2011 Rank List Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
OK, Trajan,
Here is what I would do...
Mt. Sinai
Mayo-Jax
Mayo-Roc
Northwestern
Miami
NYU
Columbia
UIC
St. Luke's
Maryland

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
Having a winning sports franchise might help. You have three franchises, none of which have held a title since 1964. Longest drought of any three-sport city in the country.

I thought the Steamers won a championship for Cleveland in the 90's.

*see what I did there?

I thought the Steamers won a championship for Cleveland in the 90's.

*see what I did there?

:laugh:

ClevelandSteamers.jpg

Help needed deciding...this is a tough decision!! I'd be happy at all these places (all great programs) but life would be very different depending on how it works out...also since most of us SDNers will probably match our #1 :) the choice of which one is #1 and which is #2 is huge!! Just wanted to get some insight to see if I'm missing anything. Thanks guys.

Brigham vs Michigan vs Duke vs Stanford

I've always wanted to live in California, so Stanford would be #1 for me... I've lived in NC and it's also quite lovely (although much more conservative, values-wise). Cost of living is much more reasonable as well. Weather is pretty good, a bit hot in the summers. Boston is really really expensive, but great asian food and amazing music scene...

I guess it just depends on where you want to spend 4 years... Cost of living is a big issue for me but it might not be for other people. I would do:

Stanford
Duke
Brigham
Michigan

But that's based on nothing more than where I'd prefer to live... Best of luck deciding!

Trying to decide which of these two programs to rank higher. Any thoughts on St. Lukes-Roosevelt versus Yale?

I would love to hear people's thoughts on how to rank these schools:

For my number 1: Duke vs. UCLA vs. UPenn ???

then in no particular order. . .

Columbia
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UW
NYU
Yale

Thanks!

Columbia
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UW
NYU
Yale

Thanks!

Duke is the only one I really know about, but based on what I've heard about the other places I'd do Duke, UPenn, UCLA. But you have to figure in if you want to live in LA, which could put UCLA higher on the list if that's important to you.

What are your thoughts on these programs? How would you rank them?

UAB
Wake Forest
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
UNC

Members don't see this ad :)

UAB
Wake Forest
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
UNC

Don't know much about Wake or UNC, but I've heard some things. I'd go Michigan>UAB=Mayo>UNC=Wake. But that's based on geography to some degree as well. Depends on where you want to live, if you don't want sub-20 temps in winter then take out Mayo and Michigan.

UAB
Wake Forest
Mayo (Rochester)
Michigan
UNC

I would put
1. Mayo- great hours, great training (but poor location but if you have no family ties can go to scottsdale or florida for a few months)
2. Michigan- I like AA, great training
3. UNC- Good training, Good Location, I liked the residents there as well
4. UAB- Good training, not great fan of Birmingham but still good stuff to do there, also liked the residents there
5. Wake- Don't know anything about so went fifth but maybe great..just don't know

UW vs OHSU?

OHSU would be choice for me. Did an away rotation there and chair was awesome. Great residents. Amazing city but less traffic then seattle, but still close to seattle. OHSU to me is the top program on the west coast.

Columbia
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UW
NYU
Yale

Thanks!

1. Duke- I am a huge fan of their program and ranked #2 when I ranked. Liked the location and good weather.

but UCLA and UPenn are probably great also but don't know. Go based on location that you like better as you will be great out of any of those programs on your list.

Long time follower of the board - but first time poster. Torn between the following programs:
UW (Seattle)
Emory
UPMC
Michigan
UChicago

Any thoughts?

Long time follower of the board - but first time poster. Torn between the following programs:
UW (Seattle)
Emory
UPMC
Michigan
UChicago

Any thoughts?

All good programs (caveat: I don't know much/anything about UChicago). As a UPMC resident I'm biased but I'll give you the same advice I give interviewees: all else being equal, a reasonable approach to ranking programs is to group them into tiers based on quality of training, reputation, location, etc... and then rank within tiers based on gut feel from the interview. You're fortunate in that these are great programs that will train you well. Only you can determine where you'll be most happy.

My list is no where as impressive, but I would also like help on ranking these programs. Thanks for the help.

UT Houston
Wayne State/DMC
UIC
UMDNJ/Newark
St. Barnabas, NJ

...so I like the earlier advice about organizing into tiers and ranking within each, but I'm still a bit torn so here goes:

Brigham
Cornell
UChicago
Columbia
Baylor
StLukesRoosevelt
NYU
UTHouston
UIC

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

My two criteria are opportunities after residency and overall resident happiness.

BWH vs MGH vs UCSF

Don't know much about Wake or UNC, but I've heard some things. I'd go Michigan>UAB=Mayo>UNC=Wake. But that's based on geography to some degree as well. Depends on where you want to live, if you don't want sub-20 temps in winter then take out Mayo and Michigan.

There is NO way you can say UNC=Wake. UNC has had 2 back to back 2 year accreditation. I am in no way saying it is a bad program (in fact it is a very good program in transition with pretty happy residents at a fine institution), but Wake has a pretty great reputation, The residents are very happy. It might not be AS known nationally, but regionally it is thought to be a outstanding program. If you want to be a hardcore academic, Michigan or Mayo should probably be higher on your list. There is a bit less research at Wake. That said the editor-in-chief of Anesthesiology is at Wake.

Really it is probably most important what you want to do. PP or academics? Where do you want to live for residency and where to you want to practice? UAB is also a great program but is also regional as well.

Those are all great schools, but to say that a school who can't get more than a 2 year cred twice is equal to a school with a great long standing rep with a great Hopkins trained chair and a young motivated PD is a stretch, IMO.

Edited to add: I am actually not implying that you can't get great training at UNC, but with other great schools on your list- unless you LOVED it or have a reason to go there- why risk it? I don't think they are a program on the decline, if anything they will likely improve... it would just give me pause.

Last edited:
Based on the program alone which one would be higher on your rank list University of Vermont vs. Maimonides ??​
If you have any info on any of these programs I would greatly appreciate it.​

My two criteria are opportunities after residency and overall resident happiness.

BWH vs MGH vs UCSF

I'd put BWH on top just because everyone seemed so happy there, and then MGH or UCSF. Didn't go to MGH but heard it was similar atmosphere to UCSF. Depends which coast you want. Also, any of these could be #1 depending on your personality and goals for learning and lifestyle. And definitely where you want to live/work someday. These three programs are some of the best if not the best three programs, so networking will be pretty awesome no matter what.

There is NO way you can say UNC=Wake. UNC has had 2 back to back 2 year accreditation. I am in no way saying it is a bad program (in fact it is a very good program in transition with pretty happy residents at a fine institution), but Wake has a pretty great reputation, The residents are very happy. It might not be AS known nationally, but regionally it is thought to be a outstanding program. If you want to be a hardcore academic, Michigan or Mayo should probably be higher on your list. There is a bit less research at Wake. That said the editor-in-chief of Anesthesiology is at Wake.

I stand corrected. As I said, I don't really know much about either of these programs...thanks for the info, I agree with you assessment.

BWH vs MGH vs UCSF

BWH vs MGH is a tough decision.

MGH - lots of research and educational opportunities but lacking in the social scene. Better location. Shriners offers better peds rotation than BCH. Better regional than BWH. ETHER DOME!

BWH - great research opp and great social scene but appears to be lacking in educational opp for residents (someone please correct this part if I am wrong!). Lack of CRNAs (a + or - depending on how you look at it). Lots of free coffee all day every day! Better OB than all.

Both appear to have happy residents but they also appear to be self selected for the atmosphere at each hospital. Decisions, decisions.

any insight/ help on to how to order these progs :

jefferson
umdnj newark
umdnj robert wood johnson
temple
tufts
maimonides
u of maryland
hershey
stony brook

The day to submit rank lists is fast approaching! Any opinions? I'm really having difficulty making up the first few on my list.
MGH
BID
UPenn
Cornell
Mayo-roc
Dartmouth
CCF
Yale

The day to submit rank lists is fast approaching! Any opinions? I'm really having difficulty making up the first few on my list.
MGH
BID
UPenn
Cornell
Mayo-roc
Dartmouth
CCF
Yale

For me it wouldn't be a hard choice to put BID and MGH at the top...that's based on both the programs and location considering the programs you mentioned

It seems as if I change my ROL on a near daily basis. Would appreciate some insight from any current applicants/current residents. Family-friendly location, clinical exposure, and potential for a career in academic medicine are at the tops of my wish-list:

Columbia University
OHSU
Northwestern University
Rush University
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
Washington University in St. Louis

Cheers and :luck: !

It seems as if I change my ROL on a near daily basis. Would appreciate some insight from any current applicants/current residents. Family-friendly location, clinical exposure, and potential for a career in academic medicine are at the tops of my wish-list:

Columbia University
OHSU
Northwestern University
Rush University
University of Michigan
University of Pennsylvania
University of Vermont
University of Virginia
Washington University in St. Louis

Cheers and :luck: !

1. OHSU- Great program for academics if that is your goal. Portland is really a warmer and better Ann Arbor as long as you don't mind rain.
2. WashU- great program if you want to go into academics, St. Louis not so sure about.
3. UofM- Good program just don't mind the cold.
4. UPenn- Philadelphia is very livable.
5. Northwestern

Disclaimer: people post their lists and request that others rank them out of curiosity. This is a stressful time, and these sort of threads are a fun, harmless way to blow off steam. To the haters, please don't lecture any of us on the obvious flaws with getting anonymous help with a rank list.

That said, any thoughts on ranking this list?

Baystate
U. of Rochester
Temple
UMDNJ - Newark
Upstate
Vermont
Yale

Disclaimer: people post their lists and request that others rank them out of curiosity. This is a stressful time, and these sort of threads are a fun, harmless way to blow off steam. To the haters, please don't lecture any of us on the obvious flaws with getting anonymous help with a rank list.

That said, any thoughts on ranking this list?

Baystate
U. of Rochester
Temple
UMDNJ - Newark
Upstate
Vermont
Yale

Yale
Vermont
Rochester
UMDNJ
Upstate
Temple
Baystate

T -

I think Rochester is wonderful training. Cold, as you know, but inside the hospital, great training. Very happy residents, great experience, and nice folks. I ranked them highly way back when.

I'm at UPMC...for the folks considering ranking it highly or struggling w/where to put it, let me know. I'm very much thankful that I was able to match here - holler if you have questions about it. The real deciding factor for me was the huge commitment to education with a very wide, vast exposure to clinical cases/anesthetic techniques.

Good luck to all with the decision making process!

Anyone want to weigh in on

UPenn v. UCLA v. UW?

Location seems ideal at UCLA (beaches! Mountains! sun!), but I like the international involvement of the program at UW and UPenn seems like the most well-rounded, with amazing fellowships (i.e. CHOP) . Anyone else in a similar bicoastal quandary?

Anyone want to weigh in on

UPenn v. UCLA v. UW?

Location seems ideal at UCLA (beaches! Mountains! sun!), but I like the international involvement of the program at UW and UPenn seems like the most well-rounded, with amazing fellowships (i.e. CHOP) . Anyone else in a similar bicoastal quandary?

I didn't go to UW, so I can't comment on it directly, but between UCLA and Penn, Penn is definitely the stronger program (as you mentioned). I also got the feeling that the faculty were more supportive at Penn than at UCLA. A friend who went to UW as well said he felt UW and Penn were very similar in gestalt. If you want to practice in CA, I would probably rank UCLA higher, but if you plan to move around or plan to practice anywhere other than the West Coast, Penn is probably better. That being said, being that close to Santa Monica is still really nice.

Anyone wants to take a shot at those two for me. Pulling my hair out here for my #2.

MGH
BID
UPenn
Cornell
Mayo-roc
Dartmouth
CCF
Yale

Interviewed at most of these; am at MGH now, and am glad I ranked it first. That said, here's how I would rank your list:

1. MGH: Solid didactics, good atmosphere, fantastic cases
2. Mayo/Rochester: Ridiculous cardiac volume, chance to rock a suit, family-friendly atmosphere, great networking in midwest
3. Yale: great chair, good didactics, great ICU experience
4: UPenn: per report, very strong research program
5: BID: awesome pain service, good support for residents
6: CCF: awesome cardiac volume, white scrubs, good training / simulation center
7: Cornell: didn't interview here
7: Dartmouth: didn't interview here

good luck! it'll be match day sooner than you know :)

Columbia = Yale
UCLA
Duke = Upenn
Vanderbilt
UW
UCSD
NW
NYU

Columbia
UCSD
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
UW
NYU
Yale

Thanks!

My list is no where as impressive, but I would also like help on ranking these programs. Thanks for the help.

UT Houston
Wayne State/DMC
UIC
UMDNJ/Newark
St. Barnabas, NJ

As is. Consider dropping St. Barnabas from the list.

...so I like the earlier advice about organizing into tiers and ranking within each, but I'm still a bit torn so here goes:

Brigham
Cornell
UChicago
Columbia
Baylor
StLukesRoosevelt
NYU
UTHouston
UIC

Any input would be greatly appreciated :)

Brigham
Columbia
Cornell
UChicago
NYU
UTH
UIC
Baylor = STLR

BWH vs MGH vs UCSF

MGH > BWH > UCSF - After residency

I don't know about resident happiness other than BWH is supposedly pretty cush, MGH gets a bad rap on SDN, and UCSF is noted to be relatively malignant compared with Stanford.

any insight/ help on to how to order these progs :

jefferson
umdnj newark
umdnj robert wood johnson
temple
tufts
maimonides
u of maryland
hershey
stony brook

hershey
u maryland
stony brook
temple = jefferson = tufts
umdnj = umdnj
maimonides

MGH
BID
UPenn
Cornell
Mayo-roc
Dartmouth
CCF
Yale

MGH = or > Mayo Roch
CCF = Yale
BID = Cornell
Upenn