* * 2011-2012 Secondary Applications Thread!! * *

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got my secondary from New England and Ewdard via =) still waiting on the other 13 school I applied to.

LMU is online already right? (well it is but I mean should I wait until the sent it to me?)

Members don't see this ad.

Just got my secondary from New England and Ewdard via =) still waiting on the other 13 school I applied to.

LMU is online already right? (well it is but I mean should I wait until the sent it to me?)

Not Edward via I meant LECOM-B lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone that submitted 6.21 and had transcripts in way before then DONE PROCESSING AND VERIFIED? Because mine is still processing and it's July and I'm freaking out as people are already submitting their secondaries...

Are you writing your essays in the 5-paragraph format? I've heard of some people just writing one paragraph essays...

hrm...I applied to UNECOM as well, but I haven't gotten an email from them about filling out a secondary. Does that school give secondaries to people in the New England area first before others?

hrm...I applied to UNECOM as well, but I haven't gotten an email from them about filling out a secondary. Does that school give secondaries to people in the New England area first before others?

I'm honestly not sure, I'm from MI but here's the link for UNECOM all you need is your last name and AACOMAS number without the dash and 2012 :

https://www2.une.edu/com/webtools/supplemental.html.

I'm honestly not sure, I'm from MI but here's the link for UNECOM all you need is your last name and AACOMAS number without the dash and 2012 :

https://www2.une.edu/com/webtools/supplemental.html.

ah, thanks for the link. I put in my info, and I was allowed in. However, in the intro page, it said to wait until a formal invite to fill out the secondary app, so I guess I'll wait. Maybe, certain regions of the country get first priority for secondary apps there? Anyone know?

I believe you can only view your verified GPA when your application is 'RELEASED' to all of the schools. You have to actually receive an e-mail about being 'released', and then click on the 'view' link next to each school to see the summary of your application to that school (in the form of a PDF), which is where you'll find your GPA info. I had no idea about this initially either...but now I know because my applications just got 'RELEASED' today!

It's kind of weird how this process works because it's like a never ending process just for the application to get sent to the schools...first the application has to be 'processed', then some time later 'verified', then some time later 'released'...I wonder if now I have to get confirmation of it being 'received', and then 'opened', and then 'viewed', and then....etc. etc.

Haha, I'm just being sarcastic, but I sure am glad to finally be released! :D

How long did it take after you got verified for your application to be released?

Hey anyone/everyone... Some of the schools have the "any additional information" question. Some people (so I hear) use this to address bad grades or past issues, but I feel it is a spot to highlight qualities, not talk about failings or problems. Can I get a professional's opinion??

i have a q about MSU's secondary, the LOR requirement specifically:

We do not require academic/committee recommendations nor do we ask that one of your recommendations be from an osteopathic physician. The most important consideration is that these individuals know you well. They will be asked about your understanding of osteopathic philosophy, your academic potential, your commitment to service, your communication skills and your level of maturity.

this is what their website says. A family friend, who, say, is a physician, who had seen us grow, knows about our interest.. would this person be used for the LOR?? clearly, even though they have not mentioned, they would not accept family members as referees.. but family friends may meet this requirement... what do you think??? should I go ahead with it (when I get the secondary, that is..) or should I ask them first...?

Hey anyone/everyone... Some of the schools have the "any additional information" question. Some people (so I hear) use this to address bad grades or past issues, but I feel it is a spot to highlight qualities, not talk about failings or problems. Can I get a professional's opinion??

I'm not a professional, but if you do have a discrepancy you need to explain that is the perfect spot for it so that your personal statement can flow without the needed explanations. If you don't have any major discrepancies, then I don't see how it would hurt if you added some good qualities that didn't fit into the essay, volunteering, research, or shadowing categories. Did you have anything specific in mind?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all,
I was looking at NYCOM's supplemental on their website. I was wondering how people are going about filling it out? It says to list each activity and the dates. Is anyone adding a description too? In the FAQs it says to list and describe... I am a little confused because I feel like I should just copy and paste things over from my primary, but isn't that redundant? How is everyone else approaching this? Any advice from anyone? Please let me know!!

Don't know if this has been asked before but I did a board search and did not really come up with anything.

Which DO schools screen (gpa,mcat) before sending out secondary application invites? I know a few MD schools that automatically sends out secondaries before screening like they just want your money, but I'm wondering which DO schools do the same thing.

Thank you!

This afternoon I got the secondaries for AZCOM, ATSU-SOMA, KCOM, RVU-COM. Time to start writing...

How many paragraphs are you guys going to use for secondaries? Is one paragraph good enough?

Is anyone willing to read one of my secondary essays? It's a short one on my concept of osteopathic medicine-150 words. PM me please. Thanks!

Hi guys!!

I'm glad I've finally migrated from AACOMAS Questions thread to this one. I just submitted my primary about an hour ago (a little late I know...) :(

ANWHO, I'm going to start prewriting my secondaries! I have a question about osteopathic LORs for TCOM. It says "An additional evaluation letter may be submitted directly to UNTHSC/TCOM Office of Admissions and Outreach by the evaluator.". Can I use Interfolio for this as well? Or does the DO have to sent his letter straight to TCOM?

Thanks! Goodluck to all of us :thumbup:

Hey all,

Since the previous DO secondary prompt thread is kinda old (from 2006), maybe we should update it? I already found one question that has changed for TCOM. I'm sure this will help prevent people from wasting 1-2 hours prewriting an essay they don't have to do.

Whadya'll say? Here's the old link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=220291

Hi everyone. Sorry if this was already asked and answered but I did a search and couldn't find a reply.

I only applied to ATSU-SOMA and I think I read somewhere that I should forward my Letters of Rec from interfolio to their KCOM campus because that's where all applications are basically collected. Is this true? In Interfolio, their electronic delivery has one for KCOM and another for SOMA. Should I go ahead and choose SOMA then?

Thank you!

Hi guys,

When it asks you to submit your resume/CV, what kinds of things are ya'll putting on there that's different from your application? I have the following categories:

Relevant Coursework
Work experience
Extracurricular (leadership/service stuff)
Tutoring
Research
Awards/Honors
Hobbies

Any advice?

Hey everyone,

Would it be redundant if I used some of the information from my personal statement / activities section of amcas in my secondary applications? Some of the questions are so similar to what I wrote in my personal statment, and I don't know what to do! Do medical schools look heavily down upon that?

I've been searching this thread for an awswer to this but had no luck, so I would appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks!

Hey everyone,

Would it be redundant if I used some of the information from my personal statement / activities section of amcas in my secondary applications? Some of the questions are so similar to what I wrote in my personal statment, and I don't know what to do! Do medical schools look heavily down upon that?

I've been searching this thread for an awswer to this but had no luck, so I would appreciate any advice you guys can give. Thanks!

Some questions do seem to be very redundant! I would say if the secondaries are asking you a question that you covered in the primary you could change the tone or add more detail. Lets say they ask about something you put in the activities section where you wrote it very factually, you could add more details about the experience: someone you helped, what you learned from it, how it will influence your future, etc.
If it was something you covered in your PS is harder because you went through great detail to find the right words. I guess you always cut away the extra and basically outline the facts, or include something that didn't quite fit in with the PS but is pertinent to the topic.

Hey everyone,

quick question. I submitted my primary apps on 7/5 but haven't received any secondaries yet. Is it ok to call the admissions office and ask about the secondary or when they may send it out?

Thanks.

Hey everyone,

quick question. I submitted my primary apps on 7/5 but haven't received any secondaries yet. Is it ok to call the admissions office and ask about the secondary or when they may send it out?

Thanks.

Did your primary even get verified yet? If not, then you'll have to wait for it to be verified before they will release it to individual schools.

Some questions do seem to be very redundant! I would say if the secondaries are asking you a question that you covered in the primary you could change the tone or add more detail. Lets say they ask about something you put in the activities section where you wrote it very factually, you could add more details about the experience: someone you helped, what you learned from it, how it will influence your future, etc.
If it was something you covered in your PS is harder because you went through great detail to find the right words. I guess you always cut away the extra and basically outline the facts, or include something that didn't quite fit in with the PS but is pertinent to the topic.

That's really helpful, thanks Journey2become!!

Did your primary even get verified yet? If not, then you'll have to wait for it to be verified before they will release it to individual schools.

For my AACOMAS Application checklist everything is checked off. So I assume my primary is verified. But it does say as a current status that my app is "prcoessing." Hmmm...maybe I should contact AACOMAS directly.

When your application is verified, you'll get an email from AACOMAS. Did you get that yet? If not, you are not verified.

It will also say verified on the right side of the main page:
AACOMAS Status

Current: Verified.

Sounds like you're in line but not verified yet.

When your application is verified, you'll get an email from AACOMAS. Did you get that yet? If not, you are not verified.

It will also say verified on the right side of the main page:
AACOMAS Status

Current: Verified.

Sounds like you're in line but not verified yet.

Yep, you are right. I emailed AACOMAS and they said the same thing "You will get an email when you are verified." It surprises me how long it takes...all the documents they want are in and have been for a few weeks now. But I guess that's how the process is. Hurry up and wait! Ha.

Did any of you have people proofread your secondary essays? I'm debating whether or not I should spend a couple weeks drafting and redrafting each essay or if I should just turn it in within a few days of receiving each secondary. Some of these essays are long, like Touro-CA's and UMDNJ's.

Do you guys think it's too cliche to use the word holistic in a secondary essay? I've been shying away from using it because, if I were an adcom, I would probably cringe every time I read the word. However, it's kind of hard to express certain sentiments without using that word...thoughts?

Im having some issues writing these essays. I heard a good length is around 500 words but mine are all around 200. The question of why do you want to come here is difficult because ive never even been to these schools and the only thing i have to go off of is their website and location. I feel like my essays are scattered and just random sentences trying to answer the question and make it long enough so it looks like i actually tried.

Do you guys think it's too cliche to use the word holistic in a secondary essay? I've been shying away from using it because, if I were an adcom, I would probably cringe every time I read the word. However, it's kind of hard to express certain sentiments without using that word...thoughts?

I don't think it would be a bad thing, if used properly. However, I could see an adcom being annoyed say you use the word redundantly

Im having some issues writing these essays. I heard a good length is around 500 words but mine are all around 200. The question of why do you want to come here is difficult because ive never even been to these schools and the only thing i have to go off of is their website and location. I feel like my essays are scattered and just random sentences trying to answer the question and make it long enough so it looks like i actually tried.

Having this exact problem too. All around 200 words, and random sentences that don't really flow well together :(

Hi guys,

Until recently I was going to apply to all MD schools. This was mainly due to my lack of DO exposure until around May of this year. Sounds weird, but I live in Montana and their aren't too many DOs walking around.

Anyhow, I have taken a considerable amount of interest and now am finishing up the required steps to pursue DO school, as I am currently finally shadowing a DO physician.

I am not real worried on my competitiveness based on my GPA, MCAT, ECs, and application, but more curious about my timing.

I just submitted my primary about a week ago and it sounds like I won't get this bad boy approved until around the 20th of August, give or take a week. :xf: I will also aim to fire off my secondaries within a week of their receipt. So I will probably have everything submitted around the first to second week of September.

Is this pretty dang late in the current cycle? I only ask as everyone on these threads seem to be a month ahead of me. Again, I'm not worried about my resume, etc. Just more curious to how my timing will affect my competitiveness. Anybody?

EDIT: I'm applying to NYCOM, CCOM Midwestern, PCOM (Philly), DMUCOM, UNECOM, Western COM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM

I'm surprised this thread is so inactive! Cmon guys, let's pick it up! Hopefully it's inactive because everybody is working hard on their secondaries, lol.

I have a question... I applied last cycle, got my primary AACOMAS verified... but I never turned in the secondaries (things happened, so I didn't fill out any of them). NSU-COM asks if I have ever applied to NSU. Would I still select Yes? Even if I didn't fill out a secondary? I'm thinking i should put "yes" since, after all, they did receive my primary... which means I applied there, right? Hmm...

ANOTHER QUESTION! I kept all my DO emails from last year, and I went into some of them to look at what the secondary prompts were and it looks like I can fill out the secondaries for the Fall 2012 cycle even before I get my primary verified (I haven't been verified yet). Is this possible? Or should I jsut wait to submit them after I get the official email from them for this cycle?

Hi guys,

Until recently I was going to apply to all MD schools. This was mainly due to my lack of DO exposure until around May of this year. Sounds weird, but I live in Montana and their aren't too many DOs walking around.

Anyhow, I have taken a considerable amount of interest and now am finishing up the required steps to pursue DO school, as I am currently finally shadowing a DO physician.

I am not real worried on my competitiveness based on my GPA, MCAT, ECs, and application, but more curious about my timing.

I just submitted my primary about a week ago and it sounds like I won't get this bad boy approved until around the 20th of August, give or take a week. :xf: I will also aim to fire off my secondaries within a week of their receipt. So I will probably have everything submitted around the first to second week of September.

Is this pretty dang late in the current cycle? I only ask as everyone on these threads seem to be a month ahead of me. Again, I'm not worried about my resume, etc. Just more curious to how my timing will affect my competitiveness. Anybody?

EDIT: I'm applying to NYCOM, CCOM Midwestern, PCOM (Philly), DMUCOM, UNECOM, Western COM, NSUCOM, MSUCOM

I think you will be fine if your stats are up to par. Have you thought about PNWU? They give preference to applicants from Alaska, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, and Washington.

Hi guys,

So on some of the secondaries it asks for an attached CV/resume. I was wondering what format you all were using for this. Some of them say to include specific things, but are you just making it a regular CV format (like on MS Word)??

Also... for the secondary questions that ask to limit responses to half a page.. is that double or single spaced? (I assume single).

Thanks!

Suppose all other important things (why this school, why you, heathcare issue) have been addressed elsewhere on the secondary. For the "additional info", is it okay to explain extenuating circumstance? I touched on it very briefly (one sentence) on the primary personal statement. Is it unwise to bring a negative aspect up again?
Or should I use this space to update new activities?

Suppose all other important things (why this school, why you, heathcare issue) have been addressed elsewhere on the secondary. For the "additional info", is it okay to explain extenuating circumstance? I touched on it very briefly (one sentence) on the primary personal statement. Is it unwise to bring a negative aspect up again?
Or should I use this space to update new activities?

I'd touch on it again, but spin it positively. Like if you've had bad grades at the start of your undergrad, just say you were immature, and that you've grown a lot since then. Show how you've grown. I'd also mention your plans for what you're going to accomplish this cycle volunteer/career wise. But I'd send them a Letter of Intent in a month or so detailing more about your activities.

ANOTHER QUESTION! I kept all my DO emails from last year, and I went into some of them to look at what the secondary prompts were and it looks like I can fill out the secondaries for the Fall 2012 cycle even before I get my primary verified (I haven't been verified yet). Is this possible? Or should I jsut wait to submit them after I get the official email from them for this cycle?

I wouldn't submit any secondary applications until you receive an invitation from the school to do so.

I remember that PCOM used to put the link to the PDF of their secondary online, but they specifically asked that you not mail it to them until you received an e-mail acknowledging that the admissions office was in receipt of your AACOMAS application.

I used my regular CV- I just added in my information about shadowing and other volunteer work b/c most schools want you to include everything (I listed these under a clubs/organizations heading). Otherwise, standard cv format.

I'd say it's a safe bet to assume single spaced, unless they specify otherwise.

I have secondaries from AZCOM, CCOM, KCOM, COMP (Western), and DMU so far. I didn't know I can't use research professors (taught me independent research courses) for some of my science letters of recommendation, so I have struggled to find two separate science professors that taught me years ago.
One science letter is now complete and the other will not be done for a week to a week and a half. The letter I am waiting on should be the better letter of the two.

Should I wait for the better letter before submitting my secondary apps or will a more 'generic' and less personal science letter suffice?

Since it's rolling admissions, I know every day counts, but I'm not sure what difference a week will make. The letter I have now isn't horrible, but I feel the second letter will be much better written. Most schools only require 1 science LOR so I am not sure what do to.

Isn't the LOR submission independent of the secondary submission? Don't you submit LORs through interfolio or something else like that?

Yes- sorry I should have been a bit more clear. I have submitted my secondary applications already, however, my application will not be reviewed until my letters are in.

this is just me, but i would get EVERYTHING in as soon as I could. then if you want to send in another letter which you feel is better, do that as soon as you get it. so my vote is,

submit now then update with the other letter