email them again and inquire. it will also be an indication of your high level of interest in their programs, which is good. to get a better idea of where you stand, i suggest asking them in which position are you on the wait-list - are you high, medium or low. I would also ask what is the likelihood of a person of (high/med/low) standing on the waitlist being offered admittance, in terms of what has happened in past years. good luck!

To any of the posts above worried about waitlists:

If you are on a waitlist, do not think the worst! I have received two of my three offers from a waitlist. Both offers were super high on my list of schools. It DOES happen, so please don't lose hope or let anybody make you think you are crazy for holding onto hope!!!!

Best of luck!:xf::xf:

i am currently on the waitlist for 3 schools, with no admission offers. i applied for 8 schools, interviewed at 5 schools, was rejected post-interview at 2 schools (including my top choice :() and then waitlisted at 3 others. my mentors are all telling me to hang in there and not give up hope, because schools have a waitlist for a reason - they usually go to it, and it would be pretty harsh odds if i didn't get into ANY of the three schools. i can't help but feel completely despondent and pessimistic though! i've been working towards this goal for so long now, and the thought of having to go to a plan B (again) is just beyond comprehension right now. i feel like i'm just going through the motions of life right now without really thinking about the reality of anything because that's pretty much all i can manage right now ... :confused::scared:

i am currently on the waitlist for 3 schools, with no admission offers. i applied for 8 schools, interviewed at 5 schools, was rejected post-interview at 2 schools (including my top choice :() and then waitlisted at 3 others. my mentors are all telling me to hang in there and not give up hope, because schools have a waitlist for a reason - they usually go to it, and it would be pretty harsh odds if i didn't get into ANY of the three schools. i can't help but feel completely despondent and pessimistic though! i've been working towards this goal for so long now, and the thought of having to go to a plan B (again) is just beyond comprehension right now. i feel like i'm just going through the motions of life right now without really thinking about the reality of anything because that's pretty much all i can manage right now ... :confused::scared:

I am in a similar mood and place only that I got one offer and wait-listed at one school which is my top choice. I am no. 2 or 3 there and they have not heard back from the one who got the offer. Does anyone know how my chances might be, considering that it is position 3 or 4??? It sounds hopeless to me and I am on the edge of accepting the offer I got...but who knows...:confused:

I am in a similar mood and place only that I got one offer and wait-listed at one school which is my top choice. I am no. 2 or 3 there and they have not heard back from the one who got the offer. Does anyone know how my chances might be, considering that it is position 3 or 4??? It sounds hopeless to me and I am on the edge of accepting the offer I got...but who knows...:confused:
at least you got an offer though! you know that you are at least getting a doctoral degree, even though it may not be your top choice school. there is still the option. also i have no idea what position i am on any of the waitlists, as none of the schools would say. so it just seems like, who knows if still holding out hope is just dumb or what?

at least you got an offer though! you know that you are at least getting a doctoral degree, even though it may not be your top choice school. there is still the option. also i have no idea what position i am on any of the waitlists, as none of the schools would say. so it just seems like, who knows if still holding out hope is just dumb or what?

well...that's right. I did get an offer you have not yet and waiting can be a pain. Try to think positive though and trust that you indeed will get in one of the three. I understand that the moving starts in April when folks HAVE to finalize there choices. You may end up with more than one...if it helps you...I got rejections from all Ph.D. programs I applied to and the two I have (i.e., one offer, one wait-listed) are both Psy.D. programs...so, instead of going thru all this again, I decided to stay with a Psy.D. even though I do not feel completely 100% good about it. At least, they are U based :)

G'luck :luck:

well...that's right. I did get an offer you have not yet and waiting can be a pain. Try to think positive though and trust that you indeed will get in one of the three. I understand that the moving starts in April when folks HAVE to finalize there choices. You may end up with more than one...if it helps you...I got rejections from all Ph.D. programs I applied to and the two I have (i.e., one offer, one wait-listed) are both Psy.D. programs...so, instead of going thru all this again, I decided to stay with a Psy.D. even though I do not feel completely 100% good about it. At least, they are U based :)

G'luck :luck:
ah, that does make a difference! it can be a lot to wrap your head around that what you originally envisioned isn't going to happen. i know i have been there before, and may again soon enough! i am doing counseling phd (not clinical). i know some people who decided to do psyd as a backup, but i decided i didn't want to go that route. i am graduating with my masters this may, so on the bright side, if i don't get into a phd program, i can work in the field and then apply again in the fall. it's a lot to think about... but hopefully that won't happen! thanks for the vote of confidence, and best of luck to you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm waitlisted (first in line) and know the person who was made the offer. I also know that they are holding on to 4 offers!! Can they do that? Do I really have to wait until April 15th or do mentors have their own deadlines? People need to start making decisions already! I know that interview day can change people's mind about a program, but the majority of the decision making should be done beforehand. E.g. Would I live there? Could I afford it? How do I rank this program? etc UG!

I'm waitlisted (first in line) and know the person who was made the offer. I also know that they are holding on to 4 offers!! Can they do that? Do I really have to wait until April 15th or do mentors have their own deadlines? People need to start making decisions already! I know that interview day can change people's mind about a program, but the majority of the decision making should be done beforehand. E.g. Would I live there? Could I afford it? How do I rank this program? etc UG!
according to APA best practices, once people have 2 offers, they should really be making a decision... it's just not fair to everyone else! but then again, i guess some people are willing to go against the honors system if it's in their best interest :oops:/

good thing we're all becoming nice, *ethical* psychologists :D

Do you think I should contact a school I interviewed at and heard nothing back from? This was my #1 school until they neglected to notify me of anything! And I heard of others on interview day getting accepted, waitlisted, so I kind of gave up. But do you think its best, just in case, to find out? Could they possibly be holding on to me for some odd reason?

Another question - I got off the waitlist! It does happen. :) So this is now my #2 school (also based on the very poor location it is in) but I am still waiting to hear back any word from my last interview in order to accept #2.

But here is the question I have, which is confusing me: If waitlist movement occurs once all first acceptances/rejections occur at ALL schools, once all these schools have made initial offers - probably by the 1st of April, and movement occurs, what if my #1 (lets say I get waitlisted there, which of course I won't, cause hopefully they will accept me right away ;) gotta think positively) but let's say for arguments sake I am waitlisted and another applicant denies acceptance exactly APRIL 15th - then technically, I could be offered admission AFTER April 15th? And what if I've already accepted my #2 school offer because I've given up by April 15th? I know this is all hypothetical, but can we change our minds if another school accepts us after april 15th? How does this work? Is that "ethical" or can breaking an acceptence be done in our own best interest - or will you be shunned from the psych community and APA conventions? :confused:

Ok sorry for the longwinded questions- hope it makes sense!

so glad there's others with me waiting on waitlists to move. I feel like if I got an acceptance right now, I would have an answer immediately- what are you people with acceptances doing right now?- make a decision!!!- I'm totally joking by the way, I respect your right to wait- I'm just venting

I have acceptances right now but I am waiting on my last school (and also my first choice program) to decide. I did decline one school about a week ago to hopefully open up a spot on the wait list. I want to have all my viable options in front of me when I hear news about my 1st choice program.

I am waitlisted at 3 schools. The POI at my top choice sent me an email stating that she extended the offer to someone else, and she may be able to offer me the position if the applicant declines. When we talked on the phone two weeks ago, I learned that her lab has not yet decided which of the three remaining applicants would be offered the position next. Would it be appropriate at this time to send an email asking for information as to whether the applicant who received the offer accepted, and if not, if her lab has decided on the order of the waitlist?

Another question - I got off the waitlist! It does happen. :) So this is now my #2 school (also based on the very poor location it is in) but I am still waiting to hear back any word from my last interview in order to accept #2.

Congrats! Yes, I'd definitely contact the school you haven't heard back from, for peace of mind if nothing else. I think some schools (and POIs) are better than others about letting you know your status. And if you're not on the waitlist, at least you know you can go ahead and accept your #2!

Is that "ethical" or can breaking an acceptence be done in our own best interest - or will you be shunned from the psych community and APA conventions? :confused:

As far as I know, most things are settled by or on April 15, but sometimes a spot falls through, and schools will go to their waitlists after April 15. So it's possible. That said, once you've accepted your current offer, you're ethically obligated to attend. If you do get a post-April 15 acceptance, you could always explain the situation to your #2 school and ask them to release you. But you'd really be putting them in a bad position -- they might not have any great candidates in the wings after telling everyone that the spots are taken. You'd have to weigh the possibility of creating bad blood between you and the program with whatever you would gain by attending your #1 school. I don't think you'd be shunned by the greater psychological community, but people do have long memories: down the line, you may be a candidate for a post-doc or faculty position at school #2.

Hi,
I'm waitlisted at both Pace and La Salle... does anyone know if these schools usually draw upon their waitlists?

Just got an email from my POI at my number 1 school saying they have had 100% acceptance so far on their extended offers, but I was still waitlisted until they know final funding numbers. I knew it was going to happen bc it was a great school and program, but I was hoping someone got an acceptance at a slightly more prestigious program.

Hey everyone!! I FINALLY got this to work! haha it wouldnt send me the confirmation email, but here i am!

Anyway, congrats to all who have been accepted so far!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what "near acceptance" means. I was asked whether I would accept an offer with no funding, and that I would hear back sometime before April 15... but they never said I was on the waitlist!!!

I'm SO confused! Any insight??

Hey everyone!! I FINALLY got this to work! haha it wouldnt send me the confirmation email, but here i am!

Anyway, congrats to all who have been accepted so far!

I was just wondering if anyone knows what "near acceptance" means. I was asked whether I would accept an offer with no funding, and that I would hear back sometime before April 15... but they never said I was on the waitlist!!!

I'm SO confused! Any insight??

It sounds like they are considering you if you will attend without funding.

Just got an email from my POI at my number 1 school saying they have had 100% acceptance so far on their extended offers, but I was still waitlisted until they know final funding numbers. I knew it was going to happen bc it was a great school and program, but I was hoping someone got an acceptance at a slightly more prestigious program.

I just wonder whether some professors will make offers to a second person at hand as soon as they find out on phone that the first person is going to decline the offers. So it looks or sounds like 100% but actually it is not?

Sorry...i understand how it feels because I was on the same boat. It is very difficult to be rejected by first-choice school. And I surely hope that you have better luck than me.

I just wonder whether some professors will make offers to a second person at hand as soon as they find out on phone that the first person is going to decline the offers. So it looks or sounds like 100% but actually it is not?

Sorry...i understand how it feels because I was on the same boat. It is very difficult to be rejected by first-choice school. And I surely hope that you have better luck than me.

I wouldn't count on it (i.e., if the first person declines the offer, the professor will make an offer to the next person). I suspect that this probably happens with more offers than not though, so I wouldn't fret too much!

However, I know of at least a few professors who are not following this route this year if their first offer is not accepted. I am acquainted with at least one or two who are still contemplating whether or not they want to continue down the waitlist and another who has all but decided that they will most likely not extend another offer if the first student does not accept. As with everything else in this process, it depends!

G'luck, everyone! :luck:

Hi,
My POI e-mailed me and said I'm high on the alternate list and that she will update me in one week about my status. What does this mean about my exact spot on the list? Has she not determined who is next in line? Also, she said she hopes I really choose to be on this waiting list because she wants to work with me? Do you think she just said that to be nice? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

according to APA best practices, once people have 2 offers, they should really be making a decision... it's just not fair to everyone else! but then again, i guess some people are willing to go against the honors system if it's in their best interest :oops:/

To be fair, some people have legit reasons for holding on to more than one offer at time--I was holding on to three for several weeks last year because I hadn't heard the final information on funding from each of the schools (I was waiting to hear back about assistantships and fellowships I was under consideration for), and funding was a *huge* decision point for me. That said, I was on two waitlists last year (one I was accepted from and one I withdrew from after spending some time on it), so I know how agonizing the wait can feel!

I disagree that it's unethical to back out of an acceptance after April 15 if another spot were to open. You have to do what's right for you. In this whole process, applicants are at the mercy of the schools, their timelines, their waitlists, etc. I think it would be a bit misguided, then, to act against one's interest out of some abstract sense of obligation to a program. I think what's important is that you accept an offer in good faith. However, if circumstances change after April 15, you have a legitimate reason to ask to be released from your offer. And I think provided you do this politely and respectfully, there's no real reason it should burn bridges with anyone. But, hey, even if it does, I say you can't please everybody all the time!

Congrats! Yes, I'd definitely contact the school you haven't heard back from, for peace of mind if nothing else. I think some schools (and POIs) are better than others about letting you know your status. And if you're not on the waitlist, at least you know you can go ahead and accept your #2!

As far as I know, most things are settled by or on April 15, but sometimes a spot falls through, and schools will go to their waitlists after April 15. So it's possible. That said, once you've accepted your current offer, you're ethically obligated to attend. If you do get a post-April 15 acceptance, you could always explain the situation to your #2 school and ask them to release you. But you'd really be putting them in a bad position -- they might not have any great candidates in the wings after telling everyone that the spots are taken. You'd have to weigh the possibility of creating bad blood between you and the program with whatever you would gain by attending your #1 school. I don't think you'd be shunned by the greater psychological community, but people do have long memories: down the line, you may be a candidate for a post-doc or faculty position at school #2.

Roosevelt University's PsyD program emailed me 6 days ago to say that I'm still under consideration. Should I take that as waitlisted?

What are the odds of getting off of St. John's waitlist?

Hi,
I'm waitlisted at both Pace and La Salle... does anyone know if these schools usually draw upon their waitlists?

I was wondering if you could tell me how you found out about the waitlist and when you did for La Salle?

thanks!

also how bad is it if i haven't been offered acceptance/rejection or waitlist from the 2 schools i have left? ahh

I was wondering if you could tell me how you found out about the waitlist and when you did for La Salle?

thanks!

also how bad is it if i haven't been offered acceptance/rejection or waitlist from the 2 schools i have left? ahh

I emailed the program I think on Thursday, and she said that I was on the waitlist! They're probably going to send out notice early this week, I would guess!

This waitlisting process really confuses me. Does anyone else feel this way? My POI said I'm high on her alternate list. What does that mean? She also said that she was happy that I'd consider being chosen for an open spot. I'm really confused about all of this. I would just like to know how many spots there are and where I'm on the list. Is it rude to e-mail them and ask this? It has only been a week since I heard this news. How is everyone handling this waiting process?

I guess my two questions are:
1. What does high alternate mean exactly?
2. How many spots are there?
3. How do you handle this stress?

THANK YOU!

This waitlisting process really confuses me. Does anyone else feel this way? My POI said I'm high on her alternate list. What does that mean? She also said that she was happy that I'd consider being chosen for an open spot. I'm really confused about all of this. I would just like to know how many spots there are and where I'm on the list. Is it rude to e-mail them and ask this? It has only been a week since I heard this news. How is everyone handling this waiting process?

I guess my two questions are:
1. What does high alternate mean exactly?
2. How many spots are there?
3. How do you handle this stress?

THANK YOU!

I can't tell you as I am on the same boat. As I am waiting I am thinking actively about other alternatives if I don't get accepted. I have no ideas also whether I should ask because they will not know until the one who received the offer releases it. However, I do think that some professors may forget to let you know even when the offer is accepted. My advisor asked me to be patient and wait but I am afraid that my silence may not work to my benefit. I think ultimately probably it depends on your POI's personality, such as whether they will be annoyed by further contacts or whether they will forget you if they don't hear from you. For an issue that important to them I doubt that they will just randomly pick a person depending on who contacts them more often.

Hi,

I am 1st alternate at a school, and am anxious to know if i am getting in. I heard about my status towards the beginning of february, and have heard nothing since. Should I email my POI for an update, or just continuing waiting?

I got an offer from a great school (B) that I would love to go to, but holding onto the offer because I'm next in line at my top school (A).

I am wondering how those of you who are in a similar position are responding if/when you are contacted by the school B, who is waiting on you. B obviously wants to know the same thing that we want to know from A. It is somewhat difficult because I do not think it is appropriate to say we are waiting to hear from A- but A can easily say that they are waiting to hear back from the student they gave an offer to first.

Being contacted by them feels like they are adding extra pressure to make a decision. I could understand if i was holding on to two offers, but right now I am at the mercy of school A. What is the best way to respond to school B?

Hi,

I am 1st alternate at a school, and am anxious to know if i am getting in. I heard about my status towards the beginning of february, and have heard nothing since. Should I email my POI for an update, or just continuing waiting?

I am in the same situation. I contacted my POI when I had an update- like that I have received another offer but I would prefer to work with you... Props for not contacting them since the beginning of feb! That is impressive restraint. Most likely they will let you know as soon as they hear any movement, so I would avoid bothering them too much. If you haven't contacted them yet I think it would be ok to check in, but I would be curious what others have to say. I doubt it would help or hurt your chances either way- but might give you some piece of mind.

Has anyone ever been waitlisted at more than two schools? I'm currently waitlisted at 3 schools and I'm hoping that at least one gives me an offer! Hoping probability is on my side!!

I'm slowly losing my mind :/

I have one offer at my last choice program and am wondering if by April 15th, I don't hear from the 3 schools, I should accept the offer. But then what if I get accepted after? Can I withdraw?

This is so stressful!

Hey Everyone,

Just released my wait list spot at Suffolk, hope this helps someone out.:thumbup:

Has anyone ever been waitlisted at more than two schools? I'm currently waitlisted at 3 schools and I'm hoping that at least one gives me an offer! Hoping probability is on my side!!

I'm slowly losing my mind :/

I have one offer at my last choice program and am wondering if by April 15th, I don't hear from the 3 schools, I should accept the offer. But then what if I get accepted after? Can I withdraw?

This is so stressful!

I think your question was answered by someone above perfectly. I agree with him/her that you possibly can ask the school to release you then. I would say it is not very common that the school will give you the offers after April 15 as they usually hear back from all students by then. However, I think it is a complicated issues and it depends on the school whether they are willing to release you or not. Someone may understand it better though as I haven't experienced it before. But I think this is a general rule. It is doable and I think you should try considering that is your future. Come on, the school can always find someone.

I got an offer from a great school (B) that I would love to go to, but holding onto the offer because I'm next in line at my top school (A).

I am wondering how those of you who are in a similar position are responding if/when you are contacted by the school B, who is waiting on you. B obviously wants to know the same thing that we want to know from A. It is somewhat difficult because I do not think it is appropriate to say we are waiting to hear from A- but A can easily say that they are waiting to hear back from the student they gave an offer to first.

Being contacted by them feels like they are adding extra pressure to make a decision. I could understand if i was holding on to two offers, but right now I am at the mercy of school A. What is the best way to respond to school B?

Someone answered exactly the same question above perfectly. I agree that you should not settle for your second choice before hearing back from your first choice. If you settle, more people on the wait list will have to settle as well, or may not have an offer to settle. I think you have the right to wait until April 15. If the program B pretends that they don't know what you are waiting for, they are lying. They have experienced this possibly a thousand times and they don't even need you to tell them what is going on. :luck:

How are people handling the rejections or near-rejections (like "you are very behind on the wait list and quite unlikely that you will get in")? I have only one wait list left except the near-rejection one I mentioned here, and I am feeling worse and worse. And seriously doubting what I did terribly wrong during my interviews. Why didn't people like me? Anyone on the same boat or every one has an offer on their hands?:scared: How do you digest this?:idea:

Hey Everyone,

Just released my wait list spot at Suffolk, hope this helps someone out.:thumbup:

Hi there! I tried to send you a PM but your mailbox was full... probably because you've received a couple of these messages already. Would you mind messaging me and sharing who your POI at Suffolk was? And congrats on your acceptances! :)

Hi,
I'm so nervous. I'm high on a waitlist and I haven't heard anything since last Wednesday. I know it hasn't even been a week and my nerves are getting to me. I have a lot of family stuff going on so that may be the reason there is even more anxiety. However, what is taking this student sooo long to decide. You either want to attend school A or you don't. Okay-Okay I know it isn't that easy but I really needed to vent. What is everyone doing to try and calm their nerves?

What is my probability of being accepted. I'm high on the waitlist with one person still deciding.

Just rememeber- at this point the student you are waiting on is most likely in the same boat as you. The reason they haven't decided is because they are on a wait list somewhere else. No movement is going to happen until that person hears one way or another from the school they are waiting for. Hang in there. I am playing both roles right now myself...

i just found out on sunday night that i was denied acceptance off the waitlist at University of Akron (Counseling PhD)... i was not DYING to go there, but at the same time, I do not have any acceptances, so it just feels like another kick in the teeth, and one step farther from getting where I want to go :( I am still on the waitlist at 2 schools, and I have been on those waitlists for many many weeks now. Which leads me to believe that whoever was admitted at those programs is waiting to hear back from other schools that they like better.... If anyone knows about University of North Texas or Texas Woman's University (both Counseling PhD) please let me know!!!!!!

I was on three waitlists with zero acceptances. Yesterday, I got rejected off the waitlist at my top choice and felt completely defeated. I started thinking about plan B. Today I got my first acceptance and my life is completely changed! I just wanted to say to everybody who is still waiting to hang in there because it seems like movement is starting to happen and it only takes 1 acceptance.:)